ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , mediums , psychics

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #721
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Another thing is an acquired talent
study and work, which is therefore a property of the
which of course is allowed to take advantage. But mediumship does not
It is neither an art nor a talent, so it cannot become a profession.

It's just my opinion.
And yet, people make tons of money from it.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #722
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I'm from Portugal
I'm using google translator
I can't write much.
Understood, but you might want to find a forum in your native language that will let you communicate easier.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #723
Cris
Scholar

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
You're bouncing between incompatible arguments. Your first argument was that mediums, like Jesus, shouldn't charge money to help people. This sort of implies that the help is genuine. Now you've inexplicably changed horses and are arguing that since mediumship carries a high risk of failure, it is unconscionable to take money for it. This implies that the help is ineffective if not outright fraudulent. What's your real argument?
it was a translation error.
Cris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #724
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Okay, how general should it be? And should it be about the future or the present?
The more general the question, the easier it will be to relate the images to your circumstances.

Could I say something like, "Will my life improve after I finish getting this degree?"
That's perfect. Do you want to run with that?

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #725
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

mediumship cannot become a profession. that is my opinion.
That's not an opinion; it's an allegation of fact. It is roundly refuted by the plain observation that professional mediums abound.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #726
Cris
Scholar

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And yet, people make tons of money from it.
This happens a lot in American culture. Unfortunately. it has to be used for charity.
Cris is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #727
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

it was a translation error.
No, it can't be. You're deploying two entirely dissimilar arguments.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #728
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This happens a lot in American culture. Unfortunately. it has to be used for charity.
It happens a lot all over the world.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #729
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

No, it doesn't. There are people who make their living as mediums, and not just in the United States. They keep the money and use it for themselves.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #730
Cris
Scholar

That's not an opinion; it's an allegation of fact. It is roundly refuted by the plain observation that professional mediums abound.
this is sad.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #731
Cris
Scholar

No, it doesn't. There are people who make their living as mediums, and not just in the United States. They keep the money and use it for themselves.
opportunity for Quackery.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #732
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

this is sad.
Agreed, insofar as it relies on deception and creates a detrimental reliance, or is otherwise predatory. But as I said, if you treat it like stage magic and are entertained by the performance, I see no ethical problem with paying for that service.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #733
Cris
Scholar

Understood, but you might want to find a forum in your native language that will let you communicate easier.
I was born in Portugal in Europe, but now I'm living in Brazil.
In Brazil and Portugal the skepticism forums do not have good quality like this one.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #734
Cris
Scholar

Agreed, insofar as it relies on deception and creates a detrimental reliance, or is otherwise predatory. But as I said, if you treat it like stage magic and are entertained by the performance, I see no ethical problem with paying for that service.
what is mediumship for you?
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #735
Cris
Scholar

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Cris, this is a quotation. Please give us the source, a link if it is online, or the name of the book or article if it is not online.
It was my interpretation of a text.
sorry, it was a mistake translating google translator.

Last edited by Cris; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #736
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Another thing is an acquired talent
study and work, which is therefore a property of the
which of course is allowed to take advantage. But mediumship does not
It is neither an art nor a talent, so it cannot become a profession.

It's just my opinion.
It is neither an art nor a talent because it isn't real and doesn't exist under anything resembling testable conditions. People shouldn't charge for it because it's made-up nonsense and BS.

If it did exist, mediums could still charge for it, I think. People would be taking up their time, and it would probably be rather emotionally draining talking to ghosts all day. Why shouldn't they be compensated?

Last edited by isissxn; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #737
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The more general the question, the easier it will be to relate the images to your circumstances.

That's perfect. Do you want to run with that?
All right, let's do it! Tarot time.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #738
Cris
Scholar

It is neither an art nor a talent because it isn't real and doesn't exist under anything resembling testable conditions. People shouldn't charge for it because it's made-up nonsense and BS.

If it did exist, mediums could still charge for it, I think. People would be taking up their time, and it would probably be rather emotionally draining talking to ghosts all day. Why shouldn't they be compensated?
what is your definition of ghosts and spirits?
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #739
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

All right, let's do it! Tarot time.
I'll try to remember to do the reading tonight, after work.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #740
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded

You alredy asked this and got two or three answers, in two or three different conversations.

Why are you repeating questions? Do you hope for answers that agree better with your beliefs?

What is your definition of ghosts and spirits?
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #741
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

what is mediumship for you?
In the abstract, mediumship is the claim to interact with supernatural beings, most often the spirits of the dead. No, I don't believe there are people who can really accomplish this. I believe they're all faking it. But the ability to fake it well can have value as entertainment. And, in fact, commercially successful mediums in the United States bill their services as entertainment only, whether the audience chooses to believe it or not. In terms of what I'm personally willing to pay for, this doesn't seem immoral. I would consider it an unfair trade only if the "medium" weren't very skilled at faking the interaction with spirits.

In contrast, this thread is largely the discussion of what factors lead to less morally acceptable things like deception and preying on vulnerable people. And those familiar with the industry are telling us there's a lot of that. No, I don't approve morally of making one's living by deceiving others.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #742
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Geniuses are born with better brains...should they not make money from this skill?

Michael Jordan was born with better genes to play basketball than the rest of us, should he not make money from this skill?

Mediums were born....just like the rest of us. They have no skills. I rescind my argument.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #743
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I don't believe in either. In my post, I was using "ghost" to mean "spirit of dead person," but I don't think that is a real thing.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #744
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I quoted Jesus, just as an example.
The medium should use this gift to help people for free. You should never require money to help people.
Then how is the "helper" supposed to pay for a place to sleep for the night? To pay for breakfast?

Do you pay your doctor to diagnose and cure your illnesses? Or is he supposed to do it for free?

Please apply a modicum of thinking before spouting your random oracular pronouncements.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal