ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2019, 01:58 PM   #161
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
Or he's misremembering because it was so long ago. Or he's cutting out a lot because he was trying to get to the point rather than explaining pointless details.
I suspect there was a lot more to the story, but he homed in on the "wrong" details for the sake of brevity.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 5th February 2019 at 02:04 PM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 01:58 PM   #162
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The motivation for revenge was a rape, not skin colour.

He admits to being stupid and regretting what he did.
Good for him, but it's still a bad story to tell when trying to sell oneself and one's movie.
Unless he's specifically trying to sell himself to some audience out there that actually wants to hear stories like this from people like him.

Which brings me back to my question: Who exactly was supposed to be the audience for this confession?

ETA: I'd like to point out that there was no question of Neeson being able to relate to the Character of Brian Mills in taken. The script did a good job of explaining the premise. The director did a good job of establishing the scenario. And Neeson did a good job of acting the part. No need for him to go out in public and reassure us that his life experience helps him connect with what the character is going through.

And, FFS, why would you ever think it's a good idea to mention race - let alone literal skin color! - in an anecdote like this one?

Last edited by theprestige; 5th February 2019 at 02:02 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:09 PM   #163
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Neeson had a perfectly natural reaction.

The tendency to lump outgroup members together and struggle to differentiate between them is fundamental to how our brains work and a big part of why diversity cannot work.
So in effect you are affirming that Neeson is actually proud of his racism and his friend's rape gives him the perfect excuse to brag about it in a public organ, when normally it would be bad manners.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:10 PM   #164
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
This was in Ireland? Considering less than 1% of the country is of African descent, I'm not surprised he didnt find anybody.
Thank goodness Phil Lynott wasn't around.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:11 PM   #165
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
His reaction was that it was wrong, across the board. You applaud this, yes?

We sometimes have impulsive reactions to knock someone's teeth out, or have sex with someone. Totally cool to act on those impulses too, being natural and all?

eta: bah. Ninja'd by Belz..., like a Jussie Smollette attacker
We don't brag about it to promote our latest film. Oh look, my character's a ruthless vigilante...just like me. So hard.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:15 PM   #166
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Which brings me back to my question: Who exactly was supposed to be the audience for this confession?
Personal hypothesis- he has told people this story in the past and due to recent deep digging call-out has been afraid that it would surface. He decided that getting ahead of the story by slipping it into what he saw as context would be better than an out-of-the-blue confession for whatever reason.

As bizarre as it is, this is probably going better for him than a revelation from someone else that he had that plan.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:17 PM   #167
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I think, especially given just how homogeneous and very pale Ireland is, and especially was at the time Liam's friend got raped, it was legitimate for one of the very few black men there raping a white woman (I presume these are the facts of it) to end up feeling like a particularly invasive and intolerable breach of the peace and the sanctity of his people's living space - even if he would like to portray it now as though "and if she'd said it was a guy wit a mustache, I'd have felt exactly like this toward men with mustaches!"

Not buying it.

The difference is that every human being has strong in-group instincts, or at least the vast majority do. Not every person has a nearly irresistible urge to rape or murder.

Society can get by alright with the occasional person who breaches the peace with a rape or a murder, as long as this number is kept as low as possible.

Among a larger swath of society, it is okay if there exist strong but controlled urges toward those behaviors because as long as the behavior itself doesn't take place, the social order will be okay.

So you start with a much smaller percentage of the populace with such urges, then an even smaller number with those urges in a strong form, then a much much smaller percentage who actually act on them. This ends up being within tolerances.

Regarding racial feelings of mistrust and allegiance, however, the situation differs. Society requires people to trust one another and to view strangers as valid members of their group. Racial diversity undermines that. It undermines the trust and effortless ability to relate to strangers that a really functional society requires. It is also not a direct action like a rape or a murder, usually. Just even having those feelings of mistrust about others around you poisons the whole societal experience and all the interactions.

It can also flare up in a very dangerous way under certain conditions. We've lost the ability already to be a society that can look at cases which involve multiple races of people with any sort of dispassion or objectivity at all. Race riots and such are also symptoms of how these (at best) dormant or well-hidden group loyalties can flare up and I do firmly believe they are in the process of flaring up in a civilization-ending way now.

A lot of you who think this can "work" have really just been misinterpreting what was going on. It was having a (very poor) illusion of functioning because of an overwhelming white majority who'd been talked into working very hard to disavow their own racial interests and tolerate others.

That's going away.

'His people'? So how come the Irish have been beating the bejasus out of each other for the last century if they are 'all one people' based on melanin. or lack thereof, itself based on general lack of sunshine at that latitude.

Last edited by Vixen; 5th February 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:23 PM   #168
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

He also said he would have gone hunting for a Lithuanian if the rapist had been from Lithuania. He was not out for revenge purely because the rapist was black and anyone one else he would have been OK with.
'Hello, Jenny, how's life with you?'

<fx sobs heartily> 'I was raped.'

'Who by? Was he Black?'

'No, but he was a foreigner.'

'Was he an Arab?'

'No.'

'Was he a Jew?'

'No'.

'Was he Hispanic?'

'No.'

'Was he Asian?'

'No.'

'What was he then? European?'

'Yeah, but, no, but, he was a Lithuanian. I recognised the cheekbones and the Slavic eyes and his accent.'

<fx Neesom fetches a crowbar>

'I never did like ******* Lithuanians so now I'm going to beat the **** out of one of 'em. ******* bastard!'
Old 5th February 2019, 02:26 PM   #169
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Liam said it was a cosh, which in British/Irish vernacular means a short weighted leather or rubber club; what Americans call a "crowbar" is a jemmy here; when we say "crowbar," it refers to a digging bar.
It can simply be a bag full of coins.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:34 PM   #170
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Before going on to your psychoanalytic assessment, you claim they you cannot love a friend, or that you are sure he didn't? Pretty cold, if the former. Pretty psychic, if the latter.
The anger belongs to his friend, not him. If SHE went out looking for revenge it'd be more comprehensible. He should have gone to the police with her and offered emotional support not gone all Rambo in faux rage.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:36 PM   #171
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Good for him, but it's still a bad story to tell when trying to sell oneself and one's movie.
Unless he's specifically trying to sell himself to some audience out there that actually wants to hear stories like this from people like him.

Those interested in his latest revenge thriller.

Quote:
ETA: I'd like to point out that there was no question of Neeson being able to relate to the Character of Brian Mills in taken. The script did a good job of explaining the premise. The director did a good job of establishing the scenario. And Neeson did a good job of acting the part. No need for him to go out in public and reassure us that his life experience helps him connect with what the character is going through.

And, FFS, why would you ever think it's a good idea to mention race - let alone literal skin color! - in an anecdote like this one?
It was not a good idea. He could have just said having been told a friend had been raped, he stalked the streets in a rage and he uses that rage to help get into character for his films.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:37 PM   #172
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Isn't that inferior in a way? Less civilised?
You'll have to ask the guys whether physical endowment is considered important.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:38 PM   #173
Mumbles
Philosopher

The motivation for revenge was a rape, not skin colour.
But he freely said that his targets for revenge were based on skin color, as I said.

Quote:
He admits to being stupid and regretting what he did.
And he'll find little applause for this. As a story of how he grew out of being a violent idiot, it's fine. As a story about how admirable he is and please go see his movie to reward him, it sucks.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:39 PM   #174
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe he just felt he needed to get that out. Who knows? Ask him.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:39 PM   #175
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Liam said it was a cosh, which in British/Irish vernacular means a short weighted leather or rubber club; what Americans call a "crowbar" is a jemmy here; when we say "crowbar," it refers to a digging bar.
blackjack
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:40 PM   #176
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
You'll have to ask the guys whether physical endowment is considered important.
That's not what I said, and that's not what you said. Don't change the subject.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:48 PM   #177
Thermal
Philosopher

The article said a cosh was a crobar. Being euro illiterate, I believed it. Thanks for clarifyng. Is a cosh something that can be carried legally?
Old 5th February 2019, 02:49 PM   #178
Thermal
Philosopher

The anger belongs to his friend, not him. If SHE went out looking for revenge it'd be more comprehensible. He should have gone to the police with her and offered emotional support not gone all Rambo in faux rage.
Not what I asked you. You said his friend was not a loved one. Couldn't be or just wasn't?
Old 5th February 2019, 02:50 PM   #179
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That's not what I said, and that's not what you said. Don't change the subject.
Well, maybe Neesom has an - ahem - insecurity in that region and the idea of some Black guy being 'better endowed' than him brought out his murderous rage, especially if he had been trying to get off with his friend but she wasn't having any of it.

Point is, notions of rampant sexuality are a part of the racist myth.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:52 PM   #180
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The article said a cosh was a crobar. Being euro illiterate, I believed it. Thanks for clarifyng. Is a cosh something that can be carried legally?
No. I did jury service on some guy who was charged with being in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place. He had a cosh (a bag full of heavy coins) and a baton. Both illegal. He actually used it, too.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:52 PM   #181
Thermal
Philosopher

Well, maybe Neesom has an - ahem - insecurity in that region and the idea of some Black guy being 'better endowed' than him brought out his murderous rage, especially if he had been trying to get off with his friend but she wasn't having any of it.

...what the hell?...
Old 5th February 2019, 02:55 PM   #182
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Not what I asked you. You said his friend was not a loved one. Couldn't be or just wasn't?
A loved one is usually your nearest and dearest: close relatives, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend. You wouldn't just call them 'a friend'.

Point is, he owned his friend's emotional space. He went out on his murderous vigilante hunt on her behalf. But do we know if she asked him to, or even knew about it. Was it really any of his business..?
Old 5th February 2019, 02:57 PM   #183
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The anger belongs to his friend, not him.
That's not how emotions or relationships work. At all.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 03:06 PM   #184
baron
Philosopher

I imagine that's exactly what happened. When his friend reported she had been raped, he stuttered through clenched teeth, "Was he b... b... b..." He wanted to ask "Was he bigger than me?" but he just couldn't force it out and ended up saying, "Was he black?" This led to a situation where he spent a week walking up and down the high street looking for a black man as opposed to a guy with an enormous cock. It all makes sense.
Old 5th February 2019, 03:13 PM   #185
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I imagine that's exactly what happened. When his friend reported she had been raped, he stuttered through clenched teeth, "Was he b... b... b..." He wanted to ask "Was he bigger than me?" but he just couldn't force it out and ended up saying, "Was he black?" This led to a situation where he spent a week walking up and down the high street looking for a black man as opposed to a guy with an enormous cock. It all makes sense.
This is totally my new go-to for assault charges. 'You see, officer, I thought he might have been better hung than me. We've all been there, right? Right?'
Old 5th February 2019, 03:17 PM   #186
Thermal
Philosopher

A loved one is usually your nearest and dearest: close relatives, spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend. You wouldn't just call them 'a friend'.

Point is, he owned his friend's emotional space. He went out on his murderous vigilante hunt on her behalf. But do we know if she asked him to, or even knew about it. Was it really any of his business..?
If it were a close friend he cared for...loved, one might say...yes. He might make it his business.
Old 5th February 2019, 03:48 PM   #187
Belz...
Fiend God

Please stop making stuff up. How about you answer my question?

Old 5th February 2019, 04:47 PM   #188
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Given some of the rumours going round for a long time from women in hollywood, I think endowment was the least of Neesoms worries
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:53 PM   #189
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
He was talking about getting "revenge" against random people based on skin color - that's just raging racism. There's nothing at all admirable about that, even in a revenge fantasy movie such a character would be identified as a villain by every right-thinking person. Telling a story about that in real life doesn't make Neeson admirable in any way to ordinary people - at best, he learned not to be a violently racist idiot.
You think he would have learned that from what Happened to Mel Gibson.\
Or Governor Northam, for that matter.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 5th February 2019 at 04:56 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 04:58 PM   #190
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I think while not condoning his actual event, you have a dude who was brought up in one of the roughest towns in Northern Ireland during the worst of the Troubles.

People killing each other left right and center. Horrible stuff most people couldn't imagine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles_in_Ballymena

Violence would have been the go to he would have seen in any situation like this.

I think the race element is kind of incidental, though I may be wrong.

What I do know from hearing the interview is that he is obviously remorseful and ashamed of his actions.

If it costs him his acting career, it costs him his acting career, but their is a fair bit of lynch mob, jury by social media "holier than thou" crap going on again, which is getting tedious.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:00 PM   #191
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Libs get passes here
I give 4 out of 5 conservatives passes for their past as well.

It's a moment in these middle-aged men's lives driven by intense emotion and/or impulse and long gone and in the past.

As long as it isn't ideology driven I'm often quick to give anyone a pass.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:10 PM   #192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I think while not condoning his actual event, you have a dude who was brought up in one of the roughest towns in Northern Ireland during the worst of the Troubles.

People killing each other left right and center. Horrible stuff most people couldn't imagine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles_in_Ballymena

Violence would have been the go to he would have seen in any situation like this.

I think the race element is kind of incidental, though I may be wrong.

What I do know from hearing the interview is that he is obviously remorseful and ashamed of his actions.

If it costs him his acting career, it costs him his acting career, but their is a fair bit of lynch mob, jury by social media "holier than thou" crap going on again, which is getting tedious.
That old joke about Northren Ireland comes to mind:

People in Northren Ireland are very tolerant in some areas: finding out your sister is dating a Black or and Indian is no big deal.
But find out she is dating someone of a different religion.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:15 PM   #193
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

What are your feelings about taking revenge on someone who looks nothing like the perpetrator?
It would depend on the reason... but it doesnt sound good on the face of it
Old 5th February 2019, 05:16 PM   #194
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

The revenge was for rape, not being black.
The people he sought revenge on raped noone, but were guilty of being black.
Old 5th February 2019, 05:17 PM   #195
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Presumably because that's the data he had, no?
No that's the data he had that he thought mattered.
Old 5th February 2019, 05:22 PM   #196
angrysoba
Philosophile

I think there's two people in this thread having an honest discussion about race: Skeptic Tank and Liam Neeson.
Yes, they both honestly admit to racism. Skeptic Tank thinks it is a good thing, because of his appeal to nature fallacy - if it is natural, it is good - whereas Liam Neeson accepts that it is a bad thing and something to be overcome. I much prefer Liam Neeson's way of thinking on this.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:25 PM   #197
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
It would depend on the reason... but it doesnt sound good on the face of it
Ah. That was meant to be a bit of a joke, though. :/

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
No that's the data he had that he thought mattered.
Wait, how do you know this? Based on the story it's the only bit of information that he had to go on. Obviously not enough to go on a witch hunt, but I don't get where you're getting the above. It sounds like you're adding speculation in order to justify a conclusion; namely that he's a racist.

Old 5th February 2019, 05:30 PM   #198
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Ehh. I know in the Gillette thread I said that some ads are designed to attract one demographic, and to anger another, but I don't see it with this story. This one will outrage most nonracist people, and attract...George Zimmerman, probably, and that's about it.
Actually, I think this is a great example of 'toxic masculinity' that the ad supposedly brought to the public consciousness.

His oh so shameful ( ) revelation is nothing of the sort. It's his job to sell fantasy.

He had been told by a friend she had been raped. If she had said he was white with an eastern European accent, Neeson said he would have gone hunting for someone like that.
Utter bollocks.

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I think his point is, that Revenge is such a powerful thing, it can make you do things you wouldn't normally do, and think things you wouldn't normally think.
The point is more like reinforcing the societal stereotype that lone vigilantism is secretly a great thing and an attempt at normalizing violence. That's the entire point of 'coming out' like this when discussing yet another of his dull revenge movies.

But that's not what a Real Man™ does!

Oh, I dunno. I have a very close friend, female, whom I've known for twenty-something years and we've told one another that we love each other at times. Our relationship has been platonic; begun that way and remains that way. So, it's possible, though admittedly rare.

Quote:
Interestingly (to me at any rate), I was in a very similar situation and my first instinct and later what I did do was inform the proper authorities about what had happened. It wasn't my business in a way, but I was in a position to help hold the scumbag accountable and try to prevent him taking advantage of anyone else.

To this day, don't know if it worked though. C'est la vie.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:30 PM   #199
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

This is why the term is called "woke." There is a process of change involved.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 05:32 PM   #200
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Those interested in his latest revenge thriller.
As a fan of Liam Neeson action movies, and tales of righteous retribution in general, I'm telling you I'm *not* the right audience for this kind of racism confessional bull ****.

And I doubt there's a PR flack anywhere in Hollywood who would tell Liam Neeson to play up the racist angle, in an anecdote intended to sell his movie.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events