ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:54 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

9/11:Inside Air Force One

ANybody else watch this on the History Channel?

I found it fascinating. what it captured was the total chaos and fear of that day,which went from the man on the street in New York City to Air Force One.
Some things are still unexplained:The "Angel Is Next" message and why it took 90 Minutes to get Fighter protection to Air Force One.
Well worth watching, though.
BTW please avoid Conspiracy Crap in this thread. We have a Forum for that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Axxman300
Illuminator

I'm getting the book the show is based upon.

Much of it has been known since 2001 but the information is presented clearly in this documentary. And it is told first hand by almost everyone involved: Bush, Cheney, Card, and so on. I like how they parse the decision to shoot down civilian aircraft. It's clear that Cheney made the call with Bush backing him up later, not that it should be a big deal considering the events of that day. And then how the air gets sucked out of the room when they learn UA93 went down and for a few minutes everyone has to consider the reality that they just shot down a plane load of Americans until they learn that there was no interception.

I think the documentary is a solid effort worth the time to watch.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:58 AM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I'm getting the book the show is based upon.

Much of it has been known since 2001 but the information is presented clearly in this documentary. And it is told first hand by almost everyone involved: Bush, Cheney, Card, and so on. I like how they parse the decision to shoot down civilian aircraft. It's clear that Cheney made the call with Bush backing him up later, not that it should be a big deal considering the events of that day. And then how the air gets sucked out of the room when they learn UA93 went down and for a few minutes everyone has to consider the reality that they just shot down a plane load of Americans until they learn that there was no interception.

I think the documentary is a solid effort worth the time to watch.
There is an odd but legitimate issue with Cheney ordering the shoot-down; the VP was not officially in the chain of command for defense, but Rumsfeld, who was in that chain, was assisting in the rescue operations at the Pentagon and unavailable.

It is an open question as to who had the authority to order a shootdown of a US commercial airliner. I don't think there's any doubt that Cheney overstepped the bounds of his authority, and that he was acting reasonably and prudently when he did so.

Last edited by Brainster; 16th September 2019 at 01:01 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:06 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's something of a non issue since the order was a no brainer in that situation.
Of course it was a horrible order to have to give,but there was really no alternative.
And some of the fighters launched had little ammunition and apparently would have had to have rammed flight 93 to bring it down...……

I think what the show captured very well was just the sheer terror of the first couple of hours , where anything seemed possible.
I also was not aware of just how out of touch Air Force One was. The White House Chief of Staff on the show said the average TV viewer on the ground knew a lot more about what was going on then the people on Air Force One.. I assumed that AF1 had the capability to pick up Satellite Broadcasts,but apparently not. I did not know It was not until they reached Offut in Nebraska hat the President had a chance to see the actual footage of the attacks.
I just bought "Only Plane In The Sky" on Kindle.
My favorite documentary on 9/11 remains the Nadel documentary...the one by the French filmmakers who were doing a feature on the first six months of a rookie FDNY fireman and the fire station he was stationed in, and it happened to be one near the WTC. THye got the only footage of the first plane going in because one of the brothers went with a fire crew on a routine call a couple of blocks from the WTC.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 18th September 2019 at 03:07 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Axxman300
Illuminator

It's the Naudet Brother and that is a fantastic work. They did an update for the 10 year anniversary where they talked to those firefighters. Many of them have PTSD and others are sick.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2011-09-...en-years-later

People forget what happened on 9-11. Nobody had it figured out.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:50 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's the Naudet Brother and that is a fantastic work. They did an update for the 10 year anniversary where they talked to those firefighters. Many of them have PTSD and others are sick.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2011-09-...en-years-later

People forget what happened on 9-11. Nobody had it figured out.
My Bad on the names.

Not surprised a lot of the firemen are having problems. I guess if you are a fireman breathing in a lot of bad crap (even with Gas Masks) is part of the job description but no doube 9/11 made it even worse.

One thing about the special is the way many of the firemen were getting "The Thousand Yard Stare" which combat veterens get.

I certainly will try to track down a copy of the 2019 edition.
But the article you linked had one thing I question. I don't remember Robert De Niro hosting the documentary. In the first television showing back in 2002, actor Steve Buscemi hosted it. Buscemi had been a FDNY fireman for a few years before he went into acting.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 18th September 2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 19th September 2019, 12:01 AM   #7
Axxman300
Illuminator

De Niro hosted the 10 year anniversary cut of the documentary.
Old 19th September 2019, 12:56 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

De Niro hosted the 10 year anniversary cut of the documentary.
I never saw the ten year cut to be honest, since from I what the changes to the standard cut did not amount to much.
The standard cut is the DVD that came out on DVD in 2002, it was 40 minutes longer then the TV Broadcast version and was uncensored (the TV version bleeped a lot of the fireman's language).

Buscami got picked for the TV broadcast because he was FDNY fireman for four years before he took up acting; always kept in touch wit his buddies and flew back to New York from LA right after 9/11 and volunteered for service, for anumber of weeks he manned the phones at a FDNY station when they were short handed. For his services to the FDNY he was made a honorary Battaliion Chief in 2014.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts