ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th February 2019, 05:41 AM   #481
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Neeson was not out to find any old black person for random revenge. He made it clear he was looking only for someone who was aggressive towards him.
I love this defence. It can't be racist because he wasn't looking for any old black man, only one of the aggressive black men. The fact that they hadn't been responsible for a rape isn't apparently important. In fact, it has been suggested, when you find one of the aggressive blacks, they may as well have been the rapist because they have probably raped someone.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 08:29 AM   #482
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

So, why is someone being called a Pole or a Turk rather than Polish or Turkish not offensive?
Because there is no history of these terms being used widely as racial epithets to systemically harass members of that population.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:33 AM   #483
Mumbles
Philosopher

Neeson was not out to find any old black person for random revenge. He made it clear he was looking only for someone who was aggressive towards him.
And George Zimmerman was looking for "suspicious" black men. Turns out, "suspicious" meant "in my neighborhood" to him.

First, it's still random. Second, I don't trust anyone to be a good judge of character when they're walking around in a rage with a weapon, looking for an excuse to use it.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:37 PM   #484
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Simply put, taking "revenge" on a random person for having the same skin colors someone who sexually assaulted a friend, means that he can't be told that fact, or anything else likely to anger him, because he is obviously out of control.

Not sure how you can jump to that conclusion given

a) He is obviously a different bloke now he is older or he wouldn't be so ashamed of it

b) We have no idea how different peoples wants after they have been assaulted
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:38 PM   #485
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I love this defence. It can't be racist because he wasn't looking for any old black man, only one of the aggressive black men. The fact that they hadn't been responsible for a rape isn't apparently important. In fact, it has been suggested, when you find one of the aggressive blacks, they may as well have been the rapist because they have probably raped someone.
He was being racist, but in a stupid, rather than KKK way.
Old 13th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #486
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

And George Zimmerman was looking for "suspicious" black men. Turns out, "suspicious" meant "in my neighborhood" to him.

First, it's still random. Second, I don't trust anyone to be a good judge of character when they're walking around in a rage with a weapon, looking for an excuse to use it.
He admits he was an idiot and it was a one off.
Old 13th February 2019, 03:59 PM   #487
Mumbles
Philosopher

He admits he was an idiot and it was a one off.
No, "murder a black guy at random" is kinda what the KKK is known for. One of their signature moves, along with "bomb a black church" and "destroy a black neighborhood". It's kinda why they were seen as a terrorist group.

That's great. A lot of people are still angered by it. If you're going to tell a story that ugly about yourself, don't be shocked if people - especially people who aren't your friends or family, end up feeling disgusted about it. And again, "he was clear that he was only going to murder an aggressive black guy" has little meaning when the person so describes was clearly not acting rationally.

What, you think he wouldn't have beaten some black guy that asked him for a cigarette the "wrong" way, or who stumbled into him drunkenly or bumped him accidentally?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 04:13 PM   #488
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

No, "murder a black guy at random" is kinda what the KKK is known for. One of their signature moves, along with "bomb a black church" and "destroy a black neighborhood". It's kinda why they were seen as a terrorist group.
Liam Neeson is a terrorist group now! Who'da thunk it?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:52 PM   #489
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yes, I completely agree. I'm glad that we finally agree that he was being racist though.

I actually think, as others have said, that it could well be a good thing to admit to these sorts of feelings. Not good, necessarily, for Liam Neeson's career, or to the production company's of his movies, but perhaps good for people to be able to say, "I have harboured terrible thoughts, and these are probably terrible thoughts that others have had. We need to find ways of being able to admit these things and deal with them."

I don't think it is useful if the result of people admitting to things like this leads to ostracism. We'll see what happens in this case.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 10:04 PM   #490
This is The End

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Please do, and don't forget the 'instead of'.

I should. At this point it is almost less racist.
Old 13th February 2019, 10:11 PM   #491
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Very, very different ... how exactly, in this context?
In the US it is nasty. In the UK it is just bantz.

Old 14th February 2019, 02:47 AM   #492
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It was not random as you suggest.

Quote:

That's great. A lot of people are still angered by it. If you're going to tell a story that ugly about yourself, don't be shocked if people - especially people who aren't your friends or family, end up feeling disgusted about it. And again, "he was clear that he was only going to murder an aggressive black guy" has little meaning when the person so describes was clearly not acting rationally.
I am also shocked and disgusted by what he said. The difference is that I am not going to condemn him outright as a racist and hope his career is over.

Quote:
What, you think he wouldn't have beaten some black guy that asked him for a cigarette the "wrong" way, or who stumbled into him drunkenly or bumped him accidentally?
I don't know if he would have actually gone through with his plan or not.
Old 14th February 2019, 04:59 AM   #493
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I am also shocked and disgusted by what he said.

As is Liam Neeson himself.

Apparently, the pitchfork carriers don't think there is any statute of limitations on behavior that was in any way racist, nor any extenuating circumstances under which it could be forgiven, even if that behavior never manifested itself in any actual words or deeds that were visible to any other human being.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:10 AM   #494
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Liam Neeson is a terrorist group now! Who'da thunk it?
He certainly sees himself as some kind of Rambo.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:15 AM   #495
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yes, I completely agree. I'm glad that we finally agree that he was being racist though.

I actually think, as others have said, that it could well be a good thing to admit to these sorts of feelings. Not good, necessarily, for Liam Neeson's career, or to the production company's of his movies, but perhaps good for people to be able to say, "I have harboured terrible thoughts, and these are probably terrible thoughts that others have had. We need to find ways of being able to admit these things and deal with them."

I don't think it is useful if the result of people admitting to things like this leads to ostracism. We'll see what happens in this case.

No, no, please, spare us. I am sure we have all had the unedifying experience of people mouthing off about spades, yids, fenians, wops, pakis, dagos and poofs, etc.

I for one would rather they keep their 'terrible thoughts' to themselves, thanks.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:17 AM   #496
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Apparently, the pitchfork carriers don't think there is any statute of limitations on behavior that was in any way racist, nor any extenuating circumstances under which it could be forgiven, even if that behavior never manifested itself in any actual words or deeds that were visible to any other human being.
Er, he roamed the streets with an offensive weapon. That's illegal in the UK.

Blamed it on his 'primeval urges'.

Purleese.
Old 14th February 2019, 11:22 AM   #497
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Now, won't anyone come forward and talk about experiences of racism in their past?

For, uhm...healing, yeah.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:21 AM   #498
Mumbles
Philosopher

It was not random as you suggest.
Again, you're assuming that the guy who is so enraged that he's prowling around with a weapon just looking for an excuse to beat a black guy to death, is also going to rationally consider every possible reason for a given black guy's behavior, and only beat them to death if they've clearly become aggressive towards him without cause.

That's absurd.

Quote:
I am also shocked and disgusted by what he said. The difference is that I am not going to condemn him outright as a racist and hope his career is over.
But many people will, regardless of what you or I have to say on it. At the very least, I know the host of The Black Guy who Tips podcast said outright that he would not go see his latest movie now because of this.

Will I go see it? No, it's not part of the MCU. Maybe I'll see it when I can watch it at home.
Old 15th February 2019, 01:05 PM   #499
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Man, people sure have a way of getting triggered when essentially nothing happened.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:13 PM   #500
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Man, people sure have a way of getting triggered when essentially nothing happened.
Hopefully Neeson's publicist will remind him of this truth, the next time he's considering a public confession.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:35 PM   #501
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It can be his next film, playing a well liked widower who then said something stupid during an interview and he has to flee for his life into the wilderness, where he meets that wolf who was after him from that other film.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events