ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #3441
Deadie
New Blood

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Have you never heard of gas moving due to pressure gradient. Do you not know basic science?
The infamous Station bar fire in 2003 caused the unfortunate deaths of 100 people. The largest portion of victims were found where? Near the front entrance in the building where frightened people bunched up and couldn't push pass one another.

Matter has mass and this includes rocket exhaust as well as people.

I also wouldn't consider the thermodynamics of rocket science to be 'basic' and neither should you really if you think 1 atmosphere of pressure differential is the smoking gun to some grand conspiracy.
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #3442
Hans
Philosopher

Do you not know basic science?
Hmmm, since you don't know basic science how could you evaluate this in others?

Pray tell?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #3443
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Hmmm, since you don't know basic science how could you evaluate this in others?

Pray tell?
I'm guessing either Dunning & Kruger College, or the notion that everyone including Gingervytes is just in this thread for the lulz.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #3444
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Since gas moves from high pressure to low pressure, I wonder where the gas would go if it were contained at very high pressure in a long cylinder and that cylinder was in a vacuum.

ETA: And you opened one end of the cylinder? I left that bit out sorry.
The cylinder would not move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbc8bdacIBg
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #3445
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Stop shilling Jerry Sprocket's videos. He's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

What if a very tiny hole were opened in the cylinder? Would the gas exhaust all at once? Or would it take some time? You still haven't answered me this one, Mr. Basic Science.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #3446
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

You are ridiculous.

Your video is ridiculous. Are you suggesting that there is no air pressure inside a cardboard tube that is open in both ends? Would be fun if it wasn't so sad.

Hans
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #3447
Ranb
Philosopher

Oh, a gun video, my favorite.

Since the gun is much heavier than the bullet, the noticeable motion of the gun is not seen until after the bullet leaves the gun.

Too bad the author did not also show a gun using a blank to demonstrate the difference the exit mass makes for thrust/recoil.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #3448
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Oh, but Inspector, there are still one or two things I don't understand.

If there's a pressure gradient in the tube doesn't that mean there's higher pressure up at the closed end?

And if there's higher pressure pushing on the inside of closed end than pushing on the outside, why wouldn't the tube move?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #3449
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
...why wouldn't the tube move?
In Gingervytes' world, the gas molecules magically know to go only in the direction of the opening. But only if there's total vacuum outside.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #3450
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
In Gingervytes' world, the gas molecules magically know to go only in the direction of the opening. But only if there's total vacuum outside.
But that can't be! If there's any pressure at all the vacuum will cause the container to blow up!
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #3451
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
But that can't be! If there's any pressure at all the vacuum will cause the container to blow up!
Only if the container is called a rocket. Then it's different. Gingervytes' model is just a loose collection of selected special cases held together with pressure gradient force.
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #3452
Axxman300
Illuminator

I have a great idea. By a gun, head out to the range, chew a big wad of bubble gum, and then jam it in the barrel.

I want to see that video.
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #3453
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Oh, a gun video, my favorite.

Since the gun is much heavier than the bullet, the noticeable motion of the gun is not seen until after the bullet leaves the gun.

Too bad the author did not also show a gun using a blank to demonstrate the difference the exit mass makes for thrust/recoil.
Also, the bigger the round, the bigger, and more immediate the recoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmO_J-_N_8Q

Same thing from different angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6UNE09kW0

And one more because slow-mo .50 caliber footage is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhXaER53CHQ

Bullets work in space too.

Last edited by Axxman300; Yesterday at 03:57 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #3454
Robin
Philosopher

The illustration below is of an area of expanding gas and a steel plate to the left of it and in open space with no other objects nearby.

So:

1. Which point has the greater pressure, A or G?
2. Will particles between A and G move towards A or towards G?
3. Given that there is nothing but vacuum between the moving particles to the left of A and the steel plate, what will stop the particles from coming into contact with the steel?

Or don't you know basic science?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grenade_and_gas3.jpg (35.4 KB, 3 views)
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"

Last edited by Robin; Yesterday at 03:52 PM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #3455
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Bullets work in space too.
The nitrocellulose decomposes when heated by the primer, no oxidizer needed. I read in an encyclopedia that black powder does not work in a vacuum. I suppose that they meant a loose pile will not ignite in a vacuum if heated to the proper temperature. A black powder cartridge will of course work just as a smokeless cartridge will in a vacuum.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I have a great idea. By a gun, head out to the range, chew a big wad of bubble gum, and then jam it in the barrel.
Stupid idea. The gum will just fly out of the barrel, no bubbles.

Quote:
I want to see that video.
I'll make it and post it online if you like.

Last edited by Ranb; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #3456
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
He still thinks vacuum exerts an attractive force on gas molecules. (And that that's the only reason gas diffuses into lower-pressure spaces. And that that mysterious force is called "pressure gradient force.")
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #3457
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Does it look like any of the videos meet the requirements for monetization?
Yep.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #3458
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'll make it and post it online if you like.
I'm kind of fond of my hand.

But god bless redneck science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMIdNgxmKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VE9M7YH6g

Also, I would be remiss in my shill duties if I didn't post this video explaining flying to the ISS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjw6Lc6J2g

The thing that always impresses me is how well astronauts can explain space travel to lay people.

Last edited by Axxman300; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #3459
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Oh, but Inspector, there are still one or two things I don't understand.

If there's a pressure gradient in the tube doesn't that mean there's higher pressure up at the closed end?

And if there's higher pressure pushing on the inside of closed end than pushing on the outside, why wouldn't the tube move?
As I understand his theory, it is a special magic kind of pressure that only acts on gas, and never on solids.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #3460
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Have you never heard of gas moving due to pressure gradient. Do you not know basic science?
I don't know about "basic" science, but I've taught physical chemistry and the kinetic theory of gases, so I know that. And no, I've never heard of "gas moving due to pressure gradient."

I do remember very clearly one of the most important lessons from my book, "Building Scientific Apparatus," which is a primary resource that one uses in (amazingly) building apparatus for doing scientific research. Which I've done.

And the lesson is this:

VACUUM DOES NOT "SUCK"

There is no force that pulls gas molecules into lower pressure regions.

Then again, what do the folks who wrote the book about building scientific apparatus know about "basic science," right?
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #3461
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
And the lesson is this:

VACUUM DOES NOT "SUCK"

Checking out molecular beams might help underscore that point. If there were such a force, it would cause the beam to spread out.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #3462
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Checking out molecular beams might help underscore that point. If there were such a force, it would cause the beam to spread out.
Good point.

Yuan Lee must be a fraud, right?
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #3463
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know about "basic" science, but I've taught physical chemistry and the kinetic theory of gases, so I know that. And no, I've never heard of "gas moving due to pressure gradient."

I do remember very clearly one of the most important lessons from my book, "Building Scientific Apparatus," which is a primary resource that one uses in (amazingly) building apparatus for doing scientific research. Which I've done.

And the lesson is this:

VACUUM DOES NOT "SUCK"

Then again, what do the folks who wrote the book about building scientific apparatus know about "basic science," right?
That's great, but you understand that all of that is irrelevant before GV's "feelings". Those are far more important, right?

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #3464
curious cat
Thinker

Hell... I got sucked in again.

Anyway, just extending the logic of Issac Sprocket's physics:
So, in vacuum it wouldn't move. In the air environment it would be pushed backwards (as we know). Would it be fair to assume underwater (denser medium to push away from) the thrust would be greater?
Experiment a bit - the deeper you go the better.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #3465
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Slow down there. It is not every day that one happens upon an individual claiming that self aware, cognitive gas molecules are democratically voting on their movement,

Take some time to relish the insanity peppers. It's the only way to be sure.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #3466
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Then what would the equal and opposite reaction be? There has to be one.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #3467
bknight
Graduate Poster

And the lesson is this:

VACUUM DOES NOT "SUCK"

Gosh do you mean that you didn't write about a "pressure gradient force"? Although I didn't read you text book, I never heard about this nonsense until I read this thread.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #3468
Robin
Philosopher

Pressure gradient force appears to be a thing in meteorology and maybe oceanography. Notice that the distance units are kilometres. I doubt there are any rockets that need such large units for the pressure gradient.

However I think we can agree that if there is a pressure gradient in a fluid then, all else being equal, the fluid will move to a state of equal pressure and that until it has equalised a net force will be exerted on any object contained in the fluid in the direction of the lower pressure.

And of course such a force is not a fundamental force (as GV appears to think or rather be pretending to think) but the cumulative force from all the individual forces exerted in the fluid.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #3469
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...And the lesson is this:

VACUUM DOES NOT "SUCK"
Hah!!! Tell that to all the people who didn't buy one of the latest Dysonô Brushless Vacuums!!

Laughable, man!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #3470
Robin
Philosopher

OK, new question GV.

The following illustration is of a patch of hot, dense expanding gas (shown in red) and a cooler patch of gas (shown in grey).

It is all in open space with no other mass nearby, therefore the white represents vacuum.

Can you describe what you think will happen to the cooler gas as the other patch of gas expands?

Does it stay where it is, move to the right, or something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas_and_gas_in_vacuum2.jpg (4.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Robin; Yesterday at 10:49 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology