IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th September 2022, 07:53 AM   #1
Kaylee
Illuminator

Recommendations for Zoom Recordings Editor?

Can anyone recommend a simple video editor that I could use to edit one of my Zoom recordings?

Zoom allows you to trim off as much as you like from the beginning and end of the recording, but as far as I can tell, it does not have any other editing capabilities.

I'm looking to be able to "snip out" parts of the video and perhaps even blur over some of the video frames for particularly badly aimed parts of the video.

There was a memorial for one of my friends who had passed away and since not all of her friends and family could attend, I offered to record part of it on my cell phone and laptop on Zoom. I did a pretty terrible job and would like to make it a little less awful before I send folks the link.

Thanks in advance!
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 08:16 AM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A quick check of my Zoom folder shows that the files are i .MP4 format. There are zoodles of video editing programs out there and I don't actually know enough to recommend any one (someone with more experience may help you) but any one should work.
Old 27th September 2022, 11:02 AM   #3
Kaylee
Illuminator

Thanks Gord. Its good to know that Zoom decided to use a common format.

I'm hoping that someone will recommend an editor. Some folks are waiting to see the recording, and I'd like to make it a little more viewable before I send them a link. (Bonus, I'll be less embarrassed about the quality also. )
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
Thanks Gord. Its good to know that Zoom decided to use a common format.

I'm hoping that someone will recommend an editor. Some folks are waiting to see the recording, and I'd like to make it a little more viewable before I send them a link. (Bonus, I'll be less embarrassed about the quality also. )
The reason I did not recommend one is that I only rarely use a video editor and tend to try an new one each time in that faint hope I can find one that is completely intuitive. They are all much of a muchness but if you are on Win 10 (or above I guess) the built in Video editor is as good as any.
Old 27th September 2022, 01:20 PM   #5
Donal
Philosopher

the basic version of Davinci is free and open sourced
Old 27th September 2022, 06:41 PM   #6
Kaylee
Illuminator

Thanks Gord and Donal. Right now I'm using a laptop lent to me by my employer. The OS is Win 10 and for some reason it doesn't appear to have a built in video editor so I think I"ll give Davinci a try first.

I appreciate the referrals because while a basic search showed a lot of free on-line options I haven't kept up with software enough to know which was safe to use and which might come complete with viruses.

I'm short on time and am just looking for something to make my Zoom recording somewhat salvageable for now.

I hope to give it a try tomorrow night.

Thanks again!
Old 27th September 2022, 07:33 PM   #7
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I may have downloaded the Video Editor from the Microsoft Store. It is available to you for Windows 10 but just download and use the DaVinci Resolve Free Video Editor if you wish. There are also a couple of YouTube help videos you can look at to give you some idea on how to use it.

Bonne chance!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet