IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th September 2022, 07:09 PM   #2081
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm not worried about Diehl getting elected, it's the numerous crazies in other states that scare me.

In my state, New Hampshire, there's Don Bolduc running for U.S. Senate and expected to win the Republican primary next week:

In New Hampshire, Republicans Weigh Another Hard-Right Candidate
That these crazies are winning the GOP primaries is yet more evidence of just how off the rails the right has gone. In the past, anyone spouting this kind of crazy would be an outsider, laughed at even by most Republicans. Not any more. LaLaLand has become the norm for them. Scares the crap out of me.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 02:19 PM   #2082
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
According to this, Trump's pardon of Bannon does not affect NY's ability to charge him:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-york-00055146
https://twitter.com/DonLew87/status/...xtP5xNKl-9fwiQ

Quote:
Don Lewis
@DonLew87
Normal
8%
If you like seeing Steve Bannon in handcuffs, this video is for you. (HT:
@OliviaRubinABC
)
From
Olivia Rubin
8:04 PM · Sep 8, 2022
·Twitter for iPhone

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 02:58 PM   #2083
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Love it!

And as bannon is walked past the assembled media he blathers something about, "This is what happens during the last days of a dying regime." By 'last days of a dying regime' is stevo referring to the trump regime?

Also something-something "They'll never shut me up. They'll have to kill me first." Hey, stevo this isn't a movie you're in, this is real life.

At least he appears to have cleaned himself up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taking a perp walk.jpg (52.6 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:05 PM   #2084
eerok
Quixoticist

Do idiots like Bannon think they're above the law or something? I'd like to be a big enough person to not be amused right now, but I can't help it.
Old 8th September 2022, 03:13 PM   #2085
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The truly despicable part is, despite his theatrics -- "This is what happens during the last days of a dying regime. They'll never shut me up. They'll have to kill me first." -- this is not a political case. It's about a scam bannon orchestrated.

Quote:
A six-count indictment charges Bannon with money laundering, conspiracy and scheming to defraud for his alleged role in We Build the Wall, a group that raised at least $15 million to construct a barrier along the border with Mexico but skimmed the donations. Politico dot com link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:17 PM   #2086
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The truly despicable part is, despite his theatrics -- "This is what happens during the last days of a dying regime. They'll never shut me up. They'll have to kill me first." -- this is not a political case. It's about a scam bannon orchestrated.
I fully expect Bannon to shout "Top Of The World, Ma!" any minute.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:18 PM   #2087
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I bet Trump is really pissed off about being forced off the front pages by the Death of Queen Elizabeth.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:35 PM   #2088
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Oh it gets better*...

https://twitter.com/kayemcelle/statu...12045962313728

*"Better" as in a 100 times worse.
"Semi-Fascist"? "SEMI"?????
But look at the carefully selected audience in the background. Who aren't cheering. Maybe can't believe what they're hearing.
Old 8th September 2022, 03:39 PM   #2089
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I bet Trump is really pissed off about being forced off the front pages by the Death of Queen Elizabeth.
You can bet any statement he might issue about it will mostly be about him.

ETA: Nope, I was wrong.

Originally Posted by Trump
“Melania and I are deeply saddened to learn of the loss of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II,” Trump wrote. “Together with our family and fellow Americans, we send our sincere condolences to the Royal Family and the people of the United Kingdom during this time of great sorrow and grief. Queen Elizabeth’s historic and remarkable reign left a tremendous legacy of peace and prosperity for Great Britain.

"She will always be remembered for her faithfulness to her country and her unwavering devotion to her fellow countrymen and women,” he added. “Melania and I will always cherish our time together with the Queen, and never forget Her Majesty’s generous friendship, great wisdom, and wonderful sense of humor. What a grand and beautiful lady she was — there was nobody like her

Last edited by Resume; 8th September 2022 at 03:44 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:45 PM   #2090
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

"wrote"

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 03:46 PM   #2091
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Resume View Post

Oh he still found a way to make it about him...

Quote:
Trump famously said the monarch had more fun with him during the trip than she’d had in 25 years.

Last edited by Mike!; 8th September 2022 at 03:49 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 04:03 PM   #2092
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No way did he write that. It was obviously written by a flunkie for him. This would be something he'd write:

"I'm saddened to hear that Queen Elizabeth has died. She was great. I knew her for a long time...years... and she was great. Fantastic. Wonderful woman. She said to me, "Donald, you're the best US president I've met and I've met a lot of them. You're smarter than any of the others, especially that Obama guy. What a clown." I said, "Thank you, Liz...she insisted I call her that...I feel the same." She was a queen the likes the world has never seen before. We actually dated before I met Ivanka. Nobody knows that. Nobody knows that. But it's true."

Last edited by Stacyhs; 8th September 2022 at 04:05 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 04:20 PM   #2093
slyjoe
Illuminator

No way did he write that. It was obviously written by a flunkie for him. This would be something he'd write:

"I'm saddened to hear that Queen Elizabeth has died. She was great. I knew her for a long time...years... and she was great. Fantastic. Wonderful woman. She said to me, "Donald, you're the best US president I've met and I've met a lot of them. You're smarter than any of the others, especially that Obama guy. What a clown." I said, "Thank you, Liz...she insisted I call her that...I feel the same." She was a queen the likes the world has never seen before. We actually dated before I met Ivanka. Nobody knows that. Nobody knows that. But it's true."
You're getting a little too good at writing Trumpeze.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 05:03 PM   #2094
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Love it!

And as bannon is walked past the assembled media he blathers something about, "This is what happens during the last days of a dying regime." By 'last days of a dying regime' is stevo referring to the trump regime?

Also something-something "They'll never shut me up. They'll have to kill me first." Hey, stevo this isn't a movie you're in, this is real life.

At least he appears to have cleaned himself up.
It appears he wants to be a martyr. I would be fine if someone obliged him.

The video would be better with the Star Wars Empire March playing.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 05:54 AM   #2095
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Peter Navarro fails at obvious introspection, in his own book.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...arro-book-says
Quote:
Trump backed failed campaign coup against Kushner, Navarro book says

...Navarro risks Trump’s ire by criticizing his actions as president, at one point devoting six pages to outlining “why a president who is supposed to be one of the greatest assessors of talent … would make such bad personnel choices across so many White House and cabinet-level positions”.
...people like you, Peter.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 06:18 AM   #2096
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

But, really, you were more right than wrong because there is no *********-ing way that DJT wrote that.

Last edited by Ladewig; 10th September 2022 at 06:21 AM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 07:50 AM   #2097
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
"wrote"
Yeah - it is so obvious when a staffer has wrote something and not Trump.
Old 10th September 2022, 08:17 AM   #2098
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I imaging King Charles wouldn't want Trump at the Queen's funeral anyway, because the guy would probably just stand in front of her casket for photo ops.
Old 10th September 2022, 11:20 AM   #2099
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I imaging King Charles wouldn't want Trump at the Queen's funeral anyway, because the guy would probably just stand in front of her casket for photo ops.
With that trademark grin that he uses in every single photo.
Old 10th September 2022, 11:29 AM   #2100
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The best photos!
Old 10th September 2022, 12:11 PM   #2101
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
It's starting to look like a rictus, isn't it?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 12:12 PM   #2102
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

The best photos!
Perfect photos, in fact.
Old 10th September 2022, 01:39 PM   #2103
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's starting to look like a rictus, isn't it?
It's as real as his tan and blond hair.
Old 10th September 2022, 01:50 PM   #2104
Traveler Steve
Thinker

Perfect except I think the word 'saddened' would be too much for him. "I hear that the Queen died." seems more true. He wouldn't remember her name unless prompted.
Traveler Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2022, 03:21 PM   #2105
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I wouldn't even put a "thumbs up" past him in that situation.
Old 10th September 2022, 04:04 PM   #2106
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation

I imaging King Charles wouldn't want Trump at the Queen's funeral anyway, because the guy would probably just shove other mourners out of the way to stand in front of her casket for photo ops.
He has form on this.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 11:45 AM   #2107
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

The bit about Ivanka just seals the deal.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 11:52 AM   #2108
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
The bit about Ivanka just seals the deal.
I actually meant to write "Ivana", but either works for Trump.
Old 11th September 2022, 12:53 PM   #2109
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump wanted Justice to prosecute John Kerry.
Quote:
Back in May 2018, the Boston Globe reported that Kerry, who left public office at the end of the Obama administration, had recently engaged in “some unusual shadow diplomacy with a top-ranking Iranian official” — specifically, he’d met Iran’s foreign minister to discuss Obama’s Iran nuclear deal, which Trump was about to withdraw from.

Trump was furious about this report, tweeting on May 7 that this was “possibly illegal” for Kerry to do. Two days later, Berman claims that Justice Department officials assigned an investigation of Kerry to his US Attorney’s office, per the Times.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...j-prosecutions
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 01:07 PM   #2110
carrps
Critical Thinker

Um, Ivana, but maybe you were going deep into the recesses of his subconcious.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 01:37 PM   #2111
arayder
Illuminator

A thought question. . .

Ok, here's the thing. . .

There is this political movement going. . .MAGA. . .and we might all argue about its value.

But my question is why are folks all on board with Trump representing the core beliefs of MAGA when every month or so he does something that diverts attention away from the progress of the movement?

Last edited by arayder; 11th September 2022 at 01:38 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 01:41 PM   #2112
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Ok, here's the thing. . .

There is this political movement going. . .MAGA. . .and we might all argue about its value.

But my question is why are folks all on board with Trump regarding the core beliefs of MAGA when every month or so he does something that diverts attention away from the progress of the movement?
I'd ask two questions in return that may answer your question. 1) What's actually driving MAGA? 2) What actually are the "core beliefs?"
Old 11th September 2022, 01:52 PM   #2113
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Um, Ivana, but maybe you were going deep into the recesses of his subconcious.
Correct. See two post above: #2108.
Old 11th September 2022, 01:53 PM   #2114
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I'd ask two questions in return that may answer your question. 1) What's actually driving MAGA? 2) What actually are the "core beliefs?"
It seems me the movement is driven by the guy down at the end of the bar whose had couple too many. One day the issue is the Muslim ban. . .then the wall. . .then taking down Bobby Lee's statute. . .then. . .

So your questions suggest that if the MACA movement ever got focused it would have to call to task its leader who distracts from the objectives by grabbing ****, acting a fool and selling out his country.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 01:53 PM   #2115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump wanted Justice to prosecute John Kerry.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...j-prosecutions
Since no charges were brought, the DoJ must have concluded there was nothing illegal in what Kerry allegedly did.
Old 11th September 2022, 02:24 PM   #2116
Aridas

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
It seems me the movement is driven by the guy down at the end of the bar whose had couple too many. One day the issue is the Muslim ban. . .then the wall. . .then taking down Bobby Lee's statute. . .then. . .

So your questions suggest that if the MACA movement ever got focused it would have to call to task its leader who distracts from the objectives by grabbing ****, acting a fool and selling out his country.
My questions actually don't poke in that direction, incidentally, though your point isn't completely off track. You're poking at a symptom in the first part, after all. Perhaps the first thing that needs to be acknowledged is that MAGA is decisively NOT actually policy-based or driven. It's not an accident that the Republican platform that they tried to get Trump elected on for a second term just threw policy completely out the window. They had no platform beyond "All hail Dear Leader." They nearly won anyways.

That bring us back to those two questions, then. 1) What's actually driving MAGA? 2) What actually are the "core beliefs?"

Policy (in the more usual sense) is not actually the answer to either.

Last edited by Aridas; 11th September 2022 at 02:27 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 02:47 PM   #2117
eerok
Quixoticist

That bring us back to those two questions, then. 1) What's actually driving MAGA? 2) What actually are the "core beliefs?"
I think the answer to both questions is "unfounded fear and outrage".
Old 11th September 2022, 04:39 PM   #2118
Aridas

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I think the answer to both questions is "unfounded fear and outrage".
I'd grant that that's much closer. Still, "unfounded" misrepresents things a bit. There are at least grains of very real truth at the foundation of most of the fear and outrage. Without such, it would generally be very hard to latch onto, even taking absurd spin into account.

To put it a slightly different way... everyone has grievances. Everyone faces problems that matter to them. All the joking/not joking about 1st world problems sorta masks this. Emotions are somewhat hardwired into us to work on different logic than more rational or "moral" logic. The GOP, especially, has been working to amplify and exploit this emotional logic for a long time as they pretend to be "on your side," which somewhat naturally leads to ignoring actual principles or critical thinking in favor of an emotional fix (it's easy to forget that critical thinking is not at all equatable with common sense, though both do require actually thinking things through). This, in turn, also has the effect of nurturing the desire for a "strong leader" who is on one's side and can fix everything wrong (just like many religions tap into). One of the more defining "core beliefs" of MAGA is that Trump is believed to be "a strong leader who is on their side." Thus, opposing Trump is converted to opposing their "side." Holding Trump accountable? Prosecuting Trump for his manifest, brazen crimes? Not a matter of upholding law, order, and fairness, but rather of trying to attack them more personally. It's emotional logic, not rational, but that doesn't make it less persuasive for those who have either been prevented from learning to think critically from the start or have had the desire to think about it more critically eroded sufficiently.

This also plays into why so much of the "policy" pushed in relation to MAGA is just so objectively horrendous when it comes to outcomes - it's actual defense is that it provides an emotional fix.

Last edited by Aridas; 11th September 2022 at 04:53 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 04:57 PM   #2119
eerok
Quixoticist

I'd grant that that's much closer. Still, "unfounded" misrepresents things a bit. There are at least grains of very real truth at the foundation of most of the fear and outrage. Without such, it would generally be very hard to latch onto, even taking absurd spin into account.
I was trying to be too concise, and I admit I missed the mark. I also considered "manufactured", "manipulated", and "false".

To put it a slightly different way... everyone has grievances. Everyone faces problems that matter to them. All the joking/not joking about 1st world problems sorta masks this. Emotions are somewhat hardwired into us to work on different logic than more rational or "moral" logic. The GOP, especially, has been working to amplify and exploit this emotional logic for a long time as they pretend to be "on your side," which somewhat naturally leads to ignoring actual principles or critical thinking in favor of an emotional fix (it's easy to forget that critical thinking is not at all equatable with common sense, though both do require actually thinking things through). This, in turn, also has the effect of nurturing the desire for a "strong leader" who is on one's side and can fix everything wrong (just like many religions tap into). One of the more defining "core beliefs" of MAGA is that Trump is believed to be "a strong leader who is on their side." Thus, opposing Trump is converted to opposing their "side." Holding Trump accountable? Prosecuting Trump for his manifest, brazen crimes? Not a matter of upholding law, order, and fairness, but rather of trying to attack them more personally. It's emotional logic, not rational, but that doesn't make it less persuasive for those who have either been prevented from learning to think critically from the start or have had the need to think about it more critically eroded sufficiently.

This also plays into why so much of the policy pushed in relation to MAGA is just so objectively horrendous when it comes to outcomes - it's actual purpose is to provide an emotional fix.
You're not as lazy as me, so you hit the nuances. Politics is emotional, but the way emotion is manipulated, and of course the motivation for doing so, separates the moral from the unconscionable. The modern GOP will do anything to seize and hold power, and that's the essence of MAGA.
Old 11th September 2022, 07:00 PM   #2120
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Trump apparently flew, unannounced, into Dulles airport outside D.C. today.

Anyone care to speculate why?
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics