ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th August 2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Diablo
Muse

Likes and alerts

It's a pity there is no provision for 'Likes' here, as well as 'Alerts' when someone likes or quotes your posts. Are there any plans to introduce them?
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2018, 09:08 AM   #2
kellyb
Philosopher

No!
Likes in particular are antithetical to skepticism and the development of critical thinking.
Alerts are bad for concentration.

Old 19th August 2018, 09:40 AM   #3
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
This particular topic has been discussed more than once. As far as I can remember, there has never been enough agreement to warrant the administrators of the forum to investigate whether the software allows likes and alerts.

To see the threads, try searching in the Forum management part of the members only section.
Old 19th August 2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Diablo
Muse

Pity. I kind of like them and they keep me alert. I think they are compatible with skepticism, although others might be skeptical about that.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Pity. I kind of like them and they keep me alert. I think they are compatible with skepticism, although others might be skeptical about that.
I think like buttons are bad for dialogue on forums, too. I've seen forums before that went from not having them to installing them, and the post count went down in direct proportion to the usage of the like button.

The thing about alertness and concentration with alerts is (there's actual evidence of this in some paper somewhere) receiving notifications functions as a form of multitasking, where people's reading comprehension abilities go down as a result of the distraction. The effect isn't necessarily huge, but it's real and measurable.
Old 19th August 2018, 03:26 PM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Wait until the software gets upgraded. Then it can tell you if you have been quoted. But we have been waiting for years for that.
Old 19th August 2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I think like buttons are bad for dialogue on forums, too. I've seen forums before that went from not having them to installing them, and the post count went down in direct proportion to the usage of the like button.
Right. Because it's important to a forum's cred to keep all those "thumbs up", "just a smilie" and "+1" posts.
Imagine the "eyeroll" right... here -->

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2018, 07:59 PM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The SGUForum implemented a Like button a couple of years ago. It hasn't been a disaster for the forum. There is no corresponding Dislike facility.
Old 20th August 2018, 03:41 AM   #9
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The SGUForum implemented a Like button a couple of years ago. It hasn't been a disaster for the forum. There is no corresponding Dislike facility.
Closest I've seen on a web forum is... about ten months ago, one of the two boards I use that use likes & alerts (damn, forgot the software name) added the updated "like" functionality. Now there are a selection of eight or so (can only select one per post though)... as I recall, like, agree, disagree, funny, helpful, etc.
Can't see them in Tapa so I've forgotten most of what's available. It's a useful improvement actually.

Tapa on its own gives alerts if you get quoted, which I like... the rare times it happens.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 05:18 AM   #10
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Closest I've seen on a web forum is... about ten months ago, one of the two boards I use that use likes & alerts (damn, forgot the software name) added the updated "like" functionality. Now there are a selection of eight or so (can only select one per post though)... as I recall, like, agree, disagree, funny, helpful, etc.
Can't see them in Tapa so I've forgotten most of what's available. It's a useful improvement actually.

Tapa on its own gives alerts if you get quoted, which I like... the rare times it happens.

There, fixed for you!

That's the functionality I miss, an alert when quoted.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
There, fixed for you!

That's the functionality I miss, an alert when quoted.
Ha! Sucker.

Wait wait, come back. I didn't mean it.
But while I've got you here... let me tell you about this amazing investment opportunity. Trust me.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 20th August 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:49 AM   #12
Diablo
Muse

Ha! Sucker.

Wait wait, come back. I didn't mean it.
But while I've got you here... let me tell you about this amazing investment opportunity. Trust me.
You sound like an idiot.
Old 20th August 2018, 12:15 PM   #13
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The other thing Tapa does is PM alerts. I like that as I already have a SPAM choked mailbox so I keep mail alerts (all of them) turned off.

Though it is usually just AutoMod that talks to me.

Old 20th August 2018, 07:57 PM   #14
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

This is cool to know. We can now drive Tapa users as crazy as that notice on the screen used to drive us?

Can we ask the admins for a database with all the Tapatalk users and the hours when they least want to see notifications pop up on their mobiles?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 01:21 AM   #15
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Ooh hey... I got quoted again... oh, never mind.

Old 21st August 2018, 02:27 AM   #16
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

The alerts thing really is useful, and I'm certain it drives posting rates up. Every time you are quoted, pm'd, or someone does that @username thing, you get an alert. I'd welcome that here.

Likes? Nah, a bit childish and clique-forming for this place, I reckon.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 02:57 AM   #17
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The alerts thing really is useful, and I'm certain it drives posting rates up. Every time you are quoted, pm'd, or someone does that @username thing, you get an alert. I'd welcome that here.

Likes? Nah, a bit childish and clique-forming for this place, I reckon.
In "options" you can choose to receive an email when someone sends you a pm.

I don't think people use @name much.

I haven't seen forums where you get an email when quoted. It would be neat. If you go you subscribed threads in the quick links menu there is a tick box where you can get an email if someone posts in the thread but that would not be selective.

However I am outraged by your suggestion that anything could be too childish for this place. Are you totally unfamiliar with the politics section?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2018, 05:03 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Remember, the forum is running on software that largely predates a lot of social media conventions. I mean, we still have links to Digg, del.icio.us and StumbeUpon at the bottom of each thread. I'm pretty sure that the forum software doesn't support @-mentions. Until and unless we get a software upgrade, a lot of functions which we are accustomed to from other media just won't work here.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics