IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags artificial , china , hurricanes , trump , weapon

Reply
Old 11th May 2022, 08:16 AM   #1
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 2,040
China has a hurricane gun

Breaking wind! Er, news! According to one of his staffers, Donald Trump thought that China had developed a hurricane gun to create storms and direct them at the U.S.A. Story here.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 08:32 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,550
In the interest of saving you a click: MSN reports that Rolling Stone reports that an unnamed ex staffer claims that Trump asked about this and was "totally super serious, I swear".
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 08:34 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 17,691
China's Hurricane Gun and HAARP can fight it out between each other.
__________________
"Metaphysics is a restaurant where they give you a thirty thousand page menu, and no food."

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:23 AM   #4
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,910
Given that when the Spanish 'discovered' the Hurricane season/cycle in the Americas they thought it was the work of the Devil.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Axxman300
Philosopher
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 6,163
The Chinese are working with the Australians to make rain, and cause the sea levels to rise, and hold the world hostage to their master plan...whatever that is...wake up, sheeple!
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 11:51 AM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,396
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
The Chinese are working with the Australians to make rain, and cause the sea levels to rise, and hold the world hostage to their master plan...whatever that is...wake up, sheeple!
Is that you Dr. Fu Manchu?
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 11:55 AM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 18,699
I can just see the staffer explaining it to President Trump:

*staffer stirs chocolate mild rapidly in clear glass*

"Now sir, if instead of this spoon stirring the yummy beverage into a hurricane, we pick up this AR-15..."
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 12:12 PM   #8
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 748
Luckily his magic sharpie was able to divert the hurricanes to wherever he wanted them to go!
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 01:53 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,091
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In the interest of saving you a click: MSN reports that Rolling Stone reports that an unnamed ex staffer claims that Trump asked about this and was "totally super serious, I swear".
Trump wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark; he said that the USA captured all the British airfields during the American Revolutionary War, he wanted American Cops to gun down BLM protestors, and he wanted the US military to fire Patriot missiles at Mexican drug labs (which is doubly stupid, because Patriots are surface to-air missiles not surface-to-surface missiles)

Based upon the above mess of sheer stupid, why do you think its unreasonable that he might think China has a Hurricane gun?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 02:39 PM   #10
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 18,699
China made, you say? So who the hell is going to make the knockoff clones?

I'd kind of like one to piss off my neighbors when they play country music.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 02:47 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,550
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Trump wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark; he said that the USA captured all the British airfields during the American Revolutionary War, he wanted American Cops to gun down BLM protestors, and he wanted the US military to fire Patriot missiles at Mexican drug labs (which is doubly stupid, because Patriots are surface to-air missiles not surface-to-surface missiles)

Based upon the above mess of sheer stupid, why do you think its unreasonable that he might think China has a Hurricane gun?
I report. MSN baits clicks by stealing Rolling Stone's headline. Spectator thinks this is a good enough source. You decide.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 03:33 PM   #12
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 18,915
If a hurricane gun creates and directs hurricanes, what does an elephant gun do?
__________________
A zÝmbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 04:15 PM   #13
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 25,157
I wish the ******* had invented a better vaccine. We wouldn't have our supply chain issues if they'd put more energy into making a vaccine that doesn't suck. Morons. Who gives a **** about hurricanes?
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 08:49 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,091
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I report. MSN baits clicks by stealing Rolling Stone's headline. Spectator thinks this is a good enough source. You decide.
Given Trump's well understood propensity to lie and to say stupid stuff (often both at the same time), I can easily find what MSN/Rolling Stone have said/reported/linked to be believable...

Just to clarify, "finding something believable" is not the same as "actually believing that something"
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:00 PM   #15
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,737
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
The Chinese are working with the Australians to make rain, and cause the sea levels to rise, and hold the world hostage to their master plan...whatever that is...wake up, sheeple!
Damn, Master Sifu! He's onto us, cobber!
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:02 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,737
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I report. MSN baits clicks by stealing Rolling Stone's headline. Spectator thinks this is a good enough source. You decide.
I did, right about then.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:24 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,550
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If a hurricane gun creates and directs hurricanes, what does an elephant gun do?
Shoots large caliber rounds designed to take down big game. The biggest game.

Now tell us what machine guns do.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:36 PM   #18
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,372
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Trump wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark; he said that the USA captured all the British airfields during the American Revolutionary War, he wanted American Cops to gun down BLM protestors, and he wanted the US military to fire Patriot missiles at Mexican drug labs (which is doubly stupid, because Patriots are surface to-air missiles not surface-to-surface missiles)

Based upon the above mess of sheer stupid, why do you think its unreasonable that he might think China has a Hurricane gun?

Don't forget that Trump wanted to nuke those hurricanes!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:46 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,550
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Given Trump's well understood propensity to lie and to say stupid stuff (often both at the same time), I can easily find what MSN/Rolling Stone have said/reported/linked to be believable...

Just to clarify, "finding something believable" is not the same as "actually believing that something"
Of course you find it believable. That's the whole point: Rolling Stone is monetizing confirmation bias. And MSN is monetizing monetizing confirmation bias.

And don't get me wrong: I think it's totally okay to find unsubstantiated gossip believable. My purpose in saving you a click was to bring the fact that it's unsubstantiated gossip up front where it belongs. And to get you past the completely unnecessary involvement of MSN in the reporting of it.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 10:08 PM   #20
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 16,692

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 11th May 2022 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Bacause why bother
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 10:25 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,091
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I concur!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Of course you find it believable. That's the whole point: Rolling Stone is monetizing confirmation bias. And MSN is monetizing monetizing confirmation bias.

And don't get me wrong: I think it's totally okay to find unsubstantiated gossip believable. My purpose in saving you a click was to bring the fact that it's unsubstantiated gossip up front where it belongs. And to get you past the completely unnecessary involvement of MSN in the reporting of it.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th May 2022 at 10:27 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 10:28 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,550
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Don't forget that Trump wanted to nuke those hurricanes!
It's a common misconception, as your source points out.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 10:45 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,091
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Don't forget that Trump wanted to nuke those hurricanes!
Save a step, just nuke the Sharpie.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 10:07 AM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 54,897
Chinese must have made a deal with the Weather Wizard to make the gun.
Someone tell The Flash.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.