ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:46 PM   #1
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

Grasshopper Phone Forwarding service

Does anyone have any experience with Grasshopper Phone service? My company is thinking of switching to them and I'm hoping to hear from someone with some actual experience.

I'm the IT guy at work, so I'm supposed to make a recommendation to the boss. I've created an account, made several calls both to and from my cell and desktop using the service, and it seems to work ok. Voice quality is not quite what we're getting on our current VoIP system with Yealink desk phones, but it seems to be about the same as any cell phone call, so it's usable. And it's cheap.

Anyone with any direct experience?
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 04:39 PM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Grasshopper Phone service? My company is thinking of switching to them and I'm hoping to hear from someone with some actual experience.

I'm the IT guy at work, so I'm supposed to make a recommendation to the boss. I've created an account, made several calls both to and from my cell and desktop using the service, and it seems to work ok. Voice quality is not quite what we're getting on our current VoIP system with Yealink desk phones, but it seems to be about the same as any cell phone call, so it's usable. And it's cheap.

Anyone with any direct experience?
I don't have much to add, because I don't have a lot of experience. One of the counties we have uses a 3CX BVoIP system and has grasshopper to forward calls from the system to the on call judge. It's really easy to use, I know that much, but they've given us the same feedback. Sound quality is usable, and no major complaints. Personally, I'd just make a ghost extension, put the ring time to 1, and then forward it to an outside number. Make that number the on call person's number and be done with it but a lot of people don't want to learn that stuff.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 04:57 PM   #3
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

We do use something much like that to forward to our shipping guy, who's doesn't have a phone on our current system, he just uses his cell phone.

But we've been having some issues with the current system, mostly with the sound kind of cutting in and out on the phones that are at employee's homes. It was never an issue with the phones in the office, it only happens with the phones that are at residences.

My provider tells me that it because the residential routers don't have any QOS capability, and there's nothing they can do. When I told the boss that it kind of ticked him off, and when we found if we get rid of current system and phones and just have our toll free numbers forwarded through the Grasshopper service it would save us about $500 a month, he was gung ho about it.

The sound isn't quite as good on Grasshopper forwarded to our cell phones or computers, but it doesn't seem to suffer from dropouts. That plus the price savings makes it attractive.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 08:57 PM   #4
This is The End

Aside from whether or not the service actually works (sound quality, missed calls, cutting out, etc.) make sure you are aware of their actual terms of service as far as privacy and security are concerned. (Think Facebook )
Old 18th June 2018, 09:12 AM   #5
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Aside from whether or not the service actually works (sound quality, missed calls, cutting out, etc.) make sure you are aware of their actual terms of service as far as privacy and security are concerned. (Think Facebook )
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JimOfAllTrades View Post
So this basically gives you an 800 number and/or local numbers in areas outside your own? The major phone companies offer (or used to offer) similar services. Have you compared the alternatives?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2018, 11:42 AM   #7
JimOfAllTrades
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
So this basically gives you an 800 number and/or local numbers in areas outside your own? The major phone companies offer (or used to offer) similar services. Have you compared the alternatives?
I'm sorry, I didn't see this over the weekend.

Grasshopper is a forwarding service with a few "Cloud PBX" services. They take your existing numbers (local, nationwide 800 service, whatever) or give you a new number if you need it, and forward it to another existing phone number, like your cell phone. It's aimed at people who are out of the office a lot, or who work from home. Grasshopper allows PBX type voice mail, forwarding, transferring calls, incoming fax to email, group ringing, etc., through your cell phone or home phone.

My company recently "decentralized" and all employees are now working from their homes. We have a cloud PBX VoIP phone system that worked quite well in the office, and is working with the phones at the employees homes except for one thing: we're all experiencing some "dropouts" while on calls. You'll be in the middle of a call and suddenly you can't hear the other person or they can't hear you for a second or two. Then it comes back.

Our provider has made some adjustments and it has helped, but we're still having trouble. They say it's because the home routers don't have QOS control. The dropouts aren't happening all the time, but it's enough that we're getting some comments on it from customers.

In looking for possible solutions, we found the forwarding services like Grasshopper that use your cell phone, computer, or home phone. They seem to expect to use home routers. And even though the voice quality isn't quite as good as the VoIP desk phones (in between the dropouts) they don't seem to drop out altogether.

But before we dove in I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with them, good or bad.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet