IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th March 2021, 04:35 AM   #2121
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
If he's smart
Well, there’s your problem

Quote:
(or can follow a smart playbook)
Well there’s your other problem.

Trump is merely an uncreative two-bit grifter who made it into the major leagues by being able to change his patter to suit his audience. But he is not wily enough or shrewd enough to run the clever cons. He wastes what little energy he has attacking real or imagined enemies without understanding how to make alliances or even understanding how and when to ignore someone.

He is entirely transaction oriented, but he is too dim-witted to even grasp the value of long-term transactionalism.

Last edited by Ladewig; 6th March 2021 at 04:51 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 12:52 PM   #2122
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
As you note, in the deep south, if Trump supported a peanut butter sandwich, it would win.
Against many Repub candidates, the peanut butter sandwich would be the better choice.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th March 2021 at 12:56 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 01:56 PM   #2123
Armitage72
Philosopher

Trump's lawyers have sent cease-and-desist letters to the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee to stop them from using his name and likeness in their fundraising.

"This is my party. If you want money, you have to get it directly from me."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 02:25 PM   #2124
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trump's lawyers have sent cease-and-desist letters to the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee to stop them from using his name and likeness in their fundraising.

Oh my word! Bet McConnell's pissed.

The sad thing is Trump can rip off as many donors as he can con.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th March 2021 at 02:31 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 03:10 PM   #2125
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That appears to be literally true.
Quote:
In filings with the Federal Election Commission, he converted both his presidential campaign committee, Donald J. Trump for President, and his leadership PAC, Save America, into two political action committees that can support other candidates for office. Trump's campaign committee has become the Make America Great Again PAC -- or MAGA PAC.

"There's only one way to contribute to our efforts to elect America First Republican conservatives, and in turn to make America great again, and that's through Save America PAC and DonaldJTrump.com," Trump said during his remarks to the Conservative Political Action Conference last week.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 08:29 PM   #2126
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

MAGA: My America Grifter Association
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 09:54 PM   #2127
SezMe
post-pre-born

IANAL but I doubt that usage of an ex-president's image and name can be restricted.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 10:02 PM   #2128
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
IANAL but I doubt that usage of an ex-president's image and name can be restricted.
Except Trump has been using his name/brand for decades. I'm guessing he has it trademarked.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 11:05 PM   #2129
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Except Trump has been using his name/brand for decades. I'm guessing he has it trademarked.
Then he better not change his face. And the word "trump" is both a noun and a verb in other contexts, and probably can't be trademarked as a result.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 11:06 PM   #2130
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

What would happen if they told him to stick it up his jacksie?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 11:22 PM   #2131
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Then he better not change his face. And the word "trump" is both a noun and a verb in other contexts, and probably can't be trademarked as a result.
I'm pretty sure you can't market something using the POTUS name/image. Being in the public domain for satire or a news report are different situations.

KGSW Law: you can't use Trump in your brand either.
Quote:
So why has the USPTO refused to register any trademark with the Trump name, without Donald or Ivanka Trump’s personal written consent? It’s because the Trademark Act and numerous decisions by the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board have consistently held that a trademark registration will be refused if the mark consists of a name, portrait or signature identifying a particular living individual, unless that individual provides his or her written consent.
But I believe you can set up a PAC to raise money for Trump's campaign but not give him any of the money.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th March 2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM   #2132
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I remember a test case where a fellow named McDonald could not legally use his own name for a restaurant.

I’d also think Trump can prohibit use of his name or likeness in any way that seems to promote or endorse a particular product or cause without his consent. But I assume it’s complicated. I expect either the Leagal Eagle or Opening Arguments, or both, to opine on this in the near future.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #2133
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I remember a test case where a fellow named McDonald could not legally use his own name for a restaurant.

Iíd also think Trump can prohibit use of his name or likeness in any way that seems to promote or endorse a particular product or cause without his consent. But I assume itís complicated. I expect either the Leagal Eagle or Opening Arguments, or both, to opine on this in the near future.
For commercial purposes, that all holds.

A former office holder being able to control name and likeness (or license it for a fee?) in communications from a political committee (tightly controlled in other ways), especially campaign and party organizations, is ominous to me.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #2134
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

For commercial purposes, that all holds.

A former office holder being able to control name and likeness (or license it for a fee?) in communications from a political committee (tightly controlled in other ways), especially campaign and party organizations, is ominous to me.
Why? If they're raising money by falsely claiming to represent him or that he endorses them, it looks like a pretty straightforward fraud issue. Why ominous?
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #2135
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Why? If they're raising money by falsely claiming to represent him or that he endorses them, it looks like a pretty straightforward fraud issue. Why ominous?
Are the claims false?

That would fall under defamation, anyways.

This issue is treating a political figure's identity and descriptions of their political positions like intellectual property. That goes into a rabbit hole of ownership, transfer of this IP or parts of it to other owners, licensing platforms.

Not sure I like private interests potentially deciding who can say what about which public office holder (not already addressed by other civil or criminal penalties).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #2136
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It seems a little odd, but maybe it is just part of a new level of hypernarcissistic apotheosis. So the Republican party, until now acting as mindless puppets to support the reprehensible stupidity of the administration, must now, it seems, say "We still stand with that guy whose name is so awesome we cannot speak it."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #2137
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

This is more of a desire than a citation of law, but I think it would be awesome if the court said, “if you are trying to protect your trademark, then you need to put a (tm) next to your name every time you use it in any fundraising material.”
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #2138
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

If he believes there is commercial use of his name/image by political committees, the venue would be FEC. An FEC decision could then be challenged in a suit.

If he believes the use is not commercial, case dismissed. Political organizations (not found in violation of prohibitions against commercial activity) have different leeway.

Maybe this will change as "political activity" and "intellectual property" are always being weighed and balanced, but any major precedent reversals are likely a decade or so out if someone is just now spinning up some cease-and-desist.

It does trap the RNC. Concede fundraising on Trump to Trump only (unless he gets a cut?) or give Trumo ammunition to portray himself as victim of a corrupt RNC.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #2139
RolandRat
Muse

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/trump-said...130653895.html

Trump said he would travel the 5,000 miles from Mar-a-Lago to Alaska to bury the political career of GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski in revenge for her impeachment vote.

"I will not be endorsing, under any circumstances, the failed candidate from the great State of Alaska, Lisa Murkowski. She represents her state badly and her country even worse, Trump told Politico.

"I do not know where other people will be next year, but I know where I will be - in Alaska campaigning against a disloyal and very bad Senator."
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #2140
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Murkowski already got primaried once. She came back and won as a write-in.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #2141
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

And Alaska now has a Ranked Voice, neutered Primary system that makes it utterly irrelevant what Trump wants.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #2142
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And Alaska now has a Ranked Voice, neutered Primary system that makes it utterly irrelevant what Trump wants.
President Trump wasting his time far away from home.
The very idea warms my heart.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #2143
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/trump-said...130653895.html

Trump said he would travel the 5,000 miles from Mar-a-Lago to Alaska to bury the political career of GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski in revenge for her impeachment vote.

"I will not be endorsing, under any circumstances, the failed candidate from the great State of Alaska, Lisa Murkowski. She represents her state badly and her country even worse, Trump told Politico.

"I do not know where other people will be next year, but I know where I will be - in Alaska campaigning against a disloyal and very bad Senator."
There is absolutely no chance that Trump will be in Alaska next year, for any reason.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #2144
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
There is absolutely no chance that Trump will be in Alaska next year, for any reason.
Exactly my thoughts, though the idea of him freezing to death in the tundra is appealing.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #2145
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It seems a little odd, but maybe it is just part of a new level of hypernarcissistic apotheosis. So the Republican party, until now acting as mindless puppets to support the reprehensible stupidity of the administration, must now, it seems, say "We still stand with that guy whose name is so awesome we cannot speak it."
Or, in more common parlance - He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, who happens to be very well known in the Harry Potter stories. Given the long-standing pleasure that Trumpy Republican politicians seem to take in associating themselves with the villainous side, some of them might actually have fun making that exact invocation. A bit like they did with Senator Kelly (X-Men) and the Death Star.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #2146
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Except if he sees a way to make money.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #2147
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You know, this seems entirely reasonable to me. He's a private individual. Why should the RNC be able to use his name and image for their own benefit?
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #2148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You know, this seems entirely reasonable to me. He's a private individual. Why should the RNC be able to use his name and image for their own benefit?
He sucked up all the life in the RNC. They either need to break free or do like Graham, kiss his ass.

Classic example of be careful what you wish for.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #2149
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
He may be a private individual now, but a short while ago he was president, and he only obtained that position because he had been a member (and received the backing of) the Republican party. I can certainly understand the republicans in the party thinking "We helped campaign for Trump in 2016, we voted to confirm Drunky McRapeface and the Stepford Wife, we voted against impeachment twice...I think its valid associating his name with our party."

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #2150
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Quote:
Exactly my thoughts, though the idea of him freezing to death in the tundra is appealing.
Yeah but then Trump Jr. or Eric will try to stuff themselves inside his bloated corpse as a way to stay warm.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #2151
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yeah but then Trump Jr. or Eric will try to stuff themselves inside his bloated corpse as a way to stay warm.
I'd pay to see that. And will that be before or after Junior pays to kill wolves from a helicopter?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #2152
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And you thought... he smelled bad... on the outside.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #2153
dirtywick
Illuminator

I bet Eric smells like someone who eats cereal in bed, spills it all over, but never changes the sheets
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #2154
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
There's room for jokes about Qnut lemmings here, following T**** over a cliff to their slow agonising deaths far away in the frozen wastes.*

* Yeah, I know this is completely false and made up by the Disney team. Just let it ride, OK?
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #2155
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I bet Eric smells like someone who eats cereal in bed, spills it all over, but never changes the sheets
Is that a euphemism?

Wait. I donít want to know.
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #2156
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

If he believes there is commercial use of his name/image by political committees, the venue would be FEC. An FEC decision could then be challenged in a suit.

If he believes the use is not commercial, case dismissed. Political organizations (not found in violation of prohibitions against commercial activity) have different leeway.

Trump, of course, sees no distinction between "commercial use" and "political use". Everything is about the money, and all the money belongs to him.

I hope he does manage to suck up a lot of the fundraising that would have otherwise gone to the party, because then, every dollar he steals from it won't be used to support the party in 2022 and 2024. Anything that hurts their abilities in these elections can only be considered a good thing.
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #2157
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Seeing the flip side, could the DNC be prohibited from using Trump's likeness or words in their advertising?
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #2158
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Seeing the flip side, could the DNC be prohibited from using Trump's likeness or words in their advertising?
an excellent point IMO.
But I guess the RNC and Republicans don't really want to a legal battle with Trump.
Trump has won most of his cases by making winning against him a Pyrrhic victory.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #2159
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's a good point. I get fundraising emails all the time listing Trump's latest outrage as the reason I must donate.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics