IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags DeSantis , electioneering , florida , immigration

Old 16th September 2022, 10:38 AM   #1
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

DeSantis Martha's Vineyard Stunt

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rthas-vineyard

I couldn't see a thread on this

Quote:
Florida’s Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, created an “urgent humanitarian situation” in Massachusetts, authorities said, by deporting about 50 undocumented migrants to Martha’s Vineyard with no apparent notice.

Two planes carrying mostly Venezuelan and Colombian adults and children landed on the island on Wednesday afternoon, as part of what DeSantis’s office said was “a relocation program to transport illegal immigrants to sanctuary destinations”.
it's actually worse than that - watch the embedded video

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status...YI9lY3wsehF_Hw

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 10:51 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You misspelled "kidnapping people."

(Trolls with the same "No you see this is a perfectly good thing to do" hot take form one orderly line and Trolls with the same "I'm going to argue that this is a perfectly good thing to do but don't you dare suggest I agree with it" form another please)
Old 16th September 2022, 10:52 AM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Transporting illegals across state lines is a felony. Just sayin'....
Old 16th September 2022, 10:52 AM   #4
Warp12
King of Kings

Edit...not illegals, asylum seekers.

Last edited by Warp12; 16th September 2022 at 11:30 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 10:55 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I would very much like to know who did the actual transport - I expect that DeSantis was paying a donor back.
Old 16th September 2022, 10:57 AM   #6
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The people were told they were going to Boston and that job visas or the like would be expedited and housing would be available.

Martha’s Vineyard wasn’t expecting these families, but stepped up to help despite DeSabtus’ million dollar “this will show the libs!” stunt.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 10:58 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans will pay any amount of taxes as long as they are used to "trigger the Libs".
Old 16th September 2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Republicans will pay any amount of taxes as long as they are used to "trigger the Libs".
So much for the party of fiscal responsibility and small government.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:06 AM   #9
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I would very much like to know who did the actual transport - I expect that DeSantis was paying a donor back.
Funny you should say that...

https://twitter.com/CharlieCrist/sta...94372517732353

tw;dr a Florida shell company was paid more than $600k for it.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:07 AM   #10
sackett
Philosopher

InSantis is trying to be Huey Long.

His style is, in the main, way different, more outright Mussolini or Perón. Like all such political mobsters, he'll eventually overreach himself and have to lie down with the fishes.

Metaphorically speaking, I mean! Gosh, I wouldn't DREAM of wishing any REAL harm to Mr. Kingfish, I mean Mr. BeScantis.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:16 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Meanwhile instead of using living, breathing human beings as a pawn to get back at the Conservatives, the actually decent people of Martha's Vineyard are rushing to help the refugees.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/16/us/ma...nts/index.html
Old 16th September 2022, 11:17 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Transporting illegals across state lines is a felony. Just sayin'....
DeSantis doesn't care. He's knows nobody will actually stop him.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:17 AM   #13
Armitage72
Philosopher

Also, he apparently couldn't find enough people in his own state, so he had to take them from Texas.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:18 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Also, he apparently couldn't find enough people in his own state, so he had to take them from Texas.
Abbott taught him this trick, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a joint operation.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:19 AM   #15
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

(Trolls with the same "No you see this is a perfectly good thing to do" hot take form one orderly line and Trolls with the same "I'm going to argue that this is a perfectly good thing to do but don't you dare suggest I agree with it" form another please)
I'm at a loss to figure out how this isn't kidnapping.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:21 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Because nothing is anything until somebody stops them. I keep saying this.

I'm sure certain members of the board will explain to us how it isn't kidnapping, but that will have to wait until THEY get told what the excuse is.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:27 AM   #17
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
DeSantis doesn't care. He's knows nobody will actually stop him.
Of course, straight from the GQP playbook: "We do whatever we damn well please! Try and stop us!"

Meanwhile, the idiot base is laughing about this and approves. DeathSantis could have put these people on a helicopter, and dumped them in the ocean to drown, and millions would cheer.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:27 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also these are not illegal immigrants, that is a lie and anyone who says they are is a liar.

They are legal asylum seekers.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:28 AM   #19
Warp12
King of Kings

So, how is it that DHS was involved?
Old 16th September 2022, 11:28 AM   #20
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I've read a report somewhere that the people signed documents stating that this was all ok. Ignore that they were lied to, and potentially didn't understand what they were signing.

Old 16th September 2022, 11:29 AM   #21
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
It is. It's also illegal transport of immigrants across state lines. Who's going to arrest and charge him though? Certainly not the Republiscum, and Democrats don't have the balls to do what's legal and right. Both DeathSantis and Abbottoir should be in jail right now.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:29 AM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings

Also these are not illegal immigrants, that is a lie and anyone who says they are is a liar.

They are legal asylum seekers.

Ok, well that is different then.

Last edited by Warp12; 16th September 2022 at 11:31 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:30 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Ok, well, that is different then.
Don't worry you find another reason to hate them and think this is okay soon, I have faith in you.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:32 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You guys are lucky I have to live with DeSantis. I'm sure he'll be bragging about this on his next campaign ad.

His current one is just going "I'm awesome because I kept schools and business open during the pandemic so more people died but hey you didn't miss a haircut."
Old 16th September 2022, 11:32 AM   #25
Warp12
King of Kings

Don't worry you find another reason to hate them and think this is okay soon, I have faith in you.

I still don't get why DHS was falsifying their addresses?? I mean that is a federal agency.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:33 AM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

For a minute I wasn't sure if they were illegals. I had went straight to the Twitter vid, and listened to that hag screech.

Anyway, who cares. They shouldn't even be in the country. Send them all to sanctuary cities, imo. Let them enjoy the fruits of their policies.
Ah, yes...the "compassionate conservative" we used to hear so much about is on full display here yet again. Being 'ok' with children who were victims of rape and/or incest being forced to give birth and letting homeless people die prematurely through lack of medical care is so 'compassionate'.

They aren't necessarily 'illegal', either, as many are asylum seekers with permission to be in the US until their case is decided.

First 'split tails' and now 'that hag'. What pejorative name are you going to use next to refer to women?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:35 AM   #27
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah, yes...the "compassionate conservative" we used to hear so much about is on full display here yet again. Being 'ok' with children who were victims of rape and/or incest being forced to give birth and letting homeless people die prematurely through lack of medical care is so 'compassionate'.

They aren't necessarily 'illegal', either, as many are asylum seekers with permission to be in the US until their case is decided.

First 'split tails' and now 'that hag'. What pejorative name are you going to use next to refer to women?

You missed the edit, Stacy. They are asylum seekers. That changes my opinion of what is acceptable. But yeah, the woman was just screeching like Jane Curtin on the old SNL.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:36 AM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You missed the edit, Stacy. They are asylum seekers. That changes my opinion of what is acceptable.
Wait for it...
Old 16th September 2022, 11:39 AM   #29
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You missed the edit, Stacy. They are asylum seekers. That changes my opinion of what is acceptable. But yeah, the woman was just screeching like Jane Curtin on the old SNL.
Uh-huh. Sure it changes your opinion. Pull the other one, Warp.

Hey, look! You actually referred to her as a 'woman' and not a 'hag'. It went right past you that it isn't the 'screech' part that is offensive but your misogyny on full display once again.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:43 AM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wonder how Texas or Florida would like it if another state sent a bunch of busses in right before Harvest season to collect all the underground, off the grid slave workers their economies depend on.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:44 AM   #31
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

In retaliation the nation should take de Santis and deport him to Kerguelen.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:51 AM   #32
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
InSantis is trying to be Huey Long.

His style is, in the main, way different, more outright Mussolini or Perón. Like all such political mobsters, he'll eventually overreach himself and have to lie down with the fishes.

Metaphorically speaking, I mean! Gosh, I wouldn't DREAM of wishing any REAL harm to Mr. Kingfish, I mean Mr. BeScantis.
At least Huey Long worked for the people of the USA. de Santis works for the people of the Kremlin.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:53 AM   #33
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Going by the few snippets I've read, the people that were conned into getting on the flights seem to have been complying with authorities with regards to their immigration status. Does this mean they were in fact legal migrants?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 11:58 AM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Several lawyers are looking into the good possibility that what DeSantis did is illegal itself.

It's a sickening display of a childish, petty, and vengeful political stunt taken straight from a Trump playbook.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:13 PM   #35
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Going by the few snippets I've read, the people that were conned into getting on the flights seem to have been complying with authorities with regards to their immigration status. Does this mean they were in fact legal migrants?
Yes. They were legal asylum seekers who had already had that status confirmed in court.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:13 PM   #36
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I've read a report somewhere that the people signed documents stating that this was all ok. Ignore that they were lied to, and potentially didn't understand what they were signing.
Glenn Kirshner said it is "kidnapping by inveiglement".

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:14 PM   #37
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Several lawyers are looking into the good possibility that what DeSantis did is illegal itself.

It's a sickening display of a childish, petty, and vengeful political stunt taken straight from a Trump playbook.
Because DeSantis wants to be the next Trump so bad he can't stand it.

And I gotta tell you the only thing worse than Trump is someone doing a bad imitation of it.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:14 PM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...

Reading Popehat today, he doesn't seem to think there is anything criminal about it. I can't speak to the details because IANAL, but I trust Popehat entirely.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. If they find anything it'll be nothing more than a little fine.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 12:35 PM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is all about DeSantis' plan for a 2024 or 2028 presidential run. He wants Trump's mantle and to inherit his base. The more Trumpian and the more media attention, the better.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:45 PM   #40
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I've sometimes seen it spelled "human trafficking".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics