IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 25th August 2017, 05:55 PM   #201
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Has anyone explained what, exactly, Gorka did in the White House beside TV hits? Was his role just to say stupid things that stroke President Goldfish's ego?
Pretty much what you said.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:17 PM   #202
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Has anyone explained what, exactly, Gorka did in the White House beside TV hits? Was his role just to say stupid things that stroke President Goldfish's ego?
Hard to say. He was supposed to be a counter terrorism advisor but it doesn't seem like he got invited to those meetings after McMaster came in. I suspect that he and Bannon were in their own little, private cabinet while the grown-ups met elsewhere.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:48 PM   #203
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The media has got to come up with a catchy name for the current events, like "The Summer Scourge". (OK, not so catchy).
OK, considering the events of this Friday evening, how about "Hairmageddon"?
Old 25th August 2017, 08:11 PM   #204
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gorka might proved some comic relief in an otherwise somber evening.White House is saying that Gorka did NOT resign, but was involuntarily removed but Gorka is insisting that he resigned. Classic "You Can't Fire Me, I Quit!". And for the first time, I actually believe the White House......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 08:39 PM   #205
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The media has got to come up with a catchy name for the current events, like "The Summer Scourge". (OK, not so catchy).
"Game of Throwns."
Old 26th August 2017, 03:44 AM   #206
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm going back to Kushner. He's the only person present at the meeting where collusion with the Russians began still in the administration. That will make it too hot for Jared once we refocus on Russia.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 09:57 AM   #207
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm going back to Kushner. He's the only person present at the meeting where collusion with the Russians began still in the administration. That will make it too hot for Jared once we refocus on Russia.
Except he's family. Unless Ivanka dumps him he's safe.

How about Sarah Huckabee? Not much speculation about her, compared to her predecessor.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:02 AM   #208
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Except he's family. Unless Ivanka dumps him he's safe.

How about Sarah Huckabee? Not much speculation about her, compared to her predecessor.

She keeps her head down. Doesn't contradict the Donald, and isn't too flamboyant.

She'll leave when she gets tired of the public ridicule, but doesn't seem to be showing any signs of that yet.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 11:42 AM   #209
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Does Kushner even hold an official White House permanent postion?

I actually put Cohn high on the list of people who might just quite because they have had enough of Donald Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th August 2017, 12:02 PM   #210
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
DAMN IT ALL
Can you please make a prediction that Trump will be next, and then change it?

Million dollar challenge and all that.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 26th August 2017 at 12:11 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 02:58 PM   #211
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

I actually put Cohn high on the list of people who might just quite because they have had enough of Donald Trump.
My recollection is that Kushner does but Ivanka actually doesn't, because of nepotism laws passed after JFK appointed his brother AG. Not sure about that however.
Old 26th August 2017, 03:44 PM   #212
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

My recollection is that Kushner does but Ivanka actually doesn't, because of nepotism laws passed after JFK appointed his brother AG. Not sure about that however.

Jarrod's title is Senior Advisor to the President. He is appointed by Trump, and takes no salary (so far).

Ivanka's title is Advisor to the President. She is appointed by Trump and takes no salary (so far).

Aside from the implication of rank suggested by the use of "Senior" in their titles there is no functional administrative difference between the two. A 1978 statute has been seen by some (Kushner's lawyers among them, not surprisingly) as clearly superseding the 1967 law provoked by Bobby Kennedy's appointment, but even that may not have had any relevance.

Here's some discussion of the question.
Quote:
Ironically, Bill Clinton's appointment of Hillary to spearhead healthcare reform in his administration might prove beneficial to Kushner's case. Two federal judges ruled in favor of Clinton's nomination, reasoning that antinepotism laws do not include "a White House special assistant." Additionally, their ruling emphasized that the antinepotism law would only apply to paid positions.

Kushner's lawyer, former Bill Clinton Attorney General Jamie Gorelick, has stressed that he would not be breaking the antinepotism law, according to The Washington Post. Gorelick cited another federal law, passed in 1978, that gave the president permission to hire staffers "without regard" to personnel laws.
The WaPo article they cite is worth a peek, too.

So, no technical difference between Kushner's job and Ivanka's, really. Which one Trump actually thinks of as the "senior" of the two is anybody's guess. In a toe-to-toe disagreement between them I'd put my money on Trump listening to Ivanka first ... if he was to listen to either of them, that is.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2017, 03:50 PM   #213
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Putting my chips on teh Donald.
Old 26th August 2017, 05:25 PM   #214
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to decide who's left because the turnover is so fast I've lost track of who is actually left.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 12:05 AM   #215
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It has to be worth a try

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 12:55 PM   #216
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Apparetnly the nepotism law does not apply to unpaid positions.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th August 2017, 01:48 PM   #217
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Apparetnly the nepotism law does not apply to unpaid positions.
Yeah, that's more or less what I was trying to say. Kushner is paid staff; Ivanka isn't and can't be.

It's actually a bit worrisome to me that the (relatively speaking) grownups are gaining the upper hand and the loons like Bannon and Gorka are out.
Old 27th August 2017, 03:53 PM   #218
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

dup

Last edited by quadraginta; 27th August 2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 27th August 2017, 03:54 PM   #219
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yeah, that's more or less what I was trying to say. Kushner is paid staff; Ivanka isn't and can't be.

<snip>

How much is Kushner being paid as Senior Advisor to the President?

This might help;

Quote:
White House releases salary info for Trump's aides
Quote:

Donald Trump's White House is stocked with 25 staffers who hold the title of "assistant to the president," according to a disclosure released Friday, which also revealed that nearly two dozen aides all earn an annual salary of roughly $180,000.

Only three staffers — first daughter and adviser Ivanka Trump, son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner and intergovernmental and technology aide Reed Cordish — take home no pay from taxpayers, according to the disclosure.

Old 28th August 2017, 08:29 AM   #220
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He's a senior advisor though I don't think he has a formal portfolio.

Cohn might be a good choice too. He is on the outs for his loud dinner conversation complaining about his boss and his comments about The Hair's pro Nazi stance.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:31 AM   #221
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He will be pardoned if it looks like any charges are coming.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 10:18 AM   #222
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
"Game of Throwns."
Game of Clowns.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:13 PM   #223
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

A bit distant from the top staff in the White House but yet another sacrifice to lubricate the wheels of the bus. Gigicos, Trump's long time event organizer:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/721390...vent-organizer

I don't know how reliable this news source is, but according to the site the size of the crowds in Phoenix didn't match Trump's ego (despite Trump playing up the size of the crowd during the event and chastising the TV news for not showing how huge it was). So someone had to take the blame. RIP Gigicos...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:42 AM   #224
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Changing my bet to the frightful Rex T.
https://www.axios.com/scoop-trump-fr...478123564.html
Old 29th August 2017, 05:03 PM   #225
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Changing my bet to the frightful Rex T.
https://www.axios.com/scoop-trump-fr...478123564.html
I think Rex will hang on for a while but only because it will be hard to get anyone qualified who wants the job and could survive confirmation hearings.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:33 PM   #226
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I think Rex will hang on for a while but only because it will be hard to get anyone qualified who wants the job and could survive confirmation hearings.
My bold. What makes you think Tillerson was qualified? Other than by his love of Russia?
Old 29th August 2017, 05:42 PM   #227
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

My bold. What makes you think Tillerson was qualified? Other than by his love of Russia?
Nothing. Kelly will push for an establishment diplomat or former law maker who had a foreign policy portfolio to slow our decline abroad and stop the brain drain from Foggy Bottom. The person who can do that won't work for Trump.

So, Rex just stays in the dog house with Sessions to avoid a long gap in a high profile post.
Old 29th August 2017, 05:47 PM   #228
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Rex is doing a bang up job dismantling the State Department so he won't be going anywhere for a while.

It's not easy finding cabinets secretaries who want to destroy their own department. It's a short list and most of them have already been appointed.

Last edited by Spindrift; 29th August 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:47 PM   #229
NoahFence
Banned

So...
Mattis it is?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:50 PM   #230
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
So...
Mattis it is?
No, he'll stage a military coup first.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 05:57 PM   #231
NoahFence
Banned

He just told trump to pound sand on the transgender ban.

Haha
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 07:28 PM   #232
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Since when has Trump ever worried about whether or not on of his nominees is qualified for the job?

Hell, he doesn't even bother nominating anyone at all most of the time.

He don't need no steenkin' State Department.

Old 29th August 2017, 10:38 PM   #233
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Since when has Trump ever worried about whether or not on of his nominees is qualified for the job?

Hell, he doesn't even bother nominating anyone at all most of the time.

He don't need no steenkin' State Department.
There are more than three Republican senators waiting in the tall grass for Trump. He's limited by who he can past confirmation hearings. Three defections and his nominee fails and the VP casting a tie winning vote will still be a defeat.
Old 30th August 2017, 01:42 AM   #234
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
A bit distant from the top staff in the White House but yet another sacrifice to lubricate the wheels of the bus. Gigicos, Trump's long time event organizer:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/721390...vent-organizer

I don't know how reliable this news source is, but according to the site the size of the crowds in Phoenix didn't match Trump's ego (despite Trump playing up the size of the crowd during the event and chastising the TV news for not showing how huge it was). So someone had to take the blame. RIP Gigicos...
Not sure what the poor guy did to earn Trump's ire, but reportedly he was angry that the crowd wasn't big enough.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...phoenix-speech

Quote:
Trump Punishes Longtime Aide After Angry Phoenix Speech, Sources Say

Donald Trump was in a bad mood before he emerged for a confrontational speech in Arizona last week.

TV and social media coverage showed that the site of his campaign rally, the Phoenix Convention Center, was less than full. Backstage, waiting in a room with a television monitor, Trump was displeased, one person familiar with the incident said: TV optics and crowd sizes are extremely important to the president.

As his surrogates warmed up the audience, the expanse of shiny concrete eventually filled in with cheering Trump fans. But it was too late for a longtime Trump aide, George Gigicos, the former White House director of advance who had organized the event as a contractor to the Republican National Committee. Trump later had his top security aide, Keith Schiller, inform Gigicos that he’d never manage a Trump rally again, according to three people familiar with the matter.

Gigicos, one of the four longest-serving political aides to the president, declined to comment.
As for who goes next, I sort of think Tillerson will be gone. However, because his replacement would have to go through the Senate confirmation process, firing him right now isn't practical.
Old 30th August 2017, 01:45 AM   #235
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

There are more than three Republican senators waiting in the tall grass for Trump. He's limited by who he can past confirmation hearings. Three defections and his nominee fails and the VP casting a tie winning vote will still be a defeat.
That reminds me, yeah. Eventually there could be a price for going after Jeff Flake, et al.
Old 30th August 2017, 05:48 AM   #236
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
That reminds me, yeah. Eventually there could be a price for going after Jeff Flake, et al.
Assuming modern medicine can perfect the art and science of spinal transplants.
Old 30th August 2017, 07:39 AM   #237
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

I still think Kelly will go soon. I think either he'll give up and quit, or piss off Trump and get fired. I'm less sure of it now than I was, though.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 08:26 AM   #238
Belz...
Fiend God

If things keep up, the White House itself will resign and walk out of town.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 08:35 AM   #239
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
If things keep up, the White House itself will resign and walk out of town.
In a roundabout way, the renovations have kind of done just that.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 08:41 AM   #240
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever happened to KellyAnne Conway? I haven't heard her BS for what seems like several weeks.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics