ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 05:49 AM   #3961
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You don't stop being a con artist just because you don't rip off everyone.
Trump foundation, Trump University and of course all golf tournaments and charitable events he ran are enough to establish him as a cheat and con man.
Maybe some got lucky dealing with him, but that hardly absolves him.
Old 26th June 2019, 06:00 AM   #3962
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

enjoy!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...s?utm_campaign
Old 26th June 2019, 06:21 AM   #3963
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump’s Child Detention Camps Cost $775 Per Person Every Day — The daily cost for a child in a detention camp is more than a stay in a deluxe room at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.
https://www.gq.com/story/trump-detention-camps-cost
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 06:26 AM   #3964
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump’s Child Detention Camps Cost $775 Per Person Every Day — The daily cost for a child in a detention camp is more than a stay in a deluxe room at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.
https://www.gq.com/story/trump-detention-camps-cost
Seems like the logical solution is to put them up at Trump hotels, then. Trump wouldn't mind, he'd be making money off it.
Old 26th June 2019, 06:35 AM   #3965
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

tds
Old 26th June 2019, 06:37 AM   #3966
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Do you know how many small entrepreneurs have done business successfully with Trump. We do know some have claimed he has stiffed them. Probably some are right probably some of them are not. He has been in thousands of deals probably most involving many contractors etc.
In spite of being well known for stiffing the small guy he has been able to get people to work with him.

Who am I distracting with a cloud of FUD. Whatever that is.
If a man interacts with thousands of people, yet only murders 1% of them, he's a mass murderer. What percentage of contractors is Trump allowed to stiff before you will allow him to be called a con artist?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 07:53 AM   #3967
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
If a man interacts with thousands of people, yet only murders 1% of them, he's a mass murderer. What percentage of contractors is Trump allowed to stiff before you will allow him to be called a con artist?
Can you imagine having to use this as a defense? "Ok, so we know he's stiffed a bunch of people, but how many HASN'T he stiffed is the important question."

Wait, isn't that proving a negative? I don't think arguments work like that.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 07:57 AM   #3968
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
You don't stop being a con artist just because you don't rip off everyone.
Trump foundation, Trump University and of course all golf tournaments and charitable events he ran are enough to establish him as a cheat and con man.
Maybe some got lucky dealing with him, but that hardly absolves him.
One of the difficulties in calculating precise numbers is that when President Trump hired small contractors, he would have them sign a non-disclosure agreement. Then when it came time to make the final payment, he would postpone and postpone before explaining that he had a large team of lawyers and that the stiffed contractors were welcome to bring a lawsuit but with the continuances that would be filed, even a win might produce very little money after the contractors’ lawyers’ fee were subtracted. He would then offer to pay perhaps 50 cents on the dollar if they signed an agreement to not divulge the size of the final payment.
Old 26th June 2019, 08:00 AM   #3969
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Can you imagine having to use this as a defense? "Ok, so we know he's stiffed a bunch of people, but how many HASN'T he stiffed is the important question."

"What about all the times I didn't wear a tutu to school? Why doesn't anybody ever talk about those?!" -Milhouse van Houten
Old 26th June 2019, 08:06 AM   #3970
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Let's be clear here, I wasn't talking about intentions. I was talking about actual actions. They certainly are troublemakers, but war wasn't really even seriously in question until Trump and his Administration acted in a distinctly provocative manner. As for the Iran deal, specifically? I was opposed to pulling out of it without good justification. The Trump Administration didn't even remotely present good justification or even make a meaningful effort to do things as a united front with the rest of the parties involved in the Iran deal, then proceeded to make things even worse.
Not presented an even remotely good justification?

President Trump’s supporters believe he presented an unimpeachable justification: the Iran deal was negotiated while Barack Obama was president!

Last edited by Ladewig; 26th June 2019 at 08:08 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 08:13 AM   #3971
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

Years ago I read about a local scrap yard that was being sued by their neighbor because their metal shredder would occasionally produce explosions that would send pieces of metal flying into the neighbor's yard. Part of their defense was that their shredder produced far less explosions than other scrap yards.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 08:53 AM   #3972
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"What about all the times I didn't wear a tutu to school? Why doesn't anybody ever talk about those?!" -Milhouse van Houten
I built all these houses. They don't call me Antonio the House builder. But you **** one goat...
Old 26th June 2019, 09:10 AM   #3973
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

"Eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal".
Old 26th June 2019, 12:40 PM   #3974
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Duplicate Post.

Last edited by Craig4; 26th June 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 01:04 PM   #3975
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod InfoThread closed due to size, continuation thread can be found here.
Posted By:Darat
Old 26th June 2019, 01:04 PM   #3976
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod InfoThread closed due to size, continuation thread can be found here.
Posted By:Darat

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics