IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Closed Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 02:08 PM   #2321
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Okay, this is just plain bizarre. From CBS, via MSN:
Johns Hopkins doctor and Army doctor spouse charged with conspiring to give U.S. soldiers' medical info to Russia

The Justice Department on Thursday accused an Army doctor and a Johns Hopkins anesthesiologist of conspiring to provide the Russian government with medical information about U.S. soldiers and their relatives.

The indictment names Jamie Lee Henry, an Army major at Fort Bragg who had a secret security clearance, and Henry’s spouse, Anna Gabrielian, a Russian-speaker who is affiliated with Johns Hopkins, according to a Hopkins webpage.

They are charged with offering sensitive information to an undercover FBI agent who was posing as a representative of the Russian Embassy. . . .

During an Aug. 17 meeting in a Baltimore hotel room, Gabrielian told the undercover FBI agent “she was motivated by patriotism toward Russia to provide any assistance she could to Russia, even if it meant being fired or going to jail,” the indictment alleges. . . .

Later on Aug. 17, Gabrielian and Henry met with the undercover agent, the indictment says. According to the indictment, Henry described a commitment to assisting Russia and had looked into volunteering to join the Russian army after the conflict in Ukraine began, but Russia wanted people with combat experience and Henry did not have any. The indictment says Henry added, “the way I am viewing what is going on in Ukraine now, is that the United States is using Ukrainians as a proxy for their own hatred toward Russia.”
This and other news articles mention that Henry is the first openly transgender US Army officer. Whether this has any bearing on the case remains to be seen.
I'm wondering how that information could possibly be of any use to Russia Like... propaganda, General so-and-so had a nasty bout of the Clap in 1992 while stationed in Germany.

ETA: I'm not insinuating that they shouldn't be punished. Just the HIPAA violation should carry a pretty strong sentence.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 02:22 PM   #2322
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

At least one article mentioned five years for conspiracy, and ten years for each HIPAA violation, so potentially 55 years. I'm sure they'll get much less than that, though.

Last edited by SpitfireIX; 29th September 2022 at 02:38 PM. Reason: tpyo
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 02:23 PM   #2323
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

...Gabrielian told the undercover FBI agent “she was motivated by patriotism toward Russia to provide any assistance she could to Russia, even if it meant being fired or going to jail,” the indictment alleges.
I suspect she just scored a twofer.
Old 29th September 2022, 02:32 PM   #2324
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

At least one article mentioned five years for conspiracy, and ten years for each HIPPA violation, so potentially 55 years. I'm sure they'll get much less than that, though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/botwatch/co...tm_name=iossmf

Originally Posted by HIPAAbot
It’s HIPAA!
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 02:37 PM   #2325
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

It has been claimed that the goal of the Russian invasion of Ukraine is a genocide: To elimiate the Ukrainian people.

That is not quite right. It is only a partial truth - and a small part of the truth.

Russia has in fact decided on multiple genocides. Putin and his ruscist enablers and arselickers intend to genocide as many non-Russian ethnicities within the Ruscist Federation as they can get. The ongoing "mobilization" is the means and tool to this: To deplete the non-Ruscist regions of men in their 20s and 30s - the age at which they would normally found families and procreate.

Putin and the Ruscists (yes, I am looking at CE, too) hope that most of these unwanted "races" suffer inordinate numbers of casualties when sent to Ukraine as cannon fodder in a war Putin and CE know perfectly well is lost already.
Old 29th September 2022, 02:37 PM   #2326
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Sorry. I knew that; it was a typo.
Old 29th September 2022, 02:42 PM   #2327
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Video obtained by CNN shows Ukrainian forces closing in on pro-Russian forces in a pocket of Donetsk
Video and images obtained by CNN show Ukrainian forces in control of rural areas of Donetsk around the contested town of Lyman, which is still held by a variety of pro-Russian militia.

Ukrainian tanks are seen advancing in the area amid the ruins of heavily damaged villages. The roads are littered with what appear to have been hastily abandoned Russian dugouts, with rockets and ammunition left behind. There's also evidence of Russian and militia tanks and military vehicles destroyed or damaged. . . .

In several of the videos, a loudspeaker announcement can be heard, which CNN has translated as saying:
"The Ukrainian Armed Forces have captured Lyman; further resistance is pointless. Tomorrow, the cleanup will begin, you will have no chance of surviving. Today you have a chance to surrender. The Ukrainian side guarantees your life and treatment in accordance with the Geneva Convention. In order to surrender, you need to go out on the road or in a populated area, lay down your arms. With your hands up, wait for the representatives of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Remember, your authorities do not need you, you are cannon fodder for them. Your relatives need you."
Old 29th September 2022, 02:50 PM   #2328
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
It has been claimed that the goal of the Russian invasion of Ukraine is a genocide: To elimiate the Ukrainian people.

That is not quite right. It is only a partial truth - and a small part of the truth.

Russia has in fact decided on multiple genocides. Putin and his ruscist enablers and arselickers intend to genocide as many non-Russian ethnicities within the Ruscist Federation as they can get. The ongoing "mobilization" is the means and tool to this: To deplete the non-Ruscist regions of men in their 20s and 30s - the age at which they would normally found families and procreate.

Putin and the Ruscists (yes, I am looking at CE, too) hope that most of these unwanted "races" suffer inordinate numbers of casualties when sent to Ukraine as cannon fodder in a war Putin and CE know perfectly well is lost already.
This probably sounds crass, but I really hope you are right. The only other logical reason for sending hundreds of thousands of poorly led, trained, and equipped troops to Ukraine to get slaughtered, is for it be an excuse to go nuclear. I cannot think of another logical explanation other than "Russia Logic" just isn't.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 03:06 PM   #2329
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I'm wondering how that information could possibly be of any use to Russia Like... propaganda, General so-and-so had a nasty bout of the Clap in 1992 while stationed in Germany.
What I'm wondering is how the FBI managed to insert itself between the woman and the Russian embassy.
Old 29th September 2022, 03:41 PM   #2330
Doubt
Philosopher

It could just be background information. Helps in figuring out who is likely to get some assignments and what type of decisions they are likely to make. The intel value is probably pretty weak overall. It might also have been represented that it was intended to develop them as sources where they would be looking for better value information later.

Given the amount of effort the FBI went through to bust them I am wondering if there is more to the case then is public right now. Seems like a lot of work for a case where not much damage is being done.
Old 29th September 2022, 03:43 PM   #2331
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
But do they, really ?

Over 50% of the Russian economy is driven by the extraction of raw materials, whether they're petrochemicals or precious metals or whatever.

Another big chunk will be the manufacturing and logistics relating to the war.

OTOH a manager and his team from an IT company, unless they're critical to the previous two parts are a "nice to have" in the Russian economy as it stands. The very long term future of the Russian economy may depend on a thriving high-tech information technology sector but right now, not so much IMO.
There is a bit IT component to the petrochemical industry. All the geology needs to be mapped out in massive databases so they know where to drill.
Old 29th September 2022, 03:47 PM   #2332
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Duplicate.

Last edited by SpitfireIX; 29th September 2022 at 03:52 PM.
SpitfireIX is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 03:52 PM   #2333
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
It could just be background information. Helps in figuring out who is likely to get some assignments and what type of decisions they are likely to make. The intel value is probably pretty weak overall. It might also have been represented that it was intended to develop them as sources where they would be looking for better value information later.

At least one of the articles mentioned that Henry had a "secret" security clearance.

Given the amount of effort the FBI went through to bust them I am wondering if there is more to the case then is public right now. Seems like a lot of work for a case where not much damage is being done.

Yeah, there's a lot about this case that doesn't seem to add up. For example, Henry claimed that the Russian Army didn't want him because he lacked combat experience. Why would anyone care whether a doctor had combat experience? Also, were the couple not aware of Putin's extreme anti-transgender rhetoric, or did they just not care?
Old 29th September 2022, 03:58 PM   #2334
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Secret is the lowest level of security clearance. They hand it out to pretty much anyone who qualifies for the job role and isn't an obvious jackass.

I will not comment here about the implied correlation between trans identity and delusional worldview.
Old 29th September 2022, 04:05 PM   #2335
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Secret is the lowest level of security clearance. They hand it out to pretty much anyone who qualifies for the job role and isn't an obvious jackass.

I will not comment here about the implied correlation between trans identity and delusional worldview.
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...ol1-sec9-5.xml

Confidential is lowest.

Although I used to get documents from a government agency marked "sensitive", maybe thats obsolete?

Last edited by lobosrul5; 29th September 2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 29th September 2022, 04:14 PM   #2336
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

It's the middle level (Level II) Level I is called Confidential IIRC. Top Secret (or Cosmic Top Secret for NATO LOL) is Level III but as discussed earlier there are sub-types of Top Secret that effectively are higher still.
Old 29th September 2022, 04:14 PM   #2337
Doubt
Philosopher

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...ol1-sec9-5.xml

Confidential is lowest.

Although I used to get documents from a government agency marked "sensitive", maybe thats obsolete?
There is a difference between classification level and clearance level. Minimum clearance level is secret. I had a secret clearance that was of little use. Only ever actually used for getting confidential folders out of a security vault and return them again.
Old 29th September 2022, 05:35 PM   #2338
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

There is a difference between classification level and clearance level. Minimum clearance level is secret. I had a secret clearance that was of little use. Only ever actually used for getting confidential folders out of a security vault and return them again.

No, "Confidential" is a security clearance. But it's different from higher levels inasmuch as individual agencies are authorized to issue Confidential clearances after their own vetting processes, without the need for any investigation by the Defense Investigative Service. See here.

If you think about it, that's really the way it has to be, because what would be the point of classifying anything "Confidential" if anyone could access it?
Old 29th September 2022, 05:46 PM   #2339
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

See above.

Implied by whom? I mentioned Henry's transgender status because all three of the news articles I read, from both liberal and conservative outlets, mentioned it, plus it conceivably could be relevant (if, for instance, Henry decided to betray the US Army because he feels he's been discriminated against). Also, I'm frankly very curious about why a transgender person would want to help Putin. Finally, choosing to betray one's country does not necessarily indicate a "delusional worldview."
Old 29th September 2022, 05:49 PM   #2340
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The latest instalment of this excellent visual strategic overview of the war, covering the first half of September and the Ukrainian counteroffensive (which never happened):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 06:06 PM   #2341
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

From Barron's:
US Senate Approves $12 Billion In New Aid For Ukraine

The US Senate approved $12 billion in new economic and military aid for Ukraine Thursday as part of a stopgap extension of the federal budget into December.

The measure, agreed by senators of both parties, includes $3 billion for arms, supplies and salaries for Ukraine's military, and authorizes President Joe Biden to direct the US Defense Department to take $3.7 billion worth of its own weapons and materiel and send them to Ukraine.

It also provides $4.5 billion for Kyiv to keep the country's finances stable and keep the government running, providing services to the Ukrainian people.
This measure will undoubtedly be approved by the House of Representatives tomorrow, and signed by Biden before the end of the day, in order to avert a US Government shutdown.
Old 29th September 2022, 06:08 PM   #2342
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The latest instalment of this excellent visual strategic overview of the war, covering the first half of September and the Ukrainian counteroffensive (which never happened):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That's not fair, the Russian withdrawal from the areas captured by Ukraine in the counteroffensive were just a masterful feint to allow Russia the ability to advance towards the vitally important city of Bakhmut.

If they can hit that bullseye the dominoes that make up the Ukrainian lines will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Old 29th September 2022, 06:21 PM   #2343
Doubt
Philosopher

No, "Confidential" is a security clearance. But it's different from higher levels inasmuch as individual agencies are authorized to issue Confidential clearances after their own vetting processes, without the need for any investigation by the Defense Investigative Service. See here.

If you think about it, that's really the way it has to be, because what would be the point of classifying anything "Confidential" if anyone could access it?
I sit corrected. However Confidential would not mean anybody could access it. It is a reference as to what can be done with the documents.
Old 29th September 2022, 06:37 PM   #2344
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
There is a bit IT component to the petrochemical industry. All the geology needs to be mapped out in massive databases so they know where to drill.
Russia already had to hire American oil companies to keep Russia's existing extraction capacity working, and to expand it.

I think people really underestimate how vital human talent is to a nation. Maximizing the creation, utilization, and attraction of top talent is far and away the most important resource any country can have. Having the best and brightest either languishing unable to capitalize on those talents or worse leaving to enrich competitors, is really the entire game mid to long term.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 06:49 PM   #2345
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

You're not wrong, but this is an incredibly stupid policy. Russia is already facing a demographic collapse; they're going to need every young person they can get.
Old 29th September 2022, 09:06 PM   #2346
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Putin apologises for call up mistake for people with no military experience. If anyone thinks there is a mistake all they have to do is tell the recruitment people and it will be sorted out.

a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 10:25 PM   #2347
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Hence the 'unless they're critical to the other two parts" bit in my comment.

Most will not be and will be in some part of the service sector.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 12:48 AM   #2348
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
If they can hit that bullseye the dominoes that make up the Ukrainian lines will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I'm sure a bunch of us heard that in the appropriate voice.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 01:04 AM   #2349
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

You're not wrong, but this is an incredibly stupid policy. Russia is already facing a demographic collapse; they're going to need every young person they can get.
We are dealing with hardcore fascists. Racial purity first! Kill off the brownies and those with funny eyes! Slava Rossiya!
Old 30th September 2022, 01:08 AM   #2350
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Eva Bartlett summarizes her experiences during the referendums in an interview on RT:

I AGREE

Slava Novorussia!
https://liveuamap.com/

Ukraine shows it's experience with the referendum by taking back two more villages as they encircle the "annexed" city of Lyman.
Old 30th September 2022, 02:32 AM   #2351
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Surely that is crazy, with about 137 different ethnicities in Russia alone...?

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 02:41 AM   #2352
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Or 193 depending on source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Russia

That said 192 of them account for less than 20% of the Russian population and many, many number only a few thousand or even a few hundred.

OTOH the Russians do seem to be having a jolly good go at exterminating some of the more numerous (those with over a million members) by getting them to serve in Ukraine and/or cleansing them:

- Tartars
- Ukrainians
- Bashkir
- Chuvashs
- Chechens
- Armenians
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 02:57 AM   #2353
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Russian war crimes continue:

Quote:
At least 23 people have been killed and dozens more injured in a Russian rocket strike on a humanitarian convoy in south Ukraine, local officials say.

A huge crater next to a row of vehicles in the city of Zaporizhzhia testifies to the violence of the attack. Windows and windscreens have been smashed in.

The BBC saw half a dozen bodies lying at the scene, apparently civilians. Baggage and coats strewed the tarmac.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63086697

Unsurprisingly, the Russians claim that the Ukrainians were to blame.

Quote:
Meanwhile, a Russian-installed local official blamed Ukraine for the attack.
Old 30th September 2022, 03:58 AM   #2354
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Patience, Padawan. All in due course.
Old 30th September 2022, 05:26 AM   #2355
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As expected, Putin has claimed four new Russian provinces.

There was some doubt whether he was claiming all of the four oblasts or just the occupied portions.
Old 30th September 2022, 05:42 AM   #2356
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

All this does is make every square inch of retaken territory that much sweeter.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 05:44 AM   #2357
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As expected, Putin has claimed four new Russian provinces.

There was some doubt whether he was claiming all of the four oblasts or just the occupied portions.
What wonderful additions to the Russian federation: areas that are economically worthless, with no prospect of development, populated with a shellshocked population that has suffered through Russian banditry and lawlessness for years.

It only cost countless billions of dollars and more than hundred thousand Russian casualties, and that's just the areas they actually control! If they are going to "liberate" all of the territory they've claimed it's going to cost a lot more.

A good deal according to Putin.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 30th September 2022 at 05:46 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 05:54 AM   #2358
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
areas that are economically worthless

Only around 80% of former Ukraine's industrial capacity. The Ukrainian flag got even more appropriate today. Yellow sunflower fields under a blue sky.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 06:01 AM   #2359
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

Only around 80% of former Ukraine's industrial capacity. The Ukrainian flag got even more appropriate today. Yellow sunflower fields under a blue sky.
Is it though, and how important is it to Ukraine as whole ?

How much of that capacity remains after Russia's tender care ?

It seems that perhaps 80% is a bit of an overestimate:

Quote:
The short answer to the first question, based on data from the State Statistics Service of Ukraine, is that prior to the conflict there the Donbas could indeed have been described as an industrial heartland, but not exactly a breadbasket. In 2013—the last full year before Russia’s de-facto separation of parts of these two regions from Ukraine—Donetsk and Luhansk:

- Jointly accounted for a quarter of Ukraine’s industrial production;
https://www.russiamatters.org/blog/d...basket-or-both
Old 30th September 2022, 06:24 AM   #2360
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One thing's for sure: It'll get rebuilt a lot faster and a lot better under Ukrainian rule than Russian.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics