IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2021, 07:24 AM   #521
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Someone just asked me what day I'd be doing the December 1 data pulls. I told him we could talk about that in the 9:00 call if he'd let me know what time that would be happening.
Old 29th November 2021, 02:09 PM   #522
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Them "We didn't get a lot of information on the change."
Us "The detail was left out because you are the experts."
Me "And it should have been an incident because it was your failure to create the rules correctly in the first place over 30 months ago"

Had to be said
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 05:47 PM   #523
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
1200 baud? Luxury! We had 2 tin cans and a string but it was an internet to us.
Oh, well, aren't you posh? We had to transcribe binary code from smoke signals onto punch cards. We're hopeful that our torrent of Weird Al's movie "UHF" will be ready in only 99 to 100 generations.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 09:02 PM   #524
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Oh, well, aren't you posh? We had to transcribe binary code from smoke signals onto punch cards. We're hopeful that our torrent of Weird Al's movie "UHF" will be ready in only 99 to 100 generations.
Pffft. REAL programmers program in binary.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 07:31 AM   #525
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Them "We didn't get a lot of information on the change."

Us "The detail was left out because you are the experts."

Me "And it should have been an incident because it was your failure to create the rules correctly in the first place over 30 months ago"

Had to be said
They did fix the database lag in development problem after a year and bit.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 09:28 AM   #526
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: if I've suggested that you need to run your request by your boss's boss's boss's boss, a senior vice president, before proceeding it means you probably shouldn't be asking that. It's a warning that your request is very questionable, and the question concerns your continued employment prospects. There are some areas in which we do not play. Take a hint and tread carefully.
Old 3rd December 2021, 07:25 AM   #527
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

After another round of tech support with my elderly mother: dear user, please try to prioritize in order of what's actually important. In this case: a potential Gmail account compromise. At stake: all her accounts everywhere, including the financial institutions where she keeps all her retirement money. Her main concern: the weather app on her phone stopped working. So while I'm trying to verify that she was the one who changed her password and recovered her account, she's fussing over being able to see the temperature on her phone. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:33 AM   #528
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
After another round of tech support with my elderly mother: dear user, please try to prioritize in order of what's actually important. In this case: a potential Gmail account compromise. At stake: all her accounts everywhere, including the financial institutions where she keeps all her retirement money. Her main concern: the weather app on her phone stopped working. So while I'm trying to verify that she was the one who changed her password and recovered her account, she's fussing over being able to see the temperature on her phone. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Get her the Frog-in-a-jar app.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:56 PM   #529
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Get her the rope-on-a-branch app.

Not only is it wireless, it doesn't even need batteries!
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:05 PM   #530
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Deleted. thought I was responding to a much needed post and I wasn't.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 3rd December 2021 at 04:03 PM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:07 PM   #531
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

And my mom's technical problems are exacerbated by my sister constantly giving her the latest trendy gadgets. Which is generous, but extremely unwelcome. My mom doesn't want a thermostat she can control from her phone, and not from the actual wall. And of course the app doesn't work correctly so the heat keeps lowering itself. She didn't need a damn Alexa that if you scream at it several times it will switch on a single lamp in the living room. You know lamps, those things that if you want them on you can just twist a little button on them? She certainly didn't want a TV so "smart" it needs three remotes and fifteen minutes of guesswork to turn on to watch anything. I'm dreading what electronic gizmo she'll be giving her this Xmas.
Old Today, 07:43 PM   #532
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
And my mom's technical problems are exacerbated by my sister constantly giving her the latest trendy gadgets. Which is generous, but extremely unwelcome. My mom doesn't want a thermostat she can control from her phone, and not from the actual wall. And of course the app doesn't work correctly so the heat keeps lowering itself. She didn't need a damn Alexa that if you scream at it several times it will switch on a single lamp in the living room. You know lamps, those things that if you want them on you can just twist a little button on them? She certainly didn't want a TV so "smart" it needs three remotes and fifteen minutes of guesswork to turn on to watch anything. I'm dreading what electronic gizmo she'll be giving her this Xmas.
Take out all the batteries.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet