IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:47 AM   #81
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. Almost want to ask a mod if they'd correct my error. Won't bother them though.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 08:04 AM   #82
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Ah. OK. So people who find themselves in such a situation have done it but you're not claiming this guy might have actually planned it as primary outcome. That sounds reasonable.
Definitely not as a primary outcome. If he was hanging out with jailhouse lawyers he might be aware of the possibility, but probably not even that. Even then his best case is nobody ever finds the body if only because until then they'd still be looking for both of them.

I mean, it could be his interest in her is genuine and he wouldn't kill her if he thought it was in his best interests, but I've seen enough of this sort of manipulation to not hold my breath.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 10:44 AM   #83
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I hadn't reached that post when I responded. It's all quite difficult to follow when about half the posts on this page seem to say XXY when they mean XYY and vice versa.
I doubt they risk an airport even with fake IDs, so I’m not sure why we are arguing about obscure Swedish airport codes.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 02:36 PM   #84
catsmate
No longer the 1

I hadn't reached that post when I responded. It's all quite difficult to follow when about half the posts on this page seem to say XXY when they mean XYY and vice versa.
I just assumed from the reference to criminality that s/he was spouting the XYY nonsense from the seventies. I've never heard of any study linking Klinefelter to criminality or anything of that nature.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 02:13 AM   #85
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

You mean XYY, right? Not XXY?

My godson has XXY and I'd hate to think he's more likely to be a criminal, as he's delightful. He's also quite short.
Catsmate suggests this view has now been debunked. However, it was the case that it was believed as follows:

Quote:
However, the earlier biological determinism was given new credence, in the late 1960's, when geneticists found that, while normal human males have an XY sex chromosome (as contrasted to the XX female genotype) an extra Y chromosome is often found in violent male criminals. The XYY (supermale) chromosomal syndrome may act on the brain's limbic system (which regulates man's most primitive drives, including his impulses toward violence) and somehow help trigger violent criminal acts.
OJP gov

In any case even if your godson has XXY, your anecdote isn't logically sound because epidemiologists look at risk factors as a percentage of the population. In other words, if a person has a genetic propensity for breast cancer, schizophrenia, sociopathy, diabetes, deafness, red hair, annoying penchant for bad puns, etcetera, it doesn't mean that person will exhibit the tendency, it just means their risk factor is higher than the population norm.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 02:23 AM   #86
Matthew Best
Philosopher

My godson has XXY, which YOU said "makes him extra tall and with a predisposition to violence".

But you were wrong about that, weren't you? You meant to say XYY. All the confusion, as usual, stems from your error.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 02:46 AM   #87
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Definitely not as a primary outcome. If he was hanging out with jailhouse lawyers he might be aware of the possibility, but probably not even that. Even then his best case is nobody ever finds the body if only because until then they'd still be looking for both of them.

I mean, it could be his interest in her is genuine and he wouldn't kill her if he thought it was in his best interests, but I've seen enough of this sort of manipulation to not hold my breath.
I think you are right. Casey White's mother, Connie, told the press her dear darling little boy did not kill that woman, he only confessed 'because he didn't like the prison he was in' and thus calculated that if he confessed tot he killing, then he would be moved to a 'better' prison. Notwithstanding the plausibility of his raison d'etre, the fact he gave his mother this spiel (where else would she have got it from?) indicates his reasoning follows along the lines you suggest. It also gives an insight into his coldly manipulative personality, thinking that confessing to murder is fine if it gets you to a cushier prison.

So he will have coldly cultivated a 'special relationship' with this 'correction officer' for the calculating motive of getting out of there by appealing to her feminine gullibility of thinking, 'hey this thirty-something guy is in love with lil'ole me, I still have my youthful blond bombshell sex appeal. Let's elope!!!'

The adage, 'There is no fool like an old fool', rings true.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"CASEY WHITE UPDATE - MORE PICTURES RELEASED, SPECIAL TREATMENT, SUCH AS MORE FOOD ON HIS PLATE..."

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 02:47 AM   #88
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I doubt they risk an airport even with fake IDs, so I’m not sure why we are arguing about obscure Swedish airport codes.
I think you'll find those are Canadian airport codes.

Old 6th May 2022, 02:49 AM   #89
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

My godson has XXY, which YOU said "makes him extra tall and with a predisposition to violence".

But you were wrong about that, weren't you? You meant to say XYY. All the confusion, as usual, stems from your error.
At least my logic wasn't at fault.

"My granny smoked 100 cigarettes a day since age nine and she lived to be 112."

Sooner make a straightforward error.

Old 6th May 2022, 03:34 AM   #90
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
At least my logic wasn't at fault.

"My granny smoked 100 cigarettes a day since age nine and she lived to be 112."

Sooner make a straightforward error.
Nobody's "logic" was at fault, as nobody said the words you just put in quotation marks, or anything like them.

And don't worry, I have no doubt you will be making another straightforward error sooner, rather than later.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 06:09 AM   #91
figarot
Muse

What if it is true love? He never hurts her. They live together somewhere free of suspicion.

That has to be what she believes.

Last edited by figarot; 6th May 2022 at 06:11 AM.
figarot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 07:52 AM   #92
plague311
Great minds think...

Looks like she took a hit to sell the house quick. Per CNN:

Quote:
Shortly before her disappearance, Vicky White sold her home for $95,550, well below the current market value. County records list the total parcel value of the property to be $235,600.
I suppose once they had to set the plan in motion she didn't have much time and just got rid of it as fast as possible to get some money. The way it appears she has that money in some form. At least I can't find anything that says it's in a bank, been frozen, etc. That same article also said:

Quote:
she recently sold her home and had access to a large sum of money, according to Singleton.
This leads me to believe she has the money in physical form. Although, $95k isn't going to last very long when you think about it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 08:39 AM   #93
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Exactly the same thing happened in Australia. Female prison guard helps hardened criminal lover escape.

They literally blasted their way out with explosives

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gibb

Last edited by a_unique_person; 6th May 2022 at 08:43 AM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 11:02 AM   #94
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The "escape vehicle" has been located in Tennessee, CNN reports.

Quote:
US Marshals found an orange 2007 Ford Edge associated with Vicky White and Casey White, the missing former Alabama corrections officer and inmate, in a tow lot in Williamson County, Tennessee.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/us/vi...day/index.html
Old 6th May 2022, 11:08 AM   #95
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The "escape vehicle" has been located in Tennessee, CNN reports.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/us/vi...day/index.html
Definitely not the direction I had them going in, but there is a lot of rural land where one could hide in.

Though at this point I would think they're going somewhere else. I know, Captain Obvious statement.

ETA: Ah, it also says it was found in a tow lot, so I'd assume they abandon it relatively soon and it ended up getting towed. I don't know how much this helps the police, but maybe they can find whatever transfer vehicle they had stashed away in the area with cam footage.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 6th May 2022 at 11:10 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 11:12 AM   #96
plague311
Great minds think...

Answer to one question at least:

Quote:
The two are said to be armed with an AR-15 and shotgun Vicky White recently bought. Before the escape, she withdrew $90,000 in cash
So they're rolling loaded for sure!

Old 6th May 2022, 11:22 AM   #97
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, so are they slick and well-planned, and already out of the country (or at least in a survivalist hut in Oregon, having ditched the car on the other side of the country), or rolling Yosemite Sam with bank and planning to Bonnie and Clyde out the rest of their days?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2022, 12:10 PM   #98
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Definitely not the direction I had them going in, but there is a lot of rural land where one could hide in.

Though at this point I would think they're going somewhere else. I know, Captain Obvious statement.

ETA: Ah, it also says it was found in a tow lot, so I'd assume they abandon it relatively soon and it ended up getting towed. I don't know how much this helps the police, but maybe they can find whatever transfer vehicle they had stashed away in the area with cam footage.
According to the Sheriff, during an ongoing news conference, the vehicle was found abandoned on a rural county road, and an effort had been made at painting it, but it wasn't what one would call, very successful.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:33 PM   #99
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Orange wouldn't have been my first choice for a getaway vehicle but what do I know, I'm not a criminal mastermind.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:36 PM   #100
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok, so are they slick and well-planned, and already out of the country (or at least in a survivalist hut in Oregon, having ditched the car on the other side of the country), or rolling Yosemite Sam with bank and planning to Bonnie and Clyde out the rest of their days?
I think, to quote Archer, it's "classic misdirection". I think you're closer with the "out of the country" bit.

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
According to the Sheriff, during an ongoing news conference, the vehicle was found abandoned on a rural county road, and an effort had been made at painting it, but it wasn't what one would call, very successful.
You mean spray paint doesn't work well?!?! That's what I assumed they'd use.

So now my question becomes, has she taken any trips North to Tennessee recently to stash a second car? As Thermal said, they appear to have a plan and a second getaway car would be a great way to keep the cops on their toes.

The car was found over a week ago so they weren't waiting for the description to come out to ditch it. Per the cnn article:

Quote:
The orange 2007 Ford Edge SUV was found in a tow lot in Williamson County, Tennessee, about two hours north of Florence, Alabama, where the fugitive investigation began April 29.
The office responded to an abandoned vehicle call last Friday afternoon, Puckett said. The vehicle was found locked, with no tags and no identifying information and was towed to a local tow yard, where it remained for most of the following week.
It just doesn't seem likely to me that they went through this whole mess and then drove 2 hours North and stayed there for the last 6ish days.

Props to them, they definitely had a plan. The CNN article has been updated again with pictures of his tattoo, adorable man-titties, and scars.

ETA: According to another article the police think the couple had mechanical issues with the SUV, so maybe not as crafty as I had assumed. They're searching the area for cars that have been stolen and any witnesses. Though if it's that rural I would guess they're SOL.

Last edited by plague311; 6th May 2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:37 PM   #101
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Orange wouldn't have been my first choice for a getaway vehicle but what do I know, I'm not a criminal mastermind.
Did they get caught in it, having made it to Tennessee?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 02:55 PM   #102
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

US Marshals: Casey White possibly sighted at car wash in Indiana, Vicky White not seen.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/us/vi...day/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) US Marshals have released photos of who they believe is Alabama fugitive Casey White caught on surveillance camera at an Evansville, Indiana, car wash.

This is the first time since White escaped a detention center with corrections officer Vicky White that he reportedly has been spotted.

Vicky White was not seen in the photos.
Old 9th May 2022, 03:10 PM   #103
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Both are in custody, breaking news, no details.
Old 9th May 2022, 03:10 PM   #104
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/us/vi...day/index.html
Old 9th May 2022, 03:28 PM   #105
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Both are in custody, breaking news, no details.
Well, if they were planning on being the next Bonnie and CLyde, it did not work out very well....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 03:34 PM   #106
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Along with any other charges against her, there should be one for "being a complete ******* dumbass".

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 03:35 PM   #107
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Police have released the surveillance picture of Casey that led to his capture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th-1107619018.jpg (23.5 KB, 8 views)

Old 9th May 2022, 03:37 PM   #108
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

At a car wash? Seriously? The dingbat couldn't have dusty rims for a while till the heat was off?

Old 9th May 2022, 03:43 PM   #109
crescent
Illuminator

She shot herself - but didn't die. He didn't kill her like some people suspected.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 03:45 PM   #110
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

self-inflicted wound

"Alabama fugitive Casey White and corrections officer Vicky White are in custody, and she is hospitalized after shooting herself, authorities said late Monday afternoon." CNN
Old 9th May 2022, 04:01 PM   #111
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
"Alabama fugitive Casey White and corrections officer Vicky White are in custody, and she is hospitalized after shooting herself, authorities said late Monday afternoon." CNN
She's an even bigger complete ******* dumbass than I thought.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 04:47 PM   #112
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
She's an even bigger complete ******* dumbass than I thought.
Quote:
US Marshals told CNN that Vicky White's injury was a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Her wounds are "very serious," said Sheriff Dave Wedding of Vanderburgh County, home to Evansville

Sounds like she tried to kill herself? An emotionally distraught suicidal "dumbass", I suppose some might say? Need more details.

I imagine she was an emotional wreck. I have no doubt that this guy manipulated her from the start. Sounds pretty tragic, tbh.

Last edited by Warp12; 9th May 2022 at 04:49 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 05:12 PM   #113
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I think you'll find those are Canadian airport codes.

Try again. Canadian IATA airport codes start with Y; for example, Winnipeg is YWG (I flew there once) and Vancouver is YVR (I picked someone up there once). The ICAO codes are the same, except there is a C appended to the front (e.g., CYWG).
Old 9th May 2022, 05:15 PM   #114
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

I suspect that she knew that as a former corrections officer she'd have an extremely rough time in prison, so she decided to try to kill herself.
Old 9th May 2022, 06:07 PM   #115
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Predictable. Well, they did make it to Indiana. Apparently they were in Evansville since May 3rd. They went missing on Friday, April 29th, if my calculations are correct. So they managed to evade authorities for roughly 10 days. Hope it was worth it!

I do hope she survives, so that she can face justice. Him too, of course.

Going to a car wash so soon seems like a foolish risk to take. Pretty much anywhere you go these days, there's a hidden camera somewhere that's watching you. Any store, any place of business. Even a self-service car wash. So I guess it's not surprising that they were caught so soon. If they were smarter and more careful, maybe they would have stayed at large for longer, but unless you truly go "off the grid", someone is going to spot you sooner or later, if you ever go shopping or out in public, or even just drive somewhere in a car.

Perhaps they thought that a dirty car might be more suspicious, but if that's the case, better to wash it in your own driveway. But apparently they were staying at a hotel, which seems like another mistake. They were not masterminds when it comes to living on the run.
Old 9th May 2022, 06:22 PM   #116
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Vicky White has died of her wounds, police report.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/09/us/vi...day/index.html
Old 9th May 2022, 06:48 PM   #117
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Predictable. Well, they did make it to Indiana. Apparently they were in Evansville since May 3rd. They went missing on Friday, April 29th, if my calculations are correct. So they managed to evade authorities for roughly 10 days. Hope it was worth it!
Indiana is only two states removed from Alabama. I wonder if it would have been better for them to make a clear run across the US to Washington or Oregon? I was going to suggest Montana because it's sparsely populated, but the problem with that is strangers would probably stand out more.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 07:05 PM   #118
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Indiana is only two states removed from Alabama. I wonder if it would have been better for them to make a clear run across the US to Washington or Oregon? I was going to suggest Montana because it's sparsely populated, but the problem with that is strangers would probably stand out more.
I don't know if the physical distance really matters all that much. At least, once you get at least two states away. Maybe it does.

How many states are two states or fewer away from Alabama? A lot. I count 21 of them, not including Alabama itself. You have to go through Tennessee and Kentucky to get to Indiana from Alabama, assuming the most direct route. There are 21 states you can reach by crossing 2 or fewer states to get there from Alabama.
Old 9th May 2022, 09:12 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Poor planning, did things but didn't manage to have decent disguises ready? He goes back to jail, no better or worse off. She kills herself.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2022, 09:23 PM   #120
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

And…Ms. White has died.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events