ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Amanda Knox , Italy cases , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Old Today, 09:57 AM   #1081
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Even with neutral view enforced, there are, in my view, some possibly minor issues with the Wikipedia page for Amanda Knox.

One quibble I have is the presentation there of the ECHR judgment:

"Compensation

On January 24, 2019, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ordered Italy to pay compensation to Knox for violating her rights in the hours after her arrest in Perugia. Italy was ordered to pay Knox 18,400 Euros (about US$20,800) for not providing her with either a lawyer or a competent interpreter when she was first held in custody."

I would have emphasized that the judgment found a violation of her rights under international law (the European Convention of Human Rights), rather than the compensation, which is only a token award, as generally provided in such cases by the ECHR. And the Wikipedia article does not mention Italy's violation of Article 3, under its procedural limb, that was found by the ECHR.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Knox
You can edit it yourself. But you need to provide neutral, third-party verification of your edit. My experience that if you simply keep it to "just the facts, ma'am, just the facts," and link to the ECHR page which says it, you'll be fine.

The things to remember, is that "neutral" point of view, does not mean no point of view. It means a point of view which can be verified by a reputable third party.

Yes, you can probably drive a truck through that definition. I was once told, during one of my own complaints to middle-level Wiki-editors, that the point of Wikipedia IS NOT THE TRUTH.

It's an assembly of what else is out there from reputable sources, sometimes those reputable sources can be wrong, but truth or falsehood is not one of the Wiki criteria.

Last edited by Bill Williams; Today at 10:02 AM.
Bill Williams is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #1082
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Don't forget my ten yards swimming certificate.
Just for you.

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #1083
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone wondering how Wikipedia itself became a battleground to control the trial narrative in Perugia should read this link: but beware, IT IS LONG, and is the Talk-page from the Murder of Meredith Kercher entry for April 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=422838788

Look for the sub paragraphs:
- Has Jimmy Wales been sold a line? (contains info about how PMF and TJMK posters had hijacked the Wiki-entry)
- New "Oggi" Article (about the collapse of the charges in the second trial, but countered with guilters claiming that OGGI does opinionated "hit pieces".)
- Edit War (the back and forth which explains why Wales had had to step in)
A blast from the past, but it is illustrative as to how dedicated guilters went the extra-mile to control the narrative, and ultimately failed.

I also discovered that I was wrong for how long that poster I referred to above continued editting at Wiki. It was for a full year later than I had remembered.... before he himself got banned after being outed as a PMF main conspirator.
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #1084
Stacyhs
Philosopher

So what happened to Paxton's dreams of living with her girlfriend?

When will we see a pic of her and fake fiancÚ Thunderstrike Sutherland?
News Flash! People grow up and plans change as does life.

And just what would a pic of Collin and Madison together prove to you? Nothing. You'd just claim it was staged.

I find your need to call Collin Sutherland a "fake fiancÚ" revealing. The FACT is that you have absolutely no information that they weren't engaged. It's just another example of you making things up. So weird.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #1085
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a link to the Westside Seattle, which quoted Jimbo Wales as to why he had intervened. At the time, the "Murder of Meredith Kercher" was the 60th most read entry on Wikipedia out of millions, and Wiki editors were bracing for the coming Oct 2011 decision which some felt threatened to crash the whole site because of an escalation of editing hostilities.

The petition which Knox supporters had put to Wales was that as evidence was crumbling at the second trial, guilters editing at Wiki refused to allow the update of facts. That resulted in a huge edit war.

https://www.westsideseattle.com/robi...ut-amanda-knox

Wales:
Quote:
My interest is simply in making sure that this entry accurately reflects what reliable sources have said and that no reliable sources are omitted based on anyone's agenda in either direction. I'm posting this notice on the BLP (biography of living persons) noticeboard and the talk page of the article."--Jimbo Wales (talk) 16:03, 22 March 2011 (UTC)
Quote:
"A petition doesn't matter. Number of signatures doesn't matter. Getting it right is all that matters. I accept input from all kinds of sources, and we should always be willing to take another look."--Jimbo Wales (talk) 17:07, 22 March 2011 (UTC)
Quote:
"No one, least of all me, is arguing that the blog post should be used as a source. The blog post is a discussion of what has been going on here. It should be thoughtfully considered. Is it true that people have been banned for completely neutral edits? Yes. It is true that reliable sources have been systematically excluded? Yes. None of that is acceptable. I am not arguing for reinstating any of the badly behaved accounts from before - they are irrelevant to this discussion. My point is that badly behaved accounts are no excuse for bias."--Jimbo Wales (talk) 23:28, 22 March 2011 (UTC)
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #1086
Stacyhs
Philosopher

In your dreams. It's a recent change of server and simply initial teething troubles. Should be back soon.

Sorry to disappoint you all.
It's rather like an ugly wart you think you've gotten rid of and it just grows back. Fact is, although Quennell and his remaining handful of sorry posters try desperately to be relevant, they just aren't.
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #1087
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
"In February 2013, Mignini launched a defamation suit against Raffaele Sollecito, for allegations in Sollecito's book, Honor Bound, including claims of secret negotiations between Mignini and Sollecito's family. Mignini later retracted his claims, and the rest of the suit was dismissed."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuliano_Mignini
Q.E.D. ::
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #1088
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed, it now proven you are wrong, as was Peter Quennell.

Next.
Old Today, 11:22 AM   #1089
Stacyhs
Philosopher

You can't be serious.

Oh, wait.....
Old Today, 11:27 AM   #1090
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Vixen: The defendant was convicted on all charges and imprisoned immediately.

Court papers: The defendant was acquitted on all charges and released immediately.

Vixen: Q. E. D. ! See I told you he was convicted!
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #1091
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
News Flash! People grow up and plans change as does life.

And just what would a pic of Collin and Madison together prove to you? Nothing. You'd just claim it was staged.

I find your need to call Collin Sutherland a "fake fiancÚ" revealing. The FACT is that you have absolutely no information that they weren't engaged. It's just another example of you making things up. So weird.
So what date was the marriage?
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #1092
Bill Williams
Penultimate Amazing

What possible business is this of yours?

But it is noted that you press this in the context of being proven wrong about Mignini and his baseless defamation claim.

Which is the point, isn't it?
Old Today, 11:33 AM   #1093
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
Agreed, it now proven you are wrong, as was Peter Quennell.

Next.
Ask yourself, why would Mignini retract his allegations ... unless an 'apology' took place...?

Penny dropped?
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #1094
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Are you now asserting that an engagement is 'fake' if the two people change their minds and call it off? REALLY?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors