IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th March 2021, 01:56 PM   #81
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
All the worst elements of celebrity fan culture cranked up to 11 with a healthy dash of weird nationalism. Count me as another baffled American gawking at this freak-show.

The brits didn't do themselves any favors by retaining the monarchy, powerless or not, as figureheads of their nation. The French and the Russians had the right idea about how to deal with God-ordained royal families.

Think of the royals as prime attractions for the UK tourist industry. I don't think murder by deranged revolutionaries is ever the right idea.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 01:58 PM   #82
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why do I see shotguns involved…..

I didn’t see one, but the ability to obtain one easily was mentioned in passing.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:01 PM   #83
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So Archie becomes a prince then when Charles assumes the Crown?

Questioned answered in subsequent post: yes.
Please, please don’t take that answer as authoritative, it isn’t and they don’t.
Old 8th March 2021, 02:03 PM   #84
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Please, please don’t take that answer as authoritative, it isn’t and they don’t.
Not to digress, but is "Archie" the actual name, or is it short for Archibald or something else?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:04 PM   #85
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Not to digress, but is "Archie" the actual name, or is it short for Archibald or something else?
Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:06 PM   #86
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I didn’t see one, but the ability to obtain one easily was mentioned in passing.
Like the loving Dad who advises his teenage daughter's date: "You kids have a great time. I'll just be sitting here cleaning my shotgun."
Old 8th March 2021, 02:09 PM   #87
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

My grandson is Archie, born well before this one. It’s fairly common down here, and I don’t think anyone has been called Archibald for about 50 years....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:31 PM   #88
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
My grandson is Archie, born well before this one. It’s fairly common down here, and I don’t think anyone has been called Archibald for about 50 years....
Pity really, it's a good name for a leech.
Old 8th March 2021, 03:02 PM   #89
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

The froufrou around Meghan always struck me as "Harry's the most desirable eligible prince now that his brother married proper" that men and women the world over could dream about having a storybook wedding with. And then this (one of THEM) girl swoops in and steals everyone's beau... they have to get her out of the way. But Harry's shine is off too, because he chose her in the first place, The woman could be a freaking saint and she could never be good enough because SHE'S IN THE WAY for too many people.

Monarchies don't make sense anymore. Useless as a diplomatic corps because of the randomness of genetics, superseded by elected bodies in terms of actual governance, they're just super-wealthy and exempted from estate taxes when inheriting so that wealth can't get back into the country.
Old 8th March 2021, 03:17 PM   #90
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Well, when it's 40 degrees Centigrade outside, you don't want to get married in a stuffy building.
When it's 40 Celsius I should think you'd want to get married in an air conditioned building, but I'm sure some people feel differently.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 03:17 PM   #91
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It was questioning the title of prince not due to Archie because he was one generation too far removed from the crown.

See the post I was replying to.
I did. I don't see how that implies in any way that Charles would abdicate.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 03:34 PM   #92
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

They claimed they left to get privacy. Haha.
At least until they need the money. No doubt they were well compensated for the "interview" (she is an actor after all).
Old 8th March 2021, 03:42 PM   #93
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
At least until they need the money. No doubt they were well compensated for the "interview" (she is an actor after all).
Weren’t paid for the interview.
Old 8th March 2021, 03:45 PM   #94
Steve
Philosopher

Weren’t paid for the interview.
officially.
Old 8th March 2021, 03:53 PM   #95
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Load of rubbish.
I am afraid it is correct.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 03:54 PM   #96
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
That doesn't sound like the standard for being not racist. Just because she meets with world leaders doesn't make her hip to the latest developments in structural racism
The racists I know certainly do not mix with other races. You have zero evidence the Queen is racist. It is just an unpleasant assumption.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 03:57 PM   #97
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
All the worst elements of celebrity fan culture cranked up to 11 with a healthy dash of weird nationalism. Count me as another baffled American gawking at this freak-show.

The brits didn't do themselves any favors by retaining the monarchy, powerless or not, as figureheads of their nation. The French and the Russians had the right idea about how to deal with God-ordained royal families.
Problem is, it goes back a thousand years. It is so deeply entrenched it is not going to be easy to change it.

Are you sure the dawning of Stalinism was a good thing?

Old 8th March 2021, 03:59 PM   #98
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Th King or Queen gifts titles. It is within Charles' power to confer 'Prince' onto Archie as per the Letters of Patent 1917. So it is not a load of rubbish, as you claim.

Old 8th March 2021, 04:04 PM   #99
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

He's only got his Diana inheritance to live on. I know wealth and poverty are relative, depending on what you are used to and being let loose to fend for himself must have been a real shock to his system despite his ahem 20m in the bank. He's still young. He'll survive. Even thrive.

Old 8th March 2021, 04:04 PM   #100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
The froufrou around Meghan always struck me as "Harry's the most desirable eligible prince now that his brother married proper" that men and women the world over could dream about having a storybook wedding with. And then this (one of THEM) girl swoops in and steals everyone's beau... they have to get her out of the way. But Harry's shine is off too, because he chose her in the first place, The woman could be a freaking saint and she could never be good enough because SHE'S IN THE WAY for too many people.

Monarchies don't make sense anymore. Useless as a diplomatic corps because of the randomness of genetics, superseded by elected bodies in terms of actual governance, they're just super-wealthy and exempted from estate taxes when inheriting so that wealth can't get back into the country.
I despise the idea of monarchies and royalty. I pay as little attention as possible to these people.

They are Britain's version of the Kardashians. They are lucky sperms that live in government housing and on the dole. There is nothing special about any of them.
Old 8th March 2021, 04:18 PM   #101
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

He's only got his Diana inheritance to live on. I know wealth and poverty are relative, depending on what you are used to and being let loose to fend for himself must have been a real shock to his system despite his ahem 20m in the bank. He's still young. He'll survive. Even thrive.
If money were their only concern, they could go on a speaking tour and easily collect six figures a pop. He could join corporate boards. She has no doubt been offered acting roles. They are selling merch, and could certainly license their brand. Their ability to thrive on their own likely galls the other dependent royals.
Old 8th March 2021, 04:28 PM   #102
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I just realized something interesting about the thread title. The only reason anyone has ever heard of the people being interviewed was because of the one who was left out of the title. He's the one that had the lucky accident of birth, but, really no one cares about him. That's typical. I remember what'shisname's wedding to Kate Middleton. No one ever cares about the husband, even if the husband happens to be the future king. The bride's sister and her pleasingly shaped derriere got more attention than that bloke in red at the wedding.
Old 8th March 2021, 04:52 PM   #103
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

If money were their only concern, they could go on a speaking tour and easily collect six figures a pop. He could join corporate boards. She has no doubt been offered acting roles. They are selling merch, and could certainly license their brand. Their ability to thrive on their own likely galls the other dependent royals.
That was the plan. However, as the Royal Family are supported by UK tax payers, they can't be seen to be profiting, so the pair asked to 'step down' to pursue their interests, which they described at various times to do with 'seeking privacy', 'fleeing the racist bigoted UK press' or 'escaping from entrapment' and now they are complaining they are no longer getting public funds for police protection or fancy titles.

What galls the other royals is the damage to their reputation.

Old 8th March 2021, 04:53 PM   #104
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I just realized something interesting about the thread title. The only reason anyone has ever heard of the people being interviewed was because of the one who was left out of the title. He's the one that had the lucky accident of birth, but, really no one cares about him. That's typical. I remember what'shisname's wedding to Kate Middleton. No one ever cares about the husband, even if the husband happens to be the future king. The bride's sister and her pleasingly shaped derriere got more attention than that bloke in red at the wedding.
It's the marketing plan. They always put Meghan's name first, for search engine purposes.

Old 8th March 2021, 04:53 PM   #105
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Pity really, it's a good name for a leech.

Granted.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 04:55 PM   #106
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

That was the plan. However, as the Royal Family are supported by UK tax payers, they can't be seen to be profiting, so the pair asked to 'step down' to pursue their interests, which they described at various times to do with 'seeking privacy', 'fleeing the racist bigoted UK press' or 'escaping from entrapment' and now they are complaining they are no longer getting public funds for police protection or fancy titles.

What galls the other royals is the damage to their reputation.
If you weren't getting everything completely backwards, you'd have a brilliant point.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 05:04 PM   #107
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't know if that's quite true. The princes have been public figures since they were born. The women they married and made princesses are new to the family and of more public interest. Kate is also wife and mother to future monarchs. It's no surprise that people want to know who she is. It's also pretty clear that the royal family's "firm" is skillful at self-promoting PR.
Old 8th March 2021, 06:27 PM   #108
rockinkt
Master Poster

Meghan and Harry outright lied through their teeth when they made the claim that the Royal Family "pulled security" when they arrived in Canada.

Winfrey added to the lie by stating that "after the move, Harry and Meghan say security, normally provided by the Royal Family, was cut off."

I don't blame Winfrey. Her job has always been to make headlines and make money and not worry about facts.

However, Harry and Meghan both know very well that they had full security when they set down in Canada - paid in full by Canadian taxpayers - due to their status as Internationally Protected Persons (IPP). (Being an IPP is essentially a free ticket to receive automatic state bodyguards almost anywhere in the world. Any signatory to the United Nations’ Protection of Diplomat’s Convention is duty-bound to prevent “attacks on the person, freedom or dignity” of a visiting Internationally Protected Person. For example - whenever our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau jets down to Florida for a vacation the U.S. Secret Service is automatically mobilized to ensure that he remains safe while on U.S. soil).

There was quite a public row in Canada over this and it was a huge media story for days. It was even brought up in our parliament. Our Public Safety Minister Bill Blair stated:
“As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as needed basis,”

Meghan and Harry knew full well that their decision to step down as royals in the months that followed automatically disqualified them from receiving the taxpayer-funded security extended to working members of the royal family. It was a choice they made and their loss of security privileges was never, ever, up to the Royal Family.

So - a major part of their story - and I do mean story - has been blown clearly out of the water.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 8th March 2021 at 06:33 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 06:39 PM   #109
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post

So - a major part of their story - and I do mean story - has been blown clearly out of the water.
The purpose of the interview was to gain sympathy from a gullible American audience (and to ultimately profit financially from it). Most of that audience will never encounter any fact checking of the claims made by "the couple formerly known as royals".
Old 8th March 2021, 06:48 PM   #110
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Meghan and Harry outright lied through their teeth when they made the claim that the Royal Family "pulled security" when they arrived in Canada.

Winfrey added to the lie by stating that "after the move, Harry and Meghan say security, normally provided by the Royal Family, was cut off."

I don't blame Winfrey. Her job has always been to make headlines and make money and not worry about facts.

However, Harry and Meghan both know very well that they had full security when they set down in Canada - paid in full by Canadian taxpayers - due to their status as Internationally Protected Persons (IPP). (Being an IPP is essentially a free ticket to receive automatic state bodyguards almost anywhere in the world. Any signatory to the United Nations’ Protection of Diplomat’s Convention is duty-bound to prevent “attacks on the person, freedom or dignity” of a visiting Internationally Protected Person. For example - whenever our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau jets down to Florida for a vacation the U.S. Secret Service is automatically mobilized to ensure that he remains safe while on U.S. soil).

There was quite a public row in Canada over this and it was a huge media story for days. It was even brought up in our parliament. Our Public Safety Minister Bill Blair stated:
“As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as needed basis,”

Meghan and Harry knew full well that their decision to step down as royals in the months that followed automatically disqualified them from receiving the taxpayer-funded security extended to working members of the royal family. It was a choice they made and their loss of security privileges was never, ever, up to the Royal Family.

They may not have known what Canada would or wouldn't do at the time "the firm" told them they were losing UK security. Canada itself might not have known how it would provide for a permanent resident, vs. a temporary visitor. And it's hard to believe that the UK government couldn't continue to provide security to the grandson of the Queen if it wanted to, even if the money had to come from some other budget. It sure looks like the Queen gets her way in most things. I doubt if "that's just the way it is" really is the way it always is.

Last edited by Bob001; 8th March 2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 8th March 2021, 06:55 PM   #111
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The purpose of the interview was to gain sympathy from a gullible American audience (and to ultimately profit financially from it). Most of that audience will never encounter any fact checking of the claims made by "the couple formerly known as royals".
If anything they said is factually untrue the Royal Family has every right and opportunity to say so. So far, crickets.
Old 8th March 2021, 07:22 PM   #112
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I find it very important to let everyone know that I really don't care about all things Royal.

Thank you.
Seconded. A pox on all of them.

And yet, somehow I have to resist the urge to opine on the drama. For some reason, there's an impulse to take sides, in spite of myself.
Old 8th March 2021, 07:32 PM   #113
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

John Oliver’s Chillingly Accurate Warning To Meghan Markle Gets Resurfaced
Old 8th March 2021, 07:33 PM   #114
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

If anything they said is factually untrue the Royal Family has every right and opportunity to say so. So far, crickets.
They certainly tried to poison the well before the interview aired.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 07:34 PM   #115
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Seconded. A pox on all of them.

And yet, somehow I have to resist the urge to opine on the drama. For some reason, there's an impulse to take sides, in spite of myself.
Why? They're human beings who were born into an incomprehensibly weird environment. What did Harry do? He told his Dad and grandmom he didn't want to work in the family business, and he married a girl the family didn't like. That's it. Where else would that attract the slightest outside attention?

Maybe at age 18 or 21 the royals should be given a choice to be in or out. They shouldn't grow up expecting to spend their lives cutting ribbons.
Old 8th March 2021, 07:39 PM   #116
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Er um, I don't care.

I just asked a question that challenged a statement in a post. That's all.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 07:40 PM   #117
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You don't have to care about the Royals as some abstract concept to care about how someone within their inner circle is being treated.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 07:49 PM   #118
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I did. I don't see how that implies in any way that Charles would abdicate.
Aaaaaaahhhh.

Paraphrasing:
Person: The law of 18-something or other says one has to be the queen's immediate family to be a prince, greatgrandchildren aren't immediate.

Me: [logically thinking it through: if Charles were King then Archie would become a Prince. Person I'm replying to implied the current situation was permanent: no prince title for Archie. For that to happen the crown would have to bypass Charles making William King making Archie still not immediate family]
That's all I meant. And it has since been answered, Archie could become a prince later.

It doesn't matter if said law was accurately described or not or anything else.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th March 2021 at 08:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 08:04 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
That was hilarious. I started halfway through, skipping most of the Trump stuff.
Old 8th March 2021, 08:13 PM   #120
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You don't have to care about the Royals as some abstract concept to care about how someone within their inner circle is being treated.
Yeah. In some ways I'm sure it's not easy being in that situation. On the other hand, they get to live in a fancy house and have a bevy of servants to attend to their every need. Wouldn't that be the life? Never having to cook or clean or do any chores or menial labour of any sort? Always being able to eat the finest food and wear the finest clothes and sleep in the softest beds. So it's a bit of a trade-off. Maybe not worth it, maybe worth it? I'm pretty sure that the fact that he was a royal was part of the attraction. If he had been the son of a butcher from East London, I can't imagine she would have had any interest.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events