IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:18 PM   #41
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
If Officer White sold her house and put in for pension, but was planning to skip town with Casey boy, presumably someone with power of attorney would be transferring her funds offshore? Would such an agent be complicit after the fact?
Investigators would be right on her tail.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:32 PM   #42
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Investigators would be right on her tail.
Wouldn't do investigators any good if the Whites were out of the country and in a no-X nation, especially if they were slick enough to score fake IDs. That is the beauty of the confusing disappearance: the investigators might be slower to freeze assets till they thought they knew what was going on. Couple days is all the Whites would have needed if they set it up right.

But I know deep down they will disappoint me, and turn up in a Waffle House, drunk and still in their respective uniforms. You just don't find proper villains anymore.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:38 PM   #43
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't do investigators any good if the Whites were out of the country and in a no-X nation, especially if they were slick enough to score fake IDs. That is the beauty of the confusing disappearance: the investigators might be slower to freeze assets till they thought they knew what was going on. Couple days is all the Whites would have needed if they set it up right.

But I know deep down they will disappoint me, and turn up in a Waffle House, drunk and still in their respective uniforms. You just don't find proper villains anymore.
When I worked in proceeds of crime, we had High Court power to get the banks disclose the various paths the transfer of funds took (from laundered money) to the offshore tax havens. It took years but we managed to get the banks concerned in the islands around the Bahamas and Caymans regions [I won't be explicit] to freeze the assets of the criminal accounts and eventually refunded millions back to the UK taxpayer (tax fraud).

A small-fry sum of money, like funds from the sale of a house or a pension fund cash-in, would be like looking for a needle in a haystack but if there is an audit trail, it can be traced, especially if the FBI issue a warrant requesting the information.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:45 PM   #44
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

When I worked in proceeds of crime, we had High Court power to get the banks disclose the various paths the transfer of funds took (from laundered money) to the offshore tax havens. It took years but we managed to get the banks concerned in the islands around the Bahamas and Caymans regions [I won't be explicit] to freeze the assets of the criminal accounts and eventually refunded millions back to the UK taxpayer (tax fraud).

A small-fry sum of money, like funds from the sale of a house or a pension fund cash-in, would be like looking for a needle in a haystack but if there is an audit trail, it can be traced, especially if the FBI issue a warrant requesting the information.
That's where the speed comes in. You need to move fast and get the transferred money liquidated and not use the same name again. The ID is the hardest part, requiring longish range planning. The rest is moving quickly enough to stay one step ahead of the Feds filing their paperwork.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:30 PM   #45
mgidm86
Philosopher

Yep. The odds of either one of them being master criminals is close to zero. He, for his record of being a dumbass, and her for doing this with/for him.

They will be caught...hmm I'll wager by next Wednesday, what the hell. Probably sooner. Then again it seems like they should have been caught already.
Old 4th May 2022, 02:02 AM   #46
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Yep. The odds of either one of them being master criminals is close to zero. He, for his record of being a dumbass, and her for doing this with/for him.

They will be caught...hmm I'll wager by next Wednesday, what the hell. Probably sooner. Then again it seems like they should have been caught already.
Think you're right. He was only transfered to that holding place 26 Feb so it is possible she has known him about two months, sold her house for $95K, gave in her notice due to leave Friday the same week. Doesn't sound like a serious relationship or a well-thought out plan. So she got a small amount of money together, which won't last long without an income on top, arranged to get him out of his cell to freedom and...then what...? She initially held all the cards. Now he holds all the cards. If she attempts to leave after having second thoughts as to what he is really like, she will find herself in very great danger.

Old 4th May 2022, 02:08 AM   #47
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Casey White doesn't even look normal. Perhaps he has an extra chromosome XXY that makes him extra tall and with a predisposition to violence, or maybe he is just inbred. Can't see what could be at all attractive about him.

Old 4th May 2022, 03:36 AM   #48
Warp12
King of Kings

I suspect the defense will hinge upon proving that she was manipulated. I would say that is a mitigating factor, and almost certainly she was. Waddling around the jail, much older than him...makes her a good target.
Old 4th May 2022, 04:13 AM   #49
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Casey White doesn't even look normal. Perhaps he has an extra chromosome XXY that makes him extra tall and with a predisposition to violence, or maybe he is just inbred. Can't see what could be at all attractive about him.
Maybe she's a size queen? Man's got to have something going for him.

"That man, for what he's done, should be bloody well hung!"

"He is mah friend, he is...."

Last edited by bluesjnr; 4th May 2022 at 04:15 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 05:57 AM   #50
Ron Obvious
Muse

Marfan syndrome maybe? That's what he looks like to me.
Old 4th May 2022, 06:37 AM   #51
plague311
Great minds think...

Wouldn't she be legally entitled to her pension, as any conviction cannot cancel it out, albeit she might not get access whilst in jail and can't whilst on the lam. Your pension isn't triggered until you apply for it, and she seems to have done this early. Maybe she's hoping it'll accumulate in the meantime ready for her to claim it.
I have no idea how it works, but I'd imagine they aren't going to rush to process her retirement when they know she actively helped a murderer escape from jail.

I'd also assume that at some point her accounts\assets would get frozen, so it wouldn't do her any good at anyway. I have no evidence to support that the cops would do that but it seems like a pretty logical step to take for someone who is on the run.

I was just mostly saying, even if she chose a lump sum, she wouldn't have cashed it out already since it hasn't been processed.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 07:19 AM   #52
plague311
Great minds think...

I have to contest the "waddling gait" statement. I just watched the surveillance video and she doesn't appear to waddle that much.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 07:23 AM   #53
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Here are the links in XXY and XYY:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter_syndrome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYY_syndrome

It's XXYXYY that might be associated with height and criminal behavior. The conclusion of criminal behavior may be a sample bias issue since the condition was found from a sample drawn from prisons. Further, it is probably not diagnosed consistently.

Mod InfoHighlighted corrected
Posted By:jimbob

Last edited by jimbob; 6th May 2022 at 03:56 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 08:52 AM   #54
plague311
Great minds think...

Unsurprisingly she got fired, and lost her "state-funded contributions" to her pension, which is probably a bummer for her considering she was there for 20 years. That's bound to add up in a government job.

The cops are being honest at least:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the manhunt for Vicky White and the inmate, Casey White, moves into its sixth day and the sheriff said law enforcement officials “don’t really have a clue” where the two are located.
They're 6 days in and the cops have no clue where they're at, that's pretty impressive considering the publicity it's getting.

Old 4th May 2022, 12:04 PM   #55
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That seems to imply well stocked hideout a relatively short drive from the prison. Maybe two or three tanks of gas, but not over a border or anything. Probably closer so she could get everything ready without anyone noticing.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:12 PM   #56
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
but not over a border or anything.
When did this story first break? Seems like some planning happened here. 17 hours to the Mexican border if they drove. Had an alert that would have reached the border gone out by then? I haven't crossed that border recently, how much scrutiny do people leaving get?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:14 PM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You can totally "hole up" for a week, a month if you've really planned it out, after that you've got to come up for metaphorical air.
Old 4th May 2022, 12:19 PM   #58
Suddenly
No Punting

If the money is all in cash, the felon has no need to carry on pretending he has feelings (she's 20 years older and had what he needed to escape) - after all, anyone who can coldly stab a complete stranger, a sweet elderly woman, with a knife, and make out he was hired to do it - what is to stop him topping her and fleeing with the cash. He is clearly a cold-blooded sociopath so I wonder if he does have any feelings for her or even any sense of gratitude or respect. Maybe for now. While the heat is on.
If she's alive it's probably because he's waiting until they are near somewhere to dispose of her body before he kills her. She's the biggest liability for him at this point and it isn't like his legal situation could be worse. If he killed her in a non-death penalty state with a better prison system he'd be better off.

Inmate romances guard to bust him out and bring a whole bunch of cash to him. Serious wallet inspector vibes there.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:24 PM   #59
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You can totally "hole up" for a week, a month if you've really planned it out, after that you've got to come up for metaphorical air.
Maybe she has an off grid tiny house with a really great raised garden and a goat pen. She’s not going to get caught unless the HGTV folks blow her cover.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:25 PM   #60
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
If he killed her in a non-death penalty state with a better prison system he'd be better off.
How would that work? It's not like they wouldn't pursue the death penalty case.
Old 4th May 2022, 01:45 PM   #61
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That seems to imply well stocked hideout a relatively short drive from the prison. Maybe two or three tanks of gas, but not over a border or anything. Probably closer so she could get everything ready without anyone noticing.
I drove 750 miles in 12 hours on Saturday, and filled up with gas three times, I think (but the last time I just topped off on a potty break).

The challenge to making that drive steathily is that you have to pay in cash. The credit card company knows darn well where I was.

I wouldn't be surprised if google knows it, too, because I used google maps the whole way.
Old 4th May 2022, 01:46 PM   #62
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah, there is going to be an issue with cash.
Old 4th May 2022, 02:02 PM   #63
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
How would that work? It's not like they wouldn't pursue the death penalty case.
Say he goes into a state with no death penalty and murders her on a crowded street in broad daylight, and is arrested.

If that state charges him for that murder the legalities of shipping him back to to Texas before they address the new charges can be dicey depending on state law and the gory details of the interstate compact on detainers and how they treat shuttling pre/post extradition. As a general rule a state isn't going to extradite an inmate before charges in that state are resolved. If he kills someone and gets a life sentence, then, well, he's not ever being extradited.

It isn't a guaranteed way to avoid being shipped back to Texas for trial because there could be workarounds, but it stands a fair chance...
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 03:04 PM   #64
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Seems they have been 'friends' since 2020, ever since he was arraigned for murder. His mother, Connie, says he only confessed to murder because he didn't like the prison he was in.

Meanwhile, it seems over the last two years, Vicky White acquired a copper-coloured SUV and had parked it at the mall amongst cars for sale. Some guy spotted it and made a note as he wanted to buy it but it had no 'For Sale' sign on it. So now the police are in touch with the dealership it was bought from Softly softly...

The cops released a picture of the car in error so now they think the pair will abandon it and get another one. They say this leak has hampered their search.

Imagine buying a bright orange car if you want to blend in and be discreet?

Quote:
FLORENCE, Ala. — The Alabama jail honcho who disappeared with a capital murder suspect had visited the inmate numerous times in prison and had been in a “special relationship” with him for nearly two years before the pair vanished, The Post has learned.

Vicky White and inmate Casey Cole White — who apparently fled together on Friday — have been linked since late 2020 when he was brought to the jail guard’s jurisdiction on murder charges, Lauderdale County Sheriff Rick Singleton told The Post on Wednesday.

At the time, Casey had been serving a 75-year sentence at the William E. Donaldson Correctional Facility in Jefferson County for a different case and was transported to Lauderdale County to be arraigned on the new murder charges, Singleton explained in a sit-down interview.

<snip>

“What we found out now is that they were in communication from 2020, up until the current day, like communication, visitations and whatnot,” the sheriff explained.
NY Post

I note the convict's full name is Casey Cole White, so his parents had a sense of humour. (Imagine if his last name was 'Black'.)

Old 4th May 2022, 03:11 PM   #65
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

When did this story first break? Seems like some planning happened here. 17 hours to the Mexican border if they drove. Had an alert that would have reached the border gone out by then? I haven't crossed that border recently, how much scrutiny do people leaving get?
They vanished last Friday but the news only broke Monday. I think the police were worried she was being held hostage so perhaps were waiting for a ransom demand or for her to contact them discreetly. It took a while before it dawned on them what she had done. The pair left the detention block at circa 9:30 am but were not noticed missing until 3:30-ish pm because she said she'd be late back due to not feeling well, so they had a six-hour start to do what ever they did. With his bright orange jumpsuit, height, and the bright copper SUV, not exactly discreet.

Old 4th May 2022, 03:15 PM   #66
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Unsurprisingly she got fired, and lost her "state-funded contributions" to her pension, which is probably a bummer for her considering she was there for 20 years. That's bound to add up in a government job.

The cops are being honest at least:

They're 6 days in and the cops have no clue where they're at, that's pretty impressive considering the publicity it's getting.
I didn't realise that is what happens in the US. Seems the cop guy who was at the 6 Jan Capitol riot might also lose his cop/military pension, twenty years in his case. Maybe that is why the woman Vicky gave retirement notice to try to preempt them on the basis of getting in first and assuming they can't call it back in retrospect. Stupid her, letting a known violent offender loose putting the public in potential danger.

Old 4th May 2022, 03:19 PM   #67
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

If she's alive it's probably because he's waiting until they are near somewhere to dispose of her body before he kills her. She's the biggest liability for him at this point and it isn't like his legal situation could be worse. If he killed her in a non-death penalty state with a better prison system he'd be better off.

Inmate romances guard to bust him out and bring a whole bunch of cash to him. Serious wallet inspector vibes there.
Heh, the felon seems to know how to play the system, so you might be right. Should be in the FBI as you think like the criminal.

Old 4th May 2022, 03:23 PM   #68
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I drove 750 miles in 12 hours on Saturday, and filled up with gas three times, I think (but the last time I just topped off on a potty break).

The challenge to making that drive steathily is that you have to pay in cash. The credit card company knows darn well where I was.

I wouldn't be surprised if google knows it, too, because I used google maps the whole way.
That's a thought. If they had to stop to fill up with petrol - I am guessing they pay cash or by a debit/credit card acquired under a new name - then the petrol station will have the CCTV of the registration plate and police can track their journey by that means. Now the details of the getaway vehicle has been released, this won't work for much longer as they are sure to be following the news and will quickly dump that particular car.

Old 4th May 2022, 04:02 PM   #69
mgidm86
Philosopher

Just curious: don't they keep records of who visits inmates? It would seem prudent not to allow personnel and inmates to have relationships. It would be trivial to have a computer spit out any visitor names that are also employed by the facility, or that are on other lists of concern.

Perhaps it's not uncommon that inmates and personnel have relationships? Maybe it's allowed?
Old 4th May 2022, 06:25 PM   #70
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

They vanished last Friday but the news only broke Monday. I think the police were worried she was being held hostage so perhaps were waiting for a ransom demand or for her to contact them discreetly. It took a while before it dawned on them what she had done.
I agree that they were likely giving her the benefit of the doubt, but also I'm confident that they considered this to be the possible scenario immediately and it's not something that occurred to them only later.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 06:30 PM   #71
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't think that's true. Generally, they don't seem to separate elements of a single whole "crime event". If he kills her, then the state where he escaped from prison could probably pursue the murder as the endpoint of an abduction and try all the charges there.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 05:21 AM   #72
catsmate
No longer the 1

The XYY nonsense was debunked decades ago.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 06:20 AM   #73
Suddenly
No Punting

Heh, the felon seems to know how to play the system, so you might be right. Should be in the FBI as you think like the criminal.
Not so much that as while I don't think either did it intentionally I have personal knowledge of people who have pled in my state to avoid being extradited to death penalty states.

Also, I'm in a very compact tri-state area and have to deal with extradition issues quite a bit.
Old 5th May 2022, 06:55 AM   #74
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Just curious: don't they keep records of who visits inmates? It would seem prudent not to allow personnel and inmates to have relationships. It would be trivial to have a computer spit out any visitor names that are also employed by the facility, or that are on other lists of concern.

Perhaps it's not uncommon that inmates and personnel have relationships? Maybe it's allowed?
I would imagine employees can visit inmates. Even their sons, daughters, wives, etc. will get in trouble at some point. She didn't go through the visitation process when she saw him in her jail, but she did when she visited him upstate, if the articles are to be believed. I'm not sure what their process is for tracking people in Alabama, might just be to show them an ID and write your name down. That's all it was where I was at, but that was a few decades ago.

On a side note, I wouldn't be all that shocked if they ditched their first car not long after leaving. That's what I'd do. Park another car a few cities away and find some place to ditch the car you're in where it won't be immediately noticeable. You'll have a really decent head start by the time they track it all down.

Last edited by plague311; 5th May 2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:20 AM   #75
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I don't think that's true. Generally, they don't seem to separate elements of a single whole "crime event". If he kills her, then the state where he escaped from prison could probably pursue the murder as the endpoint of an abduction and try all the charges there.
What you are missing here is that these states are separate sovereigns. If it was a matter of venue this would be accurate. It is a matter of jurisdiction and that complicates things dramatically. The state where that second murder occurred would have the power to decide whether they want to resolve their charges first. There are possible workarounds depending on the law of that state but those can involve some serious headaches and the potential for technicalities that could let the guy walk.

The escape state could use the facts of the murder in a kidnapping charge originating in that state. A lot of kidnapping laws give life sentences if the victim is not returned unharmed. Not so much charging the actual killing.

The Feds maybe could jump in at that point and that is a whole different story because that becomes a venue rather than jurisdiction issue.

The other thing is that the state where the second murder occurred would want justice for what happened in that state and prosecutors love to be able to say they have a murder conviction. If the guy in this spot immediately says he'll take a murder 1 plea with a life without parole sentence that state will be tempted.

I'll concede that if he killed her for the express reason of what amounts to forum shopping the state might be more inclined to ship him back just to deter that kind of stuff. However, in a non-death penalty state it might be a political liability to essentially send someone off to be killed.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:30 AM   #76
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
The XYY nonsense was debunked decades ago.
Might want to read my links. First off though, note that Vixen said XXY. If you really think Vixen meant XYY then they were more accurate than not accurate. Short story: Tallness is confirmed; propensity for criminal behavior is suggested.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:33 AM   #77
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Not so much that as while I don't think either did it intentionally I have personal knowledge of people who have pled in my state to avoid being extradited to death penalty states.
Ah. OK. So people who find themselves in such a situation have done it but you're not claiming this guy might have actually planned it as primary outcome. That sounds reasonable.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:41 AM   #78
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It's XXY that might be associated with height and criminal behavior.
You mean XYY, right? Not XXY?

My godson has XXY and I'd hate to think he's more likely to be a criminal, as he's delightful. He's also quite short.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 07:42 AM   #79
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
You mean XYY, right? Not XXY?
Absolutely. As you can see from a later post. I made exactly the mistake I was trying to correct.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:45 AM   #80
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I hadn't reached that post when I responded. It's all quite difficult to follow when about half the posts on this page seem to say XXY when they mean XYY and vice versa.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events