IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 132 77.19%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.34%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 29 16.96%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.51%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th September 2022, 06:14 AM   #2761
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Your task is simple, paint the floor. Here's some paint and a brush, feel free to start wherever you like.

Last edited by Mike!; 20th September 2022 at 06:16 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:43 AM   #2762
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Your task is simple, paint the floor. Here's some paint and a brush, feel free to start wherever you like.
OK. I'll start at the door and work over to that corner.

No. Wait. Ah. I see.

Old 20th September 2022, 07:46 AM   #2763
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I can only find this on YouTube so far but I'll guess we'll hear more.

Donald Trump’s New Lawyer for Mar-A-Lago Search EXPOSED as foreign agent of Venezuela
There was a brief mention of that in a political article...

Another Trump attorney...is Chris Kise. Federal records show that Kise briefly worked on behalf of an official with the Venezuelan government. Federal foreign agent registration forms show him among officials with the firm Foley & Lardner who agreed to represent Venezuela’s top prosecutor, Reinaldo Pedroza... The firm terminated its relationship with Pedroza just weeks after filing. DOJ has not publicly raised concerns about the prospect of Kise being privy to the sensitive material seized at Mar-a-Lago.

The youtube video does point out another issue.... that Kise's fees may be coming from Trump's "Save America" PAC, but that this PAC may be under criminal investigation for fraud.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 10:02 AM   #2764
marting
Illuminator

Trump's response to the 11th distr. court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...o-11th-circuit
Old 20th September 2022, 11:46 AM   #2765
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post

I did read some of the 40 pages but not all. I did not see anywhere that T told anyone that he had declassified a document. If it's only in his head, how is someone supposed to know? and
Old 20th September 2022, 11:56 AM   #2766
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
T's argument is absolutely absurd.
What is the term for “beyond absolutely?” Because that’s what will be offered in support of Trump’s position tonight on Fox.
Old 20th September 2022, 12:14 PM   #2767
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post

Bwhahahahah! This filing contained the latest deranged claim from The Fat Orange Turd.
"The fact that the documents contain classification marks does not necessarily negate claims of privilege. For example, the partially unredacted search warrant affidavit states that certain documents with classification markings allegedly contain what appear to be President Trump's handwritten notes. A57-58. Those notes could certainly contain privileged information; further supporting the need for an independent third-party review of these documents"
As a former member here would say.... "Hooboy!!" So what he is claiming here is that because he wrote on those classified documents, they are now his. As Ben Meiselas at Meidias Touch Network said today - this similar to a dog thinking that when he pisses on a tree, he now owns that tree.

Firstly, if The Fat Orange Turd has admitted to writing on classified documents, then he has just admitted to another crime - defacing classified records.

Secondly, even if there is some valid claim of executive privilege (which there isn't) that privilege belongs to the current executive, NOT the former executive.

The walls are closing in on The Fat Orange Turd, and he knows it... these are the moves of a desperate man.

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th September 2022 at 12:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 12:38 PM   #2768
pzkpfw
Thinker

Having seen people complain "we have a president not a king" when Biden (or other Democrat) does something they don't like, it really amuses me so much that Trumps defence always comes down to some variation of "I am/was President so can/could do what I wanted".
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:06 PM   #2769
ZiprHead
Muse

According to Anna Cabrera:
Quote:
Special Master to Trump lawyers: “If the government gives me prima facia evidence that they are classified documents, and you don’t advance any claim of declassification, I’m left with a prima facia case of classified documents, and as far as I’m concerned, that’s the end of it,”

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:23 PM   #2770
sts60
Illuminator

Dearie is correct. As I’ve pointed out before, it really is that simple. Trump’s lawyers may spout a lot of BS in the press, but they aren’t challenging any of the classifications in court because they don’t want to go to jail for him.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:27 PM   #2771
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
"Well there's three million bucks down the toilet."
Old 20th September 2022, 01:32 PM   #2772
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Dearie is correct. As I’ve pointed out before, it really is that simple. Trump’s lawyers may spout a lot of BS in the press, but they aren’t challenging any of the classifications in court because they don’t want to go to jail for him.
60 Shades of Election Challenge Court Cases.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:45 PM   #2773
marting
Illuminator

I did read some of the 40 pages but not all. I did not see anywhere that T told anyone that he had declassified a document. If it's only in his head, how is someone supposed to know? and
Yep. No such claim in the filing. Trump did make the claim some time back in his "Truth" Social.

It will be interesting to see where the 11th appeals court goes with this.
Old 20th September 2022, 01:51 PM   #2774
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

%
Originally Posted by Trump filing
The fact that the documents contain classification marks does not necessarily negate claims of privilege. For example, the partially unredacted search warrant affidavit states that certain documents with classification markings allegedly contain what appear to be President Trump's handwritten notes. A57-58. Those notes could certainly contain privileged information; further supporting the need for an independent third-party review of these documents"
I suspect these handwritten notes don't go much beyond “this part is NOT TRUE. Putin told me it is not true. I want this report rewritten.”

Last edited by Ladewig; 20th September 2022 at 01:59 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:55 PM   #2775
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
"Well there's three million bucks down the toilet."
Maybe that was his lawyer's plan all along. "Hey, you think Trump knows how to rip people off? HOLD MY BEER!"
Old 20th September 2022, 01:57 PM   #2776
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Not holding my breath that this will all lead to charges. Maybe the Orange Anus has gone back to Mar-a-Lago to pack his go-bag for the flight outta the USA?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:57 PM   #2777
shemp

Is it considered acceptable for a judge to use words like "********," "*******" and "douchebag" in their rulings? Judge Dearie has the perfect opportunity to set new judicial standards!
Old 20th September 2022, 02:01 PM   #2778
shemp

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not holding my breath that this will all lead to charges. Maybe the Orange Anus has gone back to Mar-a-Lago to pack his go-bag for the flight outta the USA?
***President Biden orders Air Force fighter planes to force a certain private jet to land at Gitmo.***
Old 20th September 2022, 02:50 PM   #2779
marting
Illuminator

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ly/ar-AA123vrF

Quote:
The lawyers are also resisting Dearie's request for information about whether the seized records had been declassified, as Trump has maintained. In a letter to Dearie on Monday night, the lawyers said that issue could be part of Trump’s defense in the event of an indictment.

But Dearie appeared unsatisfied with that position. He said if Trump's lawyers will not actually assert that the records have been declassified and the Justice Department instead makes an acceptable case that they remain classified, then “as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of it.”
Old 20th September 2022, 04:11 PM   #2780
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect Trump and his team are beginning to regret proposing Dearie as the SM. He doesn't seem to be putting up with any of their crap.

Quote:
Judge Raymond Dearie repeatedly challenged Trump’s lawyers for refusing to back up the former president’s claim that he declassified the highly sensitive national security-related records discovered in his residence.

“My view of it is: you can’t have your cake and eat it,” said Dearie, the “special master” picked by U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon to vet Trump’s effort to reclaim the materials taken by federal investigators.
Quote:
James Trusty, one of Trump’s attorneys, called it “premature” for Dearie to consider that issue right now. “It’s going a little beyond what Judge Cannon contemplated in the first instance,” he said.

In one of several moments of palpable tension with the Trump team, Dearie replied: “I was taken aback by your comment that I’m going beyond what Judge Cannon instructed me to do. … I think I’m doing what I’m told.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...-lago-00057805
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:34 PM   #2781
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Argue with the arbiter about what his job is. That will turn out well.

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 20th September 2022 at 04:35 PM.
TheGoldcountry is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:34 PM   #2782
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Betting some of Trump's lawyers, or even Trump himself, will suddenly come down with some mystery medical condition that will take months to get over.

Or some such dodge to spin this out even further.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:46 PM   #2783
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Betting some of Trump's lawyers, or even Trump himself, will suddenly come down with some mystery medical condition that will take months to get over.

Or some such dodge to spin this out even further.
I don't think that will help. Dearie is moving fast. He's thinking to be done in a few weeks.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:47 PM   #2784
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think that will help. Dearie is moving fast. He's thinking to be done in a few weeks.
This mystery disease will happen tomorrow if it is needed.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:49 PM   #2785
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This mystery disease will happen tomorrow if it is needed.
Its major symptom is the skin turning orange. A Florida variant of hepatitis.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 05:21 PM   #2786
ZiprHead
Muse

Things are not going so well for the Trump Team. They really regret requesting Judge Dearie as Special Master.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 05:42 PM   #2787
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"The fact that the documents contain classification marks does not necessarily negate claims of privilege. For example, the partially unredacted search warrant affidavit states that certain documents with classification markings allegedly contain what appear to be President Trump's handwritten notes. A57-58. Those notes could certainly contain privileged information; further supporting the need for an independent third-party review of these documents"
As a former member here would say.... "Hooboy!!" So what he is claiming here is that because he wrote on those classified documents, they are now his.
Great! Now I know that I can write in books that I check out from the library and they become mine.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:10 PM   #2788
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Its major symptom is the skin turning orange. A Florida variant of hepatitis.
Could be worse. Skin NOT turning orange, and being forced to wear tennis shorts in public.

Old 20th September 2022, 06:16 PM   #2789
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect Trump and his team are beginning to regret proposing Dearie as the SM. He doesn't seem to be putting up with any of their crap.

Quote:
"James Trusty, one of Trump’s attorneys, called it “premature” for Dearie to consider that issue right now. “It’s going a little beyond what Judge Cannon contemplated in the first instance,” he said."
No James, quite the contrary in fact. It is urgent that dealing with these 100 Top Secret SCI/SAP documents needs to be expedited, and he's absolutely right to deal with them first.

Its also interesting that Judge Dearie says he can get the whole Special Master job done by October 7.... that is a wow... and I thought the so-called "rocket-docket" (USDC for the Eastern District of Virginia) was blindingly fast?

The lawyers for The Fat Orange Turd were very unhappy about this. They want to delay, procrastinate, obfuscate and stretch everything out for as long as they can - Judge Dearie is clearly not going allow their BS.

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Great! Now I know that I can write in books that I check out from the library and they become mine.
.. or you could get your dog to piss on them!

Last edited by smartcooky; 20th September 2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:18 PM   #2790
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

No James, quite the contrary in fact. It is urgent that dealing with these 100 Top Secret SCI/SAP documents needs to be expedited, and he's absolutely right to deal with them first.

Its also interesting that Judge Dearie says he can get the whole Special Master job done by October 7.... that is a wow... and I thought the so-called "rocket-docket" (USDC for the Eastern District of Virginia) was blindingly fast?

The lawyers for The Fat Orange Turd were very unhappy about this. They want to delay, procrastinate, obfuscate and stretch everything out for as long as they can - Judge Dearie is clearly not going allow their BS.
As I said...they will find some other tactic if they can't make their chosen judge hit the brakes.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:26 PM   #2791
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

As I said...they will find some other tactic if they can't make their chosen judge hit the brakes.
I don't think so. It seems clear that if they try to do things such as not file responses he'll just do what I think he's about to do here.. basically "if you you are non-responsive to my schedule, I'll rule without you." I think the DoJ will have those documents back in their possession by lunchtime Thursday.

I have mentioned the US District Court for Eastern Virginia, which is known as "The Rocket Docket". Many a lawyer has tried all sort's of tactics to try to slow that court down, but they have always failed - the judges there won't have any of it. The Judge determines the pace at which his court works - if he says "you have until next, say 'Tuesday' to file your submissions. If you fail to meet that deadline, I will rule without them" he will make that stick.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:33 PM   #2792
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think so. It seems clear that if they try to do things such as not file responses he'll just do what I think he's about to do here.. basically "if you you are non-responsive to my schedule, I'll rule without you." I think the DoJ will have those documents back in their possession by lunchtime Thursday.

I have mentioned the US District Court for Eastern Virginia, which is known as "The Rocket Docket". Many a lawyer has tried all sort's of tactics to try to slow that court down, but they have always failed - the judges there won't have any of it. The Judge determines the pace at which his court works - if he says "you have until next, say 'Tuesday' to file your submissions. If you fail to meet that deadline, I will rule without them" he will make that stick.
That's thinking inside the court only. These people are not without wild imagination.

As I said above, they could also use the "all our lawyers got leprosy overnight and can't attend court" tactic. Or somebody had a mental breakdown and can't represent Donny and it will take time to adjust the legal team. Or the whole team suddenly can't speak English and needs translators found. Or whatever, something non-judicial that takes up time.
Old 20th September 2022, 07:14 PM   #2793
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's thinking inside the court only. These people are not without wild imagination.

As I said above, they could also use the "all our lawyers got leprosy overnight and can't attend court" tactic. Or somebody had a mental breakdown and can't represent Donny and it will take time to adjust the legal team. Or the whole team suddenly can't speak English and needs translators found. Or whatever, something non-judicial that takes up time.
I don't think it will work. Not that they won't try. The word about Dearie is he runs a tight ship and doesn't suffer fools. Almost immediately upon finding out Trump’s team proposing their list of candidate special masters, the DOJ was agreeing to Dearie.

The failure of Trump’s lawyers to answer Dearie questions today makes it very easy for Dearie to rule for the government.
Old 20th September 2022, 07:27 PM   #2794
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10DB3205-B013-48D5-8152-3188C280FAD3.jpg (54.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 20th September 2022, 07:30 PM   #2795
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
According to Anna Cabrera:
This is what I've said.

What even is the argument?
Old 20th September 2022, 07:52 PM   #2796
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
This is what I've said.

What even is the argument?
Dearie said the same thing. The federal government had already provided “prima facie evidence” that the materials were classified by noting that they were marked as such. “As far as I’m concerned, that’s the end of it,”

He also noted that while Trump's lawyers can decline to offer proof at this stage, Trump’s lawyers can’t, as Dearie put it, “have your cake and eat it.”
Old 20th September 2022, 07:57 PM   #2797
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Leave it to Andy Borowitz.

Quote:
Trump Demands Special Master Be Fired and Replaced with Extra-Special Master

Claiming that Dearie is “rigged against me,” Trump said, “After that guy is fired and goes back to Antifa
or wherever he came from, we’ve got to find out what idiot chose him in the first place. This should never
be allowed to happen in our country.” Borowitz link

Maybe trump should've stayed with 'the FBI planted the documents.'
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 08:57 PM   #2798
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Leave it to Andy Borowitz.

Maybe trump should've stayed with 'the FBI planted the documents.'
My Ghod! You and Andy are serious. I thought this was a joke.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:08 PM   #2799
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Actually, the Classified documents no longer belong to Trump.
They are clearly labeled: "this one goes to Saudi Arabia, This one for Qatar. These 20 to Russia, the rest to China*.
These personal notes have clearly no relevance to the case against Trump; in fact, they exonerate him, as their are Evidence that Trump had no intention of holding onto them indefinitely.
Old 20th September 2022, 11:17 PM   #2800
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My Ghod! You and Andy are serious. I thought this was a joke.
It is a joke. Borowitz is a satirist. But it's perfectly plausible that whack-a-doodle Trump could actually say that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics