IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boris Johnson , Liz Truss , uk elections , uk politics

Old 3rd February 2021, 06:47 AM   #1
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Britain's next PM

Can't see how Boris will recover from the mishandling of Covid.

When he steps down, or if there's a leadership challenge forcing him to, who do you reckon will take over from him ?
Sunak ? Too close perhaps ?
Raab ?
Mogg ? Too slimy, but he's kept his head down this last 12 months.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:57 AM   #2
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The bookies have it
Sunak 2-1
Starmer 2-1
Gove 13/2
Raab 10-1
Hunt 10-1
Others 15-1 upwards

Mogg has no chance.

If we assume that Johnson's leaving before the next election is a given then you'd have to adjust the odds to reflect Starmer's absence from the race.
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:04 AM   #3
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Some are touting Elizabeth Truss. What a nightmare the UK finds itself in!

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:07 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sunak - if we can't have a posh Etonian, we will go for money!
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:47 AM   #5
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Some are touting Elizabeth Truss. What a nightmare the UK finds itself in!
Who ?

It's not something I've heard.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Who ?

New European were bigging up Truss for promotion come the reshuiffle. Anyone in a senior post can be a leadership contender.

Quote:
Liz Truss is tipped to receive a more senior role in government after Boris Johnson seeks to promote more female ministers in the next reshuffle.

The international trade secretary is likely to join Kemi Badenoch, Lucy Frazer, Gillian Keegan and Victoria Atkins in receiving boosts in the next reshuffle, the Daily Mail reports.

Housing secretary Robert Jenrick and policing minister Kit Malthouse are also favoured to be rewarded for their efforts defending the government in television interviews.

Johnson could also aim to quieten backbench rebellions by promoting lockdown critics Steve Baker and Sir Graham Brady.

As previously reported home secretary Priti Patel could be demoted in the move, while Sajid Javid could also return to cabinet.

The measures could come in June after local elections in May, and come after allies Carrie Symonds and Allegra Stratton encouraging the prime minister to refresh his top team.

A source told the newspaper: "Boris has a woman problem. The only way you solve that is to put more women in the top jobs".

Truss was rated the best-performing government minister by a recent poll of Tory members.
And from Political Betting:

Quote:
Liz Truss moves from a 100/1 shot for next PM to 33/1 in just two weeks – politicalbetting.com
Remember Liz Truss called for the abolition of the monarchy at her party conference in 1994.
I won't include the url for this site as a message came up saying CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON A MILLION POUNDS!!! With lots of confetti and balloons, which I exited fast and got the above as a quote instead.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Who ?

Liz Truss is the current secretary of state for international trade.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:58 AM   #8
3point14
Pi

Ask Murdoch who he wants. It'll be whoever that is.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:53 AM   #9
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Airfix View Post
Can't see how Boris will recover from the mishandling of Covid.

When he steps down, or if there's a leadership challenge forcing him to, who do you reckon will take over from him ?
Sunak ? Too close perhaps ?
Raab ?
Mogg ? Too slimy, but he's kept his head down this last 12 months.
Recover from what? Boris is fine.

And whoever the next PM will be will be whoever the Tory party decide it will be.
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:17 PM   #10
Airfix
Graduate Poster

It's probably in Boris's interests to stand down when this is over and say that Covid has taken it's toll on his health and that he's bowing out.

It's certainly taken it's toll on his polling.

Bowing out would save him from an embarrassing leadership challenge.
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:25 PM   #11
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Ask Murdoch who he wants. It'll be whoever that is.
Nice.
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:36 PM   #12
Airfix
Graduate Poster

I've never liked Rupert Murdoch, but I'm glad he's not suffered Covid, the sympathy headlines would be unbearable.
Old 3rd February 2021, 03:36 PM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Recover from what? Boris is fine.

And whoever the next PM will be will be whoever the Tory party decide it will be.

And when Labor has a majority, the next PM will be who Labor decides it will be.That's the way a Pure Parliamentary system works. The votres have only an indirect vote in National SHip.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:42 PM   #14
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And when Labor has a majority, the next PM will be who Labor decides it will be.That's the way a Pure Parliamentary system works. The votres have only an indirect vote in National SHip.
There is no Labor Party in the UK.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:06 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I've never liked Rupert Murdoch, but I'm glad he's not suffered Covid, the sympathy headlines would be unbearable.
We never liked Rupert Murdoch either. We made him an American citizen as punishment.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:07 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It's probably in Boris's interests to stand down when this is over and say that Covid has taken it's toll on his health and that he's bowing out.

It's certainly taken it's toll on his polling.

Bowing out would save him from an embarrassing leadership challenge.
He won't. And Labour will not force him to do that. He's the best champion for Labour that they have, frankly. The more Boris tries to wiffle-waffle his way out of this hell-hole he inhabits, the better it is for Starmer.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:42 AM   #17
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Who ?

Liz "Pork Bellies" Truss, architect of the Japanese deal that allows us to export cheese to a lactose intolerant nation. She's the one who appears to have missed her true calling as a would be CeeBeebies presenter who failed the screen test, presumably with that awful video from last summer where she stood infront of a greenscreen waving a steering wheel about and pretending to drive while mugging & waving to 'passers by'. (I tried to find it, but search for "Liz Truss Car" on YouTube and you get a list of her interviews titled with "Car Crash")

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:47 AM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He won't. And Labour will not force him to do that. He's the best champion for Labour that they have, frankly. The more Boris tries to wiffle-waffle his way out of this hell-hole he inhabits, the better it is for Starmer.
Labour should want him out, pretty much no-one thinks he'll fight the next election so the goal should be to have the change over soon enough that his replacement doesn't get to fight the next election during their honeymoon period, and possibly more importantly doesn't get to distance themselves from previous government decisions as Johnson somehow managed to do in 2019.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:51 AM   #19
Airfix
Graduate Poster

He won't.
We'll see.
And Labour will not force him to do that.
No, but his own back benchers seeing the writing on the wall might.

He's the best champion for Labour that they have, frankly. The more Boris tries to wiffle-waffle his way out of this hell-hole he inhabits, the better it is for Starmer.
Agreed.

He's presently sinking the Conservative party.
The 2024 election is still 3 years away, but that's not a long time and 100,000+ deaths from Covid will be hard to forget.
Old 4th February 2021, 01:36 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
There is no Labor Party in the UK.
That is the American spelling, and the way almost all US newspapers spell it.
Pedanty and nitpiciking.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:26 PM   #21
GlennB

No it isn't, afaics.

I just checked the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today before getting bored looking. They all use the word Labour.
Old 4th February 2021, 02:48 PM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
No it isn't, afaics.

I just checked the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today before getting bored looking. They all use the word Labour.
The American spelling of the word is "labor", but the name remains "Labour Party".
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:57 PM   #23
GlennB

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The American spelling of the word is "labor", but the name remains "Labour Party".
I suspect we all know that.
Old 4th February 2021, 05:26 PM   #24
angrysoba
Philosophile

Flat-out false.

Look, I try to use the spelling Pearl Harbor. I think you could try to use the correct name of the party, and it is the spelling of the party name whatever country you are in.

Pedantry and nitpiciking.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2021, 06:37 AM   #25
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The bookies have it
Sunak 2-1
[ . . . ]
Sunak would need to get the job before too much of that austerity or tax rises stuff, because it's going to make him look like Scrooge not Santa.

(Still, apparently the government has ruled out both of austerity and tax so p'raps no hurry to change jobs)
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics