IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Russia issues , Russia-Ukraine relations , Russia-Ukraine war , Ukraine issues , vladimir putin , Volodymyr Zelenskiy

Closed Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 05:45 PM   #81
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Russian soldiers in Ukraine sabotaged own equipment, U.K. spy chief says

Russian soldiers short on morale and weapons have refused orders, sabotaged their own equipment and shot down one of their own aircraft, Britain’s spy chief said Thursday, painting a picture of chaos on Russia’s front lines as the war in Ukraine drags into its second month.

The efforts are evidence of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s miscalculation when he decided to invade Ukraine, Jeremy Fleming, head of Britain’s signals intelligence agency, said in a speech Thursday at Australian National University. U.S. and British officials have said Putin, more isolated than ever, was misinformed by his aides, further stoking tensions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...equipment-war/
Old 31st March 2022, 05:58 PM   #82
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I saw that photo, The US Army Sergeant who taught us about camoflage in Basic Training is laughing his head off at the Russians.
I don't get it. Why would they have a picture of an empty road?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:03 PM   #83
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Russian soldiers in Ukraine sabotaged own equipment, U.K. spy chief says

Russian soldiers short on morale and weapons have refused orders, sabotaged their own equipment and shot down one of their own aircraft, Britain’s spy chief said Thursday, painting a picture of chaos on Russia’s front lines as the war in Ukraine drags into its second month.

The efforts are evidence of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s miscalculation when he decided to invade Ukraine, Jeremy Fleming, head of Britain’s signals intelligence agency, said in a speech Thursday at Australian National University. U.S. and British officials have said Putin, more isolated than ever, was misinformed by his aides, further stoking tensions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...equipment-war/
Well if the chief of spies says something in public, it must certainly be... True? False? Misinformation directed at a certain audience? Sheer incompetence?
Old 31st March 2022, 06:56 PM   #84
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The NLAW and the Javelin have changed the way wars are fought forever. There ability for tanks to march into an urban environment and dominate simply isn’t true anymore. They would be sitting ducks given the abilities of these weapons.
Old 31st March 2022, 06:59 PM   #85
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Well if the chief of spies says something in public, it must certainly be... True? False? Misinformation directed at a certain audience? Sheer incompetence?
There has to be some kind of strategy at work.
Old 31st March 2022, 07:09 PM   #86
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There has to be some kind of strategy at work.
That's what everyone kept saying about the Russians.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 08:13 PM   #87
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

The NLAW and the Javelin have changed the way wars are fought forever. There ability for tanks to march into an urban environment and dominate simply isn’t true anymore. They would be sitting ducks given the abilities of these weapons.
I think it's way too early to draw that conclusion. Tanks have been declared obsolete many times. Their effectiveness ebbs and flows with changes in weapons, armor, sensors, etc. The next war is likely to be entirely different. I suspect if Russia actually managed to achieve air superiority and supported their tanks with infantry (as they are supposed to) we wouldn't be talking about this.

Last edited by Galaxie; 31st March 2022 at 08:14 PM.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 08:19 PM   #88
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The number of conscripts drafted is interesting, but more relevant is the number of conscripts allowed to go back home because their normal time of service is up.
I'm waiting for those numbers.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 10:23 PM   #89
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

For today's territory change update... Ukraine reclaimed, Russia ran, generally speaking. Russia seems to be making either very slow or no progress on the eastern front, though they did claim to have taken a couple towns. Too soon to actually believe them without better verification, of course, given their history of questionable accuracy and claiming that they took whole towns when they only took part. Mariupol is still holding out and fighting fiercely, apparently. Ukraine reclaimed towns east of Kyiv, Nova Basan in particular, and a couple towns to the northwest of Kyiv, with Russians also retreating from Hostomel Airport. Several villages in Zaporizhia in the southeast were also reclaimed. Of some note, a fire watch map suggests that Kyiv and Chernihiv were largely not bombarded for the day, which would certainly be a huge improvement, if true.

Oh. Here's also a bit of a sidenote -

Quote:
Russia "denazifies" a country with the lowest level of antisemitism in Central Europe. In Russia it's 3x higher.

The Pew Research Center survey was published in 2018. The next year Ukrainians elected with 73% of votes a president of Jewish origin - Volodymyr Zelenskyi.

Last edited by Aridas; 31st March 2022 at 10:48 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 10:49 PM   #90
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it is highly unlikely that Russia will manage an "orderly retreat", given their previous level of logistics.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:28 PM   #91
Lplus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I think it's way too early to draw that conclusion. Tanks have been declared obsolete many times. Their effectiveness ebbs and flows with changes in weapons, armor, sensors, etc. The next war is likely to be entirely different. I suspect if Russia actually managed to achieve air superiority and supported their tanks with infantry (as they are supposed to) we wouldn't be talking about this.
Not having to stick to the roads might have changed things just a tad as well.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:44 PM   #92
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
For today's territory change update... Ukraine reclaimed, Russia ran, generally speaking. Russia seems to be making either very slow or no progress on the eastern front, though they did claim to have taken a couple towns. Too soon to actually believe them without better verification, of course, given their history of questionable accuracy and claiming that they took whole towns when they only took part. Mariupol is still holding out and fighting fiercely, apparently. Ukraine reclaimed towns east of Kyiv, Nova Basan in particular, and a couple towns to the northwest of Kyiv, with Russians also retreating from Hostomel Airport. Several villages in Zaporizhia in the southeast were also reclaimed. Of some note, a fire watch map suggests that Kyiv and Chernihiv were largely not bombarded for the day, which would certainly be a huge improvement, if true.

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...nflict-updates

Quote:
Key Takeaways
  • Ukrainian forces successfully conducted local counterattacks around Kyiv, towards Sumy, and in Kherson Oblast and will likely take further territory—particularly northwest and east of Kyiv—in the coming days.
  • Russia is withdrawing elements of its damaged forces around Kyiv, Chernihiv, and Sumy for redeployment to eastern Ukraine, but these units are unlikely to provide a decisive shift in Russian combat power.
  • Ukrainian forces continued to repel Russian assaults throughout Donetsk and Luhansk Oblasts, and Russian forces failed to take territory in the past 24 hours.
  • Russian forces continue to steadily advance in Mariupol.
  • Russia’s preplanned spring draft will begin on April 1 and does not appear abnormal from Russia’s typical conscription cycle. Newly drafted conscripts will not provide Russia with additional combat power for many months.
  • The Kremlin is likely accelerating efforts to establish quasi-state entities to govern occupied Ukrainian territory.
https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...easefire-offer

Quote:
Ukraine may soon face a new threat in this war—Russia’s ceasefire offer. It seems odd to say that a ceasefire is a threat. Once war begins, the default position in the West is to seize the earliest opportunity to “stop the fighting.” But while some ceasefires lead to peace, others lead to more war—as the Russians have repeatedly shown. The frontlines frozen in a ceasefire set the conditions for the negotiations and reconstruction that follow. They also set conditions for future conflict. Those seeking enduring peace in Ukraine must resist the temptation to accept a Russian ceasefire offer that sets conditions for renewed conflict on Russia’s terms or gives Russia leverage on Ukraine with which to force concessions and surrenders.
Quote:
Any consideration of a Russian ceasefire offer must take account of six primary risks.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 31st March 2022 at 11:46 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:49 PM   #93
Wildy
Adelaidean

I can't believe that Russia is destroying their own fuel depots.

However, I think things are going to be very different if Ukraine is indeed able to make such strikes against Russian assets in Russia. A couple of good hits on the rail network can slow down Russian redeployment immensely.
Old 31st March 2022, 11:57 PM   #94
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I don't. I have watched multiple US Generals say the same thing. I'm not saying the tank is dead. But that they are expensive weapons platforms that can and are being neutralized by far less expensive portable weapons. Specifically in an urban environment tanks are vulnerable to such weapons.
Old 1st April 2022, 12:00 AM   #95
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Australia has bought some second hand Abrams tanks. There are many questioning how they will be of any use to us.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 12:07 AM   #96
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I can't believe that Russia is destroying their own fuel depots.

However, I think things are going to be very different if Ukraine is indeed able to make such strikes against Russian assets in Russia. A couple of good hits on the rail network can slow down Russian redeployment immensely.
I'm not sure that Ukraine would try to do that.

It's one thing to defend oneself in one's own country, it's an entirely different thing to strike in your opponent's country. They can then portray you as the aggressor regardless of "who started it".

That said, if you can persuade people in that country to work on your behalf - as has been reported w.r.t. Belarus rail workers who have disrupted Russian supply lines - then you can get the same benefits without the risks.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 12:37 AM   #97
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

It's one thing to defend oneself in one's own country, it's an entirely different thing to strike in your opponent's country. They can then portray you as the aggressor regardless of "who started it".

That said, if you can persuade people in that country to work on your behalf - as has been reported w.r.t. Belarus rail workers who have disrupted Russian supply lines - then you can get the same benefits without the risks.
Hitting a military target just inside the Russian border, would have several benefits as far as I can see and few downsides. Especially if it's successful and doesn't harm any civilians.

Russia has tried to paint even Russian war crimes as Ukrainian agression.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 12:41 AM   #98
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Australia has bought some second hand Abrams tanks. There are many questioning how they will be of any use to us.
They're replacing the old Leopard tanks which we bought in 1974 and never deployed to a warzone.
Old 1st April 2022, 12:52 AM   #99
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Tanks just marching into close terrain and dominating hasn't been true since WW2. There are doctrines for using armor effectively in conjunction with other unit types. Tanks aren't obsolete. The Russians are just doing it wrong.

It may interest you to know that several countries have been hard at work, developing automated systems for shooting down incoming missiles. Some countries are already deploying radars and launchers as add on kits for existing tank turrets. Future tank turret designs will have such systems integrated into from the start.
Old 1st April 2022, 12:54 AM   #100
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Portray Ukraine as the aggressor to whom, though? Is there really any significant audience that doesn't already know what's what, and already made up their minds what side they support?
Old 1st April 2022, 12:58 AM   #101
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Tanks just marching into close terrain and dominating hasn't been true since WW2. There are doctrines for using armor effectively in conjunction with other unit types. Tanks aren't obsolete. The Russians are just doing it wrong.

It may interest you to know that several countries have been hard at work, developing automated systems for shooting down incoming missiles. Some countries are already deploying radars and launchers as add on kits for existing tank turrets. Future tank turret designs will have such systems integrated into from the start.
Yes, I can imagine that with such active protection systems, either high velocity guns, as found in tanks, or larger swarm attack munitions would be the best attacks against tanks. Although I guess the sensors would have to be vulnerable, so blinding them first might be one option.

Old 1st April 2022, 01:03 AM   #102
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Portray Ukraine as the aggressor to whom, though? Is there really any significant audience that doesn't already know what's what, and already made up their minds what side they support?
Exactly, what would it allow Russia to do thag it's not? And would Putin really want to say that he is not able to protect the integrity of Russia's borders from military attacks?

Old 1st April 2022, 01:15 AM   #103
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I think there are audiences who may not have make up their mind, or more specifically would tend to be pro-Russia but who now may be wavering in the face of the truth coming out of Ukraine which is un-ignorable. These include:
  • The Russian people who may be slowly coming to the conclusion that Russia may be "the bad guys" but who could fall back in line if Mother Russia were under attack
  • China, India and Brazil who instinctively feel that they should be a counterweight to "the Great Satan" but who cannot come out in favour of Russia in light of events of the last month
  • Much of Africa

If Russia were able to provide pictures of destroyed "civilian" rail infrastructure and especially if they can get some "civilian" corpses into the picture then that could be useful propaganda to bring waverers back into the fold.

edited to add.....

It would allow India to more openly support Russia:

Quote:
As we've been reporting, Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is in India as part of efforts to strengthen ties with Delhi.

In a statement released before talks with his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Lavrov said Russia appreciated India's response to the war in Ukraine, according to Reuters news agency.

"We appreciate that India [is] taking this situation in the entirety of facts and not just in a one-sided way," Lavrov said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

Last edited by The Don; 1st April 2022 at 01:44 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 01:17 AM   #104
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Exactly, what would it allow Russia to do thag it's not?
Use WMD because Mother Russia is under attack from the drug-addled Nazis and NATO.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And would Putin really want to say that he is not able to protect the integrity of Russia's borders from military attacks?
That it would have been impossible were it not for the connivance of NATO and that poor ickle Russia is now under attack from NATO. That may provide a fig-leaf of cover to enable China and India to provide military support for Russia in order to level the playing field (or more accurately to tip that field more decisively in Russia's favour).
Old 1st April 2022, 02:33 AM   #105
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
Footage of Russian troops shooting a man with his hands up on a highway outside Kyiv at the beginning of March was shared around the world.

Now the Russians have been pushed out of the area the grim aftermath of their short-lived occupation can be seen.

We counted 13 bodies on a nightmarish stretch of road not much more than 200 yards long, between Mria and Myla, villages whose Ukrainian names translate as Dream and Sweetheart.

Two of the dead are confirmed as Ukrainian civilians who were killed by the Russians. The others have not been identified yet - they lie where they were killed - but only two are wearing recognisable Ukrainian military uniforms.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share

Russians are absolutely disgusting.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 1st April 2022 at 02:55 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 02:53 AM   #106
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
A senior American official said that NATO officials and the intelligence community had spent weeks waiting for a Russian war commander to emerge. No one has, leaving Western officials to conclude that the men making decisions are far from the fight, back in Moscow: Defense Minister Sergei K. Shoigu; Gen. Valery Gerasimov, the chief of the general staff of the Russian military; and even President Vladimir V. Putin.

On Wednesday, Biden administration officials, citing declassified U.S. intelligence, said that Mr. Putin had been misinformed by his advisers about the Russian military’s problems in Ukraine. The intelligence, American officials said, also showed what appeared to be growing tension between Mr. Putin and Mr. Shoigu, who was once among the most trusted members of the Kremlin’s inner circle.

A second senior American official said that Russian soldiers, who have been taught not to make a single move without explicit instructions from superiors, had been left frustrated on the battlefield, while Mr. Putin, Mr. Shoigu and General Gerasimov continued to plot increasingly out-of-touch strategy.

This top-down approach means that Moscow transmits instructions to generals in the field, who then transmit them to troops, who are told to follow those instructions no matter the situation on the ground.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/u...y-ukraine.html

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 03:05 AM   #107
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share

Russians are absolutely disgusting.
This is one of the atrocities that sticks in the mind. That and the pregnant woman who sustained a broken pelvis in a deliberate maternity hospital bombing who lost her baby and then her life, with the Russian Embassy in London calling it 'staged'. Not to mention the fleeing family lying on the ground with their dog barking in its pet carrier and their luggage strewn about. Multiplied by several thousandfold acts of mindless violence. Add to the Russian teenage conscripts from dirt poor villages who had no idea what they are fighting for - or against - burnt alive in their tanks in their thousands.

(Is it russophobia? Yes, the Russian state is cruel, untrustworthy and criminal. Is it a hatred of Russian culture and ethnicity? No.)

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 03:40 AM   #108
Arcade22
Philosopher

Except that Russia has been proclaiming itself the victim of unrestrained Ukranian attacks and atrocities for years. It's not like it would signal a new line of propaganda in any way.

If anything attacking targets of military importance in Russia (fuel and arms depots, transportation hubs, military installations and etc) is what Ukraine should be doing in order to bring the war back home to the Russians. To pierce the veil of propaganda and show them that this is a real war not just some tiny military operation.

Actions have consequences. They can't cremate away blown up railway stations, gas tanks and military bases.

Last edited by Arcade22; 1st April 2022 at 03:44 AM.
Old 1st April 2022, 03:54 AM   #109
Arcade22
Philosopher

The longer this war drags on the more real it's going to get for the Russians back at home.

Don't think that the Ukranians are going to take these Russian war crimes on the chin like some kind of self-righteous martyr. They have more than enough legitimate military targets in range that they can level and destroy no matter the Russian civilians that die with them.

The Russian military said they had effectively destroyed the Ukranian airforce and that they now ruled the skies. An obvious lie that any Russian foolish enough to believe in will pay dearly for.

Old 1st April 2022, 04:17 AM   #110
Tero
Master Poster

prior to any NATO move, Niinistö taking to Norway

Quote:
Bilateral talks with Prime Minister Støre President Niinistö will visit the Prime Minister's official residence on Thursday evening. Topics include Russia's hostilities in Ukraine, the future of the European security order and co-operation between Finland and Norway in foreign, security and defense policy.

On Friday, April 22, President Niinistö will have meetings with Norwegian Foreign Minister Anniken Huitfeldt and Defense Minister Odd Roger Enoksen .

In addition, President Niinistö will give an opening speech at an event organized by the Confederation of Finnish Industries and the Norwegian Business Association, which will discuss the growth opportunities of the green transition.
https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/...4-aedef6764c50

Sweden and Finland are expected to apply at the same time.

Minister of Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade Ville Skinnari will also speak at the event, who will participate in the visit as part of President Niinistö's party.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 04:44 AM   #111
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You still have emus, don't you?
Old 1st April 2022, 05:22 AM   #112
sarge
Philosopher

I don't. I have watched multiple US Generals say the same thing. I'm not saying the tank is dead. But that they are expensive weapons platforms that can and are being neutralized by far less expensive portable weapons. Specifically in an urban environment tanks are vulnerable to such weapons.
Tanks have always been more vulnerable to attack by handheld and shoulder launched weapons in urban environments. That isn’t new. The Russians are using old equipment paired with outdated tactics against new misses and new tactics.

What the javelin adds that previous infantry AT weapons lacked is the shoot-down attack profile and fire-and-forget tracking. Tank armor is (generally) thickest in front and thinnest on top. With previous infantry deployed AT weapons (primarily the Dragon and TOW variants) the gunner fired and then had to track the mussel all the way to the target, witch was almost always the front or flank. The TOW penetrated most all Soviet armor of the time, but the dragon could fail to destroy a tank hit in the front. The TOW was relatively fast and outranged all tanks, so the gunner was generally safe from return fire, but the dragon was out-ranged by all tanks and was SLOW. At max range, the gunner had to sit still and track for 10 seconds before the missile hit the tank, and the missile firing had a noticeable signature, making it relatively easy for an a,wet tank crew to see the launch and immediately return fire.

The Javelin solves both problems and tank defenses haven’t yet countered. They will, eventually. Tank and AT weapons evolve. The balance shifts about once a generation.
Old 1st April 2022, 06:25 AM   #113
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by sarge View Post
Tanks have always been more vulnerable to attack by handheld and shoulder launched weapons in urban environments. That isn’t new. The Russians are using old equipment paired with outdated tactics against new misses and new tactics.

What the javelin adds that previous infantry AT weapons lacked is the shoot-down attack profile and fire-and-forget tracking. Tank armor is (generally) thickest in front and thinnest on top. With previous infantry deployed AT weapons (primarily the Dragon and TOW variants) the gunner fired and then had to track the mussel all the way to the target, witch was almost always the front or flank. The TOW penetrated most all Soviet armor of the time, but the dragon could fail to destroy a tank hit in the front. The TOW was relatively fast and outranged all tanks, so the gunner was generally safe from return fire, but the dragon was out-ranged by all tanks and was SLOW. At max range, the gunner had to sit still and track for 10 seconds before the missile hit the tank, and the missile firing had a noticeable signature, making it relatively easy for an a,wet tank crew to see the launch and immediately return fire.

The Javelin solves both problems and tank defenses haven’t yet countered. They will, eventually. Tank and AT weapons evolve. The balance shifts about once a generation.
See the initial Yom Kippur War and the initial successes of the anti tank guided missiles against the tanks of the day

Old 1st April 2022, 06:54 AM   #114
Jimbo07
Illuminator

So, Ukraine might be Striking Back.

I wasn't sure what to make of the CNN rolling, but Ward Caroll is claiming the Ukraininas struck a fuel depot in Belgorod. What makes his different is the amateur video and the wording that those claiming this is a Russian false flag haven't shown the evidence.

I'm torn, if it's truly an attack by Ukraine. On the one hand, it allows the Russians to say, "Boo hoo! Those mean Ukrainians are attacking us." On the other, mad respect to Ukraine for taking the fight to Russia.

It's interesting. Have Russian air defences failed? Or, while it wasn't a false flag, did they allow it to happen? Or, was it just incompetence, but they're going to exploit it?

ETA: now the footage is on CNN. That's good. I don't want to just see it on defence channels and feeds. Some of them (UK Defence Journal, I'm looking at you) are running a bunch of April Fool's gags today.

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key

Last edited by Jimbo07; 1st April 2022 at 07:14 AM.
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 07:00 AM   #115
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post

I wasn't sure what to make of the CNN rolling, but Ward Caroll is claiming the Ukraininas struck a fuel depot in Belgorod. What makes his different is the amateur video and the wording that those claiming this is a Russian false flag haven't shown the evidence.

I'm torn, if it's truly an attack by Ukraine. On the one hand, it allows the Russians to say, "Boo hoo! Those mean Ukrainians are attacking us." On the other, mad respect to Ukraine for taking the fight to Russia.

It's interesting. Have Russian air defences failed? Or, while it wasn't a false flag, did they allow it to happen? Or, was it just incompetence, but they're going to exploit it?
Russia seems to be trying that tack, but "boo hoo you've struck a military target when we're invading you" isn't terribly effective, and also says "boo hoo, I can't defend my own airspace"

Old 1st April 2022, 07:00 AM   #116
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Attack was done by helicopters. I assume they were flying very low and managed to stay undetected.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 07:12 AM   #117
crescent
Illuminator

Bumped for emphasis:

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Quote:
Russia "denazifies" a country with the lowest level of antisemitism in Central Europe. In Russia it's 3x higher.

The Pew Research Center survey was published in 2018. The next year Ukrainians elected with 73% of votes a president of Jewish origin - Volodymyr Zelenskyi.

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Except that Russia has been proclaiming itself the victim of unrestrained Ukranian attacks and atrocities for years. It's not like it would signal a new line of propaganda in any way.

If anything attacking targets of military importance in Russia (fuel and arms depots, transportation hubs, military installations and etc) is what Ukraine should be doing in order to bring the war back home to the Russians. To pierce the veil of propaganda and show them that this is a real war not just some tiny military operation.

Actions have consequences. They can't cremate away blown up railway stations, gas tanks and military bases.
I thought I remember Ukraine hitting a Russian airport earlier in the war, somewhere east of Donetsk. Just a few hits with some long range rocket artillery if I remember right. Can't find a reference to it now though.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 07:15 AM   #118
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You still have emus, don't you?
Also good for shooting down drop bears.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 07:15 AM   #119
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

ETA: now the footage is on CNN
The false flag claim makes no sense at all.
For a start, Russian forces in Ukraine are known to be short of fuel, so blowing up what limited fuel stocks they have left would be an extraordinary act of self-sabotage.
Then, what would be the point? What reaction would they hope to produce? It's not as if they still need an excuse to attack Ukraine: they've been doing that for over a month, and they surely can't be so deluded as to imagine this would provoke any sympathy internationally.
No, this is just the Ukraine showing the world how ballsy they are, and I applaud them for it.
Old 1st April 2022, 07:16 AM   #120
angrysoba
Philosophile

Seems from a number of sources that Russian forces are retreating completely from the Kyiv area. Ukrainian soldiers have been moving into those areas such as Irpin, Bucha, Hostomel. I assume the Chernobyl evacuation was also tied to that rather than a bout of radiation sickness.

Of course, this is great from the Ukrainian perspective, but some are cautioning that it could be a redeploying of troops from there to the Eastern front.

I know that some had been claiming that the Kyiv push was a feint BUT even if that is the case, surely there is little advantage to Russian troops as Ukraine can also reploy its forces and have more room to get supplies in.

P.S don't take anything I say too seriously. I know little about military affairs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics