IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old 26th April 2022, 02:27 PM   #481
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I’m Oakland, teenagers with eggs drove out the “freedom” convoy. Maybe take a little inspiration.

https://boingboing.net/2022/04/25/ho...video.html/amp
At least one of those teenagers was mighty gray-haired!
Carlotta is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 07:33 PM   #482
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

No, officer. I wasn't vandalizing them. I was giving them a standing ovation!

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2022, 11:46 PM   #483
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
A standing ovulation, surely?
Old 27th April 2022, 05:50 AM   #484
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
A standing ovulation, surely?
Ouefation
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 07:57 AM   #485
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Ouefation
Ooh, nearly!
Oeufation, I think. Good one, though.
Old 27th April 2022, 12:15 PM   #486
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

not just the vaccine but also the treatments

"In the years leading up to her death, Stephanie had become embroiled in conspiracy theories. Her belief in those far-out ideas caused her to avoid vaccination and led her to delay and even refuse some of the most effective treatments after she got sick."

NPR had an in-depth story about a woman who refused to be vaccinated and also refused treatments such as remdesivir.
Old 27th April 2022, 01:29 PM   #487
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Ooh, nearly!
Oeufation, I think. Good one, though.
I thought the point of my original post was clear enough, but oh well....

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 01:57 PM   #488
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

I thought the point of my original post was clear enough, but oh well....
Are we guilty of over-egging the pudding?
Old 27th April 2022, 06:38 PM   #489
ZiprHead
Muse

They were just trying to give them breakfast.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 09:22 PM   #490
MBDK
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
"In the years leading up to her death, Stephanie had become embroiled in conspiracy theories. Her belief in those far-out ideas caused her to avoid vaccination and led her to delay and even refuse some of the most effective treatments after she got sick."

NPR had an in-depth story about a woman who refused to be vaccinated and also refused treatments such as remdesivir.
I read that article, and although it does identify some of the dangers involved with believing some conspiracy theories, and speculates as to how someone can become fixated with them, I also noticed these two quotes.

Quote:
When the daughters reached high school, Stephanie began to get into astrology and tarot. She did readings to advise people about things like houses, kids and jobs. It was quirky, but Laurie says that Stephanie brought a lot of positivity and optimism to her sessions.

"Everybody loved it, because everybody is always trying to figure out their lives. There's always the struggles," she says. "She spread hope with people."

and

Quote:
At the funeral, Arnold heard from scores of people whom Stephanie had helped over the years, through her astrology, and just her advice and friendship.

It seems to me that normalizing, and even praising her, for her involvement in what is essentially a more mainstream form of misinformation, was a perfect stepping stone to launch her into the deeper abyss.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 04:35 AM   #491
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

looking for answers

MBDK,

I recall having an inkling of the same feeling when I read the bit about astrology, but you expressed it more forcefully. I think that "everybody is always trying to figure out their lives" is helpful to understanding the appeal of conspiracy thinking.
Old 28th April 2022, 03:18 PM   #492
MBDK
Critical Thinker

I think that "everybody is always trying to figure out their lives" is helpful to understanding the appeal of conspiracy thinking.
Agreed.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 01:07 PM   #493
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

We have a new candidate for scaring the living **** out of anti-vaxxers:

Self -replicating srRNA vaccines: a RNA vaccine that can be administered in much smaller doses, as it can replicate itself in the body, thus creating a much stronger immune response.
They can also be stored at room temperature.
Test for a version against COVID-19 (same Antigen as Pfizer/Moderna) successful in a study with thousands of patients.

- Robert M. Pirsig

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 29th April 2022 at 01:15 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 02:55 PM   #494
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Self -replicating srRNA vaccines: a RNA vaccine that can be administered in much smaller doses, as it can replicate itself in the body, thus creating a much stronger immune response.
Test for a version against COVID-19 (same Antigen as Pfizer/Moderna) successful in a study with thousands of patients.
So we're basically inventing a virus to prevent a virus? This is going to popular!

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 03:45 AM   #495
Emre_1974tr
Muse

COVID vaccine kills innate immunity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9012513/
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 04:03 AM   #496
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post

Co-authored by Stephanie Seneff, who is clearly not all there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_Seneff

Emre, as you are now linking to published scientific articles, how are you deciding which of the scientists you believe, and which you don't? There is, after all, a wealth of published work on the safety of the various Covid vaccines. Have you read any of it, and why have you rejected their conclusions, in favour of this one paper?
Old 30th April 2022, 04:22 AM   #497
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
So we're basically inventing a virus to prevent a virus? This is going to popular!
No.
Replicating a small RNA Fragment ia something quite different from replicating an entire virus.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 04:24 AM   #498
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Hmm...I wonder what vested interests there might be involved here when one of the authors runs a foundation asking for donations to help them with COVID vaccine injury cases? And as a bonus who also thinks 5G causes all kinds of medical issues? Or an author that claims the vaccine causes problems with cancer 'surveillance but handily offers 'naturopathic remedies' for that cancer?

Do we think these are entirely neutral anyalyses?

Not entirely sure what expertise is conferred by someone who makes cosmetics from fruit, or a computer nerd.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 05:18 AM   #499
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

The scratching sound you hear is innumerable homeopathy fans, writing down "self-replicating" so they don't forget it.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 05:51 AM   #500
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Already taken apart here - https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sci...isinformation/

Really if Seneff is involved you can pretty much guarantee a load of ill-informed idiocy.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 06:16 AM   #501
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Nope.
Old 10th May 2022, 06:21 PM   #502
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh my word!

I already posted this in the Weinstein Brothers thread, but this probably fits in well here.

Bret Weinstein, some ivermectin enthusiasts, and straight up anti-vax people, RFK Jr and Del Bigtree are going to be at some Quackfest in Bath, UK. I would imagine that some of them, particularly Bret Weinstein, are going to be Zooming in rather than attending in person.

In fact, I would hope that some people such as RFK Jr would not even be allowed to enter the UK to spread their BS.

Also joining in... Dr John Campbell. Anyone who still doubts he is a total quack at this point are never going to be persuaded.

These grifters have basically metastasized into the 9/11 Truth Movement of the age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Covid 19 nutbar conference.jpg (146.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 11th May 2022, 11:10 AM   #503
Emre_1974tr
Muse

"MIT study finds COVID vaccines 'significantly associated' with jump in emergency heart problems"

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...jump-emergency
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 11:43 AM   #504
Disbelief
Illuminator

"MIT study finds COVID vaccines 'significantly associated' with jump in emergency heart problems"

https://www.techarp.com/science/mit-...eart-problems/

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 04:19 PM   #505
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Nope.
Old 11th May 2022, 08:28 PM   #506
carlitos
"más divertido"

You spelled MIT dot EDU wrong. Try again?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:11 AM   #507
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://retractionwatch.com/2022/05/...-is-retracted/

Quote:
A paper on the potential use of ivermectin to treat Covid-19 has been retracted for a litany of flaws, joining at least 10 other articles on the therapy some liked to promote without evidence to fall.

The article was part of a special issue of Toxicology Reports on Covid-19 that has received an expression of concern; six of the eight articles still have EoCs. Two, including one “Why are we vaccinating children against COVID-19?,” have now been retracted.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 01:58 PM   #508
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...

Are you going to apologize for the piece of ... misinformation you posted?
Old 12th May 2022, 02:58 PM   #509
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

McCullough is a puzzle

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Oh my word!

I already posted this in the Weinstein Brothers thread, but this probably fits in well here.

Bret Weinstein, some ivermectin enthusiasts, and straight up anti-vax people, RFK Jr and Del Bigtree are going to be at some Quackfest in Bath, UK. I would imagine that some of them, particularly Bret Weinstein, are going to be Zooming in rather than attending in person.

In fact, I would hope that some people such as RFK Jr would not even be allowed to enter the UK to spread their BS.

Also joining in... Dr John Campbell. Anyone who still doubts he is a total quack at this point are never going to be persuaded.

These grifters have basically metastasized into the 9/11 Truth Movement of the age.
Hi angrysoba,

Dr. Peter McCullough is the one that I don't understand. I have not seen any indication that he is profiting from his...unorthodox...position. BTW your in-box is full.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 12th May 2022 at 03:47 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 04:09 AM   #510
catsmate
No longer the 1

Do you ever bother to actually read things, and think for yourself, before regurgitating them?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 04:38 AM   #511
angrysoba
Philosophile

The Great Barrington Declaration people Jay Battacharya and Martin Kulldorff are apparently now sharing stages with.... Steve Kirsch!

You remember Steve Kirsch? Apparently famous for inventing the optical mouose and has since become a rabid anti-vaxxer who claims vaccines make the heads explode of fetuses of pregnant women.

They are sitting there in front of a PPT screen saying "vaccines are killing more people than they save" (500,000 people according to Kirsch).

WTAF!

Link
Old 17th May 2022, 12:46 PM   #512
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Misinformation

Concerning misinformation during the pandemic (and misinformation more generally), In the Pipeline's Derek Lowe wrote, "They have been spun up to their current high RPM, as far as I can tell, by repeated consumption of that ******** that Bergstrom refers to. People send me links to podcasts and YouTube videos and slide presentations that are just fiestas of misunderstandings, nonsense, and outright lies, but they're presented with a huge amount of detail in confident, passionate tones by people who sound completely committed to the cause. I can easily see where people who have not spent years in medicine, biology, chemistry and such fields would be convinced that they are truly on to the truth when they see this stuff, and after the fourth, fifteenth, or fifty-third exposure to it they're even more so."

Derek Lowe is a medicinal chemist who has written a number of blog entries on this virus, the vaccines, and the antiviral compounds used to treat this virus. The connection to conspiracy theory thinking becomes a bit clearer in the last paragraph of this interesting essay.
Old 17th May 2022, 05:00 PM   #513
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Todd Callender and Ron Johnson on the vaccine and AIDS

Physician Allison Neitzel wrote, "At the core of the issue is that this ongoing spread of COVID disinformation from politicians, doctors, lawyers, and others with a significant following continues to rock public health to the utmost degree. We must fight to close this flooding disinformation pipeline before it drowns us."

She was responding to anti-fax lawyer Todd Callender's claim that the vaccine causes AIDS as part of an interview with Senator Ron Johnson (a Republican of the State of Wisconsin) whose position is (to put it extremely charitably) unclear. I probably have heard this flagrantly false claim before, but it still shocked me to read this. So, according to this conspiracy theory, Pfizer and Moderna want to get everyone sick with AIDS? To sell them medications for it? The mind reels.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 17th May 2022 at 05:04 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 05:18 PM   #514
junkshop
Muse

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Are you going to apologize for the piece of ... misinformation you posted?
Ha!
Old 20th May 2022, 08:57 AM   #515
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Concerning misinformation during the pandemic (and misinformation more generally), In the Pipeline's Derek Lowe wrote, "They have been spun up to their current high RPM, as far as I can tell, by repeated consumption of that ******** that Bergstrom refers to. People send me links to podcasts and YouTube videos and slide presentations that are just fiestas of misunderstandings, nonsense, and outright lies, but they're presented with a huge amount of detail in confident, passionate tones by people who sound completely committed to the cause. I can easily see where people who have not spent years in medicine, biology, chemistry and such fields would be convinced that they are truly on to the truth when they see this stuff, and after the fourth, fifteenth, or fifty-third exposure to it they're even more so."

Derek Lowe is a medicinal chemist who has written a number of blog entries on this virus, the vaccines, and the antiviral compounds used to treat this virus. The connection to conspiracy theory thinking becomes a bit clearer in the last paragraph of this interesting essay.
Very dismal stuff. The internet is great and all. I'm sure that the net benefits outweigh the downsides. But the spread of misinformation via the internet is just atrocious. So much stuff that is clearly utter bollocks is believed by a lot of people these days, from Flat Earth to Q to all manner of other lies.
Old 21st May 2022, 08:46 AM   #516
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The Great Barrington Declaration people Jay Battacharya and Martin Kulldorff are apparently now sharing stages with.... Steve Kirsch!

You remember Steve Kirsch? Apparently famous for inventing the optical mouose and has since become a rabid anti-vaxxer who claims vaccines make the heads explode of fetuses of pregnant women.

They are sitting there in front of a PPT screen saying "vaccines are killing more people than they save" (500,000 people according to Kirsch).

WTAF!

Link
Kirsch was a hydroxychloroquine crank too.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2022, 11:48 AM   #517
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, fine, don't get the vaccine. We've vaccinated whom we need. The unvaccinated by choice are excess. Just have the decency to not go to the hospital if you get COVID. We shouldn't waste medical resources on the unvaccinated.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #518
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it seems that the consensus view is that this monkey pox is actually Shingles caused by the coronavirus vaccine.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #519
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Well, it seems that the consensus view is that this monkey pox is actually Shingles caused by the coronavirus vaccine.
Seems legit . . . if one is a credule gulled by the propaganda they consume.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #520
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Seeing as you didn't provide a link, I'm guessing that's your view. What is the evidence that convinced you?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories