IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:33 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Hey, who's going to this weekend's Antivaxxer Convention?

Let's get a carpool going!

While COVID still rages, anti-vaccine activists will gather for a big conference

Quote:
The coronavirus pandemic continues to claim thousands of lives a week ó mostly people who aren't vaccinated. But that's not stopping a major gathering of anti-vaccine advocates and conspiracy theorists in Nashville, Tenn., this weekend.

The event is being orchestrated by Tennessee couple Ty and Charlene Bollinger. They have been labeled as some of the nation's biggest vaccine misinformation superspreaders.

"If we're superspreaders, we're superspreaders of the truth," Charlene Bollinger says. "We have countless testimonies of people that are alive today because of our work, and this is straight from heaven. God has put us on this Earth for such a time as this."

The Bollingers got their start by promoting unproven alternatives to chemotherapy. Then they cashed in on their DVDs that push falsehoods about vaccines.
The guest list is the usual gang of buttholes and idiots.

Quote:
"Right here in Tennessee, now we've got Candace Owens, we've got Ben Shapiro, Tomi Lahren," she says. "A lot of local freedom fighters."
Quote:
The event's lineup will reflect those political views and feature Donald Trump's son Eric and longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone.
I hope they all get it and croak.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 08:04 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

While COVID still rages, anti-vaccine activists will gather for a big conference

98% of those Australians in hospital with covid are unvaccinated.

The unvaxxed deserve everything that comes their way.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 01:29 AM   #3
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
98% of those Australians in hospital with covid are unvaccinated.

The unvaxxed deserve everything that comes their way.
Speaking of Candace Owens and Aussies, maybe she'll roll out a more detailed plan...

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/wat...ade-australia/

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:10 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Speaking of Candace Owens and Aussies, maybe she'll roll out a more detailed plan...

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/wat...ade-australia/

I saw that. It gave me the biggest laugh for ages.

No doubt if she was in charge troops would now be descending on a country in Europe as we speak.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:15 AM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Can we tell some muslins the antivax is a front for anti-muslims? With any luck someone will bomb the place.
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:24 AM   #6
Warp12
Illuminator

Quote:
Charlene Bollinger calls Tennessee an ideal place to host an event like this one. She says the state has recently become home to many conservative pundits who have questioned aspects of the COVID-19 vaccine, as well as vaccine mandates.

"Right here in Tennessee, now we've got Candace Owens, we've got Ben Shapiro, Tomi Lahren," she says. "A lot of local freedom fighters."
Did you read the article? It doesn't say that any of those people are attending (if they are, source?). Shapiro is certainly not an "Antivaxxer".
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:35 AM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Did you read the article? It doesn't say that any of those people are attending (if they are, source?). Shapiro is certainly not an "Antivaxxer".
WTF?

The article is reporting an anti vaxxer rally. This is what this thread is about

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:41 AM   #8
Warp12
Illuminator

WTF?

The article is reporting an anti vaxxer rally. This is what this thread is about
Go back and read a little more, is all I can say. Starting at the first post...and the "guest list" statement.

Last edited by Warp12; 23rd October 2021 at 02:44 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:59 AM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Go back and read a little more, is all I can say. Starting at the first post...and the "guest list" statement.
Who cares. Still a rally of idiots.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd October 2021, 03:37 AM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

I saw a clip of Candace Owens talking about Australia. Now, I could have got this wrong, and when it comes to Candace Owens all bets are most definitley off, but I got the impression she was making more of a rhetorical (albeit stupid) argument.

Rather than her genuinely calling for an invasion of Australia, I thought it was a really bad false moral equivalance of other places such as Afghanistan. As in "Oh sure, we invaded Afghanistan coz apparently the Taliban are so bad, but when are we going to invade Australia who are just as bad, huh?"

Although, I don't know which is more charitable. Taking it at face value, or my assumption that she was being ironic.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 05:45 AM   #11
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Quite the opposite here. In a couple of hours I am taking my family to get our flu vaxxes. I don't anticipate encountering any antivaxxers at all.
Old 23rd October 2021, 06:18 AM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Quite the opposite here. In a couple of hours I am taking my family to get our flu vaxxes. I don't anticipate encountering any antivaxxers at all.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 06:32 AM   #13
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They're Trump supporters too. I hope a lot of people from swing states come.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:31 PM   #14
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Please encourage them to meet. The more the better. Since they have no issue with 750,000 US dead from COVID and no end in sight, at least they can concentrate on killing the most suitable candidates to end the crisis.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:34 PM   #15
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Flu vax completed. Goes well with our double COVID 19 vaxes. Looking forward to boosters being approved.
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:57 PM   #16
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The face when you're in a room full of buttholes and idiots - and in comes shemp.
auf dem Thron
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 01:04 PM   #17
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Please encourage them to meet. The more the better. Since they have no issue with 750,000 US dead from COVID and no end in sight, at least they can concentrate on killing the most suitable candidates to end the crisis.
Indeed.
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:30 PM   #18
mgidm86
Philosopher

Shotgun!

I'm in, just let me grab my jars of polio, covid and influenza.

Stop feeding the trolls PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:18 PM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well in Australia the unvaxxed won’t be able to go into a pub. That’s as close to banishment as you can get here.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:37 PM   #20
shemp

Well in Australia the unvaxxed wonít be able to go into a pub. Thatís as close to banishment as you can get here.
Now THAT'S cruel and inhuman!

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 01:20 AM   #21
sphenisc
Philosopher

Well in Australia the unvaxxed wonít be able to go into a pub. Thatís as close to banishment as you can get here.
The trick there is go into the pub before the ban starts, and then never leave.
Old 24th October 2021, 02:06 AM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
The trick there is go into the pub before the ban starts, and then never leave.
Good theory, but they needed to go into the pub in late July (when our latest lockdown started) and stay there until now.

Not such a bad idea really.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 27th October 2021, 01:14 AM   #23
catsmate
No longer the 1

Now THAT'S cruel and inhuman!
It's the same in Ireland, and has caused a surge in vaccinations, Basically to go anywhere you need proof of vaccination/recovery.
An excellent idea.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2021, 02:59 AM   #24
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
It's the same in Ireland, and has caused a surge in vaccinations, Basically to go anywhere you need proof of vaccination/recovery.
An excellent idea.
Agreed. The test will be the will of businesses to properly check vaccination status. I visited a business (motor mechanic) at the same time covid inspectors visited. They were calm, respectful and helpful. After running through their checklist, they gave them a tick.

If every business treated the rules seriously, there will be no problems with opening up.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 27th October 2021, 03:06 AM   #25
Mr Fied
Muse

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
An excellent idea.
***sigh***

If only Boris and his fellow clowns would make decisions for the good of the country instead of their own headlines and poll ratings.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 08:42 AM   #26
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

I will put the Gaylord Center on my list of "Carlitos will not send any event business to this venue" list. What a bunch of ********.

When you title your event "The Truth About Cancer" you are attracting a self-selected bunch of idiots. Morons with broken baloney-detection meters, who actually believe those ads for "one simple trick" to triple your fuel economy or whatever.

I really do pity these people, whose brains are so broken that they can't see the actual world around them and how great most of it is.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 10:47 AM   #27
Armitage72
Philosopher

There was a joke I heard in a beer commercial years ago.

In what month do Australians drink the least amount of beer?
February. It has the least number of days.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 12:21 PM   #28
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Who said Shapiro is attending?

If you had read the article, you'd have read the following:
Originally Posted by NPR
The event is being orchestrated by Tennessee couple Ty and Charlene Bollinger.

...snip...

Charlene Bollinger calls Tennessee an ideal place to host an event like this one. She says the state has recently become home to many conservative pundits who have questioned aspects of the COVID-19 vaccine, as well as vaccine mandates.

So an organizer of the event name-dropped Ben Shapiro, even though he is not an anti-vaxxer, as though he supported the anti-vax tribe.

Why did she do that?
  • Maybe because Charlene Bollinger is an idiot.
  • Maybe because Ben Shapiro is an idiot* who (according to Bollinger) has "questioned aspects of the COVID-19 vaccine", and Charlene just naturally assumed idiots like Ben Shapiro belong to her tribe.
  • Maybe because Charlene Bollinger is trying to drum up attendance by mentioning idiots who are popular with the tribe she hopes will attend.
  • et cetera

*Whether Ben Shapiro is as much of an idiot as Charlene Bollinger could be debated. In op-eds dated 6 August 2021 and 7 August 2021, Shapiro wrote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shapiro
....fewer than 400 Americans per day are dying of COVID-19....

The current delta variant spike has resulted in a massive case count, particularly in Florida, but deaths are not following cases — and if the United States follows the pattern of the United Kingdom and the Netherlands, we’re likely to see the case count begin to crater in the next few weeks. Those who are vaccinated are not dying of COVID-19; their death rate is minuscule. Those who are unvaccinated have chosen not to vaccinate; they are independent adults capable of determining their own approach to risk and reward.
As seen in that quotation, Shapiro acknowledges the unvaccinated have chosen their much greater risk.

Shapiro's hope that the case count would "begin to crater in the next few weeks" did not come to pass. What did happen: daily deaths increased from about 400 to over 1500 2000.

Last edited by W.D.Clinger; 28th October 2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: see strikeout and text in gray
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 01:36 PM   #29
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the upcoming 'Antivaxxer Convention' because it conflicts with the 'Wild, Crazy, Lonely, Desperate for any Man, Super-Hot Strippers Convention' that I had already planned to attend.

So maybe I can attend the next Anti-Vaxxer Convention instead.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 02:00 PM   #30
shemp

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the upcoming 'Antivaxxer Convention' because it conflicts with the 'Wild, Crazy, Lonely, Desperate for any Man, Super-Hot Strippers Convention' that I had already planned to attend.

The next one may have a much smaller attendance.

Old 28th October 2021, 02:08 PM   #31
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

In what way would this be a "convention"? Spray a little scented baby oil around and it becomes...

...sorry, I just didn't get the brochure in the mail so I'm pissed off I was not at least invited.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 07:46 PM   #32
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose that at at least one of them you will not have to wear a mask. (Or even be allowed to wear one.)
Old 29th October 2021, 06:16 AM   #33
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Aw shucks! That is an excellent point.

While I will surely miss those future attendees of the next Anti-Vax Convention, but I am still not willing to miss the 'Wild, Crazy, Lonely, Desperate for any Man, Super-Hot Strippers Convention' that was I was planning to attend.

Therefore, during the next pandemic, I will make sure to avoid my double-booking problem.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 29th October 2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2021, 06:19 AM   #34
sphenisc
Philosopher

I suspect that applies to both.
Old 29th October 2021, 10:05 AM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Being held at Opryland, I see. Fits.
Old 29th October 2021, 03:14 PM   #36
deadrose
Illuminator

Ah, Tennessee, where my 2 relatives that died of COVID lived. Where the small FB group that covers life in my mother's home town has been posting a steady stream of obituaries. That Tennessee.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events