IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political correctness , politically correct , woke

Old 28th September 2022, 07:58 AM   #321
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Look harder.
It's been awhile since I've seen someone unironically exhorting wokeness, but I wasn't terribly surprised that Dr. Teetus Deletus would fire off that particular flare. Intersectionality encompasses all possible axes of oppression, after all.
Old 28th September 2022, 08:00 AM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The phrase was already quoted in the post d4m10n linked to. It is 'stay woke'.
In this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/26/h...teenagers.html ?

I also can't find "woke" nor "stay woke".
Old 28th September 2022, 08:02 AM   #323
Elaedith
Master Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
It's been awhile since I've seen someone unironically exhorting wokeness, but I wasn't terribly surprised that Dr. Teetus Deletus would fire off that particular flare. Intersectionality encompasses all possible axes of oppression, after all.
An intersection with yeeting the teets is certainly implied.

Last edited by Elaedith; 28th September 2022 at 08:03 AM.
Elaedith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 08:03 AM   #324
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Found it. Dead easy, once you know it's not coming up in a word search.
Old 28th September 2022, 08:26 AM   #325
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Found it. Dead easy, once you know it's not coming up in a word search.
I'm going to guess that it was in an image? Which doesn't show up when you're dealing with paywalls?

Of course, the coy way d4m10n and Elaedeth are avoiding the answer does suggest that there may be a bit of misdirection to the claim.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 08:30 AM   #326
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

For those having trouble with the paywall: https://archive.ph/oGu15

An intersection with yeeting the teets is certainly implied.
Teets are heavily oppressive to some, massively liberating to others.

Dead easy, once you know it's not coming up in a word search.
Possibly there is weak antimemetic shielding involved.

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th September 2022 at 08:42 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 08:43 AM   #327
Elaedith
Master Poster

For those having trouble with the paywall: https://archive.ph/oGu15

Teets are heavily oppressive to some, massively liberating to others.

Possibly there is weak antimemetic involved.
I am being a bit slow today, it only just clicked that these slogans are positioned to hide where the scars would otherwise be.
Old 28th September 2022, 08:57 AM   #328
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I'm going to guess that it was in an image? Which doesn't show up when you're dealing with paywalls?

Of course, the coy way d4m10n and Elaedeth are avoiding the answer does suggest that there may be a bit of misdirection to the claim.
The coy way you neglected to mention you were trying to find it through a paywall suggests there might be a bit of misdirection to your claim of not being able to find it.

Once you find it, it's pretty clear there's no misdirection from damion and Elaedith, though.
Old 28th September 2022, 09:10 AM   #329
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

The coy way you neglected to mention you were trying to find it through a paywall suggests there might be a bit of misdirection to your claim of not being able to find it.

Once you find it, it's pretty clear there's no misdirection from damion and Elaedith, though.
I mentioned it being behind a paywall in my first post. I didn't realize that would have been confusing to you. My apologies, I won't expect better next time.

Can anyone read the rest of the slogan in the picture? I can't zoom in on d4m10n's archive link to make it out.

Last edited by wareyin; 28th September 2022 at 09:11 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 10:39 AM   #330
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

The other slogan from the original photo reads "YEET THE TEET."

(Pretty damn woke, it you ask me.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th September 2022 at 10:41 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 11:01 AM   #331
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

The other slogan from the original photo reads "YEET THE TEET."

(Pretty damn woke, it you ask me.)
I'll have to take your word for it, because I can't make that out at all.

When you say it's woke, is it the "black little mermaid" woke, the "would vote for Obama a 3rd time" woke, the "offering plant based sausages in addition to regular sausages" woke, or some other version?

eta: silly me, I should have realized that you were stacking 2 definitions. The doctor in question is using the definition offered in the 2nd paragraph of the OP, while you're using it more like the first paragraph of the OP. Never mind, carry on.

Last edited by wareyin; 28th September 2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 28th September 2022, 12:10 PM   #332
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Marketing mastectomy to kids strikes me as fairly woke in either sense.
Old 28th September 2022, 12:51 PM   #333
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Marketing mastectomy to kids strikes me as fairly woke in either sense.
As much as I love seeing you guys import the trans talk into every single other conversation, yes. On the one hand we have a Dr. who is trying to be welcoming to trans people (2nd paragraph woke) while on the other hand we have the right wing slur against anyone who doesn't hate "the other" enough.
Old 28th September 2022, 01:24 PM   #334
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I love seeing you guys import the trans talk into every single other conversation, yes.
Don't blame the messenger; you can thank Dr. Teetus Deletus for helping us understand that elective mastectomy is now part of wokeness.

ETA: To the extent that "wokeness" relies on intersectionality, no one should be surpised or upset when all the various axes of oppression come up in a thread about being woke.

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th September 2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 28th September 2022, 07:30 PM   #335
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Empathy and decency is one thing, but being supposed to no longer say "girlfriend" or "wife" or "mom" about your own is a whole new level of stupid.
That's not what's being asked for. As usual, someone has taken a general set of guidelines and tried to apply them to a specific situation.

Look, I have specified my pronouns, right there under my avatar. You do not need to use they/them when referring to me, specifically. But if you are speaking about the general public, groups not individuals, then I think you ought to be inclusive. This is why they remove "ladies and gentlemen" from train station announcements. Because announcements are public and are referring to everybody, not a specific named individual. When referring to an individual, you do the very first thing on the slide - you ask if you're not sure, and you respect their wishes.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 02:01 AM   #336
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
According to Damon Young at the WaPo, "woke" is now a dog-whistle for Black. Which is hilarious, because to me it's patently obvious that White liberals are actually the standard-bearers of the successor ideology.
As I have pointed out several times in this thread already, the word "woke" stopped applying to any specific ideology long ago; it is now used instead as an indiscriminate shorthand for various unrelated things conservatives don't like.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 05:44 AM   #337
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Don't blame the messenger; you can thank Dr. Teetus Deletus for helping us understand that elective mastectomy is now part of wokeness.

ETA: To the extent that "wokeness" relies on intersectionality, no one should be surpised or upset when all the various axes of oppression come up in a thread about being woke.
The Dr. isn't posting in this thread. The Dr. certainly isn't linking to their own posts in that other thread and thus demonstrating full knowledge that their opinions on trans people belongs in the trans thread and not here, there, and everywhere else on the forum.
Old 29th September 2022, 05:56 AM   #338
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
As I have pointed out several times in this thread already, the word "woke" stopped applying to any specific ideology long ago; it is now used instead as an indiscriminate shorthand for various unrelated things conservatives don't like.
That's one definition of it for sure however if ideas like authors shouldn't write outside their race/religion/sexual orientation/gender identity is a conservative value then...we have a hella lot of conservatives out there.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 08:06 AM   #339
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Is this where we're headed

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 10:58 AM   #340
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

The Dr. certainly isn't linking to their own posts in that other thread and thus demonstrating full knowledge that their opinions on trans people belongs in the trans thread and not here, there, and everywhere else on the forum.
I don't recall posting any opinions on trans people here; possibly you've confused me with someone else.

I think it is really weird that people keep handing conservatives words and phrases which they used to openly use, forcing them to come up with new words to describe the same phenomena. "Woke" and "cancel culture" come to mind here—since they both originated from AAVE—but there are plenty of others as well.

Last edited by d4m10n; 29th September 2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 29th September 2022, 11:25 AM   #341
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That doesn't explain why this trans-affirming plastic surgeon has the slogan displayed in her office.
Old 29th September 2022, 11:25 AM   #342
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't recall posting any opinions on trans people here; possibly you've confused me with someone else.

I think it is really weird that people keep handing conservatives words and phrases which they used to openly use, forcing them to come up with new words to describe the same phenomena. "Woke" and "cancel culture" come to mind here—since they both originated from AAVE—but there are plenty of others as well.
"Social justice warrior."
Old 29th September 2022, 11:33 AM   #343
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

What you famously can't recall isn't the issue here. Your attempted shoehorning of your trans people discussion into this discussion is. Remember (well, go back and read if you can't remember) that even you admitted to being the "messenger" bringing an article on trans people's surgical rights into a discussion on "woke".
Old 29th September 2022, 11:43 AM   #344
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Your attempted shoehorning of your trans people discussion into this discussion is.
I'll leave it to other posters whether a sighting of "stay woke" in a recent publication is on topic or not. If you really find it objectionable, feel free to report it.

That doesn't explain why this trans-affirming plastic surgeon has the slogan displayed in her office.
Maybe she is yeeting the teets just to trigger the anti-woke.

Last edited by d4m10n; 29th September 2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 29th September 2022, 11:50 AM   #345
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

I'll leave it to other posters whether a sighting of "stay woke" in a recent publication is on topic or not. If you really find it objectionable, feel free to report it.

Maybe she is yeeting the teets just to trigger the anti-woke.
As a reminder, you didn't even link to the article you're pretending was relevant. You linked to the trans thread instead.
Old 29th September 2022, 12:26 PM   #346
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

As a reminder, you didn't even link to the article you're pretending was relevant.
And yet somehow people found the article and the exhortation to "stay woke" therein.

Seems obviously relevant to how people use the term these days, at least to me.
Old 29th September 2022, 12:47 PM   #347
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

And yet somehow people found the article and the exhortation to "stay woke" therein.

Seems obviously relevant to how people use the term these days, at least to me.
That's why it was buried as a picture of handwritten text on a drawing that is almost illegible, rather than anything in the article? And nobody was able to quote it or link directly to it? Yes, this clearly demonstrates both how relevant you personally thought it was as well as how relevant the author of the article who never mentioned it thought it was.
Old 29th September 2022, 02:00 PM   #348
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

And nobody was able to quote it or link directly to it?
I linked directly to it here.

If you really want to be mad that I'm pointing out how "woke" and "stay woke" are used in contemporary English, that's fine. I'm going to keep doing it, regardless, because doing so strikes me as illustrative and topical.

Last edited by d4m10n; 29th September 2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 29th September 2022, 06:54 PM   #349
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't think anyone's handing conservatives these words. I think conservatives are taking them without permission.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 07:40 PM   #350
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Every time a poster says that a word or phrase must be taken to mean precisely what conservatives say it does (e.g. #336) they are handing over that word or phrase to them.

Last edited by d4m10n; 29th September 2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 29th September 2022, 07:48 PM   #351
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Every time a poster says that a word or phrase must be taken to mean precisely what conservatives say it does (e.g. #336) they are handing over that word or phrase to them.
#336 is an observation that the word has already been taken by the conservatives. It in no way constitutes handing it to them.
Old 29th September 2022, 07:52 PM   #352
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
#336 is an observation that the word has already been taken by the conservatives. It in no way constitutes handing it to them.
He asserted it as a fact. If he is wrong then he is contributing to turning it over to them.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 07:54 PM   #353
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
He asserted it as a fact. If he is wrong then he is contributing to turning it over to them.
It is a fact.
Old 29th September 2022, 07:58 PM   #354
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It is a fact.
Prove it.

I am woke. That proves you and Checkmite wrong.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 08:11 PM   #355
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Prove it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Quote:
By 2020, parts of the political center and right wing in several Western countries were using the term woke, often in an ironic way, as an insult for various progressive or leftist movements and ideologies perceived as overzealous, performative, or insincere. In turn, some commentators came to consider it an offensive term with negative associations to those who promote political ideas involving identity and race.
Old 29th September 2022, 08:15 PM   #356
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

"some" is not "all".
Old 29th September 2022, 08:35 PM   #357
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Checkmite never said "all".
Old 29th September 2022, 11:43 PM   #358
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

In cases where the word is used by conservatives as a criticism, then of course it must be taken to mean "precisely what conservatives say it does" because that's how words work. When conservatives use it, is is intended to be a critical pejorative. It doesn't matter that someone else in a different, non-critical statement about some other thing might use the word to mean something different.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 03:44 AM   #359
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
She almost gets it: “… Maybe these people just use "partner" as the default in all their conversations, even with straight people….” But then misses it “… It’s unlikely, but it probably happens…”
I do. Unless I actually know they're married. Many, if not most, of my acquaintances are unmarried but in relationships.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 03:47 AM   #360
catsmate
No longer the 1

Did you read your link? Because your description seems to miss his point so badly that it is even more hilarious than your white liberals claim.
I doubt it. More likely random Google result when trying to find something to support his argument.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events