IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gay marriage , judicial activism charges

Old 15th April 2009, 12:15 AM   #201
Tin Foil Timothy
Banned

Skeptic is keeping out of the Politics forum I see. I wonder why?
Tin Foil Timothy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 07:17 AM   #202
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Governor Patterson of New York is going to introduce a same sex marriage bill to the state legislature this week. If it passes 19 million folks will be forced into same sex marriages!
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 07:30 AM   #203
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by Alt+F4 View Post
Governor Patterson of New York is going to introduce a same sex marriage bill to the state legislature this week. If it passes 19 million folks will be forced into same sex marriages!

thats a conspiracy of the wedding lobby......
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 12:32 PM   #204
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
Itt acctuallyy ddoessntt Hurrrt tooooo muccccch but the vvvvibratttion makkes it diffficcult to tttype.

"He was found in his hotel room impaled on a large electrical device. Our surgeons did what they could but it took them 2 hours just to get the smile off his face."
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 01:42 PM   #205
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Dictator Cheney View Post

thats a conspiracy of the wedding lobby......
Well if the U.S. would just allow gays to get married the massive growth of the wedding industry would end the recession by June (wedding season, of course).
Alt+F4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 01:47 PM   #206
DC
Banned

Well if the U.S. would just allow gays to get married the massive growth of the wedding industry would end the recession by June (wedding season, of course).
but they will pay less taxes when married
and the people working for the wedding industry and make more than 250k a year will have swiss bank accounts and evade taxation...

you are doomed
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 01:56 PM   #207
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Dictator Cheney View Post
but they will pay less taxes when married
I'm starting to think this whole thing is a conspiracy regarding Social Security! When one spouse in a married couple who are collecting Social Security dies, the surviving spouse get the higher of the two checks. For single folks collecting Social Security, the payments just end when they die. Hmmm.
Old 15th April 2009, 05:11 PM   #208
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well given the commitment ceremony I am going to attend next month had a invitation that came is a package as a box, it would seem likely.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2009, 05:41 PM   #209
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Skeptic stopped posting here because he has no rational argument. Every argument he's made has been fallacy and fabrication. I suspect he's against gay marriage because of the reason most anti-gaymarriage people are against it.

These people do not want to see gay people be happy. The mere labeling of a legally bound gay couple as married helps to bring acceptance to homosexuality in society. It lessens the stigmatization associated with being homosexual. It does send a message that it's ok for people to be homosexual. This, in turn, makes it easier for gay people to be happy and open in society with less fear of retribution from the general public. Such things are unacceptable to those like Skeptic. They don't want homosexuals to be allowed to be happy.

In short, they hate homosexuals and don't want them to be happy.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2009, 05:42 AM   #210
Euromutt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
That's what I was thinking too. While I'm no constitutional scholar, I don't recall any mention of any kind of marriage in the whole eight pages. I don't think there were many restrictions, or advantages either, in the 1770s. Marriages were performed by your religious leader, and not hardly ever dissolved. State legalities were only invented to raise the possibility of taxation. Hmm, I suspect looking up early divorces might be the way to investigate the legalities of early marriages?
Nope, wrong, sorry. The Puritans of New England treated marriage is a purely civil contract, officiated by a magistrate, not a clergyman, and if either party was found to be in breach of contract, the contract could be canceled.

Note that the other colonies had their own views on marriage, which may explain to some extent why the Constitution is silent on the subject, as was federal law until the DOMA. Very simply, the precise nature of the institution of marriage was left to the states, which means that if a state chooses to recognize same-sex marriage, it is on constitutionally firmer ground than the DOMA.
"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

by birth, by choice
Euromutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2009, 06:33 AM   #211
Euromutt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Perhaps it will fail and the courts will manage to force gay marriage on the public. But it is quite clear that no compromise is possible.
Why should you compromise when your opponent is the one who's wrong? I mean, cripes, this from a guy who bangs on and on about how Israel shouldn't have to budge an inch when it comes to the Palestinians, but when he finds himself on the losing side of an issue, then he discovers the concept of compromise. that, I say.
"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

by birth, by choice
Euromutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2009, 09:48 AM   #212
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by Tin Foil Timothy View Post
Skeptic is keeping out of the Politics forum I see. I wonder why?
Maybe he's locked himself in the closet?
Old 19th April 2009, 04:03 PM   #213
Tin Foil Timothy
Banned

Originally Posted by mattusmaximus View Post
maybe he's locked himself in the closet?
hehe

Last edited by Tin Foil Timothy; 19th April 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Tin Foil Timothy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:56 AM   #214
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Shame on all of you! Only Skeptic saw this coming!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2009, 02:15 PM   #215
Tin Foil Timothy
Banned

Skeptic's Back!!
Looking forward to his input in this thread!!!
Old 25th April 2009, 11:30 PM   #216
Tin Foil Timothy
Banned

Originally Posted by Tin Foil Timothy View Post
Skeptic's Back!!
Looking forward to his input in this thread!!!
Skeptic is conveniently ignoring his own thread.
Old 26th April 2009, 05:32 AM   #217
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

It's hard to acknowledge one's own prejudices, especially if one takes on the mantle of a skeptic so much as to also take it on as a name.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2009, 08:27 AM   #218
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It's hard to acknowledge one's own prejudices, especially if one takes on the mantle of a skeptic so much as to also take it on as a name.
Skeptic's bigotry has been there for all to see for a long time - it's just that (on this board, anyway) being a bigot against homosexuals is considered universally unacceptable, but bigotry against Arabs and Muslims often gets a pass.
Old 26th April 2009, 11:19 PM   #219
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

...becuse it doesn't matter what people want, the courts will magically find a "right" to gay marriage in the Constitution.

Since it is crystal clear the courts simply do not care, and will simply decide any law against gay marriage is "unconstitutional", the only way for the people to have any say in the matter -- since, clearly, any laws they pass counts for nothing as far as the courts are concerned -- would be to amend the Constitution to explicitly ban gay marriage.

Perhaps it will fail and the courts will manage to force gay marriage on the public. But it is quite clear that no compromise is possible.

Please elaborate...
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 01:40 AM   #220
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Please elaborate...
First he needs to substantiate...in BOTH senses of the word.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 01:40 PM   #221
dafydd
Banned

...becuse it doesn't matter what people want, the courts will magically find a "right" to gay marriage in the Constitution.

Since it is crystal clear the courts simply do not care, and will simply decide any law against gay marriage is "unconstitutional", the only way for the people to have any say in the matter -- since, clearly, any laws they pass counts for nothing as far as the courts are concerned -- would be to amend the Constitution to explicitly ban gay marriage.

No member of the public will be forced to marry a gay person.If gays want to get married,good luckto them.Live and let live.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 04:47 PM   #222
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You're poorly informed. Even here in Vermont, the courts did not find a constitutional right to anything but equal protection. When the original suit that led to the civil union law was settled, the court said only that gay couples and families should not be denied the possibility of obtaining the civil benefits of marriage, under the equal protection clause. The court left the question of how that might be accomplished entirely up to the legislature, which passed the civil union law, and some years later, the marriage law. Civil union satisfied the court. No judicial magic here. The magic here was in the will of the people, expressed through their representatives.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 05:07 PM   #223
The Painter
Banned

I am so sick and tired of the gay marriage debate. Let the fags get married. Who cares??? Let them discover the joys of divorce.

Fags is not used in a derogatory fashion, it is a term of endearment.
The Painter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 05:37 PM   #224
ProbeX
Graduate Poster

Quote:
I am so sick and tired of the gay marriage debate. Let the fags get married. Who cares??? Let them discover the joys of divorce.

While your phrasing -regardless of that pithy disingenuous disclaimer at the bottom of your page - is crap, I agree with the sentiment.

Last edited by ProbeX; 27th April 2009 at 05:38 PM.
ProbeX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 05:55 PM   #225
The Painter
Banned

Mod WarningEdited and infracted for civility.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Tricky

Last edited by Tricky; 6th May 2009 at 04:36 PM.
The Painter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 06:04 PM   #226
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
Do gays use the word fag????
Rarely, in my experience.
Old 27th April 2009, 06:10 PM   #227
Axiom_Blade

Edited by Tricky:  Edited to remove continuation and reply to modded post.

Last edited by Tricky; 6th May 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 06:24 PM   #228
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Dan Savage does in his podcast a lot.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 06:24 PM   #229
The Painter
Banned

Well then you should come to NYC. It's not so rare
Old 27th April 2009, 06:29 PM   #230
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Dan Savage does in his podcast a lot.
Perhaps it is not a midwest thing, which is my experience.
Old 27th April 2009, 06:46 PM   #231
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Perhaps it is not a midwest thing, which is my experience.
As alluded to above, I think it's a little like tne N-word, in that the in-group uses it amongst themselves, but that doesn't give outsiders carte blanch to use it. I'm bisexual and even I wouldn't call gays "fag".
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2009, 07:09 PM   #232
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
As alluded to above, I think it's a little like tne N-word, in that the in-group uses it amongst themselves, but that doesn't give outsiders carte blanch to use it. I'm bisexual and even I wouldn't call gays "fag".
Quite. It depends on the group as well, but it is part of that whole "reclaiming" thing.

Only British hets get away with using fag.
Old 27th April 2009, 07:34 PM   #233
Cleon
King of the Pod People

In mine as well, and then only jokingly.
Old 27th April 2009, 08:20 PM   #234
1337m4n
Alphanumeric Anonymous Stick Man

Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
Fags is not used in a derogatory fashion, it is a term of endearment.

"The evidence that the attacks of 9/11 were an inside job just keeps not coming in." --pomeroo
1337m4n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2009, 06:47 AM   #235
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Quite. It depends on the group as well, but it is part of that whole "reclaiming" thing.

Only British hets get away with using fag.

hets?
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2009, 07:00 AM   #236
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Most of my gay friends use "fag" all the time. Usually accompanied by "raging" or "dirty". They're kinda weird like that.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2009, 07:01 AM   #237
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
hets?
Heterosexuals.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:34 PM   #238
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Most homosexuals I know do use the word "fag" however, they don't appreciate the term being used about them by non-homosexuals. Yes, it's not logical, but since they find it offensive, I don't use the word myself.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2009, 12:44 PM   #239
Skeptic
Banned

Quote:
Skeptic stopped posting here because he has no rational argument. Every argument he's made has been fallacy and fabrication. I suspect he's against gay marriage because of the reason most anti-gaymarriage people are against it.
Oh, nonsense. I can't say I'm surpised -- this sort of ad hominem is the usual sort of "psychoanalysis" of those who disagree with the "progressive" left about someting: they don't agree with ME, so they must be evil or stupid, or mentally unstable (e.g., in this case, "homophobe" or "closet homosexual" or "in denial" or something).

To the point, and ignoring the usual ad hominem, the problem is that it is obvious that the pro-gay-marriage will not stop at having the people decide if to recognize gay marriage or not. It will be invented as a "Constitutional right" and these folks will go directly to the courts, the people be damned.

Since the courts recently see themselves, not as upholders of the law, but as maverick leaders who need to show the benighted masses what magical "rights" the Constitution REALLY has in it -- such as the "right" to abortion, to gay marriage, etc. (these are special clothes, I mean Constitutional rights: only wise men can see them), the only way to stop such a thing is to amend the Constitution itself to explicitly disallow such nonsense.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2009, 12:54 PM   #240
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Since the courts recently see themselves, not as upholders of the law, but as maverick leaders who need to show the benighted masses what magical "rights" the Constitution REALLY has in it -- such as the "right" to abortion, to gay marriage, etc. (these are special clothes, I mean Constitutional rights: only wise men can see them), the only way to stop such a thing is to amend the Constitution itself to explicitly disallow such nonsense.
So you are for unfair discrimination against a group that has no benefit to anyone, as long as it is sufficiently popular? You can strip any group of rights as long as there is no specific constitutional protection for them having those rights with a simple majority vote?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics