IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 130 76.92%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.37%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 29 17.16%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.55%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th September 2022, 08:34 AM   #2561
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Douglas Adams put this same sentiment a little differently...

"a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes."
A bit late, but I prefer “You’re a load of useless bloody loonies”.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 08:56 AM   #2562
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
They were only put in charge of VIP Security Details for the President, VP, President Elects, and their immediate families after the assassination of President McKinley in 1901 for reason which let me tell you are really hard to figure out exactly. Best I can figure it was "They were the least busy so they might as well take on the extra duty."
I just note that it's probably because it was the primary federal law enforcement agency at the time. There was no FBI, for example. The alternative to the SS might have been to create some kind of military unit.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 09:12 AM   #2563
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

42 agents are assigned to protect Trump and his immediate family.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...002/?gnt-cfr=1

I think you might be misreading your link. It says that when Trump was President, the SS protected 42 officials and family members, and the number is down to 33 for Biden. Nothing about how many agents are assigned to Trump now. But just covering one shift 24/7 would take at least four people.
Quote:
WASHINGTON – The Secret Service is providing protective details to 33 members of President Joe Biden’s administration and family, a marked drop from the record number shadowed during the Trump administration, according to agency records.

Under Donald Trump, 42 people, including 18 family members, were assigned protection, requiring agents to shuttle among the former president's various properties and accompany the family's adult children on frequent foreign and domestic travel.

The unyielding pace regularly caused hundreds of agents to reach annual pay caps, prompting Congress to temporarily raise maximum compensation levels by more than $25,000 per year to help cover shortfalls.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/secret-pr...090243479.html

Last edited by Bob001; 11th September 2022 at 09:30 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 09:26 AM   #2564
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Yes.

Yes.

Oh and just as an FYI....

Water's wet and fire is hot.
And the pope still ***** in the woods!
Old 11th September 2022, 10:46 AM   #2565
catsmate
No longer the 1

The Secret Service is... weird.

Until like very recently on a historical perspective, like the last 20 years, the Secret Service was the primary major law enforcement agency of the... Treasury Department because it was created for the purpose of and primarily tasked with... well protecting money, not from theft but... like as a concept.

Long story short counterfeit money was RAMPANT right before and during the Civil War, with some estimates putting 1 in 3 bills in circulation as fake, to the point that it was actually like having major economic impacts. So Lincoln authorized the creation of a Federal Level department to fight it.

As time went on it became the enforcer of laws to protect not money in a literal sense but like the concept of it. Counterfeiting, money laundering, as time went on certain types of wire and credit card fraud, etc. Basically, if you were screwing around with money in an illegal way that isn't literally stealing, you were on their radar. As the 1980s and 90s came around they become major players in the budding worlds of cyber security, identity theft, and intellectual property crimes as those became major issues.

They were only put in charge of VIP Security Details for the President, VP, President Elects, and their immediate families after the assassination of President McKinley in 1901 for reason which let me tell you are really hard to figure out exactly. Best I can figure it was "They were the least busy so they might as well take on the extra duty."

And that was pretty much it until 9/11 happened and the massive shakeup of the United States intelligence and Federal Law enforcement structure that happened in its aftermath. The massive Department of Homeland Security (easily the biggest single functional hierarchical and "Chain of Command" change in the United States government in decades) was created and absorbed the United States Coast Guard, the United States Custom Service, the United States Secret Service, Immigration and Naturalization Department, FEMA, and a dozen other agencies and departments.

Funny thing is money crimes like counterfeiting and all that still fall under Secret Service Jurisdiction and still seems to take up the bulk of their actual manpower and time, despite how little you hear about any non-VIP security Secret Service talk... like ever. The Secret Service has 116 field offices in the United States, 20 overseas, and employees over 7,000 people. In 2007 they indicted Max Ray Butler, arguably the single greatest credit card fraudster in history (86 million dollars in fraudulent charges on 2 million different stolen credit card numbers) and Operation Firewall, a massive cordinated sting operation that in 2004 across 8 states and in cooperation with Interpol 6 foreign countries took down a ring of 28 identify theft/credit card fraud operators.
Don't forget the attempted theft of Lincoln's corpse by a counterfeiting gang.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 10:47 AM   #2566
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Lawfare also has a detailed critique of Judge Cannon's ruling:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/everythi...cannons-ruling
The Secretary of Homeland Security.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 10:55 AM   #2567
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I saw someone wearing a t-shirt today, which I have to admit I am really tempted by:

https://rainbowtclothingllc.com/prod...-prison-shirt/
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 10:58 AM   #2568
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I saw someone wearing a t-shirt today, which I have to admit I am really tempted by:

https://rainbowtclothingllc.com/prod...-prison-shirt/
Please repost this when he is arrested so that I can get it. For now it just seems to speculative.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 05:09 PM   #2569
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Former trump administration White House lawyer Ty Cobb said in a CBS News interview Friday that the former president is facing serious legal problems, may possibly wind up being barred from running again for the presidency. That the "investigation into the Mar-a-Lago papers is part of a broader inquiry into crimes relating to the Capitol riot and efforts to overturn the 2020 election."

Cobb pointed to the entire spectrum of trump's behavior. The fake electors, the dozens of lawsuits (almost all of which were rejected out-of-hand by the courts), calling people to Washington for the January 6th protest as the Senate was about to certify the electoral count, holding an emotional rally before the protesters marched on the Capitol, efforts to influence the vote counting in Georgia, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, relentlessly pushing the Big Lie.

Not just a bunch of trees but a forest.
Quote:
That was the first time in American history that a president unconstitutionally attempted to remain in power illegally,” Cobb said. Link to MSN report

I think things might be getting a little tight for the t-man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The crash and burn man.jpg (50.2 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 07:22 PM   #2570
zorro99
Graduate Poster

During an interview on MSNBC early Sunday morning, New Yorker
Executive Editor David Rohde said his sources claim the DOJ
investigators plan to put a pair of Donald Trump's lawyers before a
grand jury and give them the choice of turning on the former president
or risk perjuring themselves.

According to the editor, investigators are focusing on attorney and
former OAN host Christina Bobb and attorney Evan Corcoran, both of
whom they hope to put on the spot over their part in obstructing the
DOJ from getting back sensitive documents the former president was
keeping at his Mar-a-Lago resort. --Raw Story
Old 11th September 2022, 07:26 PM   #2571
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why on earth would prosecutors tell the New Yorker anything about who they were investigating?

Last edited by theprestige; 11th September 2022 at 07:49 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 07:31 PM   #2572
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The New Yorker has some good writers?

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 07:51 PM   #2573
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Do they have a great ass? Because these prosecutors must have their heads all the way up it.
Old 11th September 2022, 07:59 PM   #2574
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do they have a great ass? Because these prosecutors must have their heads all the way up it.
It’s a culture magazine with cool art. I have no idea if prosecutors even consider them journalists.

I do know that strategic leaks can have a predictable impact on certain people who have the restraint of a toddler. Goading trump into saying something stupid has worked so far. In that he’s said lots of stupid stuff in reaction to such stories.

Old 11th September 2022, 08:12 PM   #2575
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post

There have been a number of knowledgeable commentators who have posted/tweeted about Bobb and Corcoran being in BIG trouble, especially because Bobb signed the false declaration that all the classified documents had been returned. It would hardly be surprising if the DOJ was planning to put the squeeze on them.

Making Attorneys Get Attorneys!

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 08:37 PM   #2576
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
It’s a culture magazine with cool art. I have no idea if prosecutors even consider them journalists.
Are you maybe thinking of New York magazine? The New Yorker is a legendary literary publication with clever cartoons. They both do important journalism.
https://nymag.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(magazine)

https://www.newyorker.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Yorker

Last edited by Bob001; 11th September 2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11th September 2022, 08:48 PM   #2577
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The New Yorker has some good writers?
Rohde is a serious journalist. Pulitzer for international reporting, escaped from Taliban captivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Rohde
Old 11th September 2022, 09:03 PM   #2578
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Why on earth would prosecutors tell the New Yorker anything about who they were investigating?
I think I have spotted the source of your mistake

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post

Unlike bloggers and vloggers, real journalists and real media such as CNN, WaPo, NYT, NBC etc have actual sources. They regularly assess those sources for their reliability, and almost always second source any story before going to print/air. On occasions, when they don't second source a story, they always give a disclaimer something like "we point out that we have not independently confirmed this report"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 10:12 PM   #2579
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Who said the info would have to come from the prosecutors?

Maybe it came from one of the lawyers (perhaps them saying to a confidant "we just got visited by the FBI asking us to flip".)

Maybe it came from some low-level clerk working at the courthouse where the grand jury sits, that happened to see relevant paperwork.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2022, 11:59 PM   #2580
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige;13900068[HILITE
]Do they have a great ass?[/hilite] Because these prosecutors must have their heads all the way up it.
Probably not or Trump would have grabbed them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 04:39 AM   #2581
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Probably not or Trump would have grabbed them.
This is as predictable a move as the Insurrection Trump instigated on January 6th 2021. It is bound to happen given the Lawyers lied too the FBI.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 04:59 AM   #2582
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Trump is being reported as arriving in DC in his golf clothes, reason unknown.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 12th September 2022 at 05:02 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 05:33 AM   #2583
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Newsweek reports on trump's surprise visit to Washington DC. And it is a surprise -- unannounced on Truth Social or by any trump statement.
Quote:
The surprise visit has resulted in a range of theories being shared online. Some have suggested that Trump may be in D.C. because he is due to be arrested by the Department of Justice, or that he may be visiting the Walter Reed hospital for health reasons. Newsweek link
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 05:45 AM   #2584
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Presumably about to take back his Presidency as predicted!!!!
Old 12th September 2022, 06:21 AM   #2585
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Because he doesn't have the physique to look good in the nude, of course.
Old 12th September 2022, 06:31 AM   #2586
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Because he doesn't have the physique to look good in the nude, of course.
Did you have to say that? Where's the brain bleach!?
Old 12th September 2022, 06:33 AM   #2587
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I think he is just going to hang out and wait for Biden to take him to the Queen's funeral. Or demanding it continuously from the White House.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 06:34 AM   #2588
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't put it past him for him to be in DC for no reason at all in his golf clothes, just because the Queen and King have been dominating the news cycles for the last several days, and he's jealous.
Old 12th September 2022, 06:43 AM   #2589
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I wouldn't put it past him for him to be in DC for no reason at all in his golf clothes, just because the Queen and King have been dominating the news cycles for the last several days, and he's jealous.
A guy I know checked himself into a hospital when his wife left him for being abusive. He came off as acting like, "Oh sure, feel sorry for her, but look at poor me, I'M IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM!"... Surprisingly enough, no one cared.
Trump does seem to suffer from an overt need for attention.

Last edited by Mike!; 12th September 2022 at 06:44 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 07:16 AM   #2590
slyjoe
Illuminator

Newsweek reports on trump's surprise visit to Washington DC. And it is a surprise -- unannounced on Truth Social or by any trump statement.
If you watch the video, it appears someone puts a golf travel bag into the back of the SUV. This appears to be much ado about nothing.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 07:40 AM   #2591
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Former trump administration White House lawyer Ty Cobb said in a CBS News interview Friday that the former president is facing serious legal problems, may possibly wind up being barred from running again for the presidency. That the "investigation into the Mar-a-Lago papers is part of a broader inquiry into crimes relating to the Capitol riot and efforts to overturn the 2020 election."

Cobb pointed to the entire spectrum of trump's behavior. The fake electors, the dozens of lawsuits (almost all of which were rejected out-of-hand by the courts), calling people to Washington for the January 6th protest as the Senate was about to certify the electoral count, holding an emotional rally before the protesters marched on the Capitol, efforts to influence the vote counting in Georgia, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, relentlessly pushing the Big Lie.

Not just a bunch of trees but a forest.

I think things might be getting a little tight for the t-man.
I sure do hope that the underlined part of this account is accurate.

While that POS Trump should spend the rest of his miserable life in jail for the many crimes that he has committed for nearly all of adult life, however if that POS Trump will actually be barred from holding any elected office in the future, then that would at least be one small measure of justice.

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 10:42 AM   #2592
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

LOL - Trump now says it was all "A document storage dispute that spiraled out of control."
Old 12th September 2022, 12:12 PM   #2593
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

LOL - Trump now says it was all "A document storage dispute that spiraled out of control."
Oh gee whiz!

And to think that the lie Trump originally told was that the 'FBI planted those documents at his house'.

So at least now, Trump is no longer trying to claim that he never had the documents to begin with.

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 12:24 PM   #2594
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Why are people so mean!
Old 12th September 2022, 12:27 PM   #2595
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not only that, but his lawyers wrote in their latest court filing that "A former President has an unfettered right of access to his Presidential records even though he may not 'own' them." and "Thus, contrary to the premise behind the Government's 'criminal' investigation, the determination of whether a former President timely provided documents to the National Archives and Records Administration is a civil matter governed by the [Presidential Records Act]."

""The PRA accords any President extraordinary discretion to categorize all his or her records as either Presidential or personal records, and established case law provides for very limited judicial oversight over such categorization," the filing reads. "The PRA further contains no provision authorizing or allowing for any criminal enforcement. Rather, disputes regarding the disposition of any Presidential record are to be resolved between such President and the National Archives and Records Administration."

"Thus, at best, the Government might ultimately be able to establish certain Presidential records should be returned to NARA," the filing adds. "What is clear regarding all of the seized materials is that they belong with either President Trump ... or with NARA, but not with the Department of Justice."

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 12:31 PM   #2596
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Why are people so mean!
Leave Britonald alone!!
Old 12th September 2022, 12:51 PM   #2597
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh gee whiz!

And to think that the lie Trump originally told was that the 'FBI planted those documents at his house'.

So at least now, Trump is no longer trying to claim that he never had the documents to begin with.
He'll be back to the "it's planted" lie again soon.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 12:58 PM   #2598
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He'll be back to the "it's planted" lie again soon.
So hard to keep track of which lie he is pushing this week.

And his forum defenders seem to have all slunk away.
Old 12th September 2022, 01:18 PM   #2599
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I have to believe there comes a point where even a dog feels it's eaten enough of its own vomit and stops.
Old 12th September 2022, 03:21 PM   #2600
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I have to believe there comes a point where even a dog feels it's eaten enough of its own vomit and stops.
But not for The Donald. He gets his vomit deep fried by the bucket.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics