IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 132 77.19%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.34%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 29 16.96%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.51%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 20th September 2022, 06:14 AM   #2761
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 47,978
Your task is simple, paint the floor. Here's some paint and a brush, feel free to start wherever you like.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."

Last edited by Mike!; 20th September 2022 at 06:16 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:43 AM   #2762
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,159
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Your task is simple, paint the floor. Here's some paint and a brush, feel free to start wherever you like.
OK. I'll start at the door and work over to that corner.

No. Wait. Ah. I see.

__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:46 AM   #2763
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,345
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I can only find this on YouTube so far but I'll guess we'll hear more.

Donald Trump’s New Lawyer for Mar-A-Lago Search EXPOSED as foreign agent of Venezuela
There was a brief mention of that in a political article...

From: Politico
Another Trump attorney...is Chris Kise. Federal records show that Kise briefly worked on behalf of an official with the Venezuelan government. Federal foreign agent registration forms show him among officials with the firm Foley & Lardner who agreed to represent Venezuela’s top prosecutor, Reinaldo Pedroza... The firm terminated its relationship with Pedroza just weeks after filing. DOJ has not publicly raised concerns about the prospect of Kise being privy to the sensitive material seized at Mar-a-Lago.

The youtube video does point out another issue.... that Kise's fees may be coming from Trump's "Save America" PAC, but that this PAC may be under criminal investigation for fraud.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 10:02 AM   #2764
marting
Illuminator
 
marting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,519
Trump's response to the 11th distr. court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-11th-circuit
__________________
Flying's easy. Walking on water, now that's cool.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:46 AM   #2765
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,159
Originally Posted by marting View Post
Trump's response to the 11th distr. court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-11th-circuit
I did read some of the 40 pages but not all. I did not see anywhere that T told anyone that he had declassified a document. If it's only in his head, how is someone supposed to know? and
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:56 AM   #2766
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,722
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
T's argument is absolutely absurd.
What is the term for “beyond absolutely?” Because that’s what will be offered in support of Trump’s position tonight on Fox.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 12:14 PM   #2767
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,676
Originally Posted by marting View Post
Trump's response to the 11th distr. court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-11th-circuit
Bwhahahahah! This filing contained the latest deranged claim from The Fat Orange Turd.
"The fact that the documents contain classification marks does not necessarily negate claims of privilege. For example, the partially unredacted search warrant affidavit states that certain documents with classification markings allegedly contain what appear to be President Trump's handwritten notes. A57-58. Those notes could certainly contain privileged information; further supporting the need for an independent third-party review of these documents"
As a former member here would say.... "Hooboy!!" So what he is claiming here is that because he wrote on those classified documents, they are now his. As Ben Meiselas at Meidias Touch Network said today - this similar to a dog thinking that when he pisses on a tree, he now owns that tree.

Firstly, if The Fat Orange Turd has admitted to writing on classified documents, then he has just admitted to another crime - defacing classified records.

Secondly, even if there is some valid claim of executive privilege (which there isn't) that privilege belongs to the current executive, NOT the former executive.

The walls are closing in on The Fat Orange Turd, and he knows it... these are the moves of a desperate man.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th September 2022 at 12:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 12:38 PM   #2768
pzkpfw
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 134
Having seen people complain "we have a president not a king" when Biden (or other Democrat) does something they don't like, it really amuses me so much that Trumps defence always comes down to some variation of "I am/was President so can/could do what I wanted".
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:06 PM   #2769
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 834
According to Anna Cabrera:
Quote:
Special Master to Trump lawyers: “If the government gives me prima facia evidence that they are classified documents, and you don’t advance any claim of declassification, I’m left with a prima facia case of classified documents, and as far as I’m concerned, that’s the end of it,”
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:23 PM   #2770
sts60
Illuminator
 
sts60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,032
Dearie is correct. As I’ve pointed out before, it really is that simple. Trump’s lawyers may spout a lot of BS in the press, but they aren’t challenging any of the classifications in court because they don’t want to go to jail for him.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:27 PM   #2771
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 47,978
"Well there's three million bucks down the toilet."
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:32 PM   #2772
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,676
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Dearie is correct. As I’ve pointed out before, it really is that simple. Trump’s lawyers may spout a lot of BS in the press, but they aren’t challenging any of the classifications in court because they don’t want to go to jail for him.
60 Shades of Election Challenge Court Cases.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:45 PM   #2773
marting
Illuminator
 
marting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,519
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I did read some of the 40 pages but not all. I did not see anywhere that T told anyone that he had declassified a document. If it's only in his head, how is someone supposed to know? and
Yep. No such claim in the filing. Trump did make the claim some time back in his "Truth" Social.

It will be interesting to see where the 11th appeals court goes with this.
__________________
Flying's easy. Walking on water, now that's cool.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:51 PM   #2774
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,666
%
Originally Posted by Trump filing
The fact that the documents contain classification marks does not necessarily negate claims of privilege. For example, the partially unredacted search warrant affidavit states that certain documents with classification markings allegedly contain what appear to be President Trump's handwritten notes. A57-58. Those notes could certainly contain privileged information; further supporting the need for an independent third-party review of these documents"
I suspect these handwritten notes don't go much beyond “this part is NOT TRUE. Putin told me it is not true. I want this report rewritten.”
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 20th September 2022 at 01:59 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:55 PM   #2775
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 51,774
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
"Well there's three million bucks down the toilet."
Maybe that was his lawyer's plan all along. "Hey, you think Trump knows how to rip people off? HOLD MY BEER!"
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:57 PM   #2776
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 13,018
Not holding my breath that this will all lead to charges. Maybe the Orange Anus has gone back to Mar-a-Lago to pack his go-bag for the flight outta the USA?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:57 PM   #2777
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 51,774
Is it considered acceptable for a judge to use words like "********," "*******" and "douchebag" in their rulings? Judge Dearie has the perfect opportunity to set new judicial standards!
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 02:01 PM   #2778
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 51,774
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not holding my breath that this will all lead to charges. Maybe the Orange Anus has gone back to Mar-a-Lago to pack his go-bag for the flight outta the USA?
***President Biden orders Air Force fighter planes to force a certain private jet to land at Gitmo.***
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 02:50 PM   #2779
marting
Illuminator
 
marting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,519
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ly/ar-AA123vrF

Quote:
The lawyers are also resisting Dearie's request for information about whether the seized records had been declassified, as Trump has maintained. In a letter to Dearie on Monday night, the lawyers said that issue could be part of Trump’s defense in the event of an indictment.

But Dearie appeared unsatisfied with that position. He said if Trump's lawyers will not actually assert that the records have been declassified and the Justice Department instead makes an acceptable case that they remain classified, then “as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of it.”
__________________
Flying's easy. Walking on water, now that's cool.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:11 PM   #2780
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,904
I suspect Trump and his team are beginning to regret proposing Dearie as the SM. He doesn't seem to be putting up with any of their crap.

Quote:
Judge Raymond Dearie repeatedly challenged Trump’s lawyers for refusing to back up the former president’s claim that he declassified the highly sensitive national security-related records discovered in his residence.

“My view of it is: you can’t have your cake and eat it,” said Dearie, the “special master” picked by U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon to vet Trump’s effort to reclaim the materials taken by federal investigators.
Quote:
James Trusty, one of Trump’s attorneys, called it “premature” for Dearie to consider that issue right now. “It’s going a little beyond what Judge Cannon contemplated in the first instance,” he said.

In one of several moments of palpable tension with the Trump team, Dearie replied: “I was taken aback by your comment that I’m going beyond what Judge Cannon instructed me to do. … I think I’m doing what I’m told.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-lago-00057805
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:34 PM   #2781
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,234
Argue with the arbiter about what his job is. That will turn out well.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 20th September 2022 at 04:35 PM.
TheGoldcountry is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:34 PM   #2782
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 13,018
Betting some of Trump's lawyers, or even Trump himself, will suddenly come down with some mystery medical condition that will take months to get over.

Or some such dodge to spin this out even further.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:46 PM   #2783
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,186
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Betting some of Trump's lawyers, or even Trump himself, will suddenly come down with some mystery medical condition that will take months to get over.

Or some such dodge to spin this out even further.
I don't think that will help. Dearie is moving fast. He's thinking to be done in a few weeks.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:47 PM   #2784
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 13,018
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think that will help. Dearie is moving fast. He's thinking to be done in a few weeks.
This mystery disease will happen tomorrow if it is needed.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:49 PM   #2785
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,904
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This mystery disease will happen tomorrow if it is needed.
Its major symptom is the skin turning orange. A Florida variant of hepatitis.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 05:21 PM   #2786
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 834
Things are not going so well for the Trump Team. They really regret requesting Judge Dearie as Special Master.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 05:42 PM   #2787
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,909
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"The fact that the documents contain classification marks does not necessarily negate claims of privilege. For example, the partially unredacted search warrant affidavit states that certain documents with classification markings allegedly contain what appear to be President Trump's handwritten notes. A57-58. Those notes could certainly contain privileged information; further supporting the need for an independent third-party review of these documents"
As a former member here would say.... "Hooboy!!" So what he is claiming here is that because he wrote on those classified documents, they are now his.
Great! Now I know that I can write in books that I check out from the library and they become mine.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:10 PM   #2788
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 13,018
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Its major symptom is the skin turning orange. A Florida variant of hepatitis.
Could be worse. Skin NOT turning orange, and being forced to wear tennis shorts in public.

__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:16 PM   #2789
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,676
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I suspect Trump and his team are beginning to regret proposing Dearie as the SM. He doesn't seem to be putting up with any of their crap.

Quote:
"James Trusty, one of Trump’s attorneys, called it “premature” for Dearie to consider that issue right now. “It’s going a little beyond what Judge Cannon contemplated in the first instance,” he said."
No James, quite the contrary in fact. It is urgent that dealing with these 100 Top Secret SCI/SAP documents needs to be expedited, and he's absolutely right to deal with them first.

Its also interesting that Judge Dearie says he can get the whole Special Master job done by October 7.... that is a wow... and I thought the so-called "rocket-docket" (USDC for the Eastern District of Virginia) was blindingly fast?

The lawyers for The Fat Orange Turd were very unhappy about this. They want to delay, procrastinate, obfuscate and stretch everything out for as long as they can - Judge Dearie is clearly not going allow their BS.

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Great! Now I know that I can write in books that I check out from the library and they become mine.
.. or you could get your dog to piss on them!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th September 2022 at 06:19 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:18 PM   #2790
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 13,018
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No James, quite the contrary in fact. It is urgent that dealing with these 100 Top Secret SCI/SAP documents needs to be expedited, and he's absolutely right to deal with them first.

Its also interesting that Judge Dearie says he can get the whole Special Master job done by October 7.... that is a wow... and I thought the so-called "rocket-docket" (USDC for the Eastern District of Virginia) was blindingly fast?

The lawyers for The Fat Orange Turd were very unhappy about this. They want to delay, procrastinate, obfuscate and stretch everything out for as long as they can - Judge Dearie is clearly not going allow their BS.
As I said...they will find some other tactic if they can't make their chosen judge hit the brakes.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:26 PM   #2791
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,676
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
As I said...they will find some other tactic if they can't make their chosen judge hit the brakes.
I don't think so. It seems clear that if they try to do things such as not file responses he'll just do what I think he's about to do here.. basically "if you you are non-responsive to my schedule, I'll rule without you." I think the DoJ will have those documents back in their possession by lunchtime Thursday.

I have mentioned the US District Court for Eastern Virginia, which is known as "The Rocket Docket". Many a lawyer has tried all sort's of tactics to try to slow that court down, but they have always failed - the judges there won't have any of it. The Judge determines the pace at which his court works - if he says "you have until next, say 'Tuesday' to file your submissions. If you fail to meet that deadline, I will rule without them" he will make that stick.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:33 PM   #2792
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 13,018
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I don't think so. It seems clear that if they try to do things such as not file responses he'll just do what I think he's about to do here.. basically "if you you are non-responsive to my schedule, I'll rule without you." I think the DoJ will have those documents back in their possession by lunchtime Thursday.

I have mentioned the US District Court for Eastern Virginia, which is known as "The Rocket Docket". Many a lawyer has tried all sort's of tactics to try to slow that court down, but they have always failed - the judges there won't have any of it. The Judge determines the pace at which his court works - if he says "you have until next, say 'Tuesday' to file your submissions. If you fail to meet that deadline, I will rule without them" he will make that stick.
That's thinking inside the court only. These people are not without wild imagination.

As I said above, they could also use the "all our lawyers got leprosy overnight and can't attend court" tactic. Or somebody had a mental breakdown and can't represent Donny and it will take time to adjust the legal team. Or the whole team suddenly can't speak English and needs translators found. Or whatever, something non-judicial that takes up time.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:14 PM   #2793
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,186
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That's thinking inside the court only. These people are not without wild imagination.

As I said above, they could also use the "all our lawyers got leprosy overnight and can't attend court" tactic. Or somebody had a mental breakdown and can't represent Donny and it will take time to adjust the legal team. Or the whole team suddenly can't speak English and needs translators found. Or whatever, something non-judicial that takes up time.
I don't think it will work. Not that they won't try. The word about Dearie is he runs a tight ship and doesn't suffer fools. Almost immediately upon finding out Trump’s team proposing their list of candidate special masters, the DOJ was agreeing to Dearie.

The failure of Trump’s lawyers to answer Dearie questions today makes it very easy for Dearie to rule for the government.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:27 PM   #2794
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,722
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I suspect Trump and his team are beginning to regret proposing Dearie as the SM. He doesn't seem to be putting up with any of their crap.
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10DB3205-B013-48D5-8152-3188C280FAD3.jpg (54.2 KB, 22 views)
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:30 PM   #2795
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,932
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
According to Anna Cabrera:
This is what I've said.

What even is the argument?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:52 PM   #2796
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 31,186
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
This is what I've said.

What even is the argument?
Dearie said the same thing. The federal government had already provided “prima facie evidence” that the materials were classified by noting that they were marked as such. “As far as I’m concerned, that’s the end of it,”

He also noted that while Trump's lawyers can decline to offer proof at this stage, Trump’s lawyers can’t, as Dearie put it, “have your cake and eat it.”
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:57 PM   #2797
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 12,664
Leave it to Andy Borowitz.

Quote:
Trump Demands Special Master Be Fired and Replaced with Extra-Special Master

Claiming that Dearie is “rigged against me,” Trump said, “After that guy is fired and goes back to Antifa
or wherever he came from, we’ve got to find out what idiot chose him in the first place. This should never
be allowed to happen in our country.” Borowitz link

Maybe trump should've stayed with 'the FBI planted the documents.'
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 08:57 PM   #2798
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,159
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Leave it to Andy Borowitz.




Maybe trump should've stayed with 'the FBI planted the documents.'
My Ghod! You and Andy are serious. I thought this was a joke.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 09:08 PM   #2799
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19,069
Actually, the Classified documents no longer belong to Trump.
They are clearly labeled: "this one goes to Saudi Arabia, This one for Qatar. These 20 to Russia, the rest to China*.
These personal notes have clearly no relevance to the case against Trump; in fact, they exonerate him, as their are Evidence that Trump had no intention of holding onto them indefinitely.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:17 PM   #2800
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,904
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
My Ghod! You and Andy are serious. I thought this was a joke.
It is a joke. Borowitz is a satirist. But it's perfectly plausible that whack-a-doodle Trump could actually say that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.