IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd September 2022, 02:19 PM   #1
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Hurricane!

Fiona is headed our way. We are almost dead center of the predicted track when it arrives in Nova Scotia on Saturday. Currently predicted to be Cat 2. Should be a wild weekend!
Old 22nd September 2022, 02:54 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Fiona is headed our way. We are almost dead center of the predicted track when it arrives in Nova Scotia on Saturday. Currently predicted to be Cat 2. Should be a wild weekend!
Hope these help:

Quote:
Traditional Hurricane Recipe
  • 2 oz. light rum
  • 2 oz. dark rum
  • 2 oz. passion fruit juice
Quote:
It's early morning the sun comes out
Last night was shaky and pretty loud
My cat is purring it scratches my skin
So, what is wrong with a night of sin?

The bitch is hungry, she needs to tell
So give her inches and feed her well
More days to come new places to go
I've got to leave it's time for the show

Here I am
Rock you like a hurricane
Here I am

My body is burning it starts to shout
Desire is coming it breaks out loud
Lust is in cages till storm breaks loose
Just have to make it with someone I choose

The night is calling, I have to go
The wolf is hungry, he runs the show
He's licking his lips, he's ready to win
On the hunt tonight for love at first sting

Here I am
(Are you ready, baby?)
Here I am
Here I am
(Come on, come on, baby)
Here I am

It's early morning the sun comes out
Last night was shaky and pretty loud
My cat is purring it scratches my skin
So, what is wrong with a night of sin?

The night is calling, I have to go
The wolf is hungry, he runs the show
He's licking his lips, he's ready to win
On the hunt tonight for love at first sting

Here I am
(Are you ready, baby?)
Here I am
Here I am
(Come on, come on, come on)
Here I am
Here I am
Old 22nd September 2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Combine the drink and the music an call the drink a Scorpion.
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Been watching the track on this one, from southern New England, which can easily be ****** up by a hurricane tracking the way Fiona is, if it were farther west. Stay safe!
Old 22nd September 2022, 05:24 PM   #5
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Batten down the hatches!
Secure the scuttles!
Splice the main brace!
Old 27th September 2022, 07:10 AM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
I hope DeathSantis stays home in the governor's mansion for this. I hope Ian destroys it.
Old 27th September 2022, 07:55 AM   #7
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
So, how did the Hurricane Fiona go? Did you manage to escape it?

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 01:21 PM   #8
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
So, how did the Hurricane Fiona go? Did you manage to escape it?

He may not be able to answer yet. Web cartoonist Jeph Jaques lives in Hallifax and his last two daily comics have had the following comments attached:

"Man, thank god for cell phone data tethering or you would not be reading this right now! That hurricane sucked ass. Who knows when I'll have power again. Shouldn't be any interruptions to comics unless things change for the worse though."

"We lost power for precisely 69 hours."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 02:16 PM   #9
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Finally back on line - cell phone only. Our family and property are all good. Just a few branches down. Many in the 'hood dod not fare so well, but little major damage and no injuries that I am aware of. Only 16 hours without power for us but many areas are still out, including some of our neoghbours. Things look quite different now. A lot more open sky due to a dearth of mature trees. Could have been worse!
Old 27th September 2022, 02:47 PM   #10
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Good news.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 06:01 PM   #11
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I hope DeathSantis stays home in the governor's mansion for this. I hope Ian destroys it.
During his recent press conference, DeSantis told Floridians that it is time to end the "Hurricane Theater." Calling hurricane preparation a "farce," the governor urged businesses to remain open and for individuals to ignore the recommendations of "so-called experts" such as the NHC and continue their lives as normal.

Last edited by jadebox; 27th September 2022 at 06:06 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 06:02 PM   #12
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

It's just like a breeze.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 06:14 PM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
During his recent press conference, DeSantis told Floridians that it is time to end the "Hurricane Theater." Calling hurricane preparation a "farce," the governor urged businesses to remain open and for individuals to ignore the recommendations of "so-called experts" such as the NHC and continue their lives as normal.
Seriously?

Didn't realize the weather was now a partisan political issue.
Old 27th September 2022, 06:15 PM   #14
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Seriously?

Remember sharpiegate? (But adjust your humour settings anyway).
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 06:38 PM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Both my brother and sister live in the area and the eye is projected to go right over them. They are about as far inland as they can be, but staying at a hotel anyway.
Old 27th September 2022, 06:45 PM   #16
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Are you sure about that?

Quote:
“It is a big storm, it is going to kick up a lot of water as it comes in,” DeSantis told a news conference in Sarasota, a coastal city of 57,000 that could be hit. “And you’re going to end up with really significant storm surge and you’re going to end up with really significant flood events. And this is the kind of storm surge that is life threatening.”

“This thing’s the real deal,” DeSantis said. “It is a major, major storm.”
Time stamp on that is prior to your post.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hurri...b0281645233b21
Old 27th September 2022, 07:56 PM   #17
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Both my brother and sister live in the area and the eye is projected to go right over them. They are about as far inland as they can be, but staying at a hotel anyway.
Our home is also right in the center of the current predicted track of Ian and we are about as far from either coast as you can get in Florida. We aren't considering evacuating. Our home is solid and if we tried to get away from the storm we'd have to go either north or south and the storm might just go the same way.

This is giving me flashbacks to Charlie back in 2004 which came in on the east coast of Florida south of Tampa then crossed over us near Orlando.

I've lived in Florida for more than 50 years and Charlie was the first time a hurricane was really scary for me. It was just barely a Category 2 storm by the time it made it to us, but for about 20 minutes, at its peak, the sound was incredible, and it was hard to imagine how the walls of our home were still standing. I remember trying to look outside through the sliding glass doors into our back yard and seeing that the doors were bowed inward due to the wind.

We were fortunate that there actually was no serious damage to our home and power was restored within a few days. Not all of our neighbors were as fortunate and the period after the storm was weird. Finding food was difficult. Store shelves were empty. Instead of asking for your order, restaurants would tell you what you could get. One bizarre thing I remember seeing was how the streets in our neighborhood looked like patchworks because of all the roofing shingles that had landed on the roads and had become embedded in the tar as people drove over them.

Five years ago, right after we moved to a more rural area near Orlando, Irma toppled some trees over in our back yard, created a lake in our front yard, and left us without power for more than two weeks.

Again, we were fortunate and didn't have any real damage to our home.

It may seem like people living in Florida are hit by hurricanes all the time, but Florida is big. When Andrew hit south Florida, I was living 500 miles away in the panhandle. In 50+ years of living in Florida no home I've lived in had suffered more than minor damage from a hurricane. I hope that stays true as Ian appears to be a bigger threat to us than Charlie.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 10:54 PM   #18
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Seriously?

I have been called humor-impaired, but even I recognized the sarcasm.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 11:24 PM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

If Biden cared about the citizens of Florida, he would have nuked the hurricane to make it go to Mexico instead.
Old 27th September 2022, 11:43 PM   #20
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Why didn't Trump say that, frankly, he beat that hurricane, just that the MSM is fake-noozing that he didn't. Lots of people came up to him and said "Sir, you really beat that hurricane!" And he did. You know he did. Like nobody has ever seen before.

Also, the FBI planted the hurricane just to make him look bad. And it was all the fault of Hillary's emails.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 04:18 AM   #21
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I see the news services are still sticking their hapless reporters out into the rain and wind….

Years ago, the edgy cartoonist “Derf” did a panel showing reporters (including Geraldo Herrera) lashed to palm trees in the midst of a hurricane.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 04:37 AM   #22
Spyke
Critical Thinker

I was right in the middle of Fiona. Just trying to get this out before data runs out.

Still no power, running a generator to keep fridge cold.no internet, most gas stations are down or out of fuel.
Trees down everywhere, school canceled for at least a week.
Roads washed out. No shower since Friday hoo boy.

I wish i could watch the news.

Search PEI Canada Fiona damage, it's like a bomb went off in our province.
Old 28th September 2022, 05:03 AM   #23
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
My thoughts are with you and others affected by Fiona. "Like a bomb went off" is not only a good description of what it looks like after a bad storm, but the way you feel for a while. I recall feeling shell-shocked after Charlie. It was surreal. I dread facing that again.

The good side is when you see how people come together to help others in a disaster. A little thing that happened after Charlie stands out to me. A coworker friend and I had gone to lunch at one of the few restaurants that was open. The owner asked how we had fared during the storm and my friend said that the electricity was still off at his house. The owner offered my friend ice, paper towels, plastic plates and silverware, "whatever you need."
Old 28th September 2022, 05:12 AM   #24
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I see the news services are still sticking their hapless reporters out into the rain and wind….
I understand that it looks dramatic and probably improves ratings, but it really is "hurricane theater" and something I wish would go away. There are plenty of existing live camera feeds and the news or weather teams could set up additional remote cameras.
Old 28th September 2022, 05:24 AM   #25
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

Years ago, the edgy cartoonist “Derf” did a panel showing reporters (including Geraldo Herrera) lashed to palm trees in the midst of a hurricane.

I saw a clip from Family Guy that showed a news broadcast that had sent their weatherman out in the middle of a storm. When they cut to him, he had to scream to be heard over the storm.

"How's the weather out there?"
"IT'S RAINING SIDEWAYS!!!"
"Where's your umbrella?"
"INSIDE OUT FIVE MILES AWAY!!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 07:23 AM   #26
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Our home is also right in the center of the current predicted track of Ian and we are about as far from either coast as you can get in Florida. We aren't considering evacuating. Our home is solid and if we tried to get away from the storm we'd have to go either north or south and the storm might just go the same way.

This is giving me flashbacks to Charlie back in 2004 which came in on the east coast of Florida south of Tampa then crossed over us near Orlando.

I've lived in Florida for more than 50 years and Charlie was the first time a hurricane was really scary for me. It was just barely a Category 2 storm by the time it made it to us, but for about 20 minutes, at its peak, the sound was incredible, and it was hard to imagine how the walls of our home were still standing. I remember trying to look outside through the sliding glass doors into our back yard and seeing that the doors were bowed inward due to the wind.

We were fortunate that there actually was no serious damage to our home and power was restored within a few days. Not all of our neighbors were as fortunate and the period after the storm was weird. Finding food was difficult. Store shelves were empty. Instead of asking for your order, restaurants would tell you what you could get. One bizarre thing I remember seeing was how the streets in our neighborhood looked like patchworks because of all the roofing shingles that had landed on the roads and had become embedded in the tar as people drove over them.

Five years ago, right after we moved to a more rural area near Orlando, Irma toppled some trees over in our back yard, created a lake in our front yard, and left us without power for more than two weeks.

Again, we were fortunate and didn't have any real damage to our home.

It may seem like people living in Florida are hit by hurricanes all the time, but Florida is big. When Andrew hit south Florida, I was living 500 miles away in the panhandle. In 50+ years of living in Florida no home I've lived in had suffered more than minor damage from a hurricane. I hope that stays true as Ian appears to be a bigger threat to us than Charlie.
Stay safe, man- from someone who went through Katrina (and a lifetime of other, lesser storms, including Camille), and understands that being on the NW quadrant of a hurricane is the worst place to be. And it looks like "NW quadrant" describes pretty much all of your area with this thing, where the storm surge is going to be bad because of that- all that water has to go somewhere.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 08:52 AM   #27
sarge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
I was right in the middle of Fiona. Just trying to get this out before data runs out.

Still no power, running a generator to keep fridge cold.no internet, most gas stations are down or out of fuel.
Trees down everywhere, school canceled for at least a week.
Roads washed out. No shower since Friday hoo boy.

I wish i could watch the news.

Damn. I just remembered I have a cousin on PEI. Should probably check in on him.
Old 28th September 2022, 09:45 AM   #28
eerok
Quixoticist

Florida has to Florida.

Company Asked Employees to Bring Family, Pets to Office to Work Through Hurricane Ian (vice.com)
Quote:
The CEO of a Florida-based company downplayed the Category 4 hurricane headed directly for the area in a meeting with employees, and even told them to bring their kids and pets to the office so they could bunker down together—and keep working.
Quote:
“Obviously you feeling safe and comfortable is of the utmost importance, but I honestly want to continue to deliver and I want to have a good end of quarter,” Gendusa added. “And when [the hurricane] turns into nothing, I don’t want it to be like, ‘Great, we all stopped producing because of the media and the maybe that it was going to be terrible.’”
Old 28th September 2022, 09:57 AM   #29
jadebox
Master Poster

One year when we were forced to take a few days off in Florida because of a hurricane, the company that I worked for at the time required us to use our vacation days. Then, a few months later, a snow storm hit the company's headquarters up north and everyone there was given an overhead number to charge.

The company I work for now has already said that they will be accommodating if we need to take time off.
Old 28th September 2022, 10:10 AM   #30
Rolfe
Adult human female

I recall at least twice being ordered to go home mid-afternoon because of high winds forecast, and that was only the tail-end of some hurricane that once had a name a couple of weeks before.

I can't understand why people in an area that has had experience of real hurricanes can be so complacent.
Old 28th September 2022, 10:20 AM   #31
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I can't understand why people in an area that has had experience of real hurricanes can be so complacent.
One word.

Florida.
Old 28th September 2022, 10:20 AM   #32
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
In a few months, when they are hugely struggling with understaffing, that CEO will say "Nobody wants to work anymore!"

More seriously, this looks like a big one. Stay safe Florida ISFers.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 10:29 AM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
someone wants more provisions for the inevitable round of cannibalism.
Old 28th September 2022, 10:38 AM   #34
Myriad

The Weather Channel has been getting a feed from a fixed camera in Fort Meyers Beach, FL (showing a street and an empty parking lot/plaza on the far side, not a beach) that's been a pretty good demonstration of what a developing storm surge on normally dry land can look like. A few hours ago it was showing a channel of water running through part of the street, with the commenters saying the usual "only six inches of water can still knock you over" (while a public trash receptacle stood firm in the middle of the flow). Then the full width of the street was flooded, and the trash bin was gone. Then larger debris like gates and benches started rushing past, and the water grew higher and faster, gauged by the post of a yellow-diamond road sign that's in the field of view. Now the waves in the surge are reaching the road sign and washing over the camera at intervals.
Old 28th September 2022, 11:28 AM   #35
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Again, so tired of seeing reporters in the middle of it saying nothing more than "It's windy! It's wet! It's dangerous! Don't come outside like we always do!" It's going to take a reporter getting killed by a downed power line or flying debris before any network thinks about not doing it any more.

I just saw one reporter react to an apparently very near lightning strike and he's like "**** you control room -- I'm outta here!"

Also, the constant remote reports where the audio or video goes out.

Last edited by alfaniner; 28th September 2022 at 11:40 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 01:57 PM   #36
Myriad

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The Weather Channel has been getting a feed from a fixed camera in Fort Meyers Beach, FL (showing a street and an empty parking lot/plaza on the far side, not a beach) that's been a pretty good demonstration of what a developing storm surge on normally dry land can look like. A few hours ago it was showing a channel of water running through part of the street, with the commenters saying the usual "only six inches of water can still knock you over" (while a public trash receptacle stood firm in the middle of the flow). Then the full width of the street was flooded, and the trash bin was gone. Then larger debris like gates and benches started rushing past, and the water grew higher and faster, gauged by the post of a yellow-diamond road sign that's in the field of view. Now the waves in the surge are reaching the road sign and washing over the camera at intervals.

Well, that camera died about an hour later, after having been almost continuously underwater for its last twenty minutes or so. It was SevereStudios' "SurgeCam 9" or just "Cam 9" and though it's no longer with us, it's well on the way to becoming an Internet legend. There's never been footage like that before. You can watch it by scrolling back (more than 3 hours, plus the elapsed time since this post) in the live feed it was part of. I'm sure the footage (or at least, the time lapse of it that TWC has been showing occasionally) will be posted elsewhere in due course.
Old 28th September 2022, 02:11 PM   #37
Rolfe
Adult human female

I just had a look at that. It's absolutely terrifying. They said that camera was six to eight feet above the pavement, and it was overtopped.
Old 28th September 2022, 03:04 PM   #38
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Ye gods.
Old 28th September 2022, 03:26 PM   #39
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
One word.

Florida.
As much as I make fun of my home state and its idiots in residence, (including myself,) the fact that is Florida actually makes a huge difference.

There’s nowhere to run.
We don’t really have anywhere far enough inland to go to, and there are only two north-south highways with the capacity for evacuation. You either drive 600 miles to safety a week before landfall or you stay put.
I live in Gainesville, about dead center between the coasts; but we’re still only a few dozen feet above sea-level at best, with springs, rivers, swamps, and creeks everywhere.
I’ve had a house flooded, my middle school flooded, a tree fall on a trailer I lived in, etc.

It’s hunker down in place or hunker down on a highway
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 03:28 PM   #40
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
As much as I make fun of my home state and its idiots in residence, (including myself,) the fact that is Florida actually makes a huge difference.

There’s nowhere to run.
We don’t really have anywhere far enough inland to go to, and there are only two north-south highways with the capacity for evacuation. You either drive 600 miles to safety a week before landfall or you stay put.
I live in Gainesville, about dead center between the coasts; but we’re still only a few dozen feet above sea-level at best, with springs, rivers, swamps, and creeks everywhere.
I’ve had a house flooded, my middle school flooded, a tree fall on a trailer I lived in, etc.

It’s hunker down in place or hunker down on a highway
Truth to that. It's like a flood in Iowa; 1 inch water raise and 60% of the state is covered

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events