ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags literature puzzles , math puzzles

Old 23rd January 2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Guess What Book I Am Currently Reading

This book was officially released in the U.S. on Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020; though it had been released in a couple of other countries some time before then.

The main body of the book is about 311 pages long (or maybe 314, depending on how you count). However, the Index begins on page 4,294,967,292.

What book am I reading?

More hints will come, if needed.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

House Judiciary committee report?
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
House Judiciary committee report?
Nope. It's more fun than that!

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:43 AM   #4
sphenisc
Philosopher

Is it "A History of the Solar System, Year by Year"?
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:44 AM   #5
3point14
Pi

How thick would a book with four million pages be?!?

And (and this might be obvious) what's between page 312 and page four million and something??

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:59 AM   #6
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
How thick would a book with four million pages be?!?

And (and this might be obvious) what's between page 312 and page four million and something??
You're out by a factor of a thousand.
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Infinite Jest, II

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:18 PM   #8
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
You're out by a factor of a thousand.
Thank you!

The question still stands. But with more exclamation marks. Many more.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Armitage72
Illuminator

Googling that page number comes up with a lot of references to computer memory errors. In binary, it's 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111100. It's 232.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:23 PM   #10
Lothian
should be banned

Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:40 PM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

A book about maths or math.
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:42 PM   #12
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A Brief History of Pi?
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:02 PM   #13
Nova Land
/
Tagger

I haven't read it yet (or even seen a copy, for that matter, since the nearest book store is 35 miles away, which makes it a 3 1/2 hour bike ride to get there -- and it's raining today, not the greatest bike-riding weather) but I'm going to guess

Humble Pi: When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World

It's listed as being 336 pages rather than 311 or 314, but that would be the actual number of pages in the book. 311 is obviously not the actual number of pages, so I assume that's the number of pages containing the book's contents -- so if there are 25 pages of copyright information, content information, blank spaces, and whatever else, then a 336 page book could easily be what you're referring to.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:09 PM   #14
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Googling that page number comes up with a lot of references to computer memory errors. In binary, it's 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111100. It's 232.
Ah HA! A clue!!

Old 23rd January 2020, 03:10 PM   #15
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
A book about maths or math.
Yes, yes it is!

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
A Brief History of Pi?
Not quite, though.

Old 23rd January 2020, 03:19 PM   #16
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
but I'm going to guess
Your guess is correct! We have a winner!!

It's listed as being 336 pages rather than 311 or 314, but that would be the actual number of pages in the book.
Though, Googling for information isn't exactly fair. But, whatever.

Another clue I could have offered is...

...that the author once spoke at a TAM.

Anyway, it's a very good book, though a little below my level since I'm a computer programmer and most of the stuff in here is stuff I already heard before, and am already trained to avoid. I still recommend it, so far, to anyone who appreciates the history of things going wrong.

ETA: The thing about the index starting on 4,294,967,292 is a joke about binary integer rollovers.

...And, for that same reason all the pages numbers from 314 to 0 go backwards.

Last edited by Wowbagger; 23rd January 2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:55 PM   #17
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Your guess is correct! We have a winner!!

Though, Googling for information isn't exactly fair.

I didn't exactly Google for it. (I considered Googling for "books Wowbagger has read recently" but decided that would be cheating.)

What I did was go to BookRiot, which lists books which were released this past week, since you'd made a point of telling us the book was released January 21. I then read through the list of titles. It's a moderately long list, but I had a good idea of roughly what the title I was looking for would look like, and when I spotted the title in the list I knew immediately that was it.

But to be sure, I clicked the link which took me to the Amazon listing for the book. Since the other piece of information you had made a point of telling us was the number of pages, it seemed to me that a good way to confirm I had the right book was to see if the number of pages listed for the book was something a little larger than 311. It was. And the book title provided a good explanation of the number for the page where the index starts.

Date of publication, number of pages in the book. If we weren't supposed to use that information to find the answer you shouldn't have provided it.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 12:51 AM   #18
erwinl
Master Poster

This book was officially released in the U.S. on Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020; though it had been released in a couple of other countries some time before then.

The main body of the book is about 311 pages long (or maybe 314, depending on how you count). However, the Index begins on page 4,294,967,292.

What book am I reading?

More hints will come, if needed.
Good book.

I'd bought my copy in march, last year and gave it to Youngest after I finished it (he's studying Applied Maths).
Strange it took so long for the US to have it released there.
Old 24th January 2020, 02:42 AM   #19
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

...that the author once spoke at a TAM.
That author being, since he hasn't yet been named in this thread, the excellent Matt Parker.

(I've seen him a few times; he was, IIRC, the first speaker at Reading Skeptics in the Pub, and I've also seen him at QEDCon and Festival of the Spoken Nerd and Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People. )
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 01:28 PM   #20
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Date of publication, number of pages in the book. If we weren't supposed to use that information to find the answer you shouldn't have provided it.
Good enough.

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That author being, since he hasn't yet been named in this thread, the excellent Matt Parker.
Yup. He was part of a version of Festival of the Spoken Nerd at TAM13, the final TAM.

Old 25th January 2020, 09:59 AM   #21
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post

Strange it took so long for the US to have it released there.
Matt Parker ain't J.K. Rowling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 25th January 2020, 02:57 PM   #22
erwinl
Master Poster

Matt Parker ain't J.K. Rowling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thatís true. Thereís more humour in his book. :-)
But with todays global economies and Amazon being everywhere, I had expected differently.
Old 26th January 2020, 11:40 AM   #23
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

But with todays global economies and Amazon being everywhere, I had expected differently.
I could have gotten it earlier from Amazon.co.uk, but I decided to wait until I could buy it from a local book store. Sometimes, you gotta support your local book stores.

Old 26th January 2020, 11:49 AM   #24
erwinl
Master Poster

I could have gotten it earlier from Amazon.co.uk, but I decided to wait until I could buy it from a local book store. Sometimes, you gotta support your local book stores.
Very true. If possible, I do that as well.
Old 29th January 2020, 03:18 PM   #25
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I see that, for some reason, the original title was: Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors. I guess Americans are too dumb to get the Shakespeare reference?

Anyway, I just finished the book. Anyone want to figure out what the three intentional mistakes, that he left in the book were? I see there is a Reddit thread on this, with no clear answers. And, the ones I am checking for seem to be corrected in my edition, leading me to think they weren't the intentional ones.

Old 30th January 2020, 01:07 AM   #26
erwinl
Master Poster

I see that, for some reason, the original title was: Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors. I guess Americans are too dumb to get the Shakespeare reference?

Anyway, I just finished the book. Anyone want to figure out what the three intentional mistakes, that he left in the book were? I see there is a Reddit thread on this, with no clear answers. And, the ones I am checking for seem to be corrected in my edition, leading me to think they weren't the intentional ones.
I had found one. Where he describes the date where the calendar of the Iphone loses it. It's another date. And don't try it! It took me quite some time to reset the calendar so that it fiunctioned again.
Old 30th January 2020, 07:49 AM   #27
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I had found one. Where he describes the date where the calendar of the Iphone loses it. It's another date. And don't try it! It took me quite some time to reset the calendar so that it fiunctioned again.
That doesn't sound like an intentional one. I think it's more likely some iPhone models have different calendar failure dates than others.

Old 30th January 2020, 08:21 PM   #28
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Anyone want to figure out what the three intentional mistakes, that he left in the book were? I see there is a Reddit thread on this, with no clear answers. And, the ones I am checking for seem to be corrected in my edition, leading me to think they weren't the intentional ones.

Almost certainly one of them is that there are actually only two intentional mistakes.
Old 31st January 2020, 11:15 AM   #29
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Almost certainly one of them is that there are actually only two intentional mistakes.
I thought about that! He might be claiming there are three "intentional" mistakes, where there were actually none intended at all. And then, the first three mistakes people notice, he could claim to be the intentional ones. Anything after that, and he's on his own, I guess.

But, first of all, I'm not the first person to hold that theory. It's been theorized by almost anyone who read the book, pretty much. Anyone could see through that sort of ruse.

And, second of all, it doesn't explain the fact that some early-caught mistakes were corrected in later editions.

Old 1st February 2020, 08:56 PM   #30
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I thought about that! He might be claiming there are three "intentional" mistakes, where there were actually none intended at all. And then, the first three mistakes people notice, he could claim to be the intentional ones. Anything after that, and he's on his own, I guess.

But, first of all, I'm not the first person to hold that theory. It's been theorized by almost anyone who read the book, pretty much. Anyone could see through that sort of ruse.

And, second of all, it doesn't explain the fact that some early-caught mistakes were corrected in later editions.

Makes sense, but I was referring to the common puzzle/paradox, usually stated in a form like, "Their are three misteaks in this sentence." The third mistake being that the sentence misrepresents the number of mistakes, because there are actually only two. (But if that's the third mistake, then saying there are three mistakes isn't a mistake, so there are really only two mistakes after all, etc.)

Paradox or not, if the claim that there are three deliberate mistakes in the book is actually stated in the book, as I'm assuming, then that claim itself could be one of the deliberate mistakes. Possibly the only one (in which case, no paradox).
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:15 AM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Quote:
Guess What Book I Am Currently Reading
And to My Nephew Albert I Leave the Island What I Won off Fatty Hagan in a Poker Game
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 08:46 AM   #32
Senex
Philosopher

Yes, the collected works of Penthouse Forum 1987-1989 counts as a book.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts