ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd February 2020, 04:41 PM   #1681
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Big change put in by colleagues who sit a few feet from me, did they tell me, me who is on call today, anything about the change? Did they bugger

I despair
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:31 PM   #1682
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Gone again. I am now an expert in their change
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:11 PM   #1683
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Putting "URGENT!!!!" in the subject line of your email is a great way to not get your issue looked at urgently.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:17 AM   #1684
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Oh. I got promoted. As you were
Old 3rd February 2020, 06:41 AM   #1685
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Putting "URGENT!!!!" in the subject line of your email is a great way to not get your issue looked at urgently.
Oh no. The best troublecalls are...

1. Not sent via the actual official ticketing and tracking system but just e-mail directly to whichever IT who's name you can remember. Double points if this IT is off that day. Triple word score if it's sent to an IT who no longer even works here.

2. Is not actually for the person who sent the e-mail but for another person but doesn't actually say that anywhere.

3. Is just the subject line "NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!"

4. Contains no further information.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:56 AM   #1686
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

One of our guys went to China to visit friends and family over the new-years holiday. He'll be back tomorrow but due to site restrictions he's not allowed on site until 2 weeks after returning from China. Guess who just got next weeks hardware modification project dumped in his, previously outside the loop, lap?
Old 5th February 2020, 08:54 AM   #1687
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm gonna track down whoever thought it was a good idea to do bulk licensing for this software I'm having issues with based on MAC Address instead of IP or Machine Name and punch them in every genital they own.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 10:13 AM   #1688
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm gonna track down whoever thought it was a good idea to do bulk licensing for this software I'm having issues with based on MAC Address instead of IP or Machine Name and punch them in every genital they own.

Could be worse.

Remember dongles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th February 2020, 12:34 PM   #1689
Wudang
BOFH

My brother worked for an electronics company that used autocad. They bought official copies and locked the dongles away then ran hacked copies from the net that didn’t need dongles.
Old 7th February 2020, 08:32 AM   #1690
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
My brother worked for an electronics company that used autocad. They bought official copies and locked the dongles away then ran hacked copies from the net that didn’t need dongles.
It's normally easier running cracked copies than battling with the anti-piracy features.

....apparently
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 10:14 AM   #1691
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Many years ago that was the case for Maya. and 3ds Max, many a games developer genuinely used cracked copies because of the problems with dongles and software protection and not to avoid paying for seats.
Old 11th February 2020, 07:48 AM   #1692
Donal
Illuminator

If you ignore the emails to update your Active Directory password for 2 weeks and choose not to carry your fob with you, as is mandated by company policy, your password expiring is NOT an emergency. Someone coming to your desk is not going to resolve the issue because no one can generate the required security token.

Submit a request for a new fob and do the walk of shame to retrieve it. And next time, follow company policy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet