IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 12th September 2022, 01:59 PM   #681
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,773
Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
The UK government is apparently asking foreign dignitaries to book commercial flights and use shared buses. It also says Heathrow has no space for private jets.

But I assume Biden will arrive at Stansted on air force 1 and catch a copter to Regents Park anyway
US has half a dozen air bases in the UK, Biden could fly into one of those then use a copter to get to London.
Not sure how the head of states on commerical flights is going to work out.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 02:02 PM   #682
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,773
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What the hell were they thinking, bringing Andrew out in public like that? What did they think was going to happen?
My thoughts exactly.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 02:06 PM   #683
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,773
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Is it really? The music I associate with that film is obviously the Beethoven 9th, and I hadn't remembered the Purcell was in it. Of course, I think that when I saw the film in around 1973 or thereabouts, I wasn't familiar with the Purcell.

I wasn't involved in a concert that included the music until, I think, 1988.
Yes, It is heard over the main opening credits and repeated a couple of times in the film as a counter point to a little bit of the old ultraviolence.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 04:38 PM   #684
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 26,336
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
What did happen, is he had a little feel of his daughter's bottom;

https://twitter.com/RaggedTP/status/1569058241941749763
Wow, just wow. They should assign a minder for Andy until Lizzy is planted and he goes back to the sex offender retreat they have him living in.

I understand that the Royal Navy doesn't want him wearing their uniform. That's a stunning rebuke from the people that brought you rum, sodomy and the lash.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.

Last edited by Craig4; 12th September 2022 at 04:39 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 05:39 PM   #685
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32,549
The conspiracies are true - she's not really dead! Clearly, the old bag has just retreated to hide before she gets exposed as the baby-eating monster she really is.

Evidence!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/r...from-the-queen
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2022, 10:56 PM   #686
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 54,247
At a time when food banks are in more demand than ever, people are leaving marmalade sandwiches in memory of the Queen.

Quote:
People leaving tributes to the late Queen Elizabeth II have been asked not to leave Paddington Bear soft toys, marmalade sandwiches, and to remove the wrapping from flowers in an effort to make the tributes more sustainable.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 12:52 AM   #687
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 27,616
We become accustomed to this monarchy and take it for granted but it truly is an anachronism, isn’t it?

Note how in her later years, the queen was rarely seen with the trappings of her office like the crown, scepter and sitting on a throne. The Crown Jewels are put away in a museum. Has King Charlie been seen wearing a crown yet? I’ll wager he hasn’t, because it would look silly.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:01 AM   #688
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
US has half a dozen air bases in the UK, Biden could fly into one of those then use a copter to get to London.
Not sure how the head of states on commerical flights is going to work out.
It really isn't unusual.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:50 AM   #689
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
At a time when food banks are in more demand than ever, people are leaving marmalade sandwiches in memory of the Queen.
And as usual it's a lie spun in a half-truth. Removing the plastic makes it cheaper for the clean-up work - if they don't just want to dump them in a landfill - it does not make it any "more sustainable" if they
were purchased in plastic wrap. So in other words -what's best for them, as if the cost will be borne by them.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 01:51 AM   #690
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
We become accustomed to this monarchy and take it for granted but it truly is an anachronism, isnít it?

Note how in her later years, the queen was rarely seen with the trappings of her office like the crown, scepter and sitting on a throne. The Crown Jewels are put away in a museum. Has King Charlie been seen wearing a crown yet? Iíll wager he hasnít, because it would look silly.
In all her years, nothing to do with her age, she would wear one at the opening of parliament and a few other official occasions, crown wearing has always been a ceremonial thing.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 03:15 AM   #691
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Some more on arrests and threats of arrests by various branches of the Thought Police.

Note that this includes one, a barrister, who was threatened with arrest if he had written "Not my king" on a piece of paper in Parliament Square, so nowhere near where Brenda's body actually is, so any stretching of "funeral" has to cover about 300 miles.

Even the sodding Graun is up to this thought police nonsense (despite the hypocrisy of today's Graun view), as I had a BTL post taken out for having the temerity to say that Chucky will pay less IHT than I did (true), while the contents of Brenda's will won't be made public (also true), and how different all this is for their "subjects". Those are the mildly disrespectful terms I have used for these figures since I cannot remember when (just in case anyone doesn't know, "Brenda" is an old Private Eye-ism; they also call Charles "Brian", but I don't like that as much) and it would be rather odd to change now. Unless the Graun was objecting to an inconvenient pointing put that they are not subject to all the same laws as the rest of us, as doing so just now would be something or other...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 03:28 AM   #692
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Just think - probably be doing this all again in just 20 years - probably still be working when they push up the pension age to take into account the costs of this funeral, energy company profits and so on!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 03:31 AM   #693
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 32,549
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Some more on arrests and threats of arrests by various branches of the Thought Police.

Note that this includes one, a barrister, who was threatened with arrest if he had written "Not my king" on a piece of paper in Parliament Square, so nowhere near where Brenda's body actually is, so any stretching of "funeral" has to cover about 300 miles.

Even the sodding Graun is up to this thought police nonsense (despite the hypocrisy of today's Graun view), as I had a BTL post taken out for having the temerity to say that Chucky will pay less IHT than I did (true), while the contents of Brenda's will won't be made public (also true), and how different all this is for their "subjects". Those are the mildly disrespectful terms I have used for these figures since I cannot remember when (just in case anyone doesn't know, "Brenda" is an old Private Eye-ism; they also call Charles "Brian", but I don't like that as much) and it would be rather odd to change now. Unless the Graun was objecting to an inconvenient pointing put that they are not subject to all the same laws as the rest of us, as doing so just now would be something or other...
Jesus H Christ.

That's plain insane. If you go near Orwell's grave, your compass won't work he'll be spinning so fast.

Do we know what these people have been charged with yet? Or are they just arrested and let go to piss them off?
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 03:46 AM   #694
Mr Fied
Muse
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 651
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Just think - probably be doing this all again in just 20 years - probably still be working when they push up the pension age to take into account the costs of this funeral, energy company profits and so on!
I was hoping she had taken out over 55 life cover so that her family were not burdened with the funeral expense.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 04:18 AM   #695
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Jesus H Christ.

That's plain insane. If you go near Orwell's grave, your compass won't work he'll be spinning so fast.

Do we know what these people have been charged with yet? Or are they just arrested and let go to piss them off?
Per the linked article, and reports I heard on BBC radio, it's breach of the peace and offences under the Public Order Act. The lass in Edinburgh is set to appear at the local sheriff court; I don't know about any of the others.

The plod who threatened the barrister said someone might be offended if he wrote "Not my king" on his piece of paper, so that would breach the Public Order Act.

If we are applying that test, then I have a long list of folk who should be arrested, as they most definitely offend me: our ex-PM; our current PM; Chucky "I love homeopathy and why won't you do what I say?" Windsor; most of the rest of Chucky's family; money-grubbing, land-owning aristocrats, like the Duke of Northumberland; Ian "Lord of Grouse Shooting and Being a Lick Spittle, but didn't you know I was good at cricket once?" Botham; managers who spread lies and rumours about me in an effort to get me sacked...

Just sodding ridiculous, isn't it?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 04:28 AM   #696
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
I was hoping she had taken out over 55 life cover so that her family were not burdened with the funeral expense.
You know how tight they are with "their" money - she only took it out to get the pen and the £100 M&S gift card. Jacked it in after 6 months.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 04:29 AM   #697
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,822
Something about someone being in some sort of trouble for allegedly being seen with eggs somewhere in the vicinity of the cortŤge?
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 04:58 AM   #698
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 36,521
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Has King Charlie been seen wearing a crown yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...iality-cartoon
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 06:26 AM   #699
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
And another person charged in connection with this malarkey.

Dunno what he said about Andrew, but chances are it was just telling the truth.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 07:41 AM   #700
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,750
This is completely, totally insupportable. Had I been a UKian, I'd certainly had my blood pressure shoot up just thinking about it. Even as it is, personally having exactly zero to do with what happens in your country, just thinking about it gets me more ...furious, than might be strictly reasonable I suppose, given I have zero stake here.

These whole legions of freeloading species of "titles", in this day and age living the way they do and doing what they do with near impunity. This Andrew character, this disgusting pedo --- well okay, likely pedo, alleged pedo --- gets to parade around with complete impunity, while people who simply shout out their outrage with this disgusting creep, or simply write out their protest quietly on a piece of paper, get ******* hauled off by the police, while the ******* pedo goes on with his life, wallowing in his unearned undeserved luxury, and eminence even, same as his freeloading and "eminent" brothers and cousins and friends?!!!

How the **** do you live with this, how? How the **** do you go around with your lives, while having these worthless freeloading ******** battening off of you day in and day out? I just don't ******* get it.



eta:
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
What did happen, is he had a little feel of his daughter's bottom;

https://twitter.com/RaggedTP/status/1569058241941749763

Had missed this. Wow, ******* wow. Words fail. This is ...******* crazy, this, this whole thing, all of it.

Last edited by Chanakya; 13th September 2022 at 07:47 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 07:50 AM   #701
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,794
Mostly I don't care but, lets not forget their really name is Battenburg cause the Germans!

Moderately interesting trivia, most of the remaining royal families of Europe are minor branches of former German Nobility.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 07:50 AM   #702
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
This is completely, totally insupportable. Had I been a UKian, I'd certainly had my blood pressure shoot up just thinking about it. Even as it is, personally having exactly zero to do with what happens in your country, just thinking about it gets me more ...furious, than might be strictly reasonable I suppose, given I have zero stake here.

These whole legions of freeloading species of "titles", in this day and age living the way they do and doing what they do with near impunity. This Andrew character, this disgusting pedo --- well okay, likely pedo, alleged pedo --- gets to parade around with complete impunity, while people who simply shout out their outrage with this disgusting creep, or simply write out their protest quietly on a piece of paper, get ******* hauled off by the police, while the ******* pedo goes on with his life, wallowing in his unearned undeserved luxury same as his freeloading brothers and cousins and friends?!!!

How the **** do you live with this, how? How the **** do you go around with your lives, while having these worthless freeloading battening off of you day in and day out? I just don't ******* get it.
Sadly the royals have since Diane died been brilliant with their PR and have somehow convinced the country they are relevant.

I really do hope these folk who have been arrested do find good civil rights lawyers - none of these arrests should ever have happened. Especially looking at the bloke in Edinburgh - the police were next to him when he was assaulted by people and they only arrested him not the people assaulting him. Beyond disgusting.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 07:53 AM   #703
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 62,408
On the one hand, my sense of decorum says that a royal funerary procession is not the time or place to start this kind of ruckus, and the authorities were correct to remove (and perhaps correct to arrest) the people trying to start said ruckus.

On the other hand, my sense of decorum says Prince Scumbag should absent himself from any such public ceremonies of the royal family, having grossly stained its reputation and his own, and inviting such a ruckus wherever he appears. And if he lacks the wit to do that on his own initiative, the monarch should make it a royal decree.

(One begins to appreciate the advantages of inviting a troublesome relative to take up residence in a tower, or behind a mask, until the controversy blows over, or the rest of their life, whichever comes first or is more convenient.)

On the other/third/gripping hand, my sense of decorum says that if Prince Scumbag does appear at public ceremonies of the royal family, then it is totally appropriate for disgusted citizens to disrupt the ceremony with a public show of their disgust. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

So while my knee jerk reaction was that people shouldn't be causing a scene at a royal funerary procession, my conclusion is that causing a ruckus and disrupting the procession is the higher form of respect.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 07:59 AM   #704
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Mostly I don't care but, lets not forget their really name is Battenburg cause the Germans!

Moderately interesting trivia, most of the remaining royal families of Europe are minor branches of former German Nobility.
It's complicated - like all the literally made up stuff they claim is tradition and so on.

Victoria's male descendants belonged to the "House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha", they then because of bad PR changed it to (the completely-non-historical- precedent-but-we-are-all-about-tradition-until-we-want-to-do-something-different) "House of Windsor". Later on the last Queen decided she'd let her descendants use Mountbatten-Windsor when a surname was needed but the house would remain "Windsor". Yes they really do think these things are important....
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:05 AM   #705
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,603
I see Charles will not be paying inheritance tax.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:09 AM   #706
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
On the one hand, my sense of decorum says that a royal funerary procession is not the time or place to start this kind of ruckus, and the authorities were correct to remove (and perhaps correct to arrest) the people trying to start said ruckus.

On the other hand, my sense of decorum says Prince Scumbag should absent himself from any such public ceremonies of the royal family, having grossly stained its reputation and his own, and inviting such a ruckus wherever he appears. And if he lacks the wit to do that on his own initiative, the monarch should make it a royal decree.

(One begins to appreciate the advantages of inviting a troublesome relative to take up residence in a tower, or behind a mask, until the controversy blows over, or the rest of their life, whichever comes first or is more convenient.)

On the other/third/gripping hand, my sense of decorum says that if Prince Scumbag does appear at public ceremonies of the royal family, then it is totally appropriate for disgusted citizens to disrupt the ceremony with a public show of their disgust. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

So while my knee jerk reaction was that people shouldn't be causing a scene at a royal funerary procession, my conclusion is that causing a ruckus and disrupting the procession is the higher form of respect.

On the fourth gripping hand, or gripping tail, or whatever, this whole collection of bozos, that we non-UKians generally enjoy watching and reading about, like a reality show before reality shows were even invented: they're basically a big fat middle finger not just rudely displayed but actually thrust right up the people's backside (the UKian people's backside), except those people seem to have got so inured to it that they do not even register the not negligible pain of it (just add up all of the unearned wealth and unearned costs to the treasury totted up by these monarchs and aristrocats), and more so the sheer indignity of it. That is the main thing, the sheer indignity of living in a set-up like that, the sheer injustice of putting up with this. Not simply whether a funeral was "indecorously" disturbed, or whatever --- this only puts the whole crazy setup into focus, that's all. The main thing is the underlying situation that has been there all along, and that will continue as if it is the most natural thing in the world.

What makes it so much worse is how so many of these idiots do this willingly. That young protester getting assuaulted wasn't the police --- that is, the police let it happen, but they didn't actually do it --- it was other UK citizens. Those guys chanting "Imhotep, Imhotep God save the king" over and over again like mindless zombies, I mean ....



*Takes a step back. Silly to get my pressure up over this after all.*
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:09 AM   #707
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I see Charles will not be paying inheritance tax.
That's always been on the cards - it would be most unfair for him to pay tax on such a huge estate - he might have to sell stuff and imagine how that might effect his wealth! No much better he doesn't have to pay tax on it - it is what we all want after all.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:16 AM   #708
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing
 
Nessie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,750
It is going to be odd seeing a whole load of stuff with the King on it. I think you need to be 75 or so to remember having a King.
__________________
Audiophile/biker/sceptic
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:18 AM   #709
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,725
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It is going to be odd seeing a whole load of stuff with the King on it. I think you need to be 75 or so to remember having a King.
The expense must be hoorendous, especially since at most it will be for a couple of decades and then all change again.

I think it should be tipex until the old stationery runs out and stuck on fabric patches for the 'E's in all the ERs.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:19 AM   #710
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I see Charles will not be paying inheritance tax.
There is the usual blurring of what belongs to the Crown/nation and what belongs to the Sax-Coburg-Gotha-Mount-Windsor-Olť-Fertang-Fertang-Biscuit-Barrels or was inherited from Bowes-Lyons or somesuch as a private family, and always so that it is to the benefit of that lot.

As I pointed out elsewhere: I paid more IHT because I had to sell the house I grew up in than Chucky, the hereditary billionaire, will have to (IHT was set far lower then, so it didn't take much to get there). But we are all equal before the law...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:21 AM   #711
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
This is completely, totally insupportable. Had I been a UKian, I'd certainly had my blood pressure shoot up just thinking about it. Even as it is, personally having exactly zero to do with what happens in your country, just thinking about it gets me more ...furious, than might be strictly reasonable I suppose, given I have zero stake here.

These whole legions of freeloading species of "titles", in this day and age living the way they do and doing what they do with near impunity. This Andrew character, this disgusting pedo --- well okay, likely pedo, alleged pedo --- gets to parade around with complete impunity, while people who simply shout out their outrage with this disgusting creep, or simply write out their protest quietly on a piece of paper, get ******* hauled off by the police, while the ******* pedo goes on with his life, wallowing in his unearned undeserved luxury, and eminence even, same as his freeloading and "eminent" brothers and cousins and friends?!!!

How the **** do you live with this, how? How the **** do you go around with your lives, while having these worthless freeloading ******** battening off of you day in and day out? I just don't ******* get it.



eta:



Had missed this. Wow, ******* wow. Words fail. This is ...******* crazy, this, this whole thing, all of it.
Fortunately I'm on a whole barrel-load of meds which keep my BP under control, otherwise I might have exploded. At last a benefit of cardiomyopathy!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:22 AM   #712
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
And we can thank the Tories for Chucky not paying IHT or other taxes: it's all John Major's fault.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:23 AM   #713
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,990
I get that it's just an arbitrary case of what we're used to but yeah it being a King instead of a Queen just makes it feel way more like England is doing Game of Thrones LARPing.

It just adds another layer of absurdity to it. A King? In 2022 you have a King? An honest to God "He holds this position because he came out of someone's else's vagina in a certain order" flippin' King. Does he have a wizard that sits next to him on his big chair while he wears his big jeweled hat? Does he clap his hands and ask for the Foole to be sent in to entertain him?
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th September 2022 at 08:26 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:24 AM   #714
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
And another person charged in connection with this malarkey.

Dunno what he said about Andrew, but chances are it was just telling the truth.
Apparently, as referenced in Marina Hyde's column this afternoon, the lad shouted, "Andrew, you are a sick old man!"

Which is true...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:25 AM   #715
Rolfe
Adult human female
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 49,822
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sadly the royals have since Diane died been brilliant with their PR and have somehow convinced the country they are relevant.

I really do hope these folk who have been arrested do find good civil rights lawyers - none of these arrests should ever have happened. Especially looking at the bloke in Edinburgh - the police were next to him when he was assaulted by people and they only arrested him not the people assaulting him. Beyond disgusting.

We see this in other situations too. The people who are supporting the cause the police are aligned with, even if they're being violent and shouting vile abuse in someone's face, are protected, while the person being assaulted and shouted at, even though they are protesting peacefully (and often connected with a primary event that has permission to be there, while the abusers are the counter-protesters) are cautioned or escorted away.

The police are wholly partisan and it should be a public outrage.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:33 AM   #716
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 51,760
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I get that it's just an arbitrary case of what we're used to but yeah it being a King instead of a Queen just makes it feel way more like England is doing Game of Thrones LARPing.

It just adds another layer of absurdity to it. A King? In 2022 you have a King? An honest to God "He holds this position because he came out of someone's else's vagina in a certain order" flippin' King. Does he have a wizard that sits next to him on his big chair while he wears his big jeweled hat? Does he clap his hands and ask for the Foole to be sent in to entertain him?
Donít disagree, but the biggest GOT LARPer on recent years and probably the future is Trump.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:35 AM   #717
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I get that it's just an arbitrary case of what we're used to but yeah it being a King instead of a Queen just makes it feel way more like England is doing Game of Thrones LARPing.

It just adds another layer of absurdity to it. A King? In 2022 you have a King? An honest to God "He holds this position because he came out of someone's else's vagina in a certain order" flippin' King. Does he have a wizard that sits next to him on his big chair while he wears his big jeweled hat? Does he clap his hands and ask for the Foole to be sent in to entertain him?
Well Martin did base the GoT novels on the Wars of the Roses...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:35 AM   #718
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator
 
Filippo Lippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,087
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Apparently, as referenced in Marina Hyde's column this afternoon, the lad shouted, "Andrew, you are a sick old man!"

Which is true...
Part of me thinks, "not now," but when are right-minded folk going to get the opportunity to let the slug know what we think of him? Unless King Brian is so dim he lets Andy out of purdah. He is dim
__________________
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:40 AM   #719
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,990
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Donít disagree, but the biggest GOT LARPer on recent years and probably the future is Trump.
Listen I get that Trump is (mostly deservedly) the "Reverse Card on anything America ever does to criticize another country ever" card but at least he was elected as part of an (admittedly flawed and even more admittedly being tampered with) Democratic electoral process. He's not a magic person ordained magically by God because he came out of another magic person's vagina in a specific order in a line that goes back to (or pretends to go back to) Aegon the Conqueror or whoever.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2022, 08:42 AM   #720
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Part of me thinks, "not now," but when are right-minded folk going to get the opportunity to let the slug know what we think of him? Unless King Brian is so dim he lets Andy out of purdah. He is dim
If the royals weren't parading around doing "look at me being all grieving!", then the opportunity wouldn't arise; they have millions of acres of private (well, some of it's ours) land and houses to be in and grieve privately, but they've chosen to be in public places. They and others have made this a very, very, very public indeed set of events. How many of us did all this sort of thing out in public?

Once it's public you don't get to dictate what everyone else can say and do (well, only if you have the police,the bulk of the media and a load of grovelling politicians on your side...).
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.