ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th March 2019, 05:47 AM   #3481
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You received without paying; give without pay. 9 Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts,

this has nothing to do with the love of money. He doesn't want to see any money at all.
Incorrect. What did they receive without paying? Well, they received the ability to heal the sick, cast out demons, and raise the dead. It was those 3 abilities they were strictly forbidden to charge for. It was those 3 abilities they were charged with taking to the people. And by people, he meant only the Jews. Samaritans and everyone else, can go pound sand.

He did not want to see his 12 disciples profiting off of gifts he gave them. It wasn't a blanket ban on earning money. Paul was a notorious fundraisers, giving instructions to various churches that they were to set aside some of that filthy money from their normal donations for him when he came to town so they wouldn't have to fleece the flock any more than they were currently doing.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 07:12 AM   #3482
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

He doesn't want to see any money at all.
So was Jesus lying when he said that the laborer deserves his wages or are you? Is Jesus rotting in hell for the sin of lying?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #3483
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You received without paying; give without pay. 9 Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts,

this has nothing to do with the love of money. He doesn't want to see any money at all.
It's funny, we can always tell when some claimant knows they're cooked. They cut back to only posting once a day. It limits the number of times they can be shown to be wrong on this board.

You're cooked, Gaetan. We know you're wrong, you know you're wrong, the sex workers know you're wrong and you even posted proof from your bible that you're wrong. Every time you post, I'll remind you that you're wrong.

I hope your healing can now begin.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #3484
Joecool
Master Poster

Gaetan,

In the passage you cite, Jesus is clearly giving instructions to his disciples. It was not instructions on how people were to live.

If you want to get literal, Jesus never said you could have a vacation to Hawaii, yet it seems clear to me that you desire such a trip.

You are twisting the Bible verses to fit your narratives but you are hypocritical about following them yourself.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #3485
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Gaetan,

In the passage you cite, Jesus is clearly giving instructions to his disciples. It was not instructions on how people were to live.

If you want to get literal, Jesus never said you could have a vacation to Hawaii, yet it seems clear to me that you desire such a trip.

You are twisting the Bible verses to fit your narratives but you are hypocritical about following them yourself.
You also received the teaching of Jesus as the apostles then you received without paying and you shall give without pay. outside that the gift received by Jesus was not gift given by person healed but by people who can afford to give gifts. This is clear that work has to be free of charge. Bargains are the way devils makes business not God
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #3486
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

You also received the teaching of Jesus as the apostles then you received without paying and you shall give without pay.
Give what "without pay", " the teaching of Jesus"? I can't recall ever charging anyone for whatever I've heard of Jesus.

outside that the gift received by Jesus was not gift given by person healed but by people who can afford to give gifts. This is clear that work has to be free of charge.
Nope, as one of your purported "teaching of Jesus" is "the laborer deserves his wages", which I now return to you "free of charge".

Bargains are the way devils makes business not God
Agreeing to work for someone "without pay" and someone accepting you to do so is still striking a bargain.
Old Today, 01:21 PM   #3487
Joecool
Master Poster

You also received the teaching of Jesus as the apostles then you received without paying and you shall give without pay. outside that the gift received by Jesus was not gift given by person healed but by people who can afford to give gifts. This is clear that work has to be free of charge. Bargains are the way devils makes business not God
Gaetan, Jesus' teaching and healing is free. Salvation is free and Jesus sent his disciples out to do his work (for free).

But as for regular people who work, they are expected to receive wages. Look at this parable:

Quote:
The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
20 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius[a] for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #3488
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus saves, the pope invests and imbeciles believe in fairy tales.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #3489
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Jesus saves, the pope invests and imbeciles believe in fairy tales.
They say Jésus is God but they don't put in practice what he says, they prefer to put in practice the teaching of Satan.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #3490
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

They say Jésus is God but they don't put in practice what he says, they prefer to put in practice the teaching of Satan.
Is it ok to charge for that?

Remember, Jesus said that the laborer deserves his wages. A person would be lying to say otherwise.
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #3491
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

What does it mean in Timothy 5:18 "The worker deserves his wages."?
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #3492
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Your credibility goes south the minute you assert that your imaginary friend proves that you're right.

Want to comment on the most recent no-money wetdream, Cambodia under the Rouge?

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:44 PM   #3493
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Who is charging for raising the dead or casting out demons? I'm not sure how to tell you this, but the dead haven't been raised and demons aren't being cast out since they don't exist. Since it can't be done, the most you can do is get paid for is interactive theater.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:52 PM   #3494
Leftus
Graduate Poster

I don't charge for teaching the bible. If I did, you would owe me.

The prohibition was against those specific 12 disciples against taking money for specific tasks. It was not, as others have pointed out, a prohibition against earning a living as Jesus clearly stated in other parables.

Paul, one of those 12, was clearly hitting up various churches for cash money. So it wasn't even a flat prohibition against the 12 to earning any money.

No bargains? So the rainbow, the promised land, all bargains from the devil?
Old Today, 05:56 PM   #3495
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
What does it mean in Timothy 5:18 "The worker deserves his wages."?
I found this:

Quote:
The actual quote, "The laborer deserves his wages" reinforces Paul's teaching that elders who work hard are to be paid for their efforts (1 Timothy 5:17).
https://www.bibleref.com/1-Timothy/5...othy-5-18.html

What say you now Gaetan? Clearly the Bible doesn't say people should not receive wages?
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #3496
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I found this:

What say you now Gaetan? Clearly the Bible doesn't say people should not receive wages?
This is not money, that's what it is:

And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages.

Your work gets paid by what the others provide to you,. That what i say since the beginning. You work free of charge and you get what others provide to you free of charge.
Old Today, 06:45 PM   #3497
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

This is not money, that's what it is:

And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages.

Your work gets paid by what the others provide to you,. That what i say since the beginning. You work free of charge and you get what others provide to you free of charge.
"... for the laborer deserves his wages."

Thank you for confirming Jesus says to use money.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:55 PM   #3498
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
"... for the laborer deserves his wages."

Thank you for confirming Jesus says to use money.
It cannot be money because he says that:

9 Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts

It is what they provide free of charge. Well come to hell unbelievers

Last edited by Gaetan; Today at 06:56 PM.
Old Today, 07:38 PM   #3499
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Jesus told the twelve/seventy-two that. No one else.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:05 PM   #3500
Gaetan
Master Poster

Jesus told the twelve/seventy-two that. No one else.
He told that to you too because we wouldn't know it
Old Today, 08:15 PM   #3501
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

He did not. He specifically told the twelve/seventy-two. You have quoted the bible.
Old Today, 09:30 PM   #3502
Gaetan
Master Poster

He did not. He specifically told the twelve/seventy-two. You have quoted the bible.
No what Jesus taught is for everybody not only for the 12

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance