IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Reply
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:05 AM   #121
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,232
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
MSM and Pharma guys:

Re prostate cancer claims against Zantac, Maybe there is a better search term, or a better search engine, because no msm pages were seen on google for the search term


Zantac linked to prostate cancer on abc, cbs, nbc..


Maybe there is something to the claim that MSM favors big pharma?
Nope.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:28 AM   #122
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,754
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
I know you're mad at me for not warning you earlier. It's too late for you now. But you have to make the effort to remove the poison from your body, there is always hope, my friend.
If we're all about to be devastated by a massive but invisible cosmic object in... 18 days now, why would we worry about COVID-19 or vaccines?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:53 AM   #123
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,398
correcting misinformation re Christine Massey

The world contains several people named Christine Massey. One of them, a resident of Brampton, Ontario, has submitted numerous FOI requests to obtain blandly uninformative formal responses, which conspiracy theorists such as Petra have been citing as though they were evidence against the very existence of SARS-CoV-2.

Both Petra and smartcooky have mischaracterized that person's professional and educational background. I quoted smartcooky's mistake without checking it:

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
Microbiologist, Christine Massey,
No:
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Christine Massey is not a microbiologist.
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Christine Massey is NOT a microbiologist! She holds an undergraduate degree (B.A.) from the University of Ottawa and a Master’s degree (M.A.) from Simon Fraser University... in psychology!

If you can't tell the difference between a microbiologist and a psychologist, then its no wonder you have trouble understanding anything. Planigale is better qualified to pontificate on microbiology than Massey!

In reality, the Christine Massey of FOI infamy, who resides in Brampton, Ontario, is neither a microbiologist nor a psychologist. In her own words:

Originally Posted by Christine Massey
I am a professional biostatistician working in the field of cancer research, and earned my Master􏰀s degree at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto.

...snipped 7 pages of ranting against fluoridation of water...

Best wishes,
Christine Massey, M.Sc.
Brampton, ON
Spokesperson, Fluoride Free Peel
So the Christine Massey cited by Petra and her fellow travelers is neither a microbiologist nor a psychologist, but a soi-disant biostatistician and inveterate nutjob in the tradition of General Jack T Ripper.

I apologize for my error.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:30 AM   #124
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 35,778
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Vaccine Goes Into Liver Cells and Is Converted to DNA -permanent chromosomal change.
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
I know you're mad at me for not warning you earlier. It's too late for you now. But you have to make the effort to remove the poison from your body, there is always hope, my friend.

__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:09 AM   #125
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,346
(for certain definitions of "permanent chromosomal change") I guess.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:03 AM   #126
Disbelief
Illuminator
 
Disbelief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,048
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
I know you're mad at me for not warning you earlier. It's too late for you now. But you have to make the effort to remove the poison from your body, there is always hope, my friend.
You said in another thread that the vaccine would tear us apart from the inside. Do you know how long after receiving it this is supposed to occur? If the evil doers are bent on reducing population, why would they target people who comply more easily? Wouldn't it be smarter to truly vaccinate the compliant and then kill off the ones who refuse? Why fill the world with those they can't easily control?
__________________
Zensmack (LastChild, Laughing Assassin, RazetheFlag, Wastrel, TruthbyDecree) - Working his way up the sock puppet chain, trying to overtake P'Doh. Or, are they the same?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:43 AM   #127
Emre_1974tr
Muse
 
Emre_1974tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
You said in another thread that the vaccine would tear us apart from the inside. Do you know how long after receiving it this is supposed to occur? If the evil doers are bent on reducing population, why would they target people who comply more easily? Wouldn't it be smarter to truly vaccinate the compliant and then kill off the ones who refuse? Why fill the world with those they can't easily control?

Deaths and injuries have already begun and are increasing rapidly.

The answer to your 2. question is from the Qur'an:

Holy Quran

6:137 And it was adorned for the polytheists, by their partners, to kill their children in order to turn them and to confound their system for them. Had God willed they would not have done this, so ignore them and what they invent.

14:46 Andthey schemed their scheming, and their scheming is known to God; and their scheming was enough to make the mountains cease to exist.

2:205 And if he gains power, he seeks to corrupt the earth and destroy its crops, and the lineage. God does not love corruption.
Emre_1974tr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:44 AM   #128
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,232
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Deaths and injuries have already begun and are increasing rapidly.
Nope.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:48 AM   #129
Disbelief
Illuminator
 
Disbelief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,048
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Deaths and injuries have already begun and are increasing rapidly.
No they haven't, but you should be able to tell us when we can expect to die if we've been vaccinated. How long after injection? Why do we need boosters?

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post

The answer to your 2. question is from the Qur'an:

Holy Quran

6:137 And it was adorned for the polytheists, by their partners, to kill their children in order to turn them and to confound their system for them. Had God willed they would not have done this, so ignore them and what they invent.

14:46 Andthey schemed their scheming, and their scheming is known to God; and their scheming was enough to make the mountains cease to exist.

2:205 And if he gains power, he seeks to corrupt the earth and destroy its crops, and the lineage. God does not love corruption.
That doesn't answer my questions in the slightest. How about you tell me in your own words.
__________________
Zensmack (LastChild, Laughing Assassin, RazetheFlag, Wastrel, TruthbyDecree) - Working his way up the sock puppet chain, trying to overtake P'Doh. Or, are they the same?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:01 AM   #130
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,754
Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
You said in another thread that the vaccine would tear us apart from the inside. Do you know how long after receiving it this is supposed to occur? If the evil doers are bent on reducing population, why would they target people who comply more easily? Wouldn't it be smarter to truly vaccinate the compliant and then kill off the ones who refuse? Why fill the world with those they can't easily control?
How dare you bring logic into God's house!
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:08 AM   #131
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,754
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Deaths and injuries have already begun and are increasing rapidly.
Source? Numbers? How many have died so far?

Quote:
The answer to your 2. question is from the Qur'an:

Holy Quran

6:137 And it was adorned for the polytheists, by their partners, to kill their children in order to turn them and to confound their system for them. Had God willed they would not have done this, so ignore them and what they invent.

14:46 Andthey schemed their scheming, and their scheming is known to God; and their scheming was enough to make the mountains cease to exist.

2:205 And if he gains power, he seeks to corrupt the earth and destroy its crops, and the lineage. God does not love corruption.
I've got books, too!

The Peripheral, by William Gibson - page 329:

"Conspiracy theory's got to be simple. Sense doesn't come into it. People are more scared of how complicated **** actually is than they ever are about whoever's supposed to be behind the conspiracy."
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:31 AM   #132
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 2,382
So, this means that 'cos I'm an atheist I'm OK, as that line from the Qur'an only mentions polytheists.

It gets even harder to keep up with these conspiracies when religion is dragged into it as well, because the levels of incomprehensibility expand and expand and expand...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:34 AM   #133
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Source? Numbers? How many have died so far?



I've got books, too!

The Peripheral, by William Gibson - page 329:

"Conspiracy theory's got to be simple. Sense doesn't come into it. People are more scared of how complicated **** actually is than they ever are about whoever's supposed to be behind the conspiracy."
I have a load of books also.

Currently I'm reading Ronald Hutton's The Witch - A history of fear from ancient times to the present. This has a lot of stuff about folk believing that others (witches) can cause harm and illness to other people at a distance. Just waiting for Covid to be put down to witches...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:36 AM   #134
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Слава Україні
Posts: 11,122
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Deaths and injuries have already begun and are increasing rapidly.

The answer to your 2. question is from the Qur'an:

Holy Quran

6:137 And it was adorned for the polytheists, by their partners, to kill their children in order to turn them and to confound their system for them. Had God willed they would not have done this, so ignore them and what they invent.

14:46 Andthey schemed their scheming, and their scheming is known to God; and their scheming was enough to make the mountains cease to exist.

2:205 And if he gains power, he seeks to corrupt the earth and destroy its crops, and the lineage. God does not love corruption.
As I've said in your Quran thread where you keep running away from arguments, the Quran is poorly written self insert fanfiction.

It's meaningless. Allah isn't real.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:02 AM   #135
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,784
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
So, this means that 'cos I'm an atheist I'm OK, as that line from the Qur'an only mentions polytheists.

It gets even harder to keep up with these conspiracies when religion is dragged into it as well, because the levels of incomprehensibility expand and expand and expand...
Look. It's quite simple.
If the Qur'an says something obviously stupid, like the sun setting in a muddy pool, and Emre doesn't like it, then the Qur'an doesn't say that: you have to change the interpretation so it says what Emre wants it to say, and only Emre is allowed to say what that is.

If the Qur'an says something cruel and vicious, like a command to cut the hands and feet off of those who oppose you, and Emre doesn't like that either, then the Qur'an doesn't say that either: it only applies to certain people at a certain time, and anyway, Arabs are wrong and stupid, because Emre says so.

If, on the other hand, the Qur'an says something that might support whatever Emre is saying, then it absolutely does mean what it says, and says what it means, because Emre likes it and now it's the clear and unarguable word of god that applies universally and needs no interpretation, because Emre said so.
See? Simples.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:32 PM   #136
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
I know you're mad at me for not warning you earlier. It's too late for you now. But you have to make the effort to remove the poison from your body, there is always hope, my friend.

I'm not mad at you, I'm laughing at you because I think you might actually believe the nonsensical claptrap you have been posting.


18 days to go!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd March 2022 at 12:35 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 02:25 PM   #137
MBDK
Critical Thinker
 
MBDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
I know you're mad at me for not warning you earlier. It's too late for you now. But you have to make the effort to remove the poison from your body, there is always hope, my friend.
FYI, the only poison of serious concern in MY life is the misinformation you, like all the rabid propaganda zombies of the internet, attempt to spread.

Hmmmm...a little aside here. As a homage to old sci-fi movies of the 50s - 60s, that would make a good title - "Rabid Propaganda Zombies of the Internet".

Back to the point. Fortunately, my precautions of being educated, logical and of a sound critical-thinking mind have provided me with a strong immunity to your particular disease. I see there are many others in this forum, who have taken or exhibit similar preventative techniques, so it seems the only reason you continue to even be responded to is as a case study of your nefarious actions. That's MY reason, anyway.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:14 PM   #138
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,367
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
If we're all about to be devastated by a massive but invisible cosmic object in... 18 days now, why would we worry about COVID-19 or vaccines?

Wait, did I miss a doomsday prophecy?
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:17 PM   #139
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,346
[South African soccer field grass rustles in fear]
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:19 PM   #140
junkshop
Muse
 
junkshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Where the gin was.
Posts: 941
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Wait, did I miss a doomsday prophecy?
This one (don't get your hopes up, it's just a reboot, and kinda squirrely on the details already).
__________________
Not a Cockney.

Last edited by junkshop; 3rd March 2022 at 04:21 PM.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:29 PM   #141
Emre_1974tr
Muse
 
Emre_1974tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
FYI, the only poison of serious concern in MY life is the misinformation you, like all the rabid propaganda zombies of the internet, attempt to spread.

.
You explained yourself. This is you.
Emre_1974tr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:42 PM   #142
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,754
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
You explained yourself. This is you.
I know you are. But what am I?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:56 PM   #143
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,232
Plague rat doctor pleads guilty to Jan 6 charges.
Quote:
Simone Gold, the founder of America’s Frontline Doctors, a group notorious for questioning the safety and effectiveness of COVID vaccines and promoting unproven drugs, has pleaded guilty to participating in the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

As part of an agreement with the government, Gold pleaded guilty on Thursday to one count of entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds, a misdemeanor offense. She had been facing four other charges, including the felony of obstruction of an official proceeding.
Because of course.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:58 PM   #144
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,690
telemedicine and ivermectin

"ABC News was able to obtain 28 pills of ivermectin for a total of $339, including a $90 telemedicine consultation fee and a charge of $249 from an online pharmacy -- which included a $25 shipping fee for overnight delivery -- after filling out an application and providing a medical history through a telemedicine platform, and having a brief conversation with someone who claimed to have no knowledge about the drug or COVID-19." ABC news

Nice work if you can get it.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:59 PM   #145
MBDK
Critical Thinker
 
MBDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
You explained yourself. This is you.
Naw. Unlike you, I can come up with my own descriptions of things I actually experience (e.g., engaging contaminants such as you in this forum), and in so doing, can easily distance myself from such rabble as you - unable to form an original thought, and even less likely to understand the logic in coherent discourse that differs from your programming.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:13 PM   #146
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
"ABC News was able to obtain 28 pills of ivermectin for a total of $339, including a $90 telemedicine consultation fee and a charge of $249 from an online pharmacy -- which included a $25 shipping fee for overnight delivery -- after filling out an application and providing a medical history through a telemedicine platform, and having a brief conversation with someone who claimed to have no knowledge about the drug or COVID-19." ABC news

Nice work if you can get it.
Sales to the gullible

In New Zealand, you can walk into a vet and buy a 5 pack of Ivermectin wormer for your horse for $14.95 including tax.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd March 2022 at 10:16 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:33 PM   #147
Petra
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
The world contains several people named Christine Massey. One of them, a resident of Brampton, Ontario, has submitted numerous FOI requests to obtain blandly uninformative formal responses, which conspiracy theorists such as Petra have been citing as though they were evidence against the very existence of SARS-CoV-2.

Both Petra and smartcooky have mischaracterized that person's professional and educational background. I quoted smartcooky's mistake without checking it:




In reality, the Christine Massey of FOI infamy, who resides in Brampton, Ontario, is neither a microbiologist nor a psychologist. In her own words:


So the Christine Massey cited by Petra and her fellow travelers is neither a microbiologist nor a psychologist, but a soi-disant biostatistician and inveterate nutjob in the tradition of General Jack T Ripper.

I apologize for my error.
Thank you for pointing out the error, Clinger, however, I think you tend to miss the forest for the trees. The main point is the FOI campaign she has organised, not her qualifications, and when you say "to obtain blandly uninformative formal responses" you need to be more specific.

To me, what would act as a criticism of her campaign is the explanation of why the criteria she has specified are not relevant to virus isolation but I see no evidence of it. I would have thought at least ONE institution who's responded to her FOI request would have said, "No, we have no evidence of what you request, however, X, Y and Z" explaining that whatever they do possess does indeed reflect the correct scientific method used to to perform isolation of the alleged virus but I'm not aware of such a response.

Perhaps you can enlighten me Clinger.
Petra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:27 PM   #148
Purple Pangolin
Scholar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kitsap Peninsula
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
Thank you for pointing out the error, Clinger, however, I think you tend to miss the forest for the trees. The main point is the FOI campaign she has organised, not her qualifications, and when you say "to obtain blandly uninformative formal responses" you need to be more specific.

To me, what would act as a criticism of her campaign is the explanation of why the criteria she has specified are not relevant to virus isolation but I see no evidence of it. I would have thought at least ONE institution who's responded to her FOI request would have said, "No, we have no evidence of what you request, however, X, Y and Z" explaining that whatever they do possess does indeed reflect the correct scientific method used to to perform isolation of the alleged virus but I'm not aware of such a response.

Perhaps you can enlighten me Clinger.

Petra could you please, in your own words, explain the steps of the scientific method?
Purple Pangolin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 12:13 AM   #149
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,784
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
[South African soccer field grass rustles in fear]


I remember that one!
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 12:26 AM   #150
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 5,784
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
Thank you for pointing out the error, Clinger, however, I think you tend to miss the forest for the trees. The main point is the FOI campaign she has organised, not her qualifications, and when you say "to obtain blandly uninformative formal responses" you need to be more specific.

To me, what would act as a criticism of her campaign is the explanation of why the criteria she has specified are not relevant to virus isolation but I see no evidence of it. I would have thought at least ONE institution who's responded to her FOI request would have said, "No, we have no evidence of what you request, however, X, Y and Z" explaining that whatever they do possess does indeed reflect the correct scientific method used to to perform isolation of the alleged virus but I'm not aware of such a response.

Perhaps you can enlighten me Clinger.
Against my better judgement, and more for the benefit of others rather than any expectation of a coherent response from Petra- which in any case I will probably ignore (Sauce for the goose, and all that, Petra):

Petra is ignoring the fact that W.D. Clinger linked to the actual FOI requests, and the actual answers, from each institution. It really can't get any more specific than that.
Had she actually bothered to read them, she might have discovered this:

Originally Posted by Sinai Health, in the link Petra couldn't be arsed to read
I have been engaging with our experts at Sinai Health regarding your request. We are not clear on the records that you are requesting, as we are not aware that isolation of a virus in the manner that you have described is possible for any virus; it is not within the scope of current scientific processes.
On this basis, we are not able to process your request as it is currently worded.
We wrote to you on July 30 and August 8, 2020 seeking clarification of your request, however you declined to speak with us and did not provide a substantive response.
Pretty much says it all: the request is either deliberately dishonest, so as to provoke answers that can be spun into a conspiracy theory, or based on a profound ignorance of the science in question. It could, of course, be both- i.e., ignorant and dishonest.
Note also that Petra has relied heavily on a lack of response as a form of positive evidence. That criterium should also be applied here as well, then.

In any case, I think this should provide an answer that would satisfy any reasonable person.
No doubt Petra will find some reason to continue being unreasonable.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 01:34 AM   #151
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
<polite snip>

It could, of course, be both- i.e., ignorant and dishonest.

<polite snip>
Indeed. It is a well-understood fact that ignorance and dishonesty are not mutually exclusive, a fact had has been demonstrated plentifully and repeatedly in this thread!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 4th March 2022 at 02:11 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 04:47 AM   #152
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,220
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Indeed. It is a well-understood fact that ignorance and dishonesty are not mutually exclusive, a fact had has been demonstrated plentifully and repeatedly in this thread!
If a person knows enough about a topic to be dishonest about it then the ignorance they display is both willful and feigned.

And most frequently displayed by those who reside under bridges.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 06:14 AM   #153
Disbelief
Illuminator
 
Disbelief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,048
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
How dare you bring logic into God's house!
Just curious how true believers answer. As expected, gibberish was the result.
__________________
Zensmack (LastChild, Laughing Assassin, RazetheFlag, Wastrel, TruthbyDecree) - Working his way up the sock puppet chain, trying to overtake P'Doh. Or, are they the same?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 06:24 AM   #154
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 19,754
Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Just curious how true believers answer. As expected, gibberish was the result.
That and dead silence. They don't seem to realize that the questions they completely ignore often say far more than any of their actual posts.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 11:21 AM   #155
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,444
nvm
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 4th March 2022 at 11:23 AM.
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 11:30 AM   #156
MBDK
Critical Thinker
 
MBDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
That and dead silence. They don't seem to realize that the questions they completely ignore often say far more than any of their actual posts.
With the right skillset, by even distantly looking at rocks, we can literally glean exponentially more valid information than from their posts.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 09:44 PM   #157
Bubba
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
Fauci knew

Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said he believes the 90 pages of communication records between the NIH and the Wuhan lab show that Dr. Anthony Fauci’s agency, NIAID, has been “hiding information on China’s failure to provide essential data on COVID-19.”

The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) also sent “experts” from the NIH-supported P4 lab at the University of Texas Medical Branch to train Wuhan Institute of Virology technicians in “lab management and maintenance” – nearly two years before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic – the records obtained by Judicial Watch through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit show.


https://www.nationandstate.com/2022/...ocuments-show/

Last edited by Bubba; 4th March 2022 at 09:45 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 09:45 PM   #158
Bubba
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,387
Missouri Attorney General Sues CCP & Wuhan Lab

Missouri Attorney General Serves Chinese Communist Party, Wuhan Institute of Virology in COVID-19 Lawsuit


https://ago.mo.gov/home/news/2021/05...vid-19-lawsuit
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 09:48 PM   #159
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster
 
gabeygoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hard Corvallis Oregon
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If a person knows enough about a topic to be dishonest about it then the ignorance they display is both willful and feigned.

And most frequently displayed by those who reside under bridges.
Trudat
__________________
"May I interest you in some coconut milk?" ~Akhenaten Wallabe Esq
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2022, 10:14 PM   #160
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 21,232
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Judicial Watch
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Missouri
ts;di;dr.

There, better.
__________________
" Glory to our Allies . . . Glory to Ukraine!"
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy

Last edited by Resume; 4th March 2022 at 10:15 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.