ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 06:54 PM   #401
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Trump reminds me of a famous episode in the Army-McCarthy hearings in the 1950s. Joseph McCarthy, the notorious anti-Communist fear monger, lying scum, and exploitive politician, had accused the USA Army of hiding communists. Attorney Welch represented the Army in the hearings. Keeping with his established methods of slur and innuendo, at one point McCarthy made a completely off base, irrelevant attack on the loyalty of Fred Fisher, a junior colleague in Welch’s law firm, a junior colleague who had nothing to do with the hearings. Welch replied:

“Until this moment, Senator, I think I have never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us....Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is true he is still with Hale and Dorr. It is true that he will continue to be with Hale and Dorr. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so. I like to think I am a gentleman, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me.”

When McCarthy continued to press the issue, Welch replied:

“Senator, may we not drop this? We know he belonged to the Lawyers Guild ... Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

So many times those words come into my head after I read about quotes or actions by Trump.

But why should I be surprised? McCarthy’s right hand sleaze ball was Ron Cohen, the same Ron Cohen who Trump later sat at the foot of and learned every sleazy trick in the book.

“At long last have you no sense of decency?”

There is a difference. The Army-McCarthy hearings exposed McCarthy’s tactics and insanity to the public, beginning his eventual downfall. Trump’s disgusting behavior on the other hand is only meat to his supporters. Perhaps too many of us in the USA at long last have left no sense of decency...
That, sir, is one of the best posts I have ever read in ISF. Kudos.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:58 PM   #402
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks! I had considered looking it up, but convinced myself erroneously that it was Cohen.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:59 PM   #403
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Thanks! I had considered looking it up, but convinced myself erroneously that it was Cohen.
Spelling mistakes happen. In no way did it diminish the quality of your post.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:07 PM   #404
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
We have an active example right now. Biden makes a stupid comment about blacks and apologizes the same day. The GOP and, especially, the right wing punditacracy, are going ape **** over it. Yet nary a single word about Trump's overt racism.
It's ridiculous..

Trump: Bans transgenders from military. Labels Mexicans as murderers and thieves. Institutes muslim ban. Incites "send her back chant". Calls migrant caravan of refugees an "invasion". Says there were "fine people on both sides" of a neo-nazi rally (Charlottesville).

Republicans: *crickets*

Biden in jest: "If you vote for me instead of Trump you ain't black".

Republicans: *has apocalyptic conniption and reminds us that Democrats are the REAL racist*
Old Today, 07:22 PM   #405
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
First of all, the sabotaging of America in Putin's interests isn't secret at all...It might be something Trump is doing because Putin has him doing it, or it's because Trump is an idiot and mentally ill..or both.

It's not too hard to understand how an idiot can be led to screw things up by someone smarter than him. Being confused by this is like being confused about how a pair of oxen can plow such a nice straight furrow.
Old Today, 07:23 PM   #406
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Beyond him being a scumbag with a personal morality way below that of a rabid wolverine, how can Trumpís followers even buy into:

You canít believe any Democrat. You canít believe any of the more than half of Americans who voted against me in 2016. You canít believe anyone who once supported me but doesn't now. You canít believe anything said in the past by those who support me now, but didnít back then. You canít believe anyone who once worked in my administration but says anything but over-the-top praise for me now. You canít believe any of the major newspapers and tv news except Fox. You canít believe Fox when they say anything but over-the-top praise about me.

Gee, I would tend to be a little suspicious of this claim myself.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:27 PM   #407
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
It's ridiculous..

Trump: Bans transgenders from military. Labels Mexicans as murderers and thieves. Institutes muslim ban. Incites "send her back chant". Calls migrant caravan of refugees an "invasion". Says there were "fine people on both sides" of a neo-nazi rally (Charlottesville).

Republicans: *has apocalyptic conniption and reminds us that Democrats are the REAL racist*
It's only bad when a Democrat does it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:43 PM   #408
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
At long last have you no sense of decency?
No, Trump does not, not even in the zip code. He's led a life of leisure, of ease, of unearned wealth. Bailed out of his every failure, he has no idea of what it means to make your own measure in life, and how fleeting any success might be in the face of an unforeseen event as simple as unemployment or a medical necessity.

As any plutocrat, Trump has no idea how the mass of humanity live, the struggles, the heartaches, or the joys of at least one thing going right for once. Unfortunately, a number of US voters imagine that their fantasies of attaining wealth have some connection to the wealthy to which they aspire and envy, but have nothing whatever to do with actually achieving that wealth, and are in the end just fantasies. You may wish to be like Donald, but in reality, you are much better off not.

No, common decency is far beyond the comprehension of Donald J. Trump; that his supporters don't care is beyond my comprehension.
We're very proud of the job we've done.
Death is death . . . We've done a great job.
President Donald J. Trump

Last edited by Resume; Today at 07:46 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:49 PM   #409
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
It's ridiculous..

A few years ago, I had a rabid far right wing Trump supporter tell me that it's the Democrats who were the "real" racists and proceeded to tell me about the Southern Dems in the 1950's and 1960's while repeating the "Lincoln was a Republican" bit. I quoted and cited several historians' books on how the Dems and Republicans had basically changed platforms and the GOP and Dems of today are not the party of decades ago. She was adamant that I was wrong. I asked her to present articles by historians that supported her claim. The only thing she could produce was a Youtube video by a whacko right winger who had no credentials as an historian or expert on anything. Confronted with overwhelming evidence that she was wrong, she refused to admit it and continued with her allegations of "blacks are slaves to Democrat welfare" and "black people are afraid to vote Republican because Dems will kill them".
At that point, I realized you can't convince someone with logic and facts when logic and facts are not part of their reality.
Old Today, 09:39 PM   #410
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
A few years ago, I had a rabid far right wing Trump supporter tell me that it's the Democrats who were the "real" racists and proceeded to tell me about the Southern Dems in the 1950's and 1960's while repeating the "Lincoln was a Republican" bit. I quoted and cited several historians' books on how the Dems and Republicans had basically changed platforms and the GOP and Dems of today are not the party of decades ago. She was adamant that I was wrong. I asked her to present articles by historians that supported her claim. The only thing she could produce was a Youtube video by a whacko right winger who had no credentials as an historian or expert on anything. Confronted with overwhelming evidence that she was wrong, she refused to admit it and continued with her allegations of "blacks are slaves to Democrat welfare" and "black people are afraid to vote Republican because Dems will kill them".
At that point, I realized you can't convince someone with logic and facts when logic and facts are not part of their reality.
This drives me crazy. I think them blatantly ignoring the Democratic party's shift from antagonism to advocacy is their way of hiding their red hands (them continually displaying open and subliminal racism and courting the votes of white racist).

It's like the wizard of Oz that doesn't want you to peer behind the curtain and see the truth so they create this fantastical wonderland that doesn't exist (Wonderland: A fantasy world where the Republican party loves minorities and Democrats secretly hate blacks and want to keep them down by satiating them with welfare and "handouts"). It's a gross distortion of history and not to mention extremely patronizing to black folks that fought incredibly hard for the recognition and advocacy the Democratic party provided (and the Republican party eschews).

Last edited by Juniversal; Today at 09:41 PM.
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:45 PM   #411
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The reaction to that tomorrow is going to be AWESOME!

Now they need to the same on his accusing Joe Scarborough of murder.
Damn right they do. Twitter is complicit in keeping that despicable and cowardly lie on its platform if they don't.

While we're on the topic, I don't give two flying ***** on a trapeze what any slimy piece of Trumptrash says about Biden's comment on black voters after we heard crickets from them on this, Trump's latest effort to debase the presidency.

Last edited by Craig4; Today at 10:46 PM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:10 PM   #412
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the hashtag #JusticeForCarolyn has been trending on twitter.

Since twitter are refusing to take down the Trumps' spreading of the conspiracy theory about Joe Scarborough being a murderer, people have invented a new one - that Trump strangled his PA, Carolyn Gombell, to death in 2000 because he got her pregnant and she threatened to tell the papers. The idea is to force twitter to a) take them down and thereby admit to hypocrisy, or b) take down Trump's tweets.

I imagine it'll all come to nothing, but it's a noble effort.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics