ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th February 2017, 11:46 PM   #1921
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Or perhaps you have no clue what love actually is. "love" on the basis of threat is not love.

Pointless bible babble. Has it not yet dawned on you that most of us do not care what is in your book?

No. You have already claimed that it is not enough to be good on it's lonesome. Or are you accepting that an atheist who leads a good life goes to your heaven?

Love apples? What are those?

What a boring life.

Is it? Why do you not follow them? You have told us up front and centre that you toss many of your "god's laws" right under the bus. Why is that?

That is not "love", that is an awful world view.

Why are yours not so motivated?

Yay for abject misogyny. Should we all aspire to that?

Take note, I enjoy it in ways your deity of choice forbids and I am glad of it. Your deity can go foxtrot oscar.
Love is a verb, so it is action---do not lie, do not steal, do not commit adultery, honour your parents, do not covet your neighbour’s wife or any of his possessions.

So are you saying you do not agree with love, so are you anti-love?

So the core issue of the Bible is to teach people to love>
Luke 21:31---Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the Kingdom of God is near.
Paul Bethke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 11:47 PM   #1922
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Paul Bethke describes God's love in terms of an abuser who forces obedience from his wife and children through violence, psychological terror and threats of rape by "outsiders."
Why do you lie??
Luke 21:31---Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the Kingdom of God is near.
Paul Bethke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2017, 11:52 PM   #1923
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul Bethke View Post
Why do you lie??
It isn't a lie at all. It's what you claimed.
Old 20th February 2017, 11:55 PM   #1924
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
You have no way of knowing that.
You have yet to demonstrate even a basic level of knowledge and have demonstrated quite clearly that acceptance of correction is something foreign.
Better keep the Mizvot then. Except, you don't.
So tell me which one of the Mitzvah I do not keep!!

The truth is in the Scriptures, the Ten Commands are the basis of truth, one can be judged by these commands, and the keeping of them makes for a good person—do you keep them?
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM   #1925
Border Reiver
Philosopher

You have indicated that the prohibition of wearing clothing of mixed fibres has been ignored, along with the requirement to wear a phylactery, and clothing with a fringe.
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM   #1926
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you lie??
How is what HC said a lie?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #1927
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Why do you lie??
Halleyscomet is not lying.

Yahweh uses the threat of eternal punishment to ensure obedience - not any positive reinforcement of good behaviour. Job is an excellent example of this. Yahweh uses collective punishment (the Egyptian plagues, the Flood, destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah) and punishes children for the sins of their parents (Sodom and Gomorrah again, the cursing of Ham's children, the 40 years in the wilderness, Adam and Eve, etc.).

And then of course is the arbitrary way in which He provides his protection and blessings. Some will receive the benefits of good behaviour during this life, while others will just have to wait for this life after death (only found in the NT).
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #1928
Patchwork Moth
Scholar

I realise this adds little to any discussion but why do you keep insisting that love is a verb. Love is a noun (abstract one) or a verb depending on its context. In phrases like 'love triangle' or 'love heart' some might even argue that it can be seen as an adjective though I wouldn't go that far. I'm no biblical scholar, and am learning loads on here from a few of you (thanks guys,) but even I know from my church going days that there are different words in the original text of the bible which are all translated into the single word love.

Just to make it clear, I am not learning anything relevant from PB himself just from the responses.
Patchwork Moth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #1929
Peregrinus
Critical Thinker

The truth is in the Scriptures, the Ten Commands are the basis of truth, one can be judged by these commands, and the keeping of them makes for a good person—do you keep them?
A centuries-old, bold assertion without a shred of supporting evidence.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #1930
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Love is a verb, so it is action---
St. Paul the apostle had no problem using "love" as a noun. You don't have a good track record of knowing about languages, especially the original languages of the Bible. It is improper for you to try to teach grammar.

Quote:
Nice try. People are disagreeing with your conceptualization of love, whether from the Bible or otherwise. To disagree with you is not to be anti-love.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #1931
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

You can start with all the ones you claim are no longer relevant. Keep in mind that your critics are not idiots. They know that if you're making excuses for why you shouldn't be required to keep them, those statements preconceive that you are not keeping them.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #1932
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you lie??
He's not lying. What he said is an accurate summary of your preaching. Your rants about the end times are predicated entirely on people being forced by violence to obey, thereby resulting in your post-apocalyptic utopia in which you claim you will have a leadership role. Now you're trying to distance yourself from that compulsion, perhaps because you realize your revenge fantasy is incompatible with Christian scripture and teaching.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM   #1933
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Did you forget about this thread?

Paul Bethke vs the 613 Mitzvot

Aside from the thread, You've already made it clear you don't follow several of the grooming and clothing Mitzvot, despite having no reason not to follow them other than personal convenience.

Why do you lie??
I'm not lying. You've repeatedly asserted that you believe loving and obeying God comes from the fear of brutal punishment. You've repeatedly predicted a time when brutal punishment from God will force people to obey and follow her.

You are not describing a loving deity. You are describing an abuser. The fact that you depict an emotionally and physically abusive relationship as "loving" suggests things about you I won't discuss here, but will reserve for the short story I'm working on inspired by our discussions here.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #1934
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...

I know you will not answer this, but you have already said you do not keep the personal grooming mitzvot, nor the instructions to wear tellifin and phylacteries.

Which others of the mitzvot have you, personally, dismissed?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #1935
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Love is a verb, so it is action---do not lie, do not steal, do not commit adultery, honour your parents, do not covet your neighbour’s wife or any of his possessions.

So the core issue of the Bible is to teach people to love>
Your posts here do not describe love. They describe terror at the hands of an abuser.

I am anti-abuse. therefore, I am against the perverted terrorizing of others you disturbingly insist upon calling "love." The Bible describes 4 kinds of love, none of which resembles the abuse you advocate.

Eros
Storge
Philia
Agape

You seem to be ignoring Eros completely, conflating it with lust.

I do not recall anything in any of your posts that could be construed as referring to Philia. If you are familiar with the concept there is nothing I can recall posted here indicating as such.

You appear to be treating Agape and Storge as equivalent; further twisting them into an abuse victim obeying their abuser out of terror. Again, I will reserve speculation about what this says about you as a father and a husband for the fiction story I'm working on. I see no point in finding out if you treat your family the way you want your version of "god" to treat us. I doubt we could get an accurate response out of you anyway given the extent of the confusion you've exhibited about the difference between love and abuse.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #1936
GT/CS
Illuminator

If I were to speak to a golfer I would have to learn the meaning of his terminology—so if a child heard him say “I hit a birdie” that child would take it literally, until it was explained.
Uh, no. A golfer would never say that. It makes absolutely no sense to "hit a birdie".

Try, "I made a birdie".
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #1937
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Uh, no. A golfer would never say that. It makes absolutely no sense to "hit a birdie".

Try, "I made a birdie".
Shudder. That's worse, you pervert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #1938
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post

Try, "I made a birdie".
Is that so--well here it is---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPDebaw5lzg

Last edited by Paul Bethke; Yesterday at 11:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #1939
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

https://www.youtube.com/w
Your posts here do not describe love. They describe terror at the hands of an abuser.

I am anti-abuse. therefore, I am against the perverted terrorizing of others you disturbingly insist upon calling "love." The Bible describes 4 kinds of love, none of which resembles the abuse you advocate.

Eros
Storge
Philia
Agape

You seem to be ignoring Eros completely, conflating it with lust.

I do not recall anything in any of your posts that could be construed as referring to Philia. If you are familiar with the concept there is nothing I can recall posted here indicating as such.

You appear to be treating Agape and Storge as equivalent; further twisting them into an abuse victim obeying their abuser out of terror. Again, I will reserve speculation about what this says about you as a father and a husband for the fiction story I'm working on. I see no point in finding out if you treat your family the way you want your version of "god" to treat us. I doubt we could get an accurate response out of you anyway given the extent of the confusion you've exhibited about the difference between love and abuse.

What I am referring to is the Old Testament (Tanahk), the Hebrew meaning of Love—not the Greek or Italian or Latin. As you should know, that is if you know, the New Covenant is a continuation of the Old. So when we want to know the origin we must invariably consider what the Old Testament says.
Even the New Testament(Covenant) refers to love as the keeping of the commands of Yahweh.---( Joh_15:10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

This is love for God---(1John_5:2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.

My posts focus on keeping the commands of Yahweh, which entails that you do not lie, steal, commit adultery or murder, plus a host of other commands which promote love, so how can you so erroneously state that I promote abuse—so you are a liar!!!
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #1940
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What I am referring to is the Old Testament (Tanahk), the Hebrew meaning of Love—not the Greek or Italian or Latin.
That has nothing to do with the New Testament quotes you are relying upon. And not that you actually know anything about Hebrew; we've already established that.

Quote:
As you should know, that is if you know, the New Covenant is a continuation of the Old. So when we want to know the origin we must invariably consider what the Old Testament says.
No.

The Hebrew language is distinct from Latin and from Greek. If you're going to talk about the meaning of words, you can't just mix-and-match languages like that. The fact remains that you know nothing of the meanings of the words in the original languages of the text you are quoting.

Quote:
My posts focus on keeping the commands of Yahweh...
Your posts focus on the use of violence to force people to obey the commandments of Yahweh.

Quote:
which entails that you do not lie, steal, commit adultery or murder, plus a host of other commands which promote love, so how can you so erroneously state that I promote abuse—so you are a liar!!!
He is not a liar. You propose that people will be compelled by Yahweh's violence not to lie, steal, commit adultery, or murder. The use of force to compel compliance is exactly abuse. You cannot escape this very simple fact.
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #1941
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Signs of the End Times - Part Two

Was there a specific video you were trying to link to? If so, you failed.

What I am referring to is the Old Testament (Tanahk), the Hebrew meaning of Love—not the Greek or Italian or Latin. As you should know, that is if you know, the New Covenant is a continuation of the Old. So when we want to know the origin we must invariably consider what the Old Testament says.
Even the New Testament(Covenant) refers to love as the keeping of the commands of Yahweh.---( Joh_15:10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

As an alleged Christian, is it really wise to reject New Covenant love and grace in favor of Old Testament judgement?

You ignore the New Testament when it's convenient for you. Pray tell, is your criteria for what parts of the New Testament don't matter as fuzzy and fungible as your criteria for what Mitzvot you ignore? We've already seen you discard the Mitzvot based upon personal convenience. It appears you do the same with the New Testament.

By the way, what portions of the Bible are you asserting were originally written in Italian? Please elaborate.

My posts focus on keeping the commands of Yahweh, which entails that you do not lie, steal, commit adultery or murder, plus a host of other commands which promote love, so how can you so erroneously state that I promote abuse—so you are a liar!!!

Pointing out that you equate the behavior of an abuser with "love" does not make me a liar, regardless of how many times you mention the Ten Commandments. Your behavior and arguments are, however, consistent with an abuser trying to rationalize their actions.

I find your misuse of English words to be darkly amusing. In past posts you have asserted:
  • Virgins can have sex, as long as it's the kind of sex Paul Bethke has had.
  • Gentiles can be Jews when it means Paul Bethke gets to join the Heavenly choir he wants in on.
  • Rape can be consensual, and not in the kinky role play sense.
  • Abuse is Love, as long as it's God or Paul Bethke providing that "love."
  • Any portions of the Bible that contradict what Paul Bethke is saying at the moment can be ignored.
  • A prophet doesn't have to make any actual prophecies.
  • Jesus didn't have hair like Orthodox Jews because Paul Bethke prefers to think Jesus kept his hair well-trimmed, even though that would violate one of the Mitzvot Christian theology says Jesus followed perfectly. Also, Paul Bethke has some nasty things to say about the hair of Orthodox Jews.
  • Quoting the Bible about things it says have happened in the past is prophesy.
I could go on, but I think anyone reading has gotten the idea by now.

Last edited by halleyscomet; Today at 06:47 AM.
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #1942
Border Reiver
Philosopher

[url]My posts focus on keeping the commands of Yahweh, which entails that you do not lie, steal, commit adultery or murder, plus a host of other commands which promote love, so how can you so erroneously state that I promote abuse—so you are a liar!!!
Yahweh's commands also include the Mitzvot - and you've established that you don't follow those in their entirety.

We do not erroneously state that you promote abuse, we confirm that you promote abuse. Yahweh demands absolute obedience and has no problems with punishing the children of transgressors for their ancestor's transgressions either, or he will punish the transgressor for eternity. Yahweh then makes sure that everyone knows that its all the transgressor's fault, He wanted to be nice, but gosh darn it, they made me destroy the whole world.
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #1943
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Your posts focus on the use of violence to force people to obey the commandments of Yahweh.

He is not a liar. You propose that people will be compelled by Yahweh's violence not to lie, steal, commit adultery, or murder. The use of force to compel compliance is exactly abuse. You cannot escape this very simple fact.
I find his defense of abusive behavior and insistence that it's a form of love to be very disturbing. The fictional character I'm basing upon him is one I'd previously assumed would be at least somewhat psychologically abusive. The explicit and determined defense of abuse and insistence that it's love reflected in these recent posts is taking the character in a much darker direction.
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #1944
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

... snipped for relevance ...

Paul Bethke you have been promoting abuse ever since you came to the Forum.

To name just two such cases: There was your famous 'blinding list' that you tried numerous times to implement in the past and that you still refer to currently. Also, there are your periodic racist rants which are also quite well known.
On 04 JAN 2017 Paul Bethke said that he is more powerful than his god: "... Even Yahweh has up to this day failed to accomplish his will on earth, so I will take his failure and bring about success. So do carry on in your floundering." http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post11654315

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:11 AM   #1945
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

To name just two such cases: There was your famous 'blinding list' that you tried numerous times to implement in the past and that you still refer to currently. Also, there are your periodic racist rants which are also quite well known.

I thought he was just going to blind James Randi. Was there a whole list of victims? Got a link handy?

Let's not forget his vow that my belly would swell and burst. He didn't even bother putting one of his Biblical-scale "soon" qualifiers on it. "Obey me or I'll murder you in a violent, painful, drawn-out manner" just screams "Love" to you, doesn't it?
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #1946
Crossbow

I thought he was just going to blind James Randi. Was there a whole list of victims? Got a link handy?

Let's not forget his vow that my belly would swell and burst. He didn't even bother putting one of his Biblical-scale "soon" qualifiers on it. "Obey me or I'll murder you in a violent, painful, drawn-out manner" just screams "Love" to you, doesn't it?
Paul Bethke was quite ambitious with his blinding list once he figured out some details like time changes, when the radio show was going to be on, and so on.

Originally, Paul Bethke was going to blind James Randi and a couple of other people who were on the original James Randi Radio Show. But, after Paul Bethke figured out some details such as time changes and when the radio show was going to be aired, then he became quite ambitious with his blinding list (see below).

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...506#post198506

And sorry, but I missed that bit regarding how Paul Bethke cursed you as well: as for me, I have never been so honored.
On 04 JAN 2017 Paul Bethke said that he is more powerful than his god: "... Even Yahweh has up to this day failed to accomplish his will on earth, so I will take his failure and bring about success. So do carry on in your floundering." http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post11654315

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #1947
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Not abuse but justice which you cannot understand---I hope you recall that the people as well as Randi were willing recipients.
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #1948
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

Well at least you understand what love is--love is removing those who refuse to repent, so that others can live in peace and love. So you are the cause of your own destruction.
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #1949
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Well at least you understand what love is--love is removing those who refuse to repent, so that others can live in peace and love.
No, that has nothing to do with love in any form. What you're talking about is force. It's terrifying that you can't seem to tell the difference.
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #1950
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Not abuse but justice which you cannot understand--
No, abuse. Justice requires a rational, equitable approach based on facts. You're just suggesting using force to get what you want. You don't display any working understanding of justice. You confuse it with retribution.
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #1951
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Well at least you understand what love is--love is removing those who refuse to repent, so that others can live in peace and love. So you are the cause of your own destruction.
Nope. That's not love either.

The fact that an alleged Christian is advocating abandoning the unconverted is rather gobsmacking. You are advocating the exact opposite of what Christ commanded and the Apostles lived.

Have you considered investing in a dictionary? You seem to need one quite badly. Do you have an Amazon wish list? If so, add a good dictionary to it and post the link. I'm sure someone here will send it to you. For example, this is my Amazon Wishlist with subcategories and everything: http://a.co/eGO85hY

Not abuse but justice which you cannot understand---I hope you recall that the people as well as Randi were willing recipients.
And yet not a single one of them was blinded. Hmmmmm.
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #1952
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Also, there are your periodic racist rants which are also quite well known.
Racism seems to tie in quite well with the proposition that Christian "love" means forcing out all the people whom you've decided don't belong there, so that you can live comfortably with people you like. Gee, where have we seen that implemented before on a national scale?
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #1953
Crossbow

It is not justice that you are after.

Instead, ever since you have started posting here at the Forum you have been constantly trying to feed your own ego with stupid predictions and the nonsense that you some sort of tool of God. And lately you have claimed that you are some sort of immortal who both infallible and who has more power than his own God.

It is times like this that I almost wish that there were a God of some sort to show you how terribly wrong you are because no mortal person can ever convince you of how terribly wrong you are.

Old Today, 02:14 PM   #1954
halleyscomet
Philosopher

It is not justice that you are after.

Instead, ever since you have started posting here at the Forum you have been constantly trying to feed your own ego with stupid predictions and the nonsense that you some sort of tool of God. And lately you have claimed that you are some sort of immortal who both infallible and who has more power than his own God.

It is times like this that I almost wish that there were a God of some sort to show you how terribly wrong you are because no mortal person can ever convince you of how terribly wrong you are.

I've been listening to the "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text" podcast. I think this episode is a better discussion about love that anything Paul Bethke has offered us thus far.

Love: The Man with Two Faces (Book 1, Chapter 17) of podcast Harry Potter and the Sacred Text.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy