IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 9th May 2022, 05:18 PM   #1201
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
On Twitter? Yeah a bit on the nose.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealMarkL...74166530547712

Looks like it's been deleted.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 09:04 PM   #1202
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Should have been but the link still shows for me.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 12:17 AM   #1203
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Should have been but the link still shows for me.
Still works for me, so I took a screenshot of it. So now it is preserved forever.
Old 10th May 2022, 01:50 AM   #1204
Wildy
Adelaidean

You can't trust screenshots in this day and age. What you want to do is archive that stuff like this.
Old 10th May 2022, 06:29 AM   #1205
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Despite News Corp media outlets waging a disgusting gotcha campaign against Albo it looks like heís winning the debates. And I think his support team is massively superior to Joyce Dutton and Fridenberg

Looking good for ALP so far.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 10th May 2022 at 06:30 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 08:21 PM   #1206
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

You remember when I said that reading the liveblog isn't as fun during a campaign as it is when Parliament is sitting? Well.

We're all about to see a whole bunch of photos of Barnaby Joyce with a nosebleed.
Old 10th May 2022, 08:35 PM   #1207
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The idea gives me League of Gentlemen vibes.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 08:45 PM   #1208
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You remember when I said that reading the liveblog isn't as fun during a campaign as it is when Parliament is sitting? Well.

We're all about to see a whole bunch of photos of Barnaby Joyce with a nosebleed.
Who finally punched him?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 08:47 PM   #1209
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Who finally punched him?
No-one - it was as far as I can tell more or less spontaneous. Although there was a suggestion that he had a difficulty with water.
Old 10th May 2022, 08:49 PM   #1210
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

No-one - it was as far as I can tell more or less spontaneous. Although there was a suggestion that he had a difficulty with water.
He punched himself??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2022, 08:57 PM   #1211
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

He punched himself??
Metaphorically, certainly. Has Barnaby ever given a press conference where he did not punch himself in the nose?

Last edited by arthwollipot; 10th May 2022 at 08:59 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 01:28 AM   #1212
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Anyone going to be watching the debate tonight? I sure won't.
Old 11th May 2022, 04:44 AM   #1213
Wildy
Adelaidean

There was a debate tonight?
Old 11th May 2022, 06:42 AM   #1214
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Have not watched one. Cant think of many likely outcomes that would affect my voting and doubt they have any entertainment value for me either.
Old 11th May 2022, 04:57 PM   #1215
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well, yeah, it happened.

Third leaders' debate ended in an awkward moment for Morrison, but Albanese was the clear winner

Quote:
Of the three leaders' debates in this campaign, Anthony Albanese performed best in Wednesday night's less shouty, more civilised encounter.

He looked more relaxed than Scott Morrison, more confident (no doubt due to every public and internal poll conducted in recent weeks) and most importantly, scored more policy wins.

The opening skirmish over wages was a draw. Albanese clarified his earlier position. He may "absolutely" support a 5.1 per cent increase in the minimum wage in line with inflation but wouldn't necessarily be formally asking the independent umpire to deliver one. It's a nuanced distinction. As prime minister, Albanese would welcome such an increase but not ask for one.

Importantly though, he doesn't back away from his essential point ó the lowest paid deserve a real wage rise. Albanese doesn't accept an extra $1 an hour for the "heroes" of the pandemic would drive inflation even higher.

Morrison, by contrast, was more focused on sympathising with small business owners who would struggle to pay such an increase.
Typical. Labor is the party that represents the employees, Liberal is the party that represents the employers.

Quote:
The most awkward moment of the debate came at the close, where moderator Mark Riley (who did a terrific job keeping the leaders in check and on point) invited both leaders to say something nice about their opponent.

Morrison spoke warmly of Albanese's determination to rise from humble beginnings, but only briefly. He pivoted to yet another sledge about his opponent being unfit for the top job.

Sinking the boot at that moment lacked grace.

It contrasted with Albanese's kind words about Morrison's efforts on youth mental health support.

The PM later muttered that he must have misheard the question, clearly recognising how reflexively political he appeared.
Yep, that happened.
Old 11th May 2022, 06:08 PM   #1216
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Quote:
Sevenís The Great Debate: The Final Showdown had an average audience of 527,000 metro viewers, building a significant audience after Big Brother despite finishing after 10.10pm.

The audience was lower than Channel Nineís 641,000 on Sunday night which had a stronger lead-in from Lego Masters.

But Sevenís leadersí debate built on the small Big Brother audience of 379,000 and ensured Seven won the night.

Aired on Wednesday at 9.10pm, Sevenís debate format with Mark Riley as a single moderator was more sober and controlled than the one on Sunday night on Nine.

Anthony Albanese was declared the winner of the final leadersí debate by about 150 undecided voters watching the debate live from pubs in seven marginal seats.
Source
Old 11th May 2022, 09:17 PM   #1217
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Liberal candidate Fiona Martin stinking it up as well. Accusing her opponent Sally Sitou of standing in another seat in an earlier election. Her response:

Quote:
Earlier to day in a candidates’ debate, my opponent Fiona Martin accused me of having previously contested preselection in Fowler.

I have never sought to run for Fowler. I live in Reid, my son goes to school in Reid, and I am excited by the opportunity to represent my community.
It turns out Martin mistook her for another Asian candidate in Fowler.

As Penny Wong said so well, “you all look the same shouldn’t work in the 2020s.

So an apology from Martin? Hell no!

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 11th May 2022 at 09:19 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2022, 09:48 PM   #1218
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So an apology from Martin? Hell no!
Nor from Morrison.
Old 12th May 2022, 08:35 PM   #1219
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

'Bulldozer' Scott Morrison changes his pitch to voters, promising to change his ways

Quote:
The Liberal Party is so acutely conscious of Scott Morrison's unpopularity that its pitch to voters has been crafted to accommodate it.

"It's not a popularity test," Mr Morrison said at the outset of the six-week long election campaign.

Build your own how-to-vote card
Early voting centres are open. Here's your personalised pocket guide to the 2022 election.

"You go to the dentist, it doesn't matter if you like him or not. You want to know they're good at their job."

Having your teeth drilled into is a particularly unpleasant experience to compare your leadership too, but it was an effort to suggest skill and hardiness are more important for a Prime Minister than likeability.

"You may not like everything we've done, you may not like me that much, but that's not the point," he said at the time.

But the Prime Minister has changed his tune as he enters the final week of the campaign, trailing in the polls and momentum swinging behind Labor.

"I know (that) Australians know I can be a bit of a bulldozer when it comes to issues," he conceded.

"As we go into this next period on the other side of the pandemic, I know things that are going to have to change with the way I do things."

A promise to change, if given the chance, "because we're moving into a different time, a time of opportunity."
Amy Remeikis is savage:

Quote:
Wow this press conference has been a journey.

Forget the last 3.5 years and the time as social services minister, immigration minister and treasurer before that and the time in parliament since 2007 - Scott Morrison, a week out from the 2022 election, now knows he needs to change how he does things
Source
Old 12th May 2022, 09:01 PM   #1220
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Wow. Amy isn't the only savage one:

Even Scott Morrison is trying to distance himself from Scott Morrison now

Quote:
If you want to know how much Scott Morrison wants to win this election campaign, I recommend you watch the footage from Fridayís press conference. Morrison wants to win enough to execute a humility flip.

The Liberal campaign has been struggling with its Morrison problem right from the get go. The prime minister is largely a positive for the Coalition in the regions and outer suburbs, but in the Liberal partyís disillusioned progressive heartland, Morrison is seen as irredeemably toxic.

The campaignís first response to this problem has been Operation Permission To Distance. Liberals in marginal seats have been actively differentiating themselves from Morrison for weeks; even the treasurer Josh Frydenberg, close enough to the prime minister to bunk in with him at the Lodge, now puts his differences with Morrison on high rotation.

But evidently thatís not enough.

Morrison now has to distance from Morrison. Heís created Morrison 2.0.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:19 PM   #1221
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Handy link:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/election...de/electorates

Click on the electorate name for a full profile of each electorate and its candidates.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 10:21 PM   #1222
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully enough of this nonsense from Scomo when he gets turfed unceremoniously. And then relegated to coffee-fetching duty for the party meetings in the children's playroom of Cronulla RSL.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:25 PM   #1223
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yep. My electorate has been safe Labor since its discovery in 1974. And here's something I didn't know:

Quote:
The current name Fenner commemorates distinguished scientist Professor Frank Fenner, a renowned virologist whose major achievements included work in the eradication of smallpox, the control of Australia's rabbit plague using the myxoma virus, and his work on malaria in Papua New Guinea.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:33 PM   #1224
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well polls are sometimes wrong, but bookies re hardly ever wrong. Labor is $1.37, LNP is $3.15. A big difference in a two horse race.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12th May 2022, 10:35 PM   #1225
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well polls are sometimes wrong, but bookies re hardly ever wrong. Labor is $1.37, LNP is $3.15. A big difference in a two horse race.
Again, those are just numbers to me. Is a high number better or a low number?
Old 12th May 2022, 10:37 PM   #1226
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Again, those are just numbers to me. Is a high number better or a low number?
A low number means the bookies think it's likely.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:39 PM   #1227
Orphia Nay
Tagger

A low number means the bookies think it's likely.
In addition, it means bookies will pay you $1.37 for every $1 you bet on Labor if Labor wins.

If Liberal wins, they'll pay $3.15 for every $1 you bet on Liberal.

So you see, bookies are confident Liberal aren't going to win and they won't have to pay out a lot more.
Old 12th May 2022, 10:41 PM   #1228
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In addition, it means bookies will pay you $1.37 for every $1 you bet on Labor if Labor wins.

If Liberal wins, they'll pay $3.15 for every $1 you bet on Liberal.

So you see, bookies are confident Liberal aren't going to win and they won't have to pay out a lot more.
Thanks. Since I have no interest in gambling (a negative amount of interest, in fact) all I really need to know is that low numbers are better.
Old 12th May 2022, 11:29 PM   #1229
Wildy
Adelaidean

So one of the independent candidates in my electorate has this as a policy document. That managed to help sort out my vote a little.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:05 AM   #1230
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Shock news of the day:

China is spying on us.

Old 13th May 2022, 12:05 AM   #1231
Wildy
Adelaidean

But how is that Labor's fault?
Old 13th May 2022, 12:06 AM   #1232
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Oh wow. Trumpian.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 13th May 2022, 12:07 AM   #1233
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

But how is that Labor's fault?
Since they've known about this for a couple of weeks but have chosen to make an announcement now, Labor is accusing them of using it to stir up fear.

Since this sort of thing happens literally all the time, the fact that Dutton held a press conference to tell us all about it this time is pretty suss in my opinion.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:18 AM   #1234
Wildy
Adelaidean

Oh wow. Trumpian.
I have that guy, the Liberal Democrats, UAP and One Nation running a candidate in my electorate. If I wanted Trumpian I'd be spoiler for choice. But since I don't my main choice is between Labor and the teal independent candidate because I like both of what they have to offer.

Since they've known about this for a couple of weeks but have chosen to make an announcement now, Labor is accusing them of using it to stir up fear.

Since this sort of thing happens literally all the time, the fact that Dutton held a press conference to tell us all about it this time is pretty suss in my opinion.
Of course. You have to get around the fact that the PM couldn't say a nice thing about his opponent and basically said he could change in the same way an abusive spouse would.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:32 AM   #1235
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have that guy, the Liberal Democrats, UAP and One Nation running a candidate in my electorate. If I wanted Trumpian I'd be spoiler for choice. But since I don't my main choice is between Labor and the teal independent candidate because I like both of what they have to offer.
I've got a UAP candidate who actually has a photo and a bio on the page that Orph linked to earlier, and I've got Lib Dem and One Nation ghosts. They'll be last on my ballot.
Old 13th May 2022, 01:36 AM   #1236
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A few signs around Darwin pointing out that Morrison sold the port to the Chinese government. That is going to have some of their voters thinking.
Old 13th May 2022, 02:05 AM   #1237
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

A few signs around Darwin pointing out that Morrison sold the port to the Chinese government. That is going to have some of their voters thinking.
You're in Darwin?
Old 13th May 2022, 02:11 AM   #1238
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

You're in Darwin?
Yes, lived here on and off since 1968.
Old 13th May 2022, 02:14 AM   #1239
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, lived here on and off since 1968.
Heh! Would have crossed paths in 1970/71. Lived in Larrakeyah, near the old hospital.
Old 13th May 2022, 02:23 AM   #1240
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Heh! Would have crossed paths in 1970/71. Lived in Larrakeyah, near the old hospital.
At that time we lived in Fannie Bay and I went to Parap preschool.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics