IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 130 76.92%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.37%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 29 17.16%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.55%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd September 2022, 04:16 PM   #2921
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The President holds a unique position in our society, assuredly, but the question is, does a former President hold a unique legal position in our society? That is, should the law treat a former president differently? Or is the former president now just like a regular citizen in terms of the law? I don't see anything in our traditions, customs, law, constitution, etc., that would suggest that a former president is anything but a citizen, legally.
According to Judge Cannon, a former president is entitled to special treatment by the courts.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 04:21 PM   #2922
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
. . .
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Them's the true believers right there.
Frankly, I'm relieved it's only a third.
Never mind that Trump has admitted it and denied it. Almost in the same breath.
Old 23rd September 2022, 04:26 PM   #2923
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Judge Cannon ended up screwing Trump. She went ahead and modified her order after getting slapped by the appeals court, which basically removed the chance for Trump to take the issue of the 103 classified documents to SCOTUS. Oops!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...95425458ebe6ee
Ooooops.

And now he's being bitch slapped by the special master at a $1000@hr plus expenses and if he doesn't pay the bill within 7 days of the invoice he'll be held in contempt.
Old 23rd September 2022, 05:27 PM   #2924
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That, and so many other things written regarding treating trump with kid gloves, are a sad reflection on the current state of American society. The country that once rebelled against the tyranny of kings has effectively adopted a royalty of their own and set them up as above the law that applies to all other citizens. Your country, and your legal system, should be very ashamed of this attitude. I cannot imagine a former Canadian prime minister being treated with such deference after committing a treasonous crime.
This Canuck is also shaking his head over the bizarre American adoption of its version of 'royalty.' It should be cause for national shame that a hungry hobo can get sent to prison for shoplifting a few bucks worth of food, while the upper crust who rob the nation of millions get the kid glove treatment.

Actually, it's a global problem; even we up here in The Great White North have something of a two-tiered system.

But the so called bastion of democracy and the rule of law has degenerated to an atrocious degree that stands out. Particularly so given the fervor in chest thumping.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 05:45 PM   #2925
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Those two questions would establish that he's in violation of the Presidential Records Act, but that law has no consequences (there's no punishment for violation).

You need a bit more for teethier violations, like the Espionage Act.
What has happened to other citizens who had secret documents in their possession outside of the proper facility? Even when ill intent was known to not be an element of the misfeasance? The same considerations and treatment must befall everyone else.

This red herring of the need to peer into Drumpf's skull in order to divine intent is immaterial. Unless it is to charge additional crimes, such as espionage.

This national need, to a degree of seeming desperation, to want to believe that their President is in actuality a naive innocent, an ignorant buffoon stumbling through his term with not even minimally competent advisers to keep him from accidentally pulling a dumb, and is therefore beyond blame, stupifies me. This is truly cognitive dissonance.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 05:54 PM   #2926
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
They would certainly have tried, and it would also have been tremendously destructive and divisive for the country, much more so than Clinton's impeachment, which should never have happened. I'm all for prosecuting as many of Trump's ilk as possible, just as dozens of Nixon's co-conspirators, including the Attorney General, went to prison. But the plain fact is that the President does hold a unique position in our society, and that has to be a consideration. That's why Ford pardoned Nixon, for which he was criticized at the time but which is generally agreed now was the right decision.
Generally agreed by whom? A majority? What if a majority now want to see Dump convicted and jailed? Would that not be 'generally agreed' upon?

Besides, why this desperate need to hoist POTUS to an exalted position that puts him above the laws that every one else is constrained by? That's insane, because then you have effectively a king.
Old 23rd September 2022, 06:01 PM   #2927
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
That's good news. Trump wastes too much US public money as it is, and his pathetic flailing about is always best curtailed early.
Has any one individual American ever cost his society so much? If we toss in the hundreds of thousands of Covid deaths on his little hands, I would strenuously argue no contest. But taking those needlessly lost souls off the table and just totting up the monetary damage, does the syphilitic sphincter still take top billing?
Old 23rd September 2022, 06:39 PM   #2928
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
What has happened to other citizens who had secret documents in their possession outside of the proper facility? Even when ill intent was known to not be an element of the misfeasance? The same considerations and treatment must befall everyone else.
I'll remind you that Segnosaur's questions were:
Quote:
- Are these government documents?
- Were they in your possession?
He didn't raise issues of confidentiality. Hence, while this would be enough for a violation of the Presidential Records Act (I think), it wouldn't violate the Espionage or other acts.

For that matter, I have heard that there are standards used by the DOJ that might preclude prosecution for accidental misuse of classified documents in certain cases and these standards applied in Hillary's case, for instance. I don't recall the details and don't know if they would apply to Trump, but I doubt it (since one document was, per anonymous sources, about another country's weapons, including nuclear).

Quote:
This red herring of the need to peer into Drumpf's skull in order to divine intent is immaterial. Unless it is to charge additional crimes, such as espionage.
I wasn't referring to that at all. I doubt that a court will take seriously this notion of declassification without any record of it at all. Boy, I hope not.

Quote:
This national need, to a degree of seeming desperation, to want to believe that their President is in actuality a naive innocent, an ignorant buffoon stumbling through his term with not even minimally competent advisers to keep him from accidentally pulling a dumb, and is therefore beyond blame, stupifies me. This is truly cognitive dissonance.
No idea what you're talking about here. I think you've misread me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:18 PM   #2929
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I doubt that a court will take seriously this notion of declassification without any record of it at all. Boy, I hope not.
To me, it seems implausible that a court could recognize something as having been a presidential act if it was neither publicly announced nor documented in any way. Relying on 1 or 2 parties to a private conversation to "verify" that the president made a statement that changed the legality of something doesn't at all seem like a valid basis for making judicial rulings. But I have yet to hear a lawyer state this.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 23rd September 2022 at 07:26 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:29 PM   #2930
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

If a president can silently declassify documents, then can someone charged with illegally possessing classified documents subpoena everyone who was president since those particular documents were created to testify as to whether or not they silently declassified the documents?

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 23rd September 2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:41 PM   #2931
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
. . .

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Them's the true believers right there.
Frankly, I'm relieved it's only a third.

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd September 2022 at 07:42 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:43 PM   #2932
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Judge Cannon ended up screwing Trump. She went ahead and modified her order after getting slapped by the appeals court, which basically removed the chance for Trump to take the issue of the 103 classified documents to SCOTUS. Oops!

Quote:
Vladeck agreed that the odds of there being five votes to override the ruling — even on a court stacked with Trump appointees — are "exceedingly close to zero."
Alito, Thomas, Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Barrett: "Hold our beers!"
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:23 PM   #2933
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Extremely concerning. The Marquette Law School national survey finds that "33% of adults say they do not believe Donald Trump had top secret and other classified material at his Mar-a-Lago estate this summer [and] 61% of Republicans say he did not have such secret documents." Link to poll on Marquette website

After trump has admitted to having them? What does JoeMorgue call them? The "proudly wrong."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oh hell no!.jpg (69.0 KB, 4 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:46 PM   #2934
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

The President holds a unique position in our society, assuredly, but the question is, does a former President hold a unique legal position in our society? That is, should the law treat a former president differently? Or is the former president now just like a regular citizen in terms of the law? I don't see anything in our traditions, customs, law, constitution, etc., that would suggest that a former president is anything but a citizen, legally.

Agreed. He has neither more rights nor fewer rights than anyone else.

A country either has a rule of law or doesn’t have a rule of law.
I, like many on this board, consider the rule of law to be an integral part of America.

ETA I spoke with a judge who explained that in making their rulings, they cannot consider the effects on society. It is not their job to think about what is best for the country. It is their job to apply the law objectively and fairly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 23rd September 2022 at 08:50 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:32 PM   #2935
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Agreed. He has neither more rights nor fewer rights than anyone else.

A country either has a rule of law or doesn’t have a rule of law.
I, like many on this board, consider the rule of law to be an integral part of America.

ETA I spoke with a judge who explained that in making their rulings, they cannot consider the effects on society. It is not their job to think about what is best for the country. It is their job to apply the law objectively and fairly.

The question is whether a former President should be prosecuted, and for what. That's a decision made by U.S. attorneys and district attorneys, not judges. They decide what goes to trial, and they exercise discretion every day. They don't prosecute every case they see, and they don't always charge the most severe crimes they could, any more than a police officer writes tickets for every traffic infraction he observes. I personally would like to see Trump behind bars. But a compelling case has to be made not only to a jury, but to the American people. I say again I don't think it's a slam dunk.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:51 PM   #2936
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It should be a no-brainer that Presidents should be ESPECIALLY prosecuted for crimes they only could commit BECAUSE they were Presidents: if you don't criminalize Abuse of Power, you might as well not have any Rule of Law.
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:49 PM   #2937
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It should be a no-brainer that Presidents should be ESPECIALLY prosecuted for crimes they only could commit BECAUSE they were Presidents: if you don't criminalize Abuse of Power, you might as well not have any Rule of Law.
Good point. Because that's exactly what this is.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:50 PM   #2938
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It should be a no-brainer that Presidents should be ESPECIALLY prosecuted for crimes they only could commit BECAUSE they were Presidents: if you don't criminalize Abuse of Power,....
... then failure to do so will result in you getting leaders like Vladimir Putin, Benito Mussolini, Augusto Pinochet, Leopoldo Galtieri, Adolph Hitler, Kim Jong-un and his father Kim Jong-Il.

Power corrupts - absolute power corrupts absolutely!
- John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton (Lord Acton)
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 12:06 AM   #2939
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

She is smart enough...just...to understand that her original ruling was hideously awful and was sending her to professional oblivion. The appellate decision gave her a glimpse of a way out. She "suddenly decided" she was not going to flame her career for Trump after all.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 12:12 AM   #2940
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Extremely concerning. The Marquette Law School national survey finds that "33% of adults say they do not believe Donald Trump had top secret and other classified material at his Mar-a-Lago estate this summer [and] 61% of Republicans say he did not have such secret documents." Link to poll on Marquette website

After trump has admitted to having them? What does JoeMorgue call them? The "proudly wrong."
Dearie has asked Trump to bring his evidence to court that these "never existed" documents were planted by the FBI. Put up or shut up.

So what will these Proudly Wrong say when Donny's team produces nothing? Stand by for the next pathetic excuse.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 01:35 AM   #2941
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump's selected Master, Trump's attorney and Trump's appointed judges are all Antifa agents, apparently.
Old 24th September 2022, 03:25 AM   #2942
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's selected Master, Trump's attorney and Trump's appointed judges are all Antifa agents, apparently.
I promise you that if The Fat Orange Turd actually makes that claim, his MAGA moron sycophants will believe unquestioningly!

Last edited by smartcooky; 24th September 2022 at 04:08 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 03:51 AM   #2943
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And to consider how extraordinary that a few pissweak weak-ass libtards can cause so much havoc for the greatest, most powerful American hero the world has ever known and his top-of-the-line legal superheroes.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 24th September 2022 at 03:53 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 04:09 AM   #2944
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
And to consider how extraordinary that a few pissweak weak-ass libtards can cause so much havoc for the greatest, most powerful American hero the world has ever known and his top-of-the-line legal superheroes.
Only the best people don'tchaknow!
Old 24th September 2022, 04:54 AM   #2945
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone heard anything FoxNews has said about the Special Master? Are they on the attack? Or just ignoring it?
Old 24th September 2022, 05:10 AM   #2946
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Has anyone heard anything FoxNews has said about the Special Master? Are they on the attack? Or just ignoring it?
As near as I can tell, their reaction has been...

Old 24th September 2022, 06:35 AM   #2947
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

If I, a non-lawyer, were to find myself in court having to argue against Trump's claim to have verbally declassified documents, I would advance 2 arguments:

- It would be untenable for a court to hold that a president could change the legality of an activity (in this case, the ability for a person without a security clearance to possess certain documents) by a simple verbal statement in an unrecorded, undocumented, and possibly private conversation the contents of which exist solely in the memories of those who were present.

- As the president is the final authority over classification, the president must be able to ascertain the classification status of existing documents. It would therefore be an abrogation of the president's authority in matters of classification if a predecessor's decisions to change the classification status of existing documents could not be determined.

How far would I get?

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 24th September 2022 at 06:36 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 06:50 AM   #2948
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

But he didn't have any. He declassified them with his Jedi mind-trick!
Old 24th September 2022, 07:35 AM   #2949
Apathia
Philosopher

Who can declassify with a wave of a hand, or a thought?
Any dictator can.
Once again Trump is expressing the kind of power he believes he should have and have it right now.
33% or more Americans are willing to give him that power.
I don't understand how the USA would be able to have an actual functioning democracy with so many of its citizens not able, not willing to function in and uphold one.
If Trump is not held accountable by rule of law, a rule of the autocrat is forthcoming.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 08:09 AM   #2950
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

He declassified another one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trumpnac the magnificent.jpg (42.5 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 08:54 AM   #2951
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I think this point has been raised already but I still wonder if there is a good answer.

If a President can declassify documents with the magic of his mind, cannot an actual sitting President classify documents using the same technique. Binden can then surely reclassify the document that T has or classify any documents in the USA including your last weeks shopping list? That's some slippery slope!
Old 24th September 2022, 09:08 AM   #2952
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I forgot a possible FoxNews response: talk about Hilary Clinton and Hunter Biden.
Old 24th September 2022, 09:11 AM   #2953
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The question is whether a former President should be prosecuted, and for what. That's a decision made by U.S. attorneys and district attorneys, not judges. They decide what goes to trial, and they exercise discretion every day. They don't prosecute every case they see, and they don't always charge the most severe crimes they could, any more than a police officer writes tickets for every traffic infraction he observes. I personally would like to see Trump behind bars. But a compelling case has to be made not only to a jury, but to the American people. I say again I don't think it's a slam dunk.
Why does the case have to be made to the American people if the case can be made to a jury?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 10:37 AM   #2954
Tero
Master Poster

To get us past Trump? To avoid Proud Boys riot?

None of the violence would coordinate well, the Jan 6th events were unusual as they were tied to the election and the electoral count.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 11:46 AM   #2955
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Why does the case have to be made to the American people if the case can be made to a jury?
Trump is not only a former president, he is potentially a future presidential candidate for the major party that currently is not in power. Therefore, there needs to be an assurance to the American people that Trump really did commit a serious offense (or, more likely, offenses) and that it isn't just a case of eliminating a contender for the presidency.

Old 24th September 2022, 11:49 AM   #2956
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is not only a former president, he is potentially a future presidential candidate for the major party that currently is not in power. Therefore, there needs to be an assurance to the American people that Trump really did commit a serious offense (or, more likely, offenses) and that it isn't just a case of eliminating a contender for the presidency.
everyone is a potential future President. Yet Trump is the first to demand that that should get him special consideration.
Old 24th September 2022, 12:36 PM   #2957
arayder
Illuminator

The other side of the coin is that we want a political system in which the purely political prosecution of a political candidate or a sitting officer holder is nearly impossible.

Trump shrewdly plays this desire by constantly claiming he's being persecuted by his political opponents. It seems to me that as his misdeeds get more and more obvious he's only ramped up the language.

What I don't understand is why Trump insists on doing things that push that criminal envelope, thus prompting prosecutors and the general public to in effect say, "We can't let this go, Former Guy."
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 12:45 PM   #2958
Paul2
Philosopher

What G.Z. said.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 12:47 PM   #2959
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The other side of the coin is that we want a political system in which the purely political prosecution of a political candidate or a sitting officer holder is nearly impossible.
The way you do that is to foster in the institutions the values of professionalism and service to the country, which is just what Trump can not even imagine.

Old 24th September 2022, 02:07 PM   #2960
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The way you do that is to foster in the institutions the values of professionalism and service to the country, which is just what Trump can not even imagine.
Trump not only cannot imagine this, he actively and specifically refuses to engage in it when confronted with the need. In fact, he deliberately goes against these ethics.

So rather than "foster", it needs to be "enforced". For a start, every political candidate should be required to pass a basic civics test to ensure they can actually understand and perform the job they are standing for. Fail, and no candidacy. It's a basic job-hire requirement almost everywhere else that you need to have relevant knowledge and skills to take to your job application. Why not for politicians?

Then there needs to be immediate and firm discipline if they stray outside certain guidelines. Every company has its HR and office ethical standards. Breach them and actions follow, up to and including dismissal. Why not for politicians too?

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 24th September 2022 at 02:09 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics