ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #3281
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
...I’m not entirely convinvced that POYUS knows he is lying.
He does but in no time he convinces himself he isn't.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #3282
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Won't cost them a cent, then.
Touchè.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #3283
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Touchè. Touché
FTFY

(My French teachers would rise from their graves and haunt me if I didn't)
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #3284
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Trump campaign to fire pollsters after unflattering poll numbers make the news
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #3285
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Another Tweetstorm this evening. I often like to make some sort of "clever" reply to each post (even though it is highly unlikely to be seen), but there's just too much to respond to now. I don't want to spend that much time and energy on it.
Do you ever wonder if the constant criticism just gives Trump more oxygen for his brush fires? Sometimes I think ignoring him might be the best policy, but that can't be right. Still, if the whole country got bored of him and moved on it might help. He'll still be able to fill seats at a venue to make it look like he's immensely popular.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #3286
Tero
Graduate Poster

In the newsollsters and treason. Has Trump accused the pollsters of treason yet?
Quote:
Last night the New York Times published a bombshell story revealing that the United States government has been preemptively hacking Russia as a way of fending off potential 2020 election interference, and that the U.S. military and U.S. intelligence community have been hesitant to discuss it with Donald Trump due to his loyalty to Russia. This naturally sent Trump into a rage. Now the Times is firing back.

For reference, Donald Trump posted this revealing and disturbing tweet: “Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia. This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!”

The New York Times fired back by posting this reply directly under Donald Trump’s tweet, thus ensuring that those in his timeline saw it: “Accusing the press of treason is dangerous. We described the article to the government before publication. As our story notes, President Trump’s own national security officials said there were no concerns.”

To be clear, Donald Trump has still provided no evidence to support his claim that the New York Times story is “not true.” Nor has he even tried to explain why an American newspaper would be committing “treason” by offending Russia – though it does explain quite a bit about Trump’s own allegiances.
https://www.palmerreport.com/analysi...ump-don/18715/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #3287
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Do you ever wonder if the constant criticism just gives Trump more oxygen for his brush fires? Sometimes I think ignoring him might be the best policy, but that can't be right. Still, if the whole country got bored of him and moved on it might help. He'll still be able to fill seats at a venue to make it look like he's immensely popular.
He is immensely popular, though. Between those that love him and those that love to hate him, he's making out better than Old Man Kangaroo.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #3288
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He is immensely popular, though. Between those that love him and those that love to hate him, he's making out better than Old Man Kangaroo.
So is heroin.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #3289
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump is like a car wreck on the freeway. You don't want to look, you tell yourself not to look...but you can't help yourself.
And the whole country has gaper's block.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #3290
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So is heroin.
Well the problem there is if the Republicans are gonna nominate "Heroin" as their candidate again in 2020 while the Dems are gonna spend the next year running purity tests on each other's tweets from 10 years ago and Heroin is going to win the Presidency again if we're not careful.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #3291
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump emphatically denies something exists that just a few words ago he called treason for attempting to reveal.

(a) Laughable. Absolutely pathetically laughable.
(b) Trump denying something = it's very likely perfectly true.

He's worried someone's going to offend Putin?

The CIA is no longer briefing the POTUS?

Well... given the NYT piece...

Pentagon can’t trust briefing Trump about cyber operations against Russia

Quote:
Two administration officials said they believed Mr. Trump had not been briefed in any detail about the steps to place “implants” — software code that can be used for surveillance or attack — inside the Russian grid.

Pentagon and intelligence officials described broad hesitation to go into detail with Mr. Trump about operations against Russia for concern over his reaction — and the possibility that he might countermand it or discuss it with foreign officials

Oh, and for the "fun" of it...

Trump again attacks press as 'Enemy of the People', suggests public may 'demand' he not leave office

It be- no, it continues.

Sharia court orders jail for rape victim unless kids handed to rapist. Wait...I meant Alabama.

Serial Rapist = got off scot-free despite irrefutable evidence, looks like, but even if he hadn't...
Victim = Facing jail time for any refusal to work with the serial rapist/attempt to deny visitation.

Horrific.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #3292
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well the problem there is if the Republicans are gonna nominate "Heroin" as their candidate again in 2020 while the Dems are gonna spend the next year running purity tests on each other's tweets from 10 years ago and Heroin is going to win the Presidency again if we're not careful.
Everyone knows heroin is addictive and will likely kill you, but it's still immensely popular.
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #3293
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Don't be surprised if Trump gives them money to build a huge neon "TRUMP Heights" sign.
Trump give money?!
[coughing, sputtering, choking]

I’d be less surprised if he held a press conference and announced that all his financial records would be available to Congress immediately.
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #3294
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Trump casually comparing himself to Nixon is probably the greatest unintentional self-own he's yet provided us.

Quote:
"I wasn't going to fire (Mueller). You know why? Because I watched Richard Nixon go around firing everybody, and that didn't work out too well," Trump said in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos that aired Sunday.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #3295
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump give money?!
[coughing, sputtering, choking]

I’d be less surprised if he held a press conference and announced that all his financial records would be available to Congress immediately.
Oh, yeah...I forgot his 'foundation' that he used as his personal piggy bank was shut down.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #3296
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone knows heroin is addictive and will likely kill you, but it's still immensely popular.
So is the Hero-in Charge, according to many people. Lots of people.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #3297
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
So is the Hero-in Charge, according to many people. Lots of people.
People are saying. And he's read it somewhere. But we'll see what happens.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #3298
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I read the article, then forced myself to go to Trump's Twitter to see if he really said:
Quote:
A poll should be done on which is the more dishonest and deceitful newspaper, the Failing New York Times or the Amazon (lobbyist) Washington Post! They are both a disgrace to our Country, the Enemy of the People, but I just can’t seem to figure out which is worse? The good.....
.....news is that at the end of 6 years, after America has been made GREAT again and I leave the beautiful White House (do you think the people would demand that I stay longer? KEEP AMERICA GREAT), both of these horrible papers will quickly go out of business & be forever gone!
Six years? WTF is that all about?
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #3299
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I read the article, then forced myself to go to Trump's Twitter to see if he really said:

Six years? WTF is that all about?

Basically the plan follows the Putin Swap. After winning in 2020 Trump serves
two more years, then resigns the presidency. President Pence, who disappears
into the background, then names Trump as Vice President handles all the figure
head stuff such as ceremonies, press conferences, meetings with foreign leaders,
and so on.

The plan has a flaw of course: You can never be too sure what the future holds.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #3300
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Since hes been blessed by god himself he doesn't do that anymore.
When you're president they let you.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #3301
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

The plan has a flaw of course: You can never be too sure what the future holds.
Has a bigger flaw, I sincerely doubt Trump would trust Pence in that scenario.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #3302
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I was wondering the other day if someone had done an analysis if anyone had done an analysis of how many front page headlines Trump generates compared to his predecessors.

I'd go with more than double any other president of anywhere. I doubt Kim Jung Un has as many columns dedicated to him - you can only go around so many golf courses in 18.

If I had to go for how much coverage there's been of Trump against Obama, I'd say Trump would be ahead by at least triple. You'd have to say, he's been a serious boon to the industry he despises so much.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #3303
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Has a bigger flaw, I sincerely doubt Trump would trust Pence in that scenario.

Well then, Trump means he will serve six more years in the White House
as the only answer that fits Trebuchet question. I guess he thinks only
a weak economy can get him out of office. And that possibility seems
remote to me now.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #3304
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

People are saying. And he's read it somewhere. But we'll see what happens.
Now we know you're lying...
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #3305
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I think you're mistaking attention for popularity. True, all the negative coverage fulfills the old "there's no such thing as bad press" adage, but that adage is a lie. Ask Hillary. Ask Howard Dean. Negative coverage hurts.

By this standard, all the people who loved to hate Hitler meant he was really really popular... in the media that was slamming him and his policies.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #3306
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I just realized that the Trump Presidential Library will be in Mar-a-Lago.

Why do I expect that researchers will be charged for each personal document that they view?
When they really (unless they verify a felony) need to be for is processing them to make toilet paper!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #3307
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump casually comparing himself to Nixon is probably the greatest unintentional self-own he's yet provided us.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #3308
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think you're mistaking attention for popularity. True, all the negative coverage fulfills the old "there's no such thing as bad press" adage, but that adage is a lie. Ask Hillary. Ask Howard Dean. Negative coverage hurts.
But it doesn't hurt Mrs Trump's little boy.

His popularity rating is the same as it's been right for the past 18 months.

No scandal, no lie, no terrible policy makes a difference to his support. You want to erode his support? Find the pregnant woman he paid to have an abortion.
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #3309
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

No scandal, no lie, no terrible policy makes a difference to his support. You want to erode his support? Find the pregnant woman he paid to have an abortion.
And then what?

President Trump will say she is lying. Then his followers will be faced with the choice of admitting they were suckered or of sticking by him against the slanders and libels of the FAKE-NEWS corporations. If you would like to make a wager, I have picked the outcome I consider more likely.
Old Today, 12:22 AM   #3310
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

And then what?

President Trump will say she is lying. Then his followers will be faced with the choice of admitting they were suckered or of sticking by him against the slanders and libels of the FAKE-NEWS corporations. If you would like to make a wager, I have picked the outcome I consider more likely.
Alternately, the Mulligan option.
Old Today, 01:29 AM   #3311
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Trumps "Trump card" is that the Republican party is the party of nationalism and borderline fascism. They'll praise their dear leader as long as he shows glowing national pride and flag waves. Afterall he realizes he could "stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose any voters."

Hence the same idiots that claimed Obama was "divider and chief" or the anti-christ are the same ones relentlessly praising Trump and claiming he was anointed by God despite him being the closest thing to a Mob boss we've seen in a modern president.

This guy would literally burst into flames if he walked into a church but the evangelicals love him. He says he loves America and literally hugs the American flag. What more could you want??

Last edited by Juniversal; Today at 01:32 AM.
Juniversal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #3312
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I look at what the people of Hong Kong are doing to protect their democracy and Americas hand wringing on TV and social media. Some contrast.
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #3313
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

He does but in no time he convinces himself he isn't.
My humble (honest folks, it is humble, believe me) opinion is that Trump doesn't ever think about whether he's lying and doesn't consider that there would be any point in doing so. Rather, he just says what's most convenient at the time. My basis for this opinion is the number of times that his lies contradict his previous lies.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; Today at 04:26 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics