IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th September 2022, 02:59 PM   #1121
Alderbank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
"Old age" is indeed allowable on a death certificate. Whether it should be may be up for discussion, but I imagine it spares the relatives of a very elderly person the trauma of having to agree to a post mortem when a death is not unexpected as a result of obvious failing health.

And then there was Shipman.
Ah yes, Gavin and Stacey. A great British sitcom.
The surnames in the show Shipman, West and Sutcliffe were not coincidence. Ruth Jones chose them because they were murderers
Old 19th September 2022, 03:15 PM   #1122
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
A doctor said that being old is not a cause of death. You still have to die of something.
This doesn't mean that an autopsy is indicated.
Old 19th September 2022, 03:30 PM   #1123
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
For all the grief America gets for not nailing equality it always strikes me how homogenous most other major world powers still are at the top.

75% of the United States is white
87% of the UK is white.

We've had more black Presidents then you've had black Monarchs or black Prime Ministers, and you had a lot more chances.
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Best that we don’t bring up the matter of female heads of state/government then…..
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Please. You're done 3, all of them in my lifetime, and one of them was Thatcher. That's still negative point territory as far as I'm concerned.

Your magical "God said I'm special because I came out of a certain person's vagina first" figurehead women don't count.
4: The Queen, Thatcher, May, Truss.
Old 19th September 2022, 03:41 PM   #1124
Alderbank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
To be fair, we haven't really 'done' Truss yet.

I agree though that the signs don't look too good.
Old 19th September 2022, 04:13 PM   #1125
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Is it too late to stand in the queue?
Old 19th September 2022, 04:16 PM   #1126
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
Never too late. Or you can start one now for when Chuck dies.
Old 19th September 2022, 04:41 PM   #1127
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Polishing my Standing Shoes as we speak.
Old 19th September 2022, 04:51 PM   #1128
Alderbank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Probably too late to start the queue for Chuck's coronation
Old 19th September 2022, 05:00 PM   #1129
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I heard her truss strangled her.
I heard she died laughing that she had finally seen the back of Bozza.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 05:16 PM   #1130
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
This doesn't mean that an autopsy is indicated.
I don't think they would need one. She had a team of doctors watching her 24x7 with the best facilities. They would have a very good idea what was most likely to have happened.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 05:16 PM   #1131
Alderbank
Critical Thinker

Probably too late to start the queue for Chuck's coronation
Old 19th September 2022, 08:46 PM   #1132
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
She was not going out as much as usual, had not appeared at many of her Jubilee events, and the outgoing and incoming PMs had gone to see her at Balmoral rather than her going to London, so it was clear she was not in the best of health.
She definitely had mobility problems, and I gather she was reluctant to use a wheelchair hence people having to go to her rather than she to them, but she seemed in remarkably good health for someone of her age otherwise. Her family did not start gathering until the day of her death, so whatever happened it looks to have been sudden. A stroke, heart attack or bad fall would be my guess. We may find out eventually, or we may not. I don't feel any great need to know myself.
Old 19th September 2022, 09:11 PM   #1133
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I don't really care myself but the rumours are sure to start.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 12:06 AM   #1134
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Er, we've had more than one Queen, you know.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 12:55 AM   #1135
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Er, we've had more than one Queen, you know.
Queen Elizabeth II wasn't the first one?

Anyway, I realize now that I misread what Joe Morgue said. Not sure why he decided to suddenly rule out monarchs when females were introduced given he was happy to wag his finger over no black monarchs.
Old 20th September 2022, 12:56 AM   #1136
angrysoba
Philosophile

I don't really care myself but the rumours are sure to start.
That she is not actually dead but returned to the Lizard Planet or something?
Old 20th September 2022, 12:58 AM   #1137
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A doctor said that being old is not a cause of death. You still have to die of something.
Heart failure.
Old 20th September 2022, 01:04 AM   #1138
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Heart failure.

Or pneumonia.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:26 AM   #1139
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Or pneumonia.
I think we can all agree that her heart stopped?
Old 20th September 2022, 01:35 AM   #1140
catsmate
No longer the 1

I've just read that all six verses of "God save the (now) King" were sung at the funeral.

So much for the story we keep being told that the offensive verse was just a bit of doggerel made up in the 18th century, as were a number of other unofficial verses, not actually part of the national anthem, stop being so sensitive, nothing to see here.

God grant that Marshall Wade
may by thy mighty aid
victory bring.
May he sedition hush
and like a torrent rush
rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King.

Well, now that it rhymes properly again, maybe they'll include it all the time. It expresses the true feelings of a fair chunk of the English establishment and their Daily Mail reading hangers-on, after all.
Just wait 'til IndyRef II - The UDI.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 01:39 AM   #1141
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Of course what eventually caught up with her was a lifetime exposure to the fumes of fresh paint, which followed her everywhere she visited.

Unless I learn convincingly to the contrary I shall presume that although fading she urged her doctors to keep her going by any means until that lying sack Boris was gone. And then delivered her "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." monologue.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:19 AM   #1142
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Glad that’s all sorted out to your satisfaction then
It seems our Royal Family annoy Joe as much as they annoy me.

He can console himself with the knowledge that he's not paying for the bastards.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:25 AM   #1143
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Lack of blood flow to the brain perhaps
Old 20th September 2022, 05:23 AM   #1144
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Just wait 'til IndyRef II - The UDI.

I should live so long.
Old 20th September 2022, 05:43 AM   #1145
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I believe roller skates would add convenience without subtracting dignity.

See what you did?

https://mobile.twitter.com/fearandlo...25283832188934

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:45 AM   #1146
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Lack of blood flow to the brain perhaps
Doesn't seem to be a problem in their family....
Old 20th September 2022, 09:36 AM   #1147
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Here's something Scottish to cheer up our Scottish contingent:

Quote:
The service ended with the Queen’s piper, Paul Burns, playing Sleep, Dearie, Sleep. The lyrics are also military, and very Scottish: “Sodger, lie doon on yer wee pickle straw/ It’s no very broad, and it’s no very braw/ But, Sodger, it’s better than naething at a’/ Sae sleep, Sodger, sleep.”
TIMES

PS I am probably the only person in the world who loves the sound of bagpipes.

Pictured: lone piper after Queen's lowering down to the vault.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qu 34.jpg (24.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Vixen; 20th September 2022 at 09:41 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 09:53 AM   #1148
Rolfe
Adult human female

Jeez. An entire college of piping attached to the Scottish Conservatoire, competitions and recitals all over the country, young people taking up the pipes on a daily basis, new music being written for the instrument, classical composers incorporating the instrument into orchestral pieces...

... and Vixen thinks she's the only person in the world who likes it.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:49 PM   #1149
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

There's a scene in an old war movie - might have been Patton, I can't remember - where both American and British forces are moving into a captured city. The Americans are blaring out their Sousa march and the British have their pipes and drums. When both bands reach the middle of town the cacophony is incredible.

I have to say that I prefer the sound of the pipes and drums over the American style marching band, especially when they play Sousa. But not so much that I'd sit through an entire Edenborough Tattoo.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:39 PM   #1150
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
There's a scene in an old war movie - might have been Patton, I can't remember - where both American and British forces are moving into a captured city. The Americans are blaring out their Sousa march and the British have their pipes and drums. When both bands reach the middle of town the cacophony is incredible.

I have to say that I prefer the sound of the pipes and drums over the American style marching band, especially when they play Sousa. But not so much that I'd sit through an entire Edenborough Tattoo.
Edinburgh.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:11 PM   #1151
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Thank you. That was an autocorrect (why?) that went unnoticed.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 02:31 AM   #1152
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

It's not all pipers: there's a wide variety of different groups, usually with a military connection, to be fair, from all over the world. We were there in 2019, nice and warm which was unfortunate as the wasps were out in force, until the thunder and pouring rain drove them away.

That night there were two performances, so unless those had a change of clothing, it would have been a pretty soggy affair. But they were nothing if not professional, and it went off without a hitch.

Now, the World Pipe Band Championships, held in Glasgow a few weeks back is a different kettle of fish. Being a competition, there's less emphasis on the entertainment side of things, though it still draws large crowds.

I don't think I could sit through a whole day of that.
Old 21st September 2022, 05:34 AM   #1153
Rolfe
Adult human female

I remember being taken to a matinée as a child. It was a blazing hot day and most of what I remember is crying and trying to hide under the seats.
Old 21st September 2022, 05:56 AM   #1154
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

For me the best procession music of the day was the Scottish and Irish bagpipes and drums. The bearskins brass band didn't compare.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Mist Covered Mountains - Queen Elizabeth Funeral March by the Scottish and Irish Pipes and Drums

Turn up the volume!

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 06:15 AM   #1155
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
For me the best procession music of the day was the Scottish and Irish bagpipes and drums. The bearskins brass band didn't compare.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Mist Covered Mountains - Queen Elizabeth Funeral March by the Scottish and Irish Pipes and Drums

Turn up the volume!
Thanks Vixen. I did a bit of a search on Monday, unsuccessful, to find the name of that music. Now I know.
Old 21st September 2022, 06:57 AM   #1156
Rolfe
Adult human female

Hell with that tame stuff.

I AGREE

I AGREE
Old 21st September 2022, 07:00 AM   #1157
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks Vixen. I did a bit of a search on Monday, unsuccessful, to find the name of that music. Now I know.
MP3 version here by a US band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T...serve_Band.mp3

Old 21st September 2022, 07:09 AM   #1158
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Hell with that tame stuff.

I AGREE

I AGREE
Are you suggesting that these concert hall ditties are not "tame"? Sure not in the same league as any massed pipes and drums.
Old 21st September 2022, 07:10 AM   #1159
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Will people stop bumping this thread. It keeps making me think she has arisen to become our saviour!

As far as we know she is still dead.
Old 21st September 2022, 07:14 AM   #1160
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Headline in The Beaverton, a satirical web site:

Canada to honour the Queen by shutting off all hospital ventilators for 96 seconds
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events