IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 10th May 2022, 02:55 AM   #1281
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Still trying to understand the phrase “If he gets away with not breaking the law”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 03:05 AM   #1282
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Still trying to understand the phrase “If he gets away with not breaking the law”
I think that there tens (hundreds) of thousands of people in certain demographics who have direct experience of what you describe. The only surprise in this case is that a white, nominally Christian, straight, middle-aged, middle-class, cis-male is being railroaded.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 10:26 AM   #1283
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I think it's a Kafkaesque thing "You must be guilty of something because otherwise we wouldn't be accusing you of everything".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 11:37 AM   #1284
Garrison
Philosopher

Its reaching new levels of the surreal when the papers that insisted Starmer should quit if he was found guilty are outraged he agrees with them.
Old 10th May 2022, 11:39 AM   #1285
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Its reaching new levels of the surreal when the papers that insisted Starmer should quit if he was found guilty are outraged he agrees with them.
They assumed he was as hypocritical & self serving as they are, when he proved not to be they were outraged.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:30 PM   #1286
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I like* the pivot to "it's a technicality"

When he kept to the regulations and the technicality was that he ate a meal in the middle of a long working night - which was within the spirit and letter of the law.

*not really

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 01:15 PM   #1287
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Perhaps they’re trying to make breaking the law a requirement for being Prime Minister.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 01:26 PM   #1288
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Perhaps they’re trying to make breaking the law a requirement for being Prime Minister.
Stealing that

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:48 PM   #1289
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Millionaire Prince, sat on a gold throne read out some bollocks handed to him by a bunch of corrupt private school bellends that talked about the cost of living crisis.

I love these British traditions.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 04:49 PM   #1290
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If Keir Starmer isn’t fined by the police will the Daily Mail apologise?
Old 10th May 2022, 10:38 PM   #1291
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Almost certainly not but if they are forced to do so it'll be on the bottom of page 34 after weeks of shrill headlines.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 11:14 PM   #1292
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
It was helpful of you to provide the link that directly contradicts the point you made:

"Metro is now distributed at 3,000 points in 50 cities across the UK"

Possibly it might have been a good idea to read the link before posting it.
Recent development?

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 11:24 PM   #1293
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think that there tens (hundreds) of thousands of people in certain demographics who have direct experience of what you describe. The only surprise in this case is that a white, nominally Christian, straight, middle-aged, middle-class, cis-male is being railroaded.
Er, he's leader of the Labour party. There's your answer.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 12:05 AM   #1294
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It won't care as the whole point of the exercise was to distract censure away from the Prime Minister and to interfere in the local elections. After all, it was known about for about a year, yet look at the timing the press chose to splatter the fake news over their front pages relentlessly as if it was a fact Starmer was no better than Johnson.

Old 11th May 2022, 12:12 AM   #1295
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
No, I don't. You have not made any worthwhile comparison between the two, nor supported your claims with any actual evidence.
You also seem confused about what you are complaining about. Support for Brexit was highest among the working class, and also in the right-wing press many of them read. Where is the disconnect there?

Join the dots is pure conspiraspeak, so no, I haven't.
Do please specify exactly what fake news item you are referring to, along with the evidence you have seen that convinced you it was fake.
Then you can demonstrate the influence the owner of the Daily Mail group has on the editorial stance of the Metro. It seems they disagree with you, by the way:
I'll leave you to work out the connection. As a starter: is higher food prices in working class interests? Are long queues at the airport in people's interests or only being able to holiday in the sun for 90 days at a time up to a maximum of 180 days? (Hint: people like Farage made sure they had EU passports so don't have to queue or only stay 90 days at a time.)

Old 11th May 2022, 02:06 AM   #1296
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I'll leave you to work out the connection. As a starter: is higher food prices in working class interests? Are long queues at the airport in people's interests or only being able to holiday in the sun for 90 days at a time up to a maximum of 180 days? (Hint: people like Farage made sure they had EU passports so don't have to queue or only stay 90 days at a time.)
As long as the eastern Europeans and darkies get sent home and the French and Germans don't get to make laws over the UK they are happy.

It's the EU picking on us that is causing the problems.
Old 11th May 2022, 03:55 AM   #1297
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Then Johnson would be over qualified

Old 11th May 2022, 04:52 AM   #1298
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The normalisation of poverty has upped to celebration.

https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/s...47289707458560

Can't see Steve or Cilla.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 11th May 2022 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11th May 2022, 04:56 AM   #1299
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Then Johnson would be over qualified
There's a first time for everything.
Old 11th May 2022, 04:58 AM   #1300
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Question

The normalisation of poverty has upped to celebration.

https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/s...47289707458560

Can't see Steve or Cilla.
It does look like one of his.

Old 11th May 2022, 05:29 AM   #1301
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It does look like one of his.
Satire is dead.
Old 11th May 2022, 06:48 AM   #1302
sarge
Philosopher

Mod Warningstop the bickering, please.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:sarge
Old 11th May 2022, 11:31 AM   #1303
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tory MP Lee Anderson said "I think you will see there is not this massive use for food banks in this country. We have got generation after generation who cannot cook properly. They cannot cook a meal from scratch. They cannot budget."

He claimed people could cook meals from scratch for 30p a day.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...eople-26937597
Old 11th May 2022, 11:43 AM   #1304
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Tory MP Lee Anderson said "I think you will see there is not this massive use for food banks in this country. We have got generation after generation who cannot cook properly. They cannot cook a meal from scratch. They cannot budget."

He claimed people could cook meals from scratch for 30p a day.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...eople-26937597
He's exaggerating. Half a tin of Tesco haricot beans and some rice costs more like 40p (per person).

I seriously wonder whether some of these Tories have a bet running down at their 'Gentleman's club', based on who can make the stupidest public claim without giggling.
Old 11th May 2022, 11:50 AM   #1305
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
He's exaggerating. Half a tin of Tesco haricot beans and some rice costs more like 40p (per person).

I seriously wonder whether some of these Tories have a bet running down at their 'Gentleman's club', based on who can make the stupidest public claim without giggling.
It's not just ingredients though, cooking uses gas or electric.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:01 PM   #1306
GlennB

It's not just ingredients though, cooking uses gas or electric.
Nah, budgeting is the key. Couple of old bricks, some garden debris or twigs from down the park, then cook that stuff over a campfire. Make do and mend! Dunkirk spirit!
Old 11th May 2022, 12:13 PM   #1307
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nah, budgeting is the key. Couple of old bricks, some garden debris or twigs from down the park, then cook that stuff over a campfire. Make do and mend! Dunkirk spirit!
Isn't that more the Leningrad spirit?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 01:10 PM   #1308
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Anderson claimed £222,000 in expenses in 2020/21 including £4,100 on travel and 'subsistence'
Old 11th May 2022, 01:10 PM   #1309
GlennB

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Isn't that more the Leningrad spirit?

Grass can be quite nutritious, I gather. Acorns in autumn, earthworms ... dunno what these poor Brits are moaning about.

More seriously, I've had a big clear out of our jam-packed larder cupboard. I packed spare tins and unopened packets of dry food into some carrier bags and phoned a local food bank. The nice lady who collected nearly broke my heart when she told me they already have a list of over 50 local kids who are unlikely to get any kind of gift at Xmas, and are already working at collecting for them.

**** the Tories.
Old 11th May 2022, 02:28 PM   #1310
catsmate
No longer the 1

Time to find a copy of Herbert Boon's classic How to Live on One-and-Six.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 11:37 PM   #1311
Lothian
should be banned

Grass can be quite nutritious, I gather. Acorns in autumn, earthworms ... dunno what these poor Brits are moaning about.

More seriously, I've had a big clear out of our jam-packed larder cupboard. I packed spare tins and unopened packets of dry food into some carrier bags and phoned a local food bank. The nice lady who collected nearly broke my heart when she told me they already have a list of over 50 local kids who are unlikely to get any kind of gift at Xmas, and are already working at collecting for them.

**** the Tories.
Are any of these people likely to go through the required hoops in order to vote?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 12:25 AM   #1312
Dragon
Graduate Poster

I think you know the answer to that.
As far as I’m aware they have never apologised for their role in the MMR scare, they really are a blight on our national life.
Old 12th May 2022, 01:18 AM   #1313
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

No, they'll take credit for his exoneration as a result of their fearless determination to expose the truth.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 02:12 AM   #1314
GlennB

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Are any of these people likely to go through the required hoops in order to vote?
Good point.
Old 12th May 2022, 03:23 AM   #1315
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Jacob Rees-Mogg asked for his opinion on the Anderson '30p' comments said on Peston “I don’t think it would be right for me to say something like that as I can’t cook”

video in link https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1524608329368092673
Old 12th May 2022, 03:40 AM   #1316
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile "Partygate" rumbles on. Another 50 fines:

Quote:
The Metropolitan Police have issued more than 50 new fines for breaches of Covid rules in Downing Street and other government buildings.

The Fixed Penalty Notices come in addition to more than 50 handed out last month, including to Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak.

The identities of those fined this time are not yet known.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61422144

Of course the real villain here is Sir Keir Starmer and his beer and curry during a late night by-election planning session.
Old 12th May 2022, 03:49 AM   #1317
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Meanwhile "Partygate" rumbles on. Another 50 fines:
Funny how this didn't come out till after the local elections...

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 03:50 AM   #1318
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

No mention of Gove's bizarre TV appearances yesterday morning? Funny voices, scouse accents; he's not on drugs, is he?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 03:58 AM   #1319
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
No mention of Gove's bizarre TV appearances yesterday morning? Funny voices, scouse accents; he's not on drugs, is he?
It was quite bizarre

Old 12th May 2022, 03:59 AM   #1320
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I thought it was a sketch from the Fast Show.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics