ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , 9/11 truthers , marianne williamson , presidential candidates

Old 19th September 2019, 04:57 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

9/11 Truth becomes a 2020 campaign issue..sort of.

Marianne Williamson, New Age Guru turned Democratic Presendential Candidate played footsy with 9/11 Truthers back in 2012:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/polit...ile/index.html

I say sort of because her bid was going nowhere fast, but already other contenders are hitting her hard with this and it will hasten her inevitable departure from the race.
But it shows how toxic being associated with the Truth movement has become. Sort of a kiss of death, really if you have any real political ambitions.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 05:42 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In a 2012 radio appearance, "Williamson declined to challenge the host's conspiracy theory and said that questioning the factual history of the September 11, 2001, attacks was acceptable".

"Sort of", indeed!
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Venom
Illuminator

At least she didn't push the controlled demolition nonsense.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Marianne Williamson, New Age Guru turned Democratic Presendential Candidate played footsy with 9/11 Truthers back in 2012:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/polit...ile/index.html

I say sort of because her bid was going nowhere fast, but already other contenders are hitting her hard with this and it will hasten her inevitable departure from the race.
But it shows how toxic being associated with the Truth movement has become. Sort of a kiss of death, really if you have any real political ambitions.
It's been that way for awhile; just ask Van Jones.

ETA: Apparently she went on Kevin "Hang 'Em All" Barrett's program. I guess she's lucky he didn't start spouting his beliefs about the holocaust.

Last edited by Brainster; 19th September 2019 at 09:37 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 01:37 AM   #5
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Mind you, she said that questioning the factual history of the 9/11 attacks was no different to questioning the findings of the Warren Commission, which I think quite a few of us could agree with.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 01:40 AM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Can Trump really risk ceding the 9/11 Truther vote to Williamson?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 06:47 AM   #7
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
All 40,000 of them? Yes. Yes he can.
Old 20th September 2019, 03:07 PM   #8
Venom
Illuminator

Yeah on second read she's not Mike Gravel.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 08:58 PM   #9
ozeco41
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Restate the question "WILL Trump really risk ceding the 9/11 Truther vote....?"
I'm sure he can - I'm not sure he will.

But then I'm not the person to predict US politics - esp the circus of US Presidential Elections. His record shows that he reads the electorate well, is fully aware of how much he can get away with. And doesn't hesitate to play for the minorities.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 04:20 AM   #10
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ozeco41 View Post
Restate the question "WILL Trump really risk ceding the 9/11 Truther vote....?"
I'm sure he can - I'm not sure he will.

But then I'm not the person to predict US politics - esp the circus of US Presidential Elections. His record shows that he reads the electorate well, is fully aware of how much he can get away with. And doesn't hesitate to play for the minorities.
My point was that the Truther crowd is so tiny and insignificant in numbers, not even Trump needs to give a damn.

But if he does give a damn, he should consider that you can hardly find a more anti-Israel, pro-muslim (and particularly pro-Iran) group than 9/11 Truth - both of which fly in the face of Trump's brand of bigotry.
Old 21st September 2019, 03:09 PM   #11
ozeco41
Philosopher

My point was that the Truther crowd is so tiny and insignificant in numbers, not even Trump needs to give a damn.
Yes. your point was clear. I though my response was also clear.
ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 04:57 PM   #12
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I wouldn't be so sure... I've heard that Trump-supporting 9/11 Truthers are concentrated in the swing states...
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 06:20 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure... I've heard that Trump-supporting 9/11 Truthers are concentrated in the swing states...
He can ask Alex Jones to help.....though Inote Donnie has been keeping his distance from Jones recently.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:04 AM   #14
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
California, Colorado and Oregon are swing states?
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Venom
Illuminator

California is full of truthers! lol
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:41 PM   #16
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

California, Colorado and Oregon are swing states?
Don't forget that hotbed of interest for Presidential contenders: Idaho.
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:50 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
California is full of truthers! lol

I hate to say it, since I am a Californian, but we have always had more then our share of kooks.
From Personal expereince I can tell you back in 2001/2010, Berkely was packed with Truthers. You could not walk down Telegrpah Avenue without passing Truther posters or Truther passing out or peddlng their crap literature.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd September 2019, 11:01 PM   #18
Redwood
Graduate Poster

I hate to say it, since I am a Californian, but we have always had more then our share of kooks.
From Personal expereince I can tell you back in 2001/2010, Berkely was packed with Truthers. You could not walk down Telegrpah Avenue without passing Truther posters or Truther passing out or peddlng their crap literature.
I hate to say it, but this is right. California is indeed the Land of Fruits and Nuts.
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:25 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

But if he does give a damn, he should consider that you can hardly find a more anti-Israel, pro-muslim (and particularly pro-Iran) group than 9/11 Truth - both of which fly in the face of Trump's brand of bigotry.
It's so cute that you think elementary logic is a factor here.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:14 AM   #20
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure I would agree that twoofers are pro-Muslim. The whole "cave-dweller" thing was pretty damned racist.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:47 AM   #21
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Par for the course for a woo and conspiracy peddler. Anyone who has any success being a pseudointellectual pushing this nonsense learns not to alienate their fellow travelers. Even if Williamson doesn't believe 9/11 conspiracy crap, she knows well enough not to step on the toes of her fellow cranks.

The woo and conspiracy world is full of little niche communities, but they have long learned to take a live and let live policy towards one another. Trying to get a conspiracy crank to outright and forcefully deny an unrelated conspiracy or woo is often extremely difficult, even if they don't actually believe it.
Old 23rd September 2019, 02:31 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Par for the course for a woo and conspiracy peddler. Anyone who has any success being a pseudointellectual pushing this nonsense learns not to alienate their fellow travelers. Even if Williamson doesn't believe 9/11 conspiracy crap, she knows well enough not to step on the toes of her fellow cranks.

The woo and conspiracy world is full of little niche communities, but they have long learned to take a live and let live policy towards one another. Trying to get a conspiracy crank to outright and forcefully deny an unrelated conspiracy or woo is often extremely difficult, even if they don't actually believe it.
I have to strongly disagree with your last statement.
The conspiracy world is full of savage infighting, the Truthers in particular.
And, of course, the favorite tactic is to accuse your opponents of being "Disinfo"...on the payroll of The Government.
But I agree that Williamson has gotten rich peddling New Age Crap,and it's not surprising she would dabble in other areas of woo.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:27 AM   #23
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I have to strongly disagree with your last statement.
The conspiracy world is full of savage infighting, the Truthers in particular.
And, of course, the favorite tactic is to accuse your opponents of being "Disinfo"...on the payroll of The Government.
But I agree that Williamson has gotten rich peddling New Age Crap,and it's not surprising she would dabble in other areas of woo.
I hadn't considered that, I suppose that is true. Within a certain conspiracy, I imagine there is plenty of dispute, because they are often mutually exclusive explanations. Mossad vs CIA controlled demo explanations could be pretty fiesty.

My point is that a 9/11 truther isn't going to go out of their way to dump on anti-vax or flat earth, which you might expect. I think there is a common understanding that they are all fellow travelers for "truth", even if that takes forms they don't agree with.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:52 AM   #24
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Not sure I would agree that twoofers are pro-Muslim. The whole "cave-dweller" thing was pretty damned racist.
"Pro-muslim" needs not mean "we accept them as equal and grant them the same respect and liberties as everyone else". It could also well be an attitude similar to that reserved for pet dogs and little children.

(Don't underestimate the proportion of actual muslims among Truthers, of course)
Old 24th September 2019, 08:49 AM   #25
MattNelson
Scholar

"Pro-muslim" needs not mean "we accept them as equal and grant them the same respect and liberties as everyone else". It could also well be an attitude similar to that reserved for pet dogs and little children.

(Don't underestimate the proportion of actual muslims among Truthers, of course)
Many Muslims believe Israel helped carry out the attacks. I may have never started down the 9/11 hole if it weren't for my stepdaughter's Muslim father, who gave me a copy of Loose Change he helped circulate at his mosque in 2007. (He also gave me a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which I guess he took seriously.) A look at memri.org will shed lots of light on that subject.
MattNelson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 09:59 AM   #26
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the link, Matt!
Old 26th September 2019, 07:22 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Yeah on second read she's not Mike Gravel.
Gravel is something else.
The he goes from left to right and then back again is incredible. I think in less then Six months, he joined the Libertarian Party and then supported Bernie Sanders.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 07:26 PM   #28
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I think it's safe to call Williamson's campaign a small footnote to a footnote in the 2020 race. By August 6, she had less than 1% of the democratic vote.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories