IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 14th October 2019, 08:05 AM   #2081
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Unless you can dig up some dirt on the Bidens in the immediate future. Given Trump can't tell fact from fiction these days, I'm sure the remaining toadies are concocting a whole lot of fairy tales like this to stay on Jabba's good side.
I expect to see them chasing red herrings of their own devising just so they look busy when the boss walks by.

(The term "red herring" is really dated, and should perhaps be replaced. I suggest "DNC server" as a more contemporary alternative.)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 09:43 AM   #2082
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I have to wonder why there are still those loyal to Trump. He has a history of throwing everyone under the bus. Loyalty is only one-way with Trump.
I imagine that there is a certain arrogance in some of them that causes them to think they are the one plaything the petulant toddler won't tire of.
Old 14th October 2019, 11:30 PM   #2083
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

My betting is firming on Giuliani.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...chment-inquiry
Quote:
Trump-Ukraine: John Bolton 'sounded alarm about Giuliani's actions'

Fiona Hill testifies that Bolton called Giuliani a ‘hand grenade’
Hill says Bolton likened lawyer’s operation to a ‘drug deal’
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 04:06 AM   #2084
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

My betting is firming on Giuliani.
He doesn't work at the White House
Old 15th October 2019, 04:35 AM   #2085
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

OK, he does political work for Trump who lives in the White House.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 05:11 AM   #2086
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
According to Rudi, he works for the State Department, ... and Trump, ... and the White House, ... and the Justice League.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 03:32 PM   #2087
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
OK, he does political work for Trump who lives in the White House.
I suspect Rudy has met with Trump in the Whitehouse more than Ben Carson has.
Old 15th October 2019, 03:52 PM   #2088
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I suspect Rudy has met with Trump in the Whitehouse more than Ben Carson has.
But does he have a picture on his wall of himself with Jesus?
Old 15th October 2019, 06:36 PM   #2089
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, none of them do.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 01:43 PM   #2090
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

WAPO reports that Mulvaney was the lead person on Trump's Ukraine policy.
Given his already weakened standing with the White House staff and GOP leaders in general, I think he might be tied with Rudy on the 'most likely to be next to go under the bus" list.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 08:09 PM   #2091
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
WAPO reports that Mulvaney was the lead person on Trump's Ukraine policy.
Given his already weakened standing with the White House staff and GOP leaders in general, I think he might be tied with Rudy on the 'most likely to be next to go under the bus" list.
They could be a pair going sub-omnibus. Would that be a first?
Old 16th October 2019, 08:33 PM   #2092
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

How many degrees of separation are we allowed? How about Rudy's now-ex attorney?
Old 16th October 2019, 10:56 PM   #2093
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How many degrees of separation are we allowed? How about Rudy's now-ex attorney?
Given The Mooch lasted only 10 days, did this guy last longer than that?
Old 17th October 2019, 12:41 AM   #2094
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Speaking of ex-attorneys,... how long will Gowdy last if he actually falls back on any actual "legal" advice instead of sucking up and saying "No, no, you're right Don Donaldo, you can do anything you want because you're the president."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 05:19 AM   #2095
Doubt
Philosopher

Rudy: You wanted to see me Mr. President?

Donald: Yes Rudy. No, don't sit down. This won't take long.

Rudy: What is it, Mr. President?

Donald: These two gentlemen need a guide to the nearest bus stop. I'd like you to show it to them.

Rudy: They seem like they could find it themselves.

Donald: I really want you to show it to them. Up Close. Wait with them till the bus shows up.

Rudy: Okay. I will be right back after they are on the bus. Straight back to your office.

Donald: No, that won't be necessary at all.

Rudy: Then I will call you next week.

Donald: Sure Rudy. Next week. Everything will be fine after you meet the bus.......
Old 17th October 2019, 02:06 PM   #2096
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Dept. of I-forget-the-other-one seeking new leadership, for real this time.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1184936650092302348
Old 17th October 2019, 03:33 PM   #2097
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Dept. of I-forget-the-other-one seeking new leadership, for real this time.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1184936650092302348
And Perry is no doubt lawyering up as we speak.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 05:20 PM   #2098
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And Mulvaney is ******. That is unless today was an effort to **** Trump on the way out the door. The disgusting little Leprechaun bastard wouldn't be the first to have their way with Trump on while trying to keep the screen door from hitting them in the ass.
Old 17th October 2019, 05:39 PM   #2099
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
And Mulvaney is ******. That is unless today was an effort to **** Trump on the way out the door. The disgusting little Leprechaun bastard wouldn't be the first to have their way with Trump on while trying to keep the screen door from hitting them in the ass.

Mulvaney just tried to walk back his admission on the Ukraine "I deny saying what I just said on Camera in front of God and everybody".
It is to make one laugh, really.
Flash. One of Trump's real lawyers...not TV Lawyer Rudy just said that Mulvaney did not clear his intial statement with the White House legal staff.
Read what you will into that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th October 2019, 05:57 PM   #2100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And Perry is no doubt lawyering up as we speak.
Perry leaving is really bizarre. Rumor has it that he was going to step down next year any way and work in the private sector. Whic probably means some oil companies will pay him for the policies he implemented at the DOE. You know, give him a huge consulting contract where he basically gets sent a big check every month.

The question is what was his involvement.
Old 17th October 2019, 06:50 PM   #2101
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Mick was perched on the ledge before this fiasco. Ya gotta figure he may not make it through the weekend. Donnie wanted to blame him for the admin staff being so ill-prepared for the impeachment hearings. Now he's learning that hiring people on the basis of "But do they stick up for me?" may not be the best criteria, particularly when "sticking up for Trump" means you open your big mouth when you should've just shut up.

The problem is that these miscreants actually believe the crap they tell each other and that Donnie Johnny's motives are pure and patriotic so they just repeat his misdeed in the assurance that the deplorables just won't care.

Who's on tap to be the next "acting" CoS? Can I still root for Devin? Gotta get his sorry ass-kissing in there to make Trump's suicide drive complete.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 08:44 PM   #2102
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Mick was perched on the ledge before this fiasco. Ya gotta figure he may not make it through the weekend. Donnie wanted to blame him for the admin staff being so ill-prepared for the impeachment hearings. Now he's learning that hiring people on the basis of "But do they stick up for me?" may not be the best criteria, particularly when "sticking up for Trump" means you open your big mouth when you should've just shut up.

The problem is that these miscreants actually believe the crap they tell each other and that Donnie Johnny's motives are pure and patriotic so they just repeat his misdeed in the assurance that the deplorables just won't care.

Who's on tap to be the next "acting" CoS? Can I still root for Devin? Gotta get his sorry ass-kissing in there to make Trump's suicide drive complete.
There is no Chief-of-Staff these days. Anyone in the position is going to be simply a seat-warmer, sycophant and sideshow. Really, it's a great job for loafer who wants to be paid the big bucks to do nothing at all constructive, watch Trump **** things up all by himself, and cheer him on. Maybe Hannity should apply...

Trump has always liked to run his own show, in person, alone. In business, you can probably get away with that...it's a management style, I suppose. But this scatter-gun "You're fired!" mentality designed to "keep your people on their toes" is really reaping its dividends in government now. Government ain't a business. It doesn't work like that. Of course, everyone but Donny knew that going in... Didn't they!
Old 18th October 2019, 03:10 PM   #2103
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Perry leaving is really bizarre. Rumor has it that he was going to step down next year any way and work in the private sector. Whic probably means some oil companies will pay him for the policies he implemented at the DOE. You know, give him a huge consulting contract where he basically gets sent a big check every month.

A lot of that big check will probably go for legal expenses. he is going to probably need the kind of Lawyer who can ask to be billed 500 bucks an hour and get it.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:13 PM   #2104
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There is no Chief-of-Staff these days. Anyone in the position is going to be simply a seat-warmer, sycophant and sideshow. Really, it's a great job for loafer who wants to be paid the big bucks to do nothing at all constructive, watch Trump **** things up all by himself, and cheer him on. Maybe Hannity should apply...

Trump has always liked to run his own show, in person, alone. In business, you can probably get away with that...it's a management style, I suppose. But this scatter-gun "You're fired!" mentality designed to "keep your people on their toes" is really reaping its dividends in government now. Government ain't a business. It doesn't work like that. Of course, everyone but Donny knew that going in... Didn't they!
Problem is any CEO in charge of a large company needs a Chief of Staff or his equivalent just for gatekeeping purposes...he can't waste his time running his office staff. You can't really get away with that in a large business either.
But then who said Donnie was a good CEO.
What he does flies in the face of what any good business/government management school teaches.The techniques of running a large organization are pretty much the same.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 18th October 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 18th October 2019, 04:32 PM   #2105
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Don't know how much there is to this, but there is some speculation that Trump is giving serious consideration to dropping Pence from the ticket.
Reason: Only reason Donnie picked him was to get the evangelical vote, and Trump feels that the evangelicals are now tied in so closely to him that he can do without Pence, and he want a running mate who will help him with his weakest spot, which is the female vote.I
I don't know if anybody can help Trump in that regard..too much damage has been done...but the above does seem to be the way that Donnie's mind often works.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 04:35 PM   #2106
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Don't know how much there is to this, but there is some speculation that Trump is giving serious consideration to dropping Pence from the ticket.
Reason: Only reason Donnie picked him was to get the evangelical vote, and Trump feels that the evangelicals are now tied in so closely to him that he can do without Pence, and he want a running mate who will help him with his weakest spot, which is the female vote.I
I don't know if anybody can help Trump in that regard..too much damage has been done...but the above does seem to be the way that Donnie's mind often works.
It would sure be nice if he could drive Pence to resign. I'd feel that much better about impeachment...and I already want that worse than anything.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 04:38 PM   #2107
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I do not like Pence at all, but at least he might have a little spark of decency whereas Trump does not. At this point I am willing to roll the dice on that.
Damn, I wish I could remember the Latin for that that Pelosi used a couple of weeks ago.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 04:42 PM   #2108
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I do not like Pence at all, but at least he might have a little spark of decency whereas Trump does not. At this point I am willing to roll the dice on that.
Every chance he's had to show his supposed decency, he's gone right to bat for Trump. Even if I shared his fundamental[list] ideology, he'd remain unacceptable to me.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 04:56 PM   #2109
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Damn, I wish I could remember the Latin for that that Pelosi used a couple of weeks ago.
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Every chance he's had to show his supposed decency, he's gone right to bat for Trump. Even if I shared his fundamental[list] ideology, he'd remain unacceptable to me.
Today's "Christian" fundamentalism is based entirely on hate. I'd be quite happy to see Pence removed before Trump, like Agnew before Nixon.
Old 18th October 2019, 06:08 PM   #2110
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

From looking at his record, there is no reason to assume Pence would be more competent than Trump as President - he just can get bullied into not doing very much.
The ideal VP for Trump is someone who will give him, personally, lots of money.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 08:14 PM   #2111
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

At least it's an ethos!

The Latin you're looking for is Alea iacta est.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 11:44 PM   #2112
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

Lately, resigning means you're planning to testify.
Old 19th October 2019, 01:44 PM   #2113
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

A lot of that big check will probably go for legal expenses. he is going to probably need the kind of Lawyer who can ask to be billed 500 bucks an hour and get it.

I hear that Giuliani works cheap.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 01:46 PM   #2114
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Sarah Palin is probably available

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 03:16 PM   #2115
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm kind of confused. I thought I heard a couple of weeks ago that Rick Perry was leaving?
Old 19th October 2019, 03:25 PM   #2116
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm kind of confused. I thought I heard a couple of weeks ago that Rick Perry was leaving?
Perry announced he was leaving yesterday. Trump tweeted a thank you for your service today.
Old 19th October 2019, 03:25 PM   #2117
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but those were just (accurate) leaks. It took a bit to put together the goodbye video.
Old 20th October 2019, 03:35 PM   #2118
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

So who's going to fire Mulvaney? Pence?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 05:06 PM   #2119
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

What he does flies in the face of what any good business/government management school teaches. The techniques of running a large organization are pretty much the same.
No, they're not, actually. But they share one thing in common: The CEO and "the board" need to know what the business is in the business of doing. Why does the organisation even exist. And hopefully, how does this organisation do what it does better.

In short (in management school speak): Mission statement, and business practices.

In a private business, Donny's "mission statement" was pretty clearly "Make me as rich as possible the easiest way possible by any means possible while hanging about looking cool with good-looking women in flashy cars with gold stuff everywhere". And his business practices were "Screw everyone else, I'm all right and **** you if you get in trouble". And to be frank, if that's what he wanted then fine. Let him knock himself out trying that...with his own private business.

But that's nothing what government is about. And that's not how government works. But I'm sure I don't have to explain that at all.

Donny's problem is he has brought his private business practices into government administration. And within 3 years, here we are...
Old 20th October 2019, 06:18 PM   #2120
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

"...aides and allies started to contemplate the length of Mulvaney’s tenure in the West Wing."

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...e-house-052708

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics