IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags judicial activism charges , newt gingrich

Old 28th March 2005, 12:35 PM   #1
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Newt defends Congress, attacks secularism

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich defended Congress' actions in the Terri Schiavo case.

He said he thinks Schiavo will have a lasting impact on America.

"I think you're going to find that the underlying impact of this is going to be greater anger at judges and greater anger at a secular state that would impose this kind of killing on an innocent person," Gingrich said.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2005/3/28/76068.html

Yep, the EVIL secularists are in the business of killing innocent people for S and G's..
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2005, 12:45 PM   #2
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I'd love to have someone ask him how we could be a non-secular state without violating the Establishment clause.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Is anyone else disturbed by the notion that the GOP is actively urging disrespect for the judicial branch? Anytime a court issues a decision with which one disagrees (whether one understands the issues or not) is deserving of scorn.

Little Bush has previously made "activist judges" the booger men that compel a need for a constitutional amendment to prohibit same-sex unions. Other GOP notables have asserted that judges who issue unpopular decisions do not understand their roles in government, which is an insult of the highest caliber.

Judges sometimes issue unpopular decisions. That "goes with the territory"; it is part of what being a judge is all about. It is wrong to suggest that, just because judges issue unpopular decisions, there is something wrong with the system in general or the judges in particular.

Anyone who thinks that judges ought to adhere to a certain political ideology and let that ideology drive their decisions maybe ought to view the movie "Judgment at Nuremburg," which explores the issue in depth.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2005, 02:20 PM   #4
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Brown
Is anyone else disturbed by the notion that the GOP is actively urging disrespect for the judicial branch?
I'm not sure what bothers me more, that or the blatent attempts by the GOP to impose government interference into everything.

The GOP used to be the party of "small government." Heck, isn't that what Newt tried to sell as an old-time republican?
Old 28th March 2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Brown:

Is anyone else disturbed by the notion that the GOP is actively urging disrespect for the judicial branch?
Yes. Extremely.

And I'm registered Republican.

I have been for some time, though, feartful of this administration.

I can't say I've decided to become a Democrat but I have written to my representatives expressing my outrage over this and previous matters stating that I will no longer vote Republican.

--

This issue has sort of cemented it for me, though it was Limbaugh and Hannity who did it.

Both of them had spoke about (Limbaugh did it himself; Hannity had a guest) the "activist judges" who are killing T.S.

I had a conniption. The judges are being anything but activist. They simply refused to overturn previous decisions after Congress got involved.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2005, 02:24 PM   #6
Ladyhawk
Muse

Re: Newt defends Congress, attacks secularism

Quote:
Originally posted by thaiboxerken
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich defended Congress' actions in the Terri Schiavo case.

He said he thinks Schiavo will have a lasting impact on America.

"I think you're going to find that the underlying impact of this is going to be greater anger at judges and greater anger at a secular state that would impose this kind of killing on an innocent person," Gingrich said.

Apparently, good ol' Newt hasn't seen Bush's recent drop in approval ratings. And I hope he's right. I hope the Schiavo case does have a lasting impact on America. I won't soon forget how the Congress was manipulated to placate the relgious right in this country. And I guarantee you, I'll remember the Schiavo case come 2008.
Old 28th March 2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

It's really hard to take Newt seriously. When some folks in Congress proposed that every citizen ought to have a right to health care, Newt fought against it. For that matter, he pretty consistently took the position that those most in need deserved less help, and that health care for other people was a fine idea just as long as he and the insurance companies didn't have to pay for it.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2005, 02:56 PM   #8
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Newt defends Congress, attacks secularism

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladyhawk
Apparently, good ol' Newt hasn't seen Bush's recent drop in approval ratings. And I hope he's right. I hope the Schiavo case does have a lasting impact on America. I won't soon forget how the Congress was manipulated to placate the relgious right in this country. And I guarantee you, I'll remember the Schiavo case come 2008.
The ratings do seem to indicate an "Oh crap, they were right about Bush ..." response, and/or a misunderstanding of people's concerns and priorities. I don't see this behaviour winning any converts, just pandering to the convinced core vote. Nader's prospects for 2008 are looking up.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2005, 09:34 PM   #9
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Brown
It's really hard to take Newt seriously...
[Newt]

Must. Regain. Notoriety.

[/Newt]
Old 28th March 2005, 09:53 PM   #10
crimresearch
Alumbrado

"Judges sometimes issue unpopular decisions"

Yeah it is pretty much their job to make rulings that are going to seem unfair to the losing side of the dispute.

But these attempts to dismantle the system of checks and balances are scary stuff.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics