IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Get images from Google art project?

I want to download hi-res images from Google Art Project.
http://www.google.com/culturalinstit...ct/art-project

With the intention of having some artwork printed on canvas or possibly a finer textile.

The site doesn't offer the option of downloading, which is disappointing.
The artists I like have been dead for over 200 years, so it should be fair-use IMHO.

But I imagine they had to make a deal with those museums, and those museums have museum shops.

I have looked for a solution, but can't find any.

Does anybody know a way to download images from Google Art Project?
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
sophia8
Master Poster

http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/about/:
Quote:
Are the images on the Cultural Institute and Art Project site copyright-protected?

The high-resolution imagery featured on the site is owned by their respective museums or collections, and these images may be subject to various copyright laws around the world. The Street View imagery is owned by Google. All imagery on this site is not intended for download and is provided for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Cultural Institute site, in the manner permitted by Google’s Terms of Service. The normal Google Terms of Service apply to your use of the entire site.
ETA:
In other words, it's a virtual gallery and you can't take the pictures down off the walls. If you want to use any of the pictures, then go to the museum's website and see what their terms are. Or else, search for the images on sites like Wikimedia Commons or Creative Commons. Or just use Google Image search and find images that are clearly marked copyright-free.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney

Last edited by sophia8; 4th November 2013 at 10:09 AM.
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Dammit.

I'll give Corbis a shot.
Hopefully it won't cost too much.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Cannot download them as .jpg. Can download them as a webpage. This means you can look at a page even if you do not have access to the internet. Method
1. Use Google Chrome (may work for other products but I use Chrome)
2. At the top right of the page, to the right of the URL there are a series of short horizontal lines. Click this icon. A menu appears
3. Click the save as button.
4. Save the page somewhere. Remember this location.
5. Go to that location and click on the saved file. The page appears.

You can do steps 2 and 3 by ctrl+S.
Old 6th November 2013, 03:40 AM   #5
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

That's useful for viewing the images off-line.
But Really wanted a hi-res image to make a large print.
It is supposed to cover a whole wall with printed textile, hiding the sound isolation foam behind it.

I'll have to see if stock image sites have art available.

I'm mostly interested in old Japanese and European renaissance works.
Old 6th November 2013, 05:20 AM   #6
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
That's useful for viewing the images off-line.
But Really wanted a hi-res image to make a large print.
It is supposed to cover a whole wall with printed textile, hiding the sound isolation foam behind it.

I'll have to see if stock image sites have art available.

I'm mostly interested in old Japanese and European renaissance works.
It is worth checking wikimedia commons because one of its users has managed to grab a lot of the high resolution files off google art:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...?uselang=en-gb
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by geni View Post
It is worth checking wikimedia commons because one of its users has managed to grab a lot of the high resolution files off google art:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...?uselang=en-gb
Excellent! Thank you.

It's organised by collection, so it will take some browsing.

I'm sure there's plenty to my liking here.
Old 7th November 2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Wudang
BOFH

The site doesn't offer the option of downloading, which is disappointing.
The artists I like have been dead for over 200 years, so it should be fair-use IMHO.
I imagine it took a skilled photographer with a high-end camera quite some time to take such quality photographs.
Old 7th November 2013, 04:16 AM   #9
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I imagine it took a skilled photographer with a high-end camera quite some time to take such quality photographs.
True. Don't know about the rights of the photographer in that case. I imagine the Museum buys those rights.
Old 26th September 2022, 04:07 AM   #10
Pop Alexandra
New Blood

True. Don't know about the rights of the photographer in that case. I imagine the Museum buys those rights.
It depends from case to case. Artists have the rights to their works and can "rent" them out for a predetermined period.
Pop Alexandra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet