IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Closed Thread
Old 20th September 2022, 02:43 PM   #1601
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I have some questions about the "referendums" allegedly "planned" in a few days in the "Luhansk" and "Donetsk" "People's" "Republics" - who will be "allowed" to cast "votes" in it?

Will those Ukrainians who "fled" from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to "Russia" be "allowed" to "participate"?
Will those Ukrainians who were abducted by Ruscist invaders to from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to "Russia" be "allowed" to "participate"?
Will those Ukrainians who fled from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to Ukrainian oblasts further West that are not "occupied" by "Russia" be "allowed" to "participate"?
Will those Ukrainians who fled from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to other countries that are friendly to Ukraine be "allowed" and invited to "participate"?
Specifically, will Yulia and Svieta, both Russian-speaking Ukrainians from Luhansk oblast, who have been guests of my brother here in Germany since they were forced to flee their home in Ukraine, in the Ukrainian oblast of Luhansk, because murderous Ruscists hordes threatened their lives, be able to cast their vote, which of course would be in favor of keeping the entirety of Luhansk oblast a natural part of a free, democratic, heroic Ukraine?

Given straight and honest answers to these questions, how could a supporter of Ruscist imperialism who feigns to support "democracy" justify the "referendums"?
Given the absence of straight and honest answers from any supporters of Ruscist imperialism, how is that not evidence they know perfectly well the "referendums" are cynical, cruel shams?
Old 20th September 2022, 02:58 PM   #1602
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Putin has been consistent since he spoke in German in the Reichstag in September of 2001.
Consistently spewing ******** doesn't make it any less ********, no matter the language it is vomited forth in.
Old 20th September 2022, 03:08 PM   #1603
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I am also glad I watched it. Two main reasons:

To appreciate the web of lies Putin weaved for himself to maneuver into this mess
How none of his stated hopes and expectations played out! Like, he asks Ukrainian soldiers to put down their arms and go home. LOL! Just LOL!

What a delusional whimp!

Some of the lies I noticed:

NATO promised not to expand eastward.

Ukrainians were committing genocide in Donbas.

Ukraine is run by Nazis.

Old 20th September 2022, 03:25 PM   #1604
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Some of the lies I noticed:

NATO promised not to expand eastward.

Ukrainians were committing genocide in Donbas.

Ukraine is run by Nazis.

That last one

https://twitter.com/541LCBT/status/1...udGrXYg-VBp4Yg

Quote:
LowerCascadianbridgetroll
@541LCBT
·
Jun 13
Big ol' photo dump of #nazi #russia soldiers and citizens.. mainly cuz I'm tired of lugging this crap around with me to dump in tankie threads.. I'll be able to dump this instead.
Check out this dip **** to start. Fairly recent pic
A very long thread.

Lots of them have become good NAZIs though.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 03:34 PM   #1605
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I have some questions about the "referendums" allegedly "planned" in a few days in the "Luhansk" and "Donetsk" "People's" "Republics" - who will be "allowed" to cast "votes" in it?

Will those Ukrainians who "fled" from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to "Russia" be "allowed" to "participate"?
Will those Ukrainians who were abducted by Ruscist invaders to from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to "Russia" be "allowed" to "participate"?
Will those Ukrainians who fled from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to Ukrainian oblasts further West that are not "occupied" by "Russia" be "allowed" to "participate"?
Will those Ukrainians who fled from Luhansk or Donetsk oblasts to other countries that are friendly to Ukraine be "allowed" and invited to "participate"?
Specifically, will Yulia and Svieta, both Russian-speaking Ukrainians from Luhansk oblast, who have been guests of my brother here in Germany since they were forced to flee their home in Ukraine, in the Ukrainian oblast of Luhansk, because murderous Ruscists hordes threatened their lives, be able to cast their vote, which of course would be in favor of keeping the entirety of Luhansk oblast a natural part of a free, democratic, heroic Ukraine?

Given straight and honest answers to these questions, how could a supporter of Ruscist imperialism who feigns to support "democracy" justify the "referendums"?
Given the absence of straight and honest answers from any supporters of Ruscist imperialism, how is that not evidence they know perfectly well the "referendums" are cynical, cruel shams?
Of course they will. And if they're unable to make it to the polling station a Russian Government Official will be more than happy to fill in the ballot for them.
Old 20th September 2022, 03:38 PM   #1606
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And if they were true, it's worse for Russia. Because an even smaller number is so effective.

And NATO has far more.
Poland is considering ordering up to 500...
https://www.defensenews.com/global/e...illery-forces/

Plus Poland will have access to the full range of missile systems for it.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:24 PM   #1607
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Here it is.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Monster.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:25 PM   #1608
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, I was fooled. I'm glad I watched it, because I hadn't seen this one before, but apologies to anyone who wasted time on it.
Thanks a lot!

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 04:27 PM   #1609
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely great. This is the leader of the free world, not that senile corrupt clown in the White House. Try to understand what he is talking about and get clear about the "side" you want to be on. Biden is a moron who can't tie his shoes, Putin is calling it like it is. You don't have to be "pro-Russian" to sense this, just be against organized crime.
Really? 'Genocide of millions of people'? Do you not recognise a lie when you hear one? And a blatant one at that.

Old 20th September 2022, 04:30 PM   #1610
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Yeah, this is from back in February.

Here's a version uploaded at the time:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It seems big tough Pootey has chickened out of (or is otherwise unable to deliver) his announced speech tonight.
Prolly cos he can't stop shaking, tapping his foot and clutching the table.

Old 20th September 2022, 04:41 PM   #1611
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Finnish President Niinistö:

Quote:
NEXTA
@nexta_tv
·
1h
The President of #Finland Sauli Niinistö spoke about "referendums"

"Now we are in a situation where Putin, using poker term, has gone all-in, and it is extremely risky to play this way. By all-in, I mean, for example, the political and economic future of Russia,"said Niinistö.
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/...-lxauGRyusk1Fg

There is a lot of speculation as to what has happened to Putin.

Old 20th September 2022, 04:55 PM   #1612
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Was manboobs thinking that speech was going to cause military-aged males to rush to a recruiting office? Doesn't exactly make you want to charge a machine gun nest does he?
Old 20th September 2022, 05:13 PM   #1613
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Finnish President Niinistö:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/...-lxauGRyusk1Fg

There is a lot of speculation as to what has happened to Putin.
I liked the reply that said "A referendum in Karelia, perhaps?". Wonder what the result would be if there were legitimate referendums in outlying areas of Russia? Actually I don't really wonder, they'd all leave.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 05:30 PM   #1614
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely great. This is the leader of the free world, not that senile corrupt clown in the White House. Try to understand what he is talking about and get clear about the "side" you want to be on. Biden is a moron who can't tie his shoes, Putin is calling it like it is. You don't have to be "pro-Russian" to sense this, just be against organized crime.
You so funny. I needed that laugh.

What free world is that? North Korea, Belarus, Turkey?

You do get that even Finland has requested to become a member of both the EU and NATO. Russia's alliances are shaky at best.

Putin is about to declare martial law in Russia. He can't trust anyone around him.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:11 PM   #1615
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

From Newsweek, via MSN:
'How to Leave Russia' Top Google Trend as Putin Delays National Address

Russia saw a spike in citizens searching Google for how to leave the country ahead of a now-canceled national address from President Vladimir Putin, driving speculation that Moscow would escalate its war effort in Ukraine.

The phrase "how to leave Russia" surged in Google searches on Tuesday ahead of Putin's much-anticipated speech, pointed out by the Mozhem Obyasnit Telegram channel. Putin's rare national speech was abruptly rescheduled for Wednesday, as the Kremlin has signaled it'll respond to losses in Ukraine with more aggressive approaches that could affect ordinary Russians.

Mozhem Obyasnit, founded by Russian dissidents and means "We Can Explain," found that Google queries about how to leave the country reached a peak at 6 p.m. Moscow time after seeing a sharp increase earlier Tuesday. Residents of the Khabarovsk Territory, in Russia's far east bordering China, were particularly interested in leaving, according to the channel.

"The russians were given 12 hours of rest, so Google could answer all the questions, including the question of what is the average life expectancy of a russian soldier in Ukraine," Ukraine's Defense Ministry tweeted Tuesday.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:14 PM   #1616
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

So, "Childlike Empress", what is the average life expectancy of a Russian soldier in Ukraine? Any idea?
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:15 PM   #1617
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I wonder if Putin's speech was delayed so that the security forces could prepare for potential civil disorder after the mobilization announcement.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:28 PM   #1618
Wildy
Adelaidean

It was probably delayed because the US leaked the news ruining it.
Old 20th September 2022, 07:12 PM   #1619
crescent
Philosopher

I wonder if Putin's speech was delayed so that the security forces could prepare for potential civil disorder after the mobilization announcement.
That made me curious, so I looked at #Moscow on twitter.

A search of that hashtag will often show people discussing security in the city. For example last week was Moscow day or something like that and security was very tight, some saw that as a sign that there was a potential coup in the making. A few days later traffic on the evening rush hour was worse than normal and took longer to ease up in the evening, partly because some of the security equipment was still in the way on a few roads - that again started more rumors.

So for now - no such rumors, nobody discussing the presence of extra police or national guard or anything like that. No discussion of barriers. So probably nothing yet.

Speech schedule to be in about three hours. I guess we'll see.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:28 PM   #1620
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The thought did occur to me. Not to mention enabling "measures" to minimize the emigration of draft age males.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 08:11 PM   #1621
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Lots of windows needed nailing shut.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:32 PM   #1622
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by FatherLukeduke View Post
In other news, Putin has left me hanging for long enough. Strangely, I feel like I've been stood up. The waiters are giving me sympathetic looks and I've polished off a whole bottle of wine.
At least you had the wine. Due to sanctions, poor Vladdy only had half a bottle of botox. That ain't enough to put his public speaking face on.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:38 PM   #1623
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Was manboobs thinking that speech was going to cause military-aged males to rush to a recruiting office?
In Putin's Russia, the recruiting office rushes to you.
Old 20th September 2022, 11:12 PM   #1624
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The BBC are reporting the speech.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share
Old 20th September 2022, 11:24 PM   #1625
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Partial mobilisation and the threat of using nuclear weapons.

Vlad will do good to stay away from any windows in the near future.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:31 PM   #1626
Michel H
Illuminator

Originally Posted by FatherLukeduke View Post
OK, you are going to be disingenuous. This was the part of your assertion that I was asking for evidence for, as I think you know.

Have you a shred of evidence for this?
Sure, I suggest you read carefully this part of a relevant wikipedia article ("post referendum polls"):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_C...ferendum_polls .

I also suggest you carefully listen to the first two minutes of this 2017 report by the BBC:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOPpUQKDbQ .

Referendums took place in the Donbass republics too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_D...us_referendums .

The West is often trying to dishonestly impose the probably incorrect idea that , every time an Ukrainian votes for joining Russia or for independence, it's just a despicable Russian manipulation.

But there has been (and probably still is) real pro-Russian sentiment in Ukraine, not every Russian-speaking Ukrainian was (or is) happy about the idea of Ukraine joining NATO.

Until 2022, Russia was the country which was defending democracy in Ukraine (this is unfortunately no longer true since their February invasion).

On the other hand, the American empire is always trying to expand the territory it controls (we can see this in Palestine too), providing a lot of weapons to achieve its goals.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:33 PM   #1627
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Partial mobilisation. Great.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:40 PM   #1628
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Huh. I assumed that he was just going to announce the upcoming referendums and do some stump speech about how neato they are gonna be.

I wonder if his occupation governors have been desperately trying to reach him for the past day and a half, to tell him they can't possibly set up even sham referendums on such short notice.
They've been talking about a hybrid voting system in which people can vote in person at the polling station or vote from home.

I expect it's something along the lines of everyone who turns up in person must be in favour of joining the Russian Federation (regardless of how they may have voted) because they've made such an effort. Everyone who didn't turn up in person must be in favour of joining the Russian Federation otherwise they would have turned up in person to make their opposition clear.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:50 PM   #1629
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Partial mobilisation. Great.
The BBC is understandably vague about what this might mean but it has mentioned calling up reservists. Russia's regular armed forces are supposedly around 1 million in number and they allegedly have around 2 million reservists. In theory, this allows Russia to triple the size of their armed forces in a single stroke - and devote an even greater number to Ukraine.

Will enough of those 2 million reservists present themselves for military service ? If a large number do turn up, will this have a knock-on effect to other parts of the Russian economy ? Will Russia be able to form these returning reservists into functioning military formations ?

I can see a lot of reservists making themselves scarce and/or finding ways not to have to serve after all and growing unrest in Russia because, whilst it's fun to protect your "fellow Russians" in theory if you personally have to strap on some body armour and grab a rifle, it becomes less tempting.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:54 PM   #1630
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Will be interesting to see how many members of the reserve forces fancy giving their lives to occupy a territory that they really shouldn't care about.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:57 PM   #1631
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Sure, I suggest you read carefully this part of a relevant wikipedia article ("post referendum polls"):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_C...ferendum_polls .

I also suggest you carefully listen to the first two minutes of this 2017 report by the BBC:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOPpUQKDbQ .

Referendums took place in the Donbass republics too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_D...us_referendums .

The West is often trying to dishonestly impose the probably incorrect idea that , every time an Ukrainian votes for joining Russia or for independence, it's just a despicable Russian manipulation.

But there has been (and probably still is) real pro-Russian sentiment in Ukraine, not every Russian-speaking Ukrainian was (or is) happy about the idea of Ukraine joining NATO.

Until 2022, Russia was the country which was defending democracy in Ukraine (this is unfortunately no longer true since their February invasion).

On the other hand, the American empire is always trying to expand the territory it controls (we can see this in Palestine too), providing a lot of weapons to achieve its goals.

All of that happened after the Russian occupation and can't be trusted. No one in their right mind would say anything against the Russians in an area controlled by the Orcs. Russia is always presumed to be dishonest. They've gone out of their way to earn that presumption. Only trust what Russia does, what Russia says can never be trusted.
Old 21st September 2022, 12:03 AM   #1632
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
All of that happened after the Russian occupation and can't be trusted. No one in their right mind would say anything against the Russians in an area controlled by the Orcs. Russia is always presumed to be dishonest. They've gone out of their way to earn that presumption. Only trust what Russia does, what Russia says can never be trusted.
And don't forget the ethnic cleansing that preceded the so-called referendum.
Old 21st September 2022, 12:10 AM   #1633
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

"Hey everybody, here's how the people who survived our genocide voted. See we're all democratic and stuff".
Old 21st September 2022, 12:14 AM   #1634
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The BBC is understandably vague about what this might mean but it has mentioned calling up reservists. Russia's regular armed forces are supposedly around 1 million in number and they allegedly have around 2 million reservists. In theory, this allows Russia to triple the size of their armed forces in a single stroke - and devote an even greater number to Ukraine.

Will enough of those 2 million reservists present themselves for military service ? If a large number do turn up, will this have a knock-on effect to other parts of the Russian economy ? Will Russia be able to form these returning reservists into functioning military formations ?

I can see a lot of reservists making themselves scarce and/or finding ways not to have to serve after all and growing unrest in Russia because, whilst it's fun to protect your "fellow Russians" in theory if you personally have to strap on some body armour and grab a rifle, it becomes less tempting.
The highlighted is possibly not a problem.

Given that several groups of levies haven't been issued with functional body armour

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 12:37 AM   #1635
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

So no referendums. Rumours were that they would happen within a week. That apparently couldn't even be justified by Putin.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 12:40 AM   #1636
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I listened to one Youtuber who came up with this amazing claim.

The reason Russia had to pull out of Kharkiv was that they were going to be the referendums. The people in Kharkiv would have been angry if they were left out.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 12:43 AM   #1637
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

The standing army was already a complete mess. Can't imagine what the reservists will be like.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 12:52 AM   #1638
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Seriously - will they have the equipment to kit out any significant number of reservists?
Old 21st September 2022, 12:52 AM   #1639
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/15/polit...ons/index.html

The Pentagon is over thinking this. We really should be giving these longer range systems to Ukraine. The war will end sooner if Ukraine can bring Sevastopol and the airbases in Crimea under long-range missile fires.
Old 21st September 2022, 12:54 AM   #1640
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Seriously - will they have the equipment to kit out any significant number of reservists?
It didn't look like they had enough kit to equip their standing army back in February. Some of the local militias in Donbas were getting bolt-action rifles.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics