IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 23rd September 2022, 10:52 AM   #1761
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Bah, it's clear Bastet is vastly superior. Only when the Egyptians lost their faith in the True Goddess and her messengers did their civilization collapse. Bastet worship lasted millennia longer than this insignificant upstart called Allah.

Only once She is properly worshiped again shall the true kingdom of the Nile return.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:49 AM   #1762
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
This is not prayer. This is salat. They are different.
Salat is just the Arabic word for prayer. The ritual may be different, but the concept is the same, as is the aim.

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 01:01 PM   #1763
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

In the Quran, pray is the easiest. You can pray even lying on your side. You don't even need to close the door.

The explanation I have given in the link is to salaat/namaz.

Salaat includes praying also.
This is very important.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 02:19 PM   #1764
Mojo
Mostly harmless

This is very important.

No it isn’t.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:56 PM   #1765
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Be careful of this. It has not worked out very well for those of the Baháʼí Faith.
Sorry, I don't get your point.

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 12:22 AM   #1766
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

In the Quran, pray is the easiest. You can pray even lying on your side. You don't even need to close the door.

The explanation I have given in the link is to salaat/namaz.

So let me get this straight.

In typical Islam, specific body positions and movements and direction of facing are important when praying. And it is very important to repeat these movements multiple times per day. Or else you are not a true Muslim.

But you are saying that as long as you think about Allah at some point in your waking hours, it doesn't really matter what you are doing. You could be sleeping, having a bath, cooking a meal. Completely the opposite of a typical Muslim.

Is that what you are saying here?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 02:51 AM   #1767
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

In typical Islam, specific body positions and movements and direction of facing are important when praying.

No, you haven't read the link, again.

I am saying that salaat/namaz and prayer are different, and I am giving the article that explains how salaat should be performed according to the verses. If you read what is written, you would not make such funny questions and comments.

I am giving the link again:

https://free-minds.org/forum/index.p...6026#msg436026
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 04:01 AM   #1768
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr

In typical Islam, specific body positions and movements and direction of facing are important when praying.

No, you haven't read the link, again.

I am saying that salaat/namaz and prayer are different, and I am giving the article that explains how salaat should be performed according to the verses. If you read what is written, you would not make such funny questions and comments.

I am giving the link again:

https://free-minds.org/forum/index.p...6026#msg436026
So you ARE saying that specific body positions and movements and direction of facing are important? I'm trying to learn here.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 04:03 AM   #1769
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

So you ARE saying that specific body positions and movements and direction of facing are important? I'm trying to learn here.
Yes, read please.
Old 24th September 2022, 04:45 AM   #1770
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Emre, do you pray 5 times a day?
If you do, do you face Mecca?

Old 24th September 2022, 05:02 AM   #1771
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Yes, but 3 times. Read the article.

And pray alot of times. Salaat is not only pray/dua. They are different terms.

Last edited by Emre_1974tr; 24th September 2022 at 05:07 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 05:18 AM   #1772
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Yes, but 3 times. Read the article.

And pray alot of times. Salaat is not only pray/dua. They are different terms.
And only during salaat do you turn towards Mecca. But when you only pray, there is no need for any direction.

You can pray by turning in any direction, even lying down if you want.

Last edited by Emre_1974tr; 24th September 2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 24th September 2022, 06:08 AM   #1773
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And only during salaat do you turn towards Mecca. But when you only pray, there is no need for any direction.

But you just finished telling me above that body positions and movements and direction of facing ARE important. I asked you to be clear. So which is it? You need to follow the formula? Or you need not bother following the formula. Pick one only.
Old 24th September 2022, 08:45 AM   #1774
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, I don't get your point.
Sorry. It is a bit skewed. All I was trying to say that revising the Moslem religion has not worked out well for the Baháʼís.
Old 24th September 2022, 09:02 AM   #1775
sackett
Philosopher

Yes, but

We must consider taalas and mazan. And do we not face Accem? And yet are we uduw?

maru'Q is read by the riffek!! And do they pray? All things fack &.borth, Halla he created meth!

By Dammahom's henna beard, it is hard to write or right, or yet rite in reverse!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 09:33 AM   #1776
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

But you just finished telling me above that body positions and movements and direction of facing ARE important. I asked you to be clear. So which is it? You need to follow the formula? Or you need not bother following the formula. Pick one only.
He's saying there is a difference between the three/five* times a day ritual and actual prayer.

*increased early on to appeal to Zoarastrian converts as the Arabs swept across persia , I understand, hence Emre's objections
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 01:19 PM   #1777
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
He's saying there is a difference between the three/five* times a day ritual and actual prayer.

*increased early on to appeal to Zoarastrian converts as the Arabs swept across persia , I understand, hence Emre's objections
In Islam, they are the same.
Old 24th September 2022, 01:45 PM   #1778
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

In Islam, they are the same.
Could you cite whatever it is that has confused you?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 01:55 PM   #1779
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Could you cite whatever it is that has confused you?
Nothing. The confused one seems to be our OP.
Old 24th September 2022, 01:56 PM   #1780
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing. The confused one seems to be our OP.
But you seem to be saying there is only one form of prayer in Islam and that is definitely not true.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2022, 02:01 PM   #1781
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
But you seem to be saying there is only one form of prayer in Islam and that is definitely not true.
I'm not the one saying that, he is. Consistency is not his watchword.
Old 24th September 2022, 03:14 PM   #1782
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Fasting, going on pilgrimage, salaat are not prayers.

These acts of worship include prayer, but they are not themselves prayer.

Salaat is not praying.

If anyone still doesn't understand, please contact me via private message and don't humiliate yourself further on the forum.

Peace
Old 24th September 2022, 03:46 PM   #1783
junkshop
Graduate Poster

...As for salat, only the Qur'an tells you how to salat correctly...
This is not prayer. This is salat. They are different...The explanation I have given in the link is to salaat/namaz.

...I am saying that salaat/namaz and prayer are different...
...And pray alot of times. Salaat is not only pray/dua. They are different terms.
And only during salaat do you turn towards Mecca. But when you only pray, there is no need for any direction...

Salaat is not praying...
Why did 'salat' become 'salaat'? What's the difference? Is there a difference?

I'm not the one saying that, he is. Consistency is not his watchword.
Old 24th September 2022, 04:16 PM   #1784
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
No.

Salat, salaat, namaz...Same.
Old 24th September 2022, 04:31 PM   #1785
junkshop
Graduate Poster

No.

Salat, salaat, namaz...Same.
OK, cool. If the spelling, (or even the word) used is so unimportant, then I'm gonna go with goobledygook.

It nakes a change from woo.
Old 24th September 2022, 07:32 PM   #1786
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Only if you are willing to lie.
Previously you were talking about atheists, who believe no gods exist.
I guess I am not the only one who is lying.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:49 PM   #1787
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Salaat is not praying.

If anyone still doesn't understand, please contact me via private message and don't humiliate yourself further on the forum.

Peace
Why does a god need worship at all?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 12:01 AM   #1788
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post

Without bothering to find my Arabic dictionary, I believe both are transliterations of an Arabic word containing a consonant that doesn’t exist in English. In one case it is ignored, and in the other it is given as a double a. The word is the same.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 12:28 AM   #1789
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post

So that the people who invented the god can be venerated.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 03:13 AM   #1790
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

These are our needs, not God's.

Both material and spiritual.

Just like eating or art...

He who does the acts of worship is doing himself a favor. Those who do not do them are wronging themselves.
Old 25th September 2022, 04:21 AM   #1791
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Exactly. People invent gods to comfort themselves, or because they want an unquestionable source of authority.

Old 25th September 2022, 04:40 AM   #1792
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Both material and spiritual.

Just like eating or art...

He who does the acts of worship is doing himself a favor. Those who do not do them are wronging themselves.
So, not worshiping your god will have no consequences for those that do not do so should it exist?

In that case, what's the point of the Quran and Mohammed? If your god does not care about worship, why bother with a book that says how to worship?
Old 25th September 2022, 04:45 AM   #1793
catsmate
No longer the 1

Bah, it's clear Bastet is vastly superior. Only when the Egyptians lost their faith in the True Goddess and her messengers did their civilization collapse. Bastet worship lasted millennia longer than this insignificant upstart called Allah.

Only once She is properly worshiped again shall the true kingdom of the Nile return.
Leonard agrees. He and his fellow felines are still devout.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 04:46 AM   #1794
catsmate
No longer the 1

This is very important.
No it's nonsensical drivel.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 04:48 AM   #1795
catsmate
No longer the 1

And is the direction correct, given the Earth is an oblate spheroid?
Old 25th September 2022, 07:32 AM   #1796
sackett
Philosopher

"Face east! Face toward Mecca!"
"What if you're east of Mecca?"
[Brief pause.] "Then face around the world toward Mecca!"
"Isn't that just mooning Mecca?"
[Romantic melody on soundtrack.]

"Moon over Mecca, Mecca and the moooooon!
Stoning Satan in the afternoooooooon!
Circling the Ka'aba, oh! how many times!
Sunstroke convulsions in Arabian climes!
I swoooon
Over Mecca upon
My
Arabiaaaan
Duuuuuuuuuuune!"

[Segue to lively drum solo. Enter dance troupe, the Medina Bumboys.]

"There goes a ninfidel!
You say he's not dead?
Well pull out yer sword
'N off with his HEAD!"

[Keep it up for 90 minutes and you have a movie.]

sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 09:01 AM   #1797
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
"Face east! Face toward Mecca!"
"What if you're east of Mecca?"
[Brief pause.] "Then face around the world toward Mecca!"
"Isn't that just mooning Mecca?"
[Romantic melody on soundtrack.]

"Moon over Mecca, Mecca and the moooooon!
Stoning Satan in the afternoooooooon!
Circling the Ka'aba, oh! how many times!
Sunstroke convulsions in Arabian climes!
I swoooon
Over Mecca upon
My
Arabiaaaan
Duuuuuuuuuuune!"

[Segue to lively drum solo. Enter dance troupe, the Medina Bumboys.]

"There goes a ninfidel!
You say he's not dead?
Well pull out yer sword
'N off with his HEAD!"

[Keep it up for 90 minutes and you have a movie.]
Monty Python and the Holey Kaaba?
Old 25th September 2022, 10:23 AM   #1798
sackett
Philosopher

I'm nobody's librettist. But you knew that.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Monty Python and the Holey Kaaba?
Hope, Crosby, and L'Amour. The Road to Mohammad's.

Old 25th September 2022, 02:56 PM   #1799
Thor 2
Philosopher

Tell me Emre, have you ever thought of visiting a place in French Polynesia near the island of Fakamaru?

The place is directly opposite Mecca on the globe so you can pray (salaat) in any direction as the distance to Mecca is the same. Mind you, strictly speaking, you should pray facing down, unless you think your prayer will orbit the earth (under gravitational influence) to reach Mecca.
Old 29th September 2022, 03:12 PM   #1800
Thor 2
Philosopher

So, I notice Emre is not inclined to tackle the subject, about the absurdity of facing towards Mecca from all over the globe. Pity, because it is a clear example of the absurdity of this requirement, given that the Earth is spheroidal. Clearly the minds behind this, thought the Earth was flat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy