IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th November 2019, 09:21 AM   #2201
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That we know of.
Old 26th November 2019, 09:45 AM   #2202
plague311
Great minds think...

I read today that Tucker Carlson was saying on his show that he's rooting for Russia over the Ukraine. So maybe he'll be next in line for a chance to please Trump.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 09:48 AM   #2203
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I read today that Tucker Carlson was saying on his show that he's rooting for Russia over the Ukraine.
...bu... but... but, why?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 10:24 AM   #2204
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
*insert gif with the little blonde girl shrugging her shoulders*

I honestly have no idea. I guess towards the end of his show he said it was for the lulz but he has to know that even that is sketchy as hell. It *shouldn't* be well received, and for what it's worth I think I saw it on Newsweek. So at least a right leaning publication is talking about it.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:03 AM   #2205
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Russia backed up his guy, obvs.

Last edited by d4m10n; 2nd December 2019 at 10:06 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:26 PM   #2206
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Sometimes you have to lift the level of trolling to get out of the monotony of everyday trolling.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:30 PM   #2207
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/polit...nia/index.html

Oh but this is delicious. Melania and Ivanka are at odds. Will one have to go? Will Trump have to choose between the daughter for whom he has a sexual appetite or the wife who denies his advances?
Old 4th December 2019, 03:02 PM   #2208
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, the hit film Knives Out has some pretty nasty satiric stabs (no pun intended) at Trump supporters.
And the major Trump supporter in the film is played by the actor who was the psych Prohibition agent in "Boardwalk Empire" and was Zod in "Man Of Steel".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 10:31 PM   #2209
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/polit...nia/index.html

Oh but this is delicious. Melania and Ivanka are at odds. Will one have to go? Will Trump have to choose between the daughter for whom he has a sexual appetite or the wife who denies his advances for whom he does not?
Hmmm?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 06:43 PM   #2210
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Duncan Hunter, one of the first GOP congressmen to support Trump, will be gone frm the House by Christmas after his convicntion on corruption charges.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 11:20 AM   #2211
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

SecDef CoS stepping down

https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/stat...35970742214657
Old 6th January 2020, 11:40 AM   #2212
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He's setting up a "Presidential Cabinet of Theseus" defense for his impeachment.
Old 7th January 2020, 09:21 AM   #2213
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He's setting up a "Presidential Cabinet of Theseus" defense for his impeachment.
The numerous and sundry links from resignations to impeachment seem ineluctable these days.

https://www.newsweek.com/five-key-uk...chment-1471109

Quote:
Tim Morrison—the National Security Council's Russia and Europe director—stepped down from his role days before testifying to House investigators.
Quote:
Earl Matthews, another senior National Security Council official who was present at several meetings now being investigated by House Democrats, has also left his position.
We've already discussed Rick Perry, John Bolton, and Gordon Sondland upthread and elsewhere. All five of these guys were featured in the Ukraine / VPOTUS meetings prior to the whistleblower doing his whistle-blowing thing.

ETA: Photo from the meeting, via Maddow
capture.jpg

Matthews and Morrison are sitting behind Perry and Bolton (respectively) and Sondland is hard to miss.

Last edited by d4m10n; 7th January 2020 at 09:31 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 12:00 PM   #2214
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think Duncan Hunter, one of the first GOP congressmen to support Trump, will be gone frm the House by Christmas after his convicntion on corruption charges.
"Shortly after the Holidays, I will resign from Congress. It has been an honor to serve the people of California's 50th District, and I greatly appreciate the trust they have put in me over these last 11 years," he said in a statement.https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...plan-to-resign

He didn't say specifically which Holidays.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 04:36 PM   #2215
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
He didn't say specifically which Holidays.
Today is Christmas in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, so probably after that.
Old 21st January 2020, 05:15 AM   #2216
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is this another one going?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9290911.html
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2020, 08:58 AM   #2217
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"People are saying" he spent a night with Russian hookers and lost his government phone in the process.
Old 21st January 2020, 06:24 PM   #2218
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"People are saying" he spent a night with Russian hookers and lost his government phone in the process.
He spent the night with Trump and Giuliani?
Old 21st January 2020, 06:26 PM   #2219
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Putin must be scratching his head. Just how easy does it get?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2020, 04:21 AM   #2220
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Article analysing every departure in the first three years of Trump's presidency
Old 30th January 2020, 08:12 AM   #2221
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Impressive article. However, it doesn't answer the question of how the Trump administration turnovers compare to past presidents which would put the analysis into context.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2020, 08:32 AM   #2222
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I asked this in another thread.

Outside of Pence has he achieved full turnover yet? He's got to be getting close if not.
Old 30th January 2020, 08:33 AM   #2223
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Impressive article. However, it doesn't answer the question of how the Trump administration turnovers compare to past presidents which would put the analysis into context.
"Trump has more turnover in his Cabinet in the first two and a half years of his presidency than any of his five immediate predecessors did in their entire first terms."

https://time.com/5625699/trump-cabinet-acosta/
Old 30th January 2020, 10:23 AM   #2224
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I asked this in another thread.

Outside of Pence has he achieved full turnover yet? He's got to be getting close if not.
A surprising (to me) number of his cabinet are still originals: Mnuchin, Perdue, Ross, Carson, Chao, and DeVos.
Linky
Old 7th February 2020, 01:20 PM   #2225
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some Rumors that Mick Mulvaney is on his way out...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/polit...ump/index.html
Trump effectively lost confidence in his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, months ago, but was convinced not to act by close aides, who argued a leadership change in the White House during impeachment could cause unnecessary chaos....According to several sources familiar with the matter, the President -- who has never graduated Mulvaney from his "acting" role -- often ignores Mulvaney's input...It's not clear when or if Mulvaney will depart his post, and sources were split on whether his exit was now imminent or he would remain in place through November's election. But discussions about his future have ramped up among staffers as the post-impeachment chapter of the Trump era begins.

You might almost feel some sympathy for the guy... taking on a role that should be a highlight of his career, then finding your contributions minimized before getting dumped altogether.

Then you realize... this is a supporter of Trump, a man who has done his best to enable the worst of Trump's excesses. So, screw him. I hope he gets kicked out and spends the rest of his career bitter and unhappy.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 01:32 PM   #2226
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump must be beating away qualified candidates with a stick - everyone wants the job where you have to tell him what he can and can't do.
Old 7th February 2020, 01:44 PM   #2227
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Some Rumors that Mick Mulvaney is on his way out...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/polit...ump/index.html
Trump effectively lost confidence in his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, months ago, but was convinced not to act by close aides, who argued a leadership change in the White House during impeachment could cause unnecessary chaos....According to several sources familiar with the matter, the President -- who has never graduated Mulvaney from his "acting" role -- often ignores Mulvaney's input...It's not clear when or if Mulvaney will depart his post, and sources were split on whether his exit was now imminent or he would remain in place through November's election. But discussions about his future have ramped up among staffers as the post-impeachment chapter of the Trump era begins.

You might almost feel some sympathy for the guy... taking on a role that should be a highlight of his career, then finding your contributions minimized before getting dumped altogether.

Then you realize... this is a supporter of Trump, a man who has done his best to enable the worst of Trump's excesses. So, screw him. I hope he gets kicked out and spends the rest of his career bitter and unhappy.
Mulvaney is also Director of the Office of Management and Budget. Would he be out in both roles?
Old 7th February 2020, 04:08 PM   #2228
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Alexander Vindman, and his twin brother Yevgeny fired and escorted from the White House. That was inevitable after Trump's acquittal; it must have been tough for the his staff to convince him to wait so long. And Ambassador Yovanovitch has retired.
Old 7th February 2020, 05:17 PM   #2229
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Alexander Vindman, and his twin brother Yevgeny fired and escorted from the White House. That was inevitable after Trump's acquittal; it must have been tough for the his staff to convince him to wait so long. And Ambassador Yovanovitch has retired.
In related news, TIL that you can be revolted w/o being at all surprised.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:32 AM   #2230
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has withdrawn the nomination of Jessie Liu to a Treasury department post because of her work as a US Attorney overseeing the prosecution of Roger Stone. She's resigned from Treasury.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:47 AM   #2231
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
Hope Hicks is out! Will we miss her?

And two years later she's back.

Quote:
After two years, Hope Hicks, former White House communications director, is expected to return to the White House, this time as an adviser. CNN reported that her official title will be counselor to the President and that she will be "working closely" with President Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner and White House political director Brian Jack.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:04 AM   #2232
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
And two years later she's back.
After two years, Hope Hicks, former White House communications director, is expected to return to the White House, this time as an adviser.
Have to admit, that seems a bit... strange of her to do so.

She's going back to a president who has been impeached (and for which even many republicans admitted "he did something wrong")...a president who is in the middle of a post-impeachment revenge tantrum... a president that has shown himself to be incapable of listening to advice from others... a president that commonly throws people under the bus when they are not of use to him... a president that usually is more unpopular than popular and is at significant risk of losing the next election.

A logical-thinking person would want to avoid that situation, since it has the really big chance of blowing up in her face and adding a stain to her resume. But there she is, throwing herself back into the fray.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:37 PM   #2233
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Have to admit, that seems a bit... strange of her to do so.

She's going back to a president who has been impeached (and for which even many republicans admitted "he did something wrong")...a president who is in the middle of a post-impeachment revenge tantrum... a president that has shown himself to be incapable of listening to advice from others... a president that commonly throws people under the bus when they are not of use to him... a president that usually is more unpopular than popular and is at significant risk of losing the next election.

A logical-thinking person would want to avoid that situation, since it has the really big chance of blowing up in her face and adding a stain to her resume. But there she is, throwing herself back into the fray.
If your career goal is to be a celebrity then your resume is improved by being famous or infamous.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 06:57 AM   #2234
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

She's a woman in Trump's orbit. By definition, she's not that bright.
Old 15th February 2020, 07:02 AM   #2235
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Mulvaney is also Director of the Office of Management and Budget. Would he be out in both roles?
Anyone with a sense of personal dignity would leave after being humiliated in the CoS role. Mulvaney doesn't have any personal sense of dignity so the disgusting little lickspittle might stay on just so he can keep kissing the Trumpenfueher's boots.
Old 19th February 2020, 03:23 PM   #2236
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Another foreign policy guy (who warned Trump about delaying aid to Ukraine) is gone...

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/19/polit...art/index.html
John Rood, Under Secretary of Defense for Policy at the Pentagon, is the latest senior national security official involved in the Ukraine controversy to be forced out...Officials tell CNN that Rood has differed with the administration on a number of issues including Afghanistan and Ukraine....
One official said some examples of Rood's differing views from some of Trump's key policy stances included being skeptical about peace talks with the Taliban as well as the administration decision to scale down military exercises with South Korea during talks with North Korea and him pushing for a more aggressive approach to Russia by supporting Ukraine.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 20th February 2020, 01:01 PM   #2237
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Speculation that Trump has soured a little on Barr....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th February 2020, 01:22 PM   #2238
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's pure theater. Trump loves his new fixer.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2020, 01:33 PM   #2239
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Quote:
It's pure theater. Trump loves his new fixer.
Yeah, I suspect that any sort of "disagreement" between the 2 of them is just theatrics, in order for Barr to pretend like he is independent.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 20th February 2020, 02:09 PM   #2240
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I suspect that any sort of "disagreement" between the 2 of them is just theatrics, in order for Barr to pretend like he is independent.
I suspect Barr is actually annoyed that the Tweeter-In-Chief keeps saying the quiet part out loud.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics