IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th April 2022, 12:04 PM   #441
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Maybe (even likely) but some publishers don't help themselves - Bill Maher showed one of the 'problematic' maths questions in one of the banned books on his show the other night and it had a chart question based around attitudes to minorities by political affiliation or something similar. Completely unnecessary.

He did point out that was the worst of just 4 examples that had been given so he did put it into context but why feel the need to bring politics into a maths question. It just gives the Right more ammunition.
The 'parties' in the question were 'a, b, c, and d'. That's not remotely problematic.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 01:28 PM   #442
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
A bunch of trolling Right wingers are going to be by any second to explain to us just that...

Funny how they appear in flocks too. You'll see one, then another come by and back them up. It's cute, sorta reminds me of when I was a little kid and girls always went to the bathroom together as a group.
Old 27th April 2022, 03:41 PM   #443
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The war between McCarthy and Tucker Carlson will prove entertainng, and I hope they do a lot of damage to each other.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 04:04 PM   #444
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
Maybe (even likely) but some publishers don't help themselves - Bill Maher showed one of the 'problematic' maths questions in one of the banned books on his show the other night and it had a chart question based around attitudes to minorities by political affiliation or something similar. Completely unnecessary.

He did point out that was the worst of just 4 examples that had been given so he did put it into context but why feel the need to bring politics into a maths question. It just gives the Right more ammunition.
Could you please link to what examples Bill Maher presented? The only reference I can find is on Fox News and I don't want to disable my ad blocker to access it.

Also, earlier De Santis said that he wouldn't be releasing an examples from the rejected textbooks because they are "proprietary". So how did Maher get them...unless those were not form the actual rejected books.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 27th April 2022 at 04:09 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 06:53 PM   #445
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Could you please link to what examples Bill Maher presented? The only reference I can find is on Fox News and I don't want to disable my ad blocker to access it.

Also, earlier De Santis said that he wouldn't be releasing an examples from the rejected textbooks because they are "proprietary". So how did Maher get them...unless those were not form the actual rejected books.
Maher's examples are internet BS.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 06:54 PM   #446
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Maher's examples are internet BS.
They may be, but I'd like to see them for myself.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 09:59 PM   #447
Armitage72
Philosopher

The NY Times had this article, which cites issues with math problems that include building social and emotional skills.

"To learn together, disagree respectfully."

I can see why the modern Republicans would find an idea like that offensive.

“To have a growth mind-set, try a new way when you’re stuck.”

Changing how you do something? That sounds liberal to me.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 01:44 AM   #448
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And when reminded Ukraine was not the only country Russia has invaded recently he shifted to some horrid POV that Russia had a right to invade any of the countries that were previously in the USSR.
Nah he didnt say that was Russias right. He only changed the reason for Russia to invade the other countries was not that they werent Nato allies but because they were previously in the USSR.

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 02:22 AM   #449
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Nah he didnt say that was Russias right. He only changed the reason for Russia to invade the other countries was not that they werent Nato allies but because they were previously in the USSR.
Paul used the typical denier language: "I'm not saying Russia was right to invade Ukraine..." except then why bring up the fact these were countries in the USSR?

And, he claimed the US triggered Putin to act by working to assist Ukraine in joining NATO. OK, but then what about the other countries Russia invaded the US was not assisting them joining NATO?

Dodging and goalpost shifting: Paul never addresses the challenges to his assertions the US triggered Putin to invade Ukraine.

So which is it: The US triggered Putin's action or Putin was/is invading former USSR countries without any US trigger? If Paul wants to blame Biden (which Paul clearly does) then he needs to explain how Ukraine differs from the other former USSR countries Putin invaded.

And all that is without even addressing the wrongness of Putin invading Ukraine which Paul admits is true. Paul wants the US to stay out of the fray. But Putin has more countries people suspect are next. We, along with the EU and other NATO countries, have to pick a point to stop him.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th April 2022 at 02:32 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 02:45 AM   #450
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Paul used the typical denier language: "I'm not saying Russia was right to invade Ukraine..." except then why bring up the fact these were countries in the USSR?

And, he claimed the US triggered Putin to act by working to assist Ukraine in joining NATO. OK, but then what about the other countries Russia invaded the US was not assisting them joining NATO?

Dodging and goalpost shifting: Paul never addresses the challenges to his assertions the US triggered Putin to invade Ukraine.

So which is it: The US triggered Putin's action or Putin was/is invading former USSR countries without any US trigger? If Paul wants to blame Biden (which Paul clearly does) then he needs to explain how Ukraine differs from the other former USSR countries Putin invaded.

And all that is without even addressing the wrongness of Putin invading Ukraine which Paul admits is true. Paul wants the US to stay out of the fray. But Putin has more countries people suspect are next. We, along with the EU and other NATO countries, have to pick a point to stop him.
A fair summary of Pauls heinous behaviour!

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 09:49 AM   #451
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I think a major issue is the oft repeated query by thickies..."What use is all this math we are learning today? Where are we ever going to use it?"

Attempting to put math within the context of analysing and making sense of the world around you? Why should the so called "left liberals" (at least what passes for them in the US) constantly tread on egg shells so that they don't hurt thick-headed conservative "feels"? Talk about who is calling who "snowflakes".
It can be very useful in detecting lies promulgated by politicians, their supporters and corporations.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 06:09 PM   #452
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, yes....the Party of Family Values:

Quote:
Former Idaho State Lawmaker Is Convicted of Raping an Intern
A jury unanimously found Aaron von Ehlinger, a Republican state representative from Lewiston, guilty of raping the 19-year-old in March 2021.
Quote:
A former Idaho state representative was convicted Friday of raping a 19-year-old legislative intern after a dinner in March 2021, a case that spurred the Republican lawmaker’s resignation last year and the censure of another lawmaker who had doxxed the victim.
Quote:
In November, a Republican Idaho lawmaker who had shared the personal information of the woman online after she accused Mr. von Ehlinger was formally censured by the state’s House of Representatives.

Last edited by jimbob; 30th April 2022 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Quote tag synytax
Old 29th April 2022, 08:51 PM   #453
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ah, yes....the Party of Family Values:

Quote:
]Former Idaho State Lawmaker Is Convicted of Raping an Intern
A jury unanimously found Aaron von Ehlinger, a Republican state representative from Lewiston, guilty of raping the 19-year-old in March 2021.
That's really good news because she walked out of the courtroom and they had to withdraw her testimony because she couldn't be cross-examined.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:30 PM   #454
Doubt
Philosopher

https://dallasvoice.com/ethics-compl...-male-staffer/

The GOP is going after Cawthon. Seems like he enjoys doing manly things with other men. Notably one of his own staffers.

Cawthorn with a man is not the source of the ethics complaint. Every other aspect of his relationship with this staffer is the problem. I guess he never heard of Wayne Hayes and Elizabeth Ray.
Old 29th April 2022, 09:41 PM   #455
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post

The GOP is going after Cawthon. Seems like he enjoys doing manly things with other men. Notably one of his own staffers.

Cawthorn with a man is not the source of the ethics complaint. Every other aspect of his relationship with this staffer is the problem. I guess he never heard of Wayne Hayes and Elizabeth Ray.
This immediately makes me wonder how deep a nerve Cawthorn's cocaine and sex party claims touched and how much of this is specifically for the purpose of discrediting him so people don't look into such further. With that said, I'm tempted to say that this couldn't have happened to a better person, but, well... the higher reaches of the GOP seem to have a remarkable number of contenders.
Old 29th April 2022, 09:53 PM   #456
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
This immediately makes me wonder how deep a nerve Cawthorn's cocaine and sex party claims touched and how much of this is specifically for the purpose of discrediting him so people don't look into such further. With that said, I'm tempted to say that this couldn't have happened to a better person, but, well... the higher reaches of the GOP seem to have a remarkable number of contenders.
I describe Cawthorn as having all the mendacity of Matt Gaetz but with half the IQ. And it isn't like Gaetz is a genius.
Old 29th April 2022, 11:40 PM   #457
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As a first order approximation "All GOP accusations are confessions" seems to apply here.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:47 PM   #458
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I describe Cawthorn as having all the mendacity of Matt Gaetz but with half the IQ. And it isn't like Gaetz is a genius.
IOW, the Perfect Fall Guy for the GOP.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 03:54 PM   #459
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not going to link the video but yeah, I'm no expert but...that was gay sex. I wish to point out that there's nothing wrong with gay sex. I also wish to point out that Cawthorn was having gay sex. I will leave it to the reader to decide how this video comports with his public stances on LGBTQ related issues.
Old 5th May 2022, 06:07 PM   #460
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm not going to link the video but yeah, I'm no expert but...that was gay sex. I wish to point out that there's nothing wrong with gay sex. I also wish to point out that Cawthorn was having gay sex. I will leave it to the reader to decide how this video comports with his public stances on LGBTQ related issues.
It's OK, he left his agenda at home.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 09:26 AM   #461
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Man accused of killing wife among winners in Indiana primary race

Andrew Wilhoite, from Lebanon, has been charged with murder in the death of his wife, Nikki Wilhoite, 41.

On Tuesday, he secured a spot as one of three Republican candidates in the race for a seat on the Clinton Township Board.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ge/9673108002/
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 09:55 AM   #462
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Man accused of killing wife among winners in Indiana primary race

Andrew Wilhoite, from Lebanon, has been charged with murder in the death of his wife, Nikki Wilhoite, 41.

On Tuesday, he secured a spot as one of three Republican candidates in the race for a seat on the Clinton Township Board.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ge/9673108002/
[sarcasm]And he had Trump's endorsement! [/sarcasm]

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 09:56 AM   #463
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No I demand a civil debate about why people who murder their wives should be in politics. Come back here and debate me about that you cowards.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:20 PM   #464
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

No I demand a civil debate about why people who murder their wives should be in politics. Come back here and debate me about that you cowards.
God has forgiven him, why shouldn't we? /s
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2022, 01:31 AM   #465
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Taking away their autonomy over their own bodies, cheating on them, beating them, killing them...they're just split tails. I don't see the problem...
Old 9th May 2022, 09:22 AM   #466
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Quote:
Candidate for Michigan governor Ryan D. Kelley says those on the left want to “push this idea of democracy,” but that “in every instance” democracy ends up as communism. This rhetoric is how the right will justify their rule even as the minority voice in this country.
https://twitter.com/leftofcentermi/s...44729596416000

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 09:38 AM   #467
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Fortunately or unfortunately he is one of many vying to run for governor. Our primary is August 8th and we have quite the crowd of whack jobs running and he fits right in. Sadly, regardless of who wins the primary, Whitmer will have a tough run in November. Hopefully she wins, but there are a ton of MAGAs around the state, so no guarantee.
Old 9th May 2022, 09:43 AM   #468
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course he's right, too, having conveniently redefined everything that isn't rule by a minority of ignorant misogynistic reactionary bigots as communism.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 01:07 AM   #469
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

PA has a real nut job running for Gov, too: Doug Mastriano is a dyed-in-the-wool Trump Big Lie supporter who opens his rallies asking if there are "Christian patriots" in the audience.

The right-wing has taken a word that used to mean something positive to virtually all Americans, "patriot", and turned it into a negative for more than half the country.
Old 10th May 2022, 02:08 AM   #470
Aridas

PA has a real nut job running for Gov, too: Doug Mastriano is a dyed-in-the-wool Trump Big Lie supporter who opens his rallies asking if there are "Christian patriots" in the audience.

The right-wing has taken a word that used to mean something positive to virtually all Americans, "patriot", and turned it into a negative for more than half the country.
I dunno about half the country. Patriotism really isn't a bad thing as a concept, which is why it's still so effective. It's just really hard to believe that most of those on the right that loudly try to weaponize patriotism against Democrats both understand and practice actual patriotism. Almost invariably, they constantly prove that they put party over country, after all. Just like they prove that their cries for "Free Speech" means much the opposite.

Either way, those who actually are patriots generally don't see the need to flaunt it, I think.

Last edited by Aridas; 10th May 2022 at 02:12 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 02:16 AM   #471
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Still a nearly 100% strike rate: Any right-wing ranter against some particular "sin" is invariably neck-deep in it themselves.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 02:18 AM   #472
Aridas

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Still a nearly 100% strike rate: Any right-wing ranter against some particular "sin" is invariably neck-deep in it themselves.
"Every accusation is a confession" is a phrase that comes to mind far too accurately for so much of right wing ranting.
Old 11th May 2022, 01:54 AM   #473
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I dunno about half the country. Patriotism really isn't a bad thing as a concept, which is why it's still so effective. It's just really hard to believe that most of those on the right that loudly try to weaponize patriotism against Democrats both understand and practice actual patriotism. Almost invariably, they constantly prove that they put party over country, after all. Just like they prove that their cries for "Free Speech" means much the opposite.

Either way, those who actually are patriots generally don't see the need to flaunt it, I think.
That's my point. When I hear the word 'Patriot' now, I don't envision George Washington, Ben Franklin, etc.; I see someone wearing a MAGA hat at a Trump rally.
Old 11th May 2022, 02:34 AM   #474
Lurch
Master Poster

That's my point. When I hear the word 'Patriot' now, I don't envision George Washington, Ben Franklin, etc.; I see someone wearing a MAGA hat at a Trump rally.
A grunting mob of simians have co-opted a term that once engendered pride by exemplifying the best of citizenry, besmirching, debasing, defiling it by association to the traitorous red hats of the American Brown Shirts who have already enacted their own 'Beer Hall putsch' in service of the Christo-Fascist Party.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:57 AM   #475
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
A grunting mob of simians have co-opted a term that once engendered pride by exemplifying the best of citizenry, besmirching, debasing, defiling it by association to the traitorous red hats of the American Brown Shirts who have already enacted their own 'Beer Hall putsch' in service of the Christo-Fascist Party.
Don't hold back, Lurch. Tell us how you really feel.
Old 12th May 2022, 08:38 AM   #476
eerok
Quixoticist

These days those who call themselves patriots too often show themselves to be treasonous jackasses.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:34 AM   #477
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Christian" as well, at least for me. It's astounding how full of hate most of them are.
Old 12th May 2022, 11:47 AM   #478
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

And the Overton Window gets pulled a bit further to the right.
Old 12th May 2022, 02:38 PM   #479
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And the Overton Window gets pulled a bit further to the right.
But not by that insane outburst.
Old 13th May 2022, 01:27 AM   #480
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"Christian" as well, at least for me. It's astounding how full of hate most of them are.
If you saw the latest Young Sheldon episode, that is depicted quite nicely.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics