IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 10th March 2022, 03:32 AM   #321
Worm
Illuminator

As long as the press stick on the right side of 'this is what was said in the House' compared to 'this is accurate information', then it's a bit of a non-issue.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 03:36 AM   #322
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

From Tuesday, Ukrainian nationals with a passport or ID card will be able to apply for a visa entirely virtually, without having to visit a visa application centre.
Eligible Ukrainians will receive an email confirmation to allow them to board a plane, train or boat.

Plus, the Army are going to be sent to the Visa centres to help out, if the French and Belgium governments agree to the British Army entering the countries.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 03:40 AM   #323
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't the government pass a law that lets citizenship be revoked?
Why not cancel the Russian visas, unless the 'golden' visas have special terms of course.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 03:42 AM   #324
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Carter-Ruck and Harbottle-Lewis are two of the law firms involved.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10th March 2022, 03:53 AM   #325
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is added to UK sanctions list.
That's harsh, he's only had a couple of weeks to get his money out.
Old 10th March 2022, 03:57 AM   #326
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A new streamlined approach for Ukrainians to come to the UK will be in operation from next Tuesday, Home Secretary Priti Patel has told MPs.

Refugees won't need to go to a visa application centre. Instead they will be able to apply digitally, and give their biometric data when they get to the UK, she said.

"Ukrainians with passports will be able go get permission to come here fully online, from wherever they are", Patel said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60685883
Old 10th March 2022, 04:00 AM   #327
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A new streamlined approach for Ukrainians to come to the UK will be in operation from next Tuesday, Home Secretary Priti Patel has told MPs.

Refugees won't need to go to a visa application centre. Instead they will be able to apply digitally, and give their biometric data when they get to the UK, she said.

"Ukrainians with passports will be able go get permission to come here fully online, from wherever they are", Patel said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60685883
Yeah because as we know IT projects done quickly always work 100% when they are rolled out...
Old 10th March 2022, 04:09 AM   #328
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Chelsea can still operate under a special licence but will not be allowed to sell any more tickets. Only season ticket holders can go to games for the foreseeable future.
Old 10th March 2022, 04:12 AM   #329
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Martin Lewis on Radio 4 just now says he is slightly worried that we are seeing 'potentially a deliberate narrative shift' that says the cost of living crisis is due to Ukraine and we all need to make sacrifices.
Old 10th March 2022, 04:17 AM   #330
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Don’t worry about the cost of living crisis or fuel bills, the government has found a way to make it all better.
They are bringing forward plans for a new £1250 million 'flagship' to be Britain's 'Jewel in the Crown'. They plan to unveil it ahead of the Jubilee.

Can't they just use one of the seized Super Yachts?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...head-platinum/
Old 10th March 2022, 04:48 AM   #331
erwinl
Illuminator

From Tuesday, Ukrainian nationals with a passport or ID card will be able to apply for a visa entirely virtually, without having to visit a visa application centre.
Eligible Ukrainians will receive an email confirmation to allow them to board a plane, train or boat.

Plus, the Army are going to be sent to the Visa centres to help out, if the French and Belgium governments agree to the British Army entering the countries.
Now why do I have the sneaky suspicion that eligible will mean things like 'not many' and 'not soon either'?
Old 10th March 2022, 04:51 AM   #332
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Now why do I have the sneaky suspicion that eligible will mean things like 'not many' and 'not soon either'?
It's set to start next Tuesday.
Old 10th March 2022, 05:03 AM   #333
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It was announced it's set to start Tuesday. That gets the headlines for the weekend sorted out.
Old 10th March 2022, 05:09 AM   #334
erwinl
Illuminator

Starting next Tuesday to start the process of vetting the fugitives for eligibility?
And when will they receive a confirmation? The next day? Or somewhere next month?

I'm very open to being surprised in this one, but at this very moment I'm still sceptical.

In the mean time France have already received 7500 fugitives from Ukraine and the amount of fugitives send away from their border is, by my knowledge, zero.
Neither of which the UK has anything to boast about.
Old 10th March 2022, 08:08 AM   #335
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I keep on saying, the Britxers are under the delusion that Queen Victoria is still on the throne and Britian has a vast overseas empire.
It does, they just happen to be in a state of rebellion for a few decades, like between Russia and Ukraine.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 08:15 AM   #336
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Starting next Tuesday to start the process of vetting the fugitives for eligibility?

...snip....
I see you do not understand how the UK government works.

When they are criticised by their comrades - the likes of the Daily Mail and The Sun, they will work out what needs to be announced to get back in their good books. These announcements are only about the public facing spin and getting a good headline. They are not linked to actual plans, actual activity or anything that wasn't pulled from their arse in the last 5 minutes.

We still haven't got a system up and running for the Afghanistan people who worked with us and are in danger of their lives if they remain in Afghanistan. And that was announced last summer to be in place by August 2021.
Old 10th March 2022, 08:19 AM   #337
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I have had folk around here tell me apparently completely seriously that it's terrible they have lost their cleaner because she decided to back to Poland/Albania/etc.
They shouldn't think of it as a loss, they should think of it as an opportunity to employ a true british person.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 08:21 AM   #338
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
They shouldn't think of it as a loss, they should think of it as an opportunity to employ a true british person.
But they want more money and aren't scared of complaining to the authorities.
Old 10th March 2022, 08:25 AM   #339
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But they want more money and aren't scared of complaining to the authorities.
Isn't that the Sunny Uplands though?
Old 10th March 2022, 09:44 AM   #340
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

When Anneka Rice is attacking the Home Secretary

Quote:
Honestly, if my series had been called Challenge Priti the series would have fallen off air in episode 1
https://twitter.com/AnnekaRice/statu...15435037569024

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 10:09 AM   #341
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
Back to the issue of visas for Ukrainians wanting to flee to the UK, and Boris Johnson has been explaining why he is insisting on checks on people entering the country.

Some of those coming to the UK may still be armed, he said, and "perhaps not all of their identities are completely clear, their motivations completely clear."
Their motivation is to come and steal British jobs!

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 10:25 AM   #342
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I see you do not understand how the UK government works.

When they are criticised by their comrades - the likes of the Daily Mail and The Sun, they will work out what needs to be announced to get back in their good books. These announcements are only about the public facing spin and getting a good headline. They are not linked to actual plans, actual activity or anything that wasn't pulled from their arse in the last 5 minutes.
You missed an important part - the scheme will be described as 'world-leading'.
Old 10th March 2022, 10:47 AM   #343
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And the announcement has worked, made the BBC reports, explaining it all as if it will happen. Of course come Tuesday something else will have attracted the news agenda and this will be another successful policy* of the Tories.

*Tory newspeak: policy means announcement
Old 10th March 2022, 11:16 AM   #344
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Just reading through the 1951 Refugee Convention that we're signed up to
Funny, but it doesn't appear to mention visas anywhere, or sponsorship.

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/about-us/ba...-protocol.html
Old 10th March 2022, 11:18 AM   #345
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Just reading through the 1951 Refugee Convention that we're signed up to
Funny, but it doesn't appear to mention visas anywhere, or sponsorship.

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/about-us/ba...-protocol.html
The UK government's position has been quite clear - the UK is not bound by any treaty.
Old 10th March 2022, 04:48 PM   #346
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The NFU is asking the government to release an additional 10,000 visas under the Seasonal Workers Scheme, in addition to the 30,000 already granted.
Old 10th March 2022, 05:10 PM   #347
p0lka
Master Poster

At PMQs Boris said the UK has done more to resettle vulnerable people since 2015 than any other country in Europe.
Probably one of the most barefaced lies he has ever told.
Unparalleled even.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 05:15 PM   #348
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
You missed an important part - the scheme will be described as 'world-leading'.
and coming over the next hill, if only you vote for them.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2022, 05:45 PM   #349
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Over on GB News, Nigel Farage is complaining on his show about the government sanctioning Russian oligarchs.

"Is it right to seize people's assets without any form of due process? And will it really turn Russians against Vladimir Putin? I'm concerned about the way this is being done."
He complained there's no "equity" for those being sanctioned and asked Theo Paphitis: "Where's the due process?"
Paphitis said "There's no due process about moving into Ukraine and bombing innocent civilians, so please don't give me 'no due process.'"

Good for Theo!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 10th March 2022 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10th March 2022, 11:58 PM   #350
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Over on GB News, Nigel Farage is complaining on his show about the government sanctioning Russian oligarchs.

"Is it right to seize people's assets without any form of due process? And will it really turn Russians against Vladimir Putin? I'm concerned about the way this is being done."
He complained there's no "equity" for those being sanctioned and asked Theo Paphitis: "Where's the due process?"
Paphitis said "There's no due process about moving into Ukraine and bombing innocent civilians, so please don't give me 'no due process.'"

Good for Theo!
Well, of course, the government cannot seize Russian oligarchs' assets (as in confiscate) without due cause (such as Proceeds of Crime Act, for which it would need to prosecute first, which it can't without the Crown Prosecution Process). However, it CAN and HAS made these assets subject to needing a licence for any taken action on them, such as selling them or initiating a legal process, such as making an appeal or hiring a lawyer.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2022, 12:36 AM   #351
Mojo
Mostly harmless

At PMQs Boris said the UK has done more to resettle vulnerable people since 2015 than any other country in Europe.
Probably one of the most barefaced lies he has ever told.

It’s got a lot of competition, for example: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ng-times-video

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2022, 02:18 AM   #352
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The NFU is asking the government to release an additional 10,000 visas under the Seasonal Workers Scheme, in addition to the 30,000 already granted.
Control of our borders.... except when it is inconvenient to the money people.

Last edited by Darat; 11th March 2022 at 02:24 AM. Reason: autocorrectguessingkeybopardthinghayououldn'tautocorrectthis!
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2022, 02:23 AM   #353
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Well, of course, the government cannot seize Russian oligarchs' assets (as in confiscate) without due cause (such as Proceeds of Crime Act, for which it would need to prosecute first, which it can't without the Crown Prosecution Process). However, it CAN and HAS made these assets subject to needing a licence for any taken action on them, such as selling them or initiating a legal process, such as making an appeal or hiring a lawyer.
Of course it can. Parliament is supreme, they could have brought a bill forward "We will ignore law a,b,c and take hold of all assets we can of Mr X, Ms R, Mr Y", there is no way it wouldn't have passed in a quick sitting in the HoC and then it becomes the law of the land. (Probably get a lot of Tories not voting for it...)
Old 11th March 2022, 02:31 AM   #354
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Of course it can. Parliament is supreme, they could have brought a bill forward "We will ignore law a,b,c and take hold of all assets we can of Mr X, Ms R, Mr Y", there is no way it wouldn't have passed in a quick sitting in the HoC and then it becomes the law of the land. (Probably get a lot of Tories not voting for it...)
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debat...b.158.0#g159.1

Quote:
“(1) The Secretary of State may by notice publish the name of a person being considered as a subject for sanctions.

(2) A person in respect of whom a notice has been published under subsection (1) is immediately subject to the provisions of this section.

(3) A person in respect of whom a notice has been published under subsection (1) is prohibited from—

(a) selling any assets they own or have an interest in,

(b) moving any assets they own or have an interest in out of the United Kingdom, or

(c) moving any of their funds out of the United Kingdom.
<snip>
AYE 234 (8 Conservatives)
NO 299 (all Conservatives)

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 11th March 2022 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Formatting and chopping
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2022, 03:23 AM   #355
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If I were a refugee the UK would be the last place on my list.
Why would I move to a country with a government paid for & run by Russians?
There are ministers now who wouldn't get a visa.
Old 11th March 2022, 03:45 AM   #356
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

You are confusing 'can' with 'could'. I was actually refuting Nigel Farage's claim that the government has seized oligarch's assets, when in fact, that is not the case. As the law stands it cannot seize anyone's assets, except via criminal proceedings, bankruptcy/liquidation and or other High Court proceedings.

In the case of Abramovich it appears to be treating Chelsea FC in a similar way to a company in Administration, however, there is a clause that Abramovich cannot benefit from the proceeds of sale, so one wonders who will get the goodwill or profit from any such sale. Maybe the government as the Special Licence holder. Hmmm.

Or maybe it will be taken as 'fees' by the agency acting as the licence providers.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2022, 03:46 AM   #357
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

If I were a refugee the UK would be the last place on my list.
Why would I move to a country with a government paid for & run by Russians?
There are ministers now who wouldn't get a visa.
And you can only stay for a year. Compare and contrast with the EU. When you consider 50% of the refuges are children, it seems hard to believe that fear of disguised Russian spies is the reason for the caution.

Old 11th March 2022, 04:06 AM   #358
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Priti Patel ignored warnings that the Home Office contractor which told desperate Ukrainian refugees to wait weeks for visa appointments had the “sole focus” of making a profit and a history of squeezing cash out of applicants, openDemocracy can reveal.

It was claimed yesterday in Parliament that TLSContact’s visa centre in Rzeszow, Poland, had turned away applicants who had queued in freezing temperatures for hours, saying it had no slots available until the end of April. Reports on social media claimed the firm had been pressuring Ukrainians to pay for extra services beyond its basic free appointments.

Now it has emerged that the home secretary was told by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration in November 2021 that TLSContact was so hell-bent on making profit that its use posed a risk of “reputational damage” to the UK. The firm has been handed government contracts worth hundreds of millions of pounds since 2014.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ukr...?utm_source=tw
Old 11th March 2022, 04:12 AM   #359
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Priti Patel ignored warnings that the Home Office contractor which told desperate Ukrainian refugees to wait weeks for visa appointments had the “sole focus” of making a profit and a history of squeezing cash out of applicants, openDemocracy can reveal.

It was claimed yesterday in Parliament that TLSContact’s visa centre in Rzeszow, Poland, had turned away applicants who had queued in freezing temperatures for hours, saying it had no slots available until the end of April. Reports on social media claimed the firm had been pressuring Ukrainians to pay for extra services beyond its basic free appointments.

Now it has emerged that the home secretary was told by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration in November 2021 that TLSContact was so hell-bent on making profit that its use posed a risk of “reputational damage” to the UK. The firm has been handed government contracts worth hundreds of millions of pounds since 2014.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ukr...?utm_source=tw
That report was obviously a load of crap - any report that thinks the UK still has any reputation left to be damaged is deluded!
Old 11th March 2022, 04:42 AM   #360
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In 1915, the exhibition buildings at Earls Court were turned into a refugee centre to accommodate up to 2000 refugees from Europe.

I’ve suddenly thought of a use for all those Nightingale hospital beds that must still be in storage somewhere.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics